• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: New Hololens impressions "demo videos are all basically a lie"

Zedox

Seeing how it works during stage demos doesn't convince me that people will feel as empowered as they seem in the promo videos. I've seen it happen with Kinect, and I feel like it's happening again with Hololens.

He's trying to say that everything works, (you know, the hard part) besides the FOV. The FOV isn't a decades thing. If they "fix" the FOV, it would pretty much work as advertised. That's the point he's trying to make. Kinect couldn't do what was advertised well. This does do it, but in limited FOV. Oh and the occlusion as well.

cakefoo

He's trying to say that everything works, (you know, the hard part) besides the FOV. The FOV isn't a decades thing. If they "fix" the FOV, it would pretty much work as advertised. That's the point he's trying to make. Kinect couldn't do what was advertised well. This does do it, but in limited FOV. Oh and the occlusion as well.
Drawing virtual 3D objects in our physical space is attainable. What's up in the air is figuring out what applications are practical and intuitive enough that people will be willing to purchase and wear a visor.

Zedox

Drawing virtual 3D objects in our physical space is attainable. What's up in the air is figuring out what applications are practical and intuitive enough that people will be willing to purchase and wear a visor.

I mean...let's say the FOV is solved as is occlusion. Gaming is really easy in this case.

1. Yu-Gi-Oh...like I don't think I really need to describe this but if you ask I shall.
2. "holographic TV" where basically shows can be shot with the same effect that you have at IMAX theaters but you have objects come much closer (say a bullet come out of the screen, or like the Ring).
3. The whole "setup" they had on the demo stage (weather, picture, TV, etc...)
etc...

I think the "wearing a visor" thing won't be such a issue as if it was Google Glass (meant to be worn everywhere). To me, for consumers, it would be more of an enhancement to certain things that you want to do at home. I'm not saying that you won't see people outside wearing it but it's more of a "at home" or "at work" device than something you use everywhere like a smartphone.

Gestault

The applications for entertainment, group productivity, telecommunication and enhanced training/education seem mostly self-evident.

The bigger issue is that they want this to be a mobile device so that could walk around your house with this thing. It needs to be self-contained and not be fenced in by limits. I can't even play my WiiU in my bedroom because there are two walls in the way, and the gamepad loses a connection. Imagine having that limitation with the HoloLens where all of a sudden the device doesn't work because you went behind a wall. That's why it's an all in one system.

While I fully understand this, I'd argue that if the tradeoff for being able to move around freely is a much more confined field of view, it's not worth it.

paulogy

I've been very impressed so far with how well they have thought-out and choreographed these live demonstrations to avoid any image occlusion (situations where the subject or subject's limbs would appear in front of the image). As the projection is just an overlay it will always appear as the topmost layer unless they mask off portions of the image to compensate (while this is certainly feasible, I have yet to see HoloLens demonstrate this)

If you notice in this latest demo, they always have the subject stand to the side of the projection, or behind it, or sit just below it, or walk to a new place on the stage while off camera, but never in front. They even went so far as to have the subject exit behind an oddly placed cabinet on stage, to avoid walking in front of the projection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AADEqLIALk

And they just did it AGAIN during their E3 conference! I love VR and by-extension AR, but I'm sick of seeing these misleading stage demos. They never show it from the player's perspective, always a third party. Then when they show him reaching he is positioned BEHIND the projection so that we see the world on top as we should, because from his perspective in real life it would overlay on top of his hand too and break the immersion. Grr.

Top Bottom