• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Nachtmaer

Even if 4K TVs do penetrate the mainstream, will these systems really be able to do much with it? Or will it will be like this gen and 1080p where they are technically capable, but only a small handful of games actually use it due to the desire for better quality effects and higher polygon counts?

Hell, I'm not even convinced devs will shoot for full 1080p on many games next gen so 4K seems mostly meaningless.

That's basically what I think as well.

Sony will probably use the 4K support as a way to market the PS4 (and their 4K TVs) like they did with CDs, DVDs and BDs in the past.

Re: APU + GPU. If Sony does go for this set up, I guess it'd be reasonable to assume they'll be able to gate off the GPU and use solely the APU to watch movies and such. Perhaps devs might be able to do some GPGPU tasks with the APU's GPU, but I don't think there'll be some sort of crossfire considering how much headaches it can cause. I seem to recall reading something about it being pointless to crossfire a relatively beefy GPU with an integrated one because the performance gain is very little and it doing more harm than good (because of the microstuttering and other bugs). I could be totally wrong about this, but that's just my $0.02.

KageMaru

Even if 4K TVs do penetrate the mainstream, will these systems really be able to do much with it? Or will it will be like this gen and 1080p where they are technically capable, but only a small handful of games actually use it due to the desire for better quality effects and higher polygon counts?

Hell, I'm not even convinced devs will shoot for full 1080p on many games next gen so 4K seems mostly meaningless.

As the others have pointed out 4K support won't mean anything outside of video playback support and I see both systems supporting this. It may be possible to run a game at 4K, but it would look like ass and make it pointless to even be on a platform.

The only the 4K cheerleaders think we'll see any real games at 4K. =p

If you're referring to the mobile GPU talk, no. These systems will not use a mobile GPU.

Reiko

Banned
As the others have pointed out 4K support won't mean anything outside of video playback support and I see both systems supporting this. It may be possible to run a game at 4K, but it would look like ass and make it pointless to even be on a platform.

The only the 4K cheerleaders think we'll see any real games at 4K. =p

If you're referring to the mobile GPU talk, no. These systems will not use a mobile GPU.

Lumines 4K?

Child of 4K?

REZ 4K?

Super Stardust 4K?

Rayman doesn't 'look like ass' and should easily run at 4k on these systems. I'm not a 4k enthusiast but I think some games could support it if Sony has any interest at all.

KageMaru

Lumines 4K?

Child of 4K?

REZ 4K?

Super Stardust 4K?

Well maybe I the term "real games" was wrong. =p I don't see any high production AAAAAAAAA games in 4K.

Rayman doesn't 'look like ass' and should easily run at 4k on these systems. I'm not a 4k enthusiast but I think some games could support it if Sony has any interest at all.

You're right, Rayman doesn't look like ass. I wasn't clear with my comment earlier, but I also wouldn't use games like Rayman to prove the point that 4K gaming is going to be a big deal on these new consoles. Besides it doesn't just come down to whether or not something can run at 4K, they also have to make sure to create assets that look good as such a high resolution. It's added cost for very minimum benefit or gain.

No, more the fact Sony are going for a bespoke crossfire setup.

Oh, well I'm not convinced we'll see that either. =p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still don't see what's different between that patent and nvidia Optimus. That switches automatically between the IGP and dedicated GPU for individual apps, on the fly, no rebooting necessary. And I'd expect an nvidia GPU and an intel HD4000 to qualify as different architectures

Perkel

Banned
from other thread about recent Sony patent.

Jeff what do you think about it ? And what would be cost for that configuration of ram ?

perkel said:
I changed a little bit graph to point important parts from console perspective:

jbsRWNAGFv3fVu.jpg

Which would point that:

MAIN RAM will be slower and there will be a lot of it (cost effective)
VRAM1/VRAM2 will be ultra fast (GDDR5) but we don't know exactly which GPU A or B will be main gpu.

We can safely assume that one of them will have rather big fast memory (GDDR5) and other will have smaller memory and slower (GDDR3)

My bet:

MAIN RAM : 8GB DDR3/DDR4 ram
VRAM1 : 2GB GDDR5 ram
VRAM2 : 512MB GDDR3 ram

GPU2 will be mainly for system use and it will give also deliver multitasking without slowering games performance (voice chat in games, internet browser in games etc

That amount of RAM and type is cheap especially considering they will be buying tons of those.
We can safely assume Sony is not holding back and it's going bonkers.

With recent news of HD8000M we can even speculate that low power HD8xxxM chip like can be used for system and better GPU for games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only problem with a dual PU and the smaller one being used for Low Power tasks like system OS and media streaming, is that its overkill for that.

Perkel

Banned
The only problem with a dual PU and the smaller one being used for Low Power tasks like system OS and media streaming, is that its overkill for that.

Why overkill ? HD8xxxM doesn't mean it's created from gold instead of silicon like HD7000 but more advanced architecture low power HD8xxxM could be really cheap and 512 even GDDR3 is cheap. Hell even vita has 512 ram for its os.

KageMaru

Jeff what do you think about it ? And what would be cost for that configuration of ram ?

That would be quite the complex motherboard, but it also sounds similar to the MS patent covered in this article.

Seems like both MS and Sony may be trying to allow multi-functional OS work on a different hardware level within the system, while having specific hardware dedicated to gaming.

I agree. I think the polite proper context is: 4K will be less relevant to PS420 gaming than 1080p was to PS360.

Yeah this is what I mean. =D

AlStrong

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally, Kagey! The flops capacitor is what makes time-power travel possible. O_O

Proof: Mr. Fusion -> AMD Fusion.

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Fusion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

kn45b.gif

If you look carefully, there's an X in the logo. X-Box. 8 points connected together like 8 core CPU AND Windows 8.

Two grey circles = 2x 360 degrees = 720.

----

It is the end of the world, isn't it. :p

That would be quite the complex motherboard, but it also sounds similar to the MS patent covered in this article.

Seems like both MS and Sony may be trying to allow multi-functional OS work on a different hardware level within the system, while having specific hardware dedicated to gaming.
More than that. Read this article by Herb Sutter @ Microsoft. It explains why a X86 CPU was chosen instead of Power or ARM. Explains Distributed computing both local and in the cloud. Microsoft and Sony have plans to support this. This slideshow taken from the article can not be followed, the text article is better. Notice though the blue Infinity symbol for two of the later chapters Edit: which show Visual studio demos of GPU debugging....Xbox Infinity was leaked as a possible name for Xbox 720.

Beyond Fabric communication is a Fabric memory model that has multiple memory models with a unified address scheme, Fusion does not require a unified memory pool. X86 supports this better than Power or ARM but ARM8 will have routines to fix this to a degree which is why AMD can use it in Super computers and why X86 was used in Super computers to manage Cell clusters.

This is the Fusion future....and Tablets will replace PCs...Surface is a Microsoft Tablet that can plug into a Keyboard....This is why Windows 8 has a touchscreen interface...by 2020 Tablets and PCs will essentially have the same performance and 10Tflop tablets will be possible. AMD has 125 X86 tablets that will use windows 8 in 2013. Cloud service will be the big market. A home Game console will be a local node for distributed processing and will support the tablet or handheld.

AMD is concentrating on Tablet "mobile" APUs and GPUs. GF and TSMC are pushing 20nm using Low Power Mobile Silicon with 20nm APUs second half of 2013.

Ashes

Banned
For those of you wondering how many flops the A10 can muster: theoretically it can produce ~700 gigaflops, but reading about, realistically it's capable of about ~300 or so...

Hopefully somebody corrects me.

ekim

More than that. Read this article by Herb Sutter @ Microsoft. It explains why a X86 CPU was chosen instead of Power or ARM. Explains Distributed computing both local and in the cloud. Microsoft and Sony have plans to support this. This slideshow taken from the article can not be followed, the text article is better. Notice though the blue Infinity symbol for two of the later chapters....Xbox Infinity was leaked as a possible name for Xbox 720.

Beyond Fabric communication is a Fabric memory model that has multiple memory models with a unified address scheme, Fusion does not require a unified memory pool. X86 supports this better than Power or ARM but ARM8 will have routines to fix this to a degree which is why AMD can use it in Super computers and why X86 was used in Super computers to manage Cell clusters.

That blue infinity icon is the visual studio 2010 icon.
visual-studio-2010-logo.png

More than that. Read this article by Herb Sutter @ Microsoft. It explains why a X86 CPU was chosen instead of Power or ARM. Explains Distributed computing both local and in the cloud. Microsoft and Sony have plans to support this. This slideshow taken from the article can not be followed, the text article is better. Notice though the blue Infinity symbol for two of the later chapters....Xbox Infinity was leaked as a possible name for Xbox 720.

This is the Fusion future....and Tablets will replace PCs...Surface is a Microsoft Tablet that can plug into a Keyboard....This is why Windows 8 has a touchscreen interface...by 2020 Tablets and PCs will essentially have the same performance and 10Tflop tablets will be possible.

As far as I know that's the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 logo.

Edit: too late ^^

DieH@rd

Banned
Depends on the codec. You would need around 20-30 MBit for a 1080p movie in bluray quality.
For 4k you would need 4 times the bandwidth.

Newly adopted H265 codec provides same video quality as current Bluray movies with 50% smaller bitrate. Hollywood will start using it when 4K content come closer to consumer stage.

Newly adopted H265 codec provides same video quality as current Bluray movies with 50% smaller bitrate. Hollywood will start using it when 4K content come closer to consumer stage.

http://www.scoop.it/t/digital-cinema-tools/p/2477638585/when-will-h-265-hevc-arrive-and-what-will-it-mean-for-mpeg-dash said:
"Last year's MPEG standards buzz was around DASH (dynamic adaptive streaming over HTTP) which provides a standardized way to segment H.264-based MP4 files for fragmented delivery. This year's end-of-year buzz may very well be around the high-efficiency video coding (HEVC) codec set to replace H.264.

Known as H.265, the specification is currently in its draft stage, with the most recent draft being released last week. Hot on the heels of MPEG LA's call for essential HEVC patents, which we covered last month, the newest H.265 draft -- Draft 6 -- is now available for your reading pleasure in a Zip file.

Draft 6 appears to be solid enough, addressing a number of outstanding questions from previous drafts, so we suspect MPEG is nearing the end of its draft versions and setting the stage for an early 2013 release of the codec."
4K blu-ray players will probably be shown at CES but until the standard is published there won't be any commercial 4K blu-ray disks. That is going to be about when both the PS4 and Xbox 720 are shipping give or take a few months.

Vol5

I'm no Rigby, but my guess is the VRAM has to be the same for both A & B. The patent calls for VRAM to VRAM content switch in the case of a low power GPU becoming active.

2x2GB GDDR5!!

Sony PlayMemories Studio for PS3 gets 4K TV support

The new version also allows for archiving photos and videos in 720p HD resolution. There are ten new background music tracks to choose between, along with 29 new sound effects.

Those buying a new Sony digital camera or camcorder will get a free copy of PlayMemories Studio, as will PlayStation Plus subscribers. Everyone else gets a 30-day trial, after which they’ll have to buy the app from the PlayStation Store.

KageMaru

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally, Kagey! The flops capacitor is what makes time-power travel possible. O_O

Proof: Mr. Fusion -> AMD Fusion.

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Fusion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

kn45b.gif

If you look carefully, there's an X in the logo. X-Box. 8 points connected together like 8 core CPU AND Windows 8.

Two grey circles = 2x 360 degrees = 720.

----

It is the end of the world, isn't it. :p

Wow great find Al! Keep up the great work like this and you may one day reach the level of our tech prophet Jeff Rigby!

More than that. Read this article by Herb Sutter @ Microsoft. It explains why a X86 CPU was chosen instead of Power or ARM. Explains Distributed computing both local and in the cloud. Microsoft and Sony have plans to support this. This slideshow taken from the article can not be followed, the text article is better. Notice though the blue Infinity symbol for two of the later chapters Edit: which show Visual studio demos of GPU debugging....Xbox Infinity was leaked as a possible name for Xbox 720.

This is the Fusion future....and Tablets will replace PCs...Surface is a Microsoft Tablet that can plug into a Keyboard....This is why Windows 8 has a touchscreen interface...by 2020 Tablets and PCs will essentially have the same performance and 10Tflop tablets will be possible. AMD has 125 X86 tablets that will use windows 8 in 2013. Cloud service will be the big market. A home Game console will be a local node for distributed processing and will support the tablet or handheld.

AMD is concentrating on Tablet "mobile" APUs and GPUs. GF and TSMC are pushing 20nm using Low Power Mobile Silicon with 20nm APUs second half of 2013.

It's amazing how you can pull so much out of so little, but somehow you can't read a direct comment from within the company and comprehend the text you're reading.

I would drop the 20nm preaching, or you're just going to look more silly come next year.

Sony PlayMemories Studio for PS3 gets 4K TV support

The new version also allows for archiving photos and videos in 720p HD resolution. There are ten new background music tracks to choose between, along with 29 new sound effects.

Those buying a new Sony digital camera or camcorder will get a free copy of PlayMemories Studio, as will PlayStation Plus subscribers. Everyone else gets a 30-day trial, after which they’ll have to buy the app from the PlayStation Store.

What does any of this have to do with next gen or the ps4?

It's amazing how you can pull so much out of so little, but somehow you can't read a direct comment from within the company and comprehend the text you're reading.

I would drop the 20nm preaching, or you're just going to look more silly come next year.
I posted the link you cited weeks ago on NeoGAF and SemiAccurate and got this response:
Stuckey said:
jeff_rigby said:
That eliminates 20nm as a possibility for the PS4 and Xbox 3. It also means that AMD probably lost the Apple contract.
Err, doesn't that refer to their 'mainstream' product roadmap ? Would it necessarily have to apply to a supposedly secret chip being built as a custom job ? Bit of a broad assumption maybe ?
He's right and at a minimum the memory is likely to be @ 20nm. I also posted sweetvar26 posts that said "Starsha GNB 28nm TSMC" and speculated that GNB was originally from a near future mobile APU @ 20nm that is being modified and used in the PS4 @ 28nm.

What does any of this have to do with next gen or the ps4?
It sets a minimum standard if the PS3 can support 4K that the PS4 can match or exceed.

It's not supporting 4K, read what you posted again. Just supporting the ability to play on those tvs.

It supports 4k still image display, but it already did that with a Sony 4k Projector already so they've just added the same thing to TVs. no big news. Presumably the extra time taken to transmit the 4k image makes it unsuitable for video. (15fps??)

It's not supporting 4K, read what you posted again. Just supporting the ability to play on those tvs.

It supports 4k still image display, but it already did that with a Sony 4k Projector already so they've just added the same thing to TVs. no big news. Presumably the extra time taken to transmit the 4k image makes it unsuitable for video. (15fps??)

Both of you are wrong. It's supporting the "playback" of 4k images in that resolution. It had support for images up to 4k for a long time, but you can only view it max in 1080p with the ability to zoom in. Now you can output at full 4k for the image. This is a new feature.

I've used Play Memories a lot.

Both of you are wrong. It's supporting the "playback" of 4k images in that resolution. It had support for images up to 4k for a long time, but you can only view it max in 1080p with the ability to zoom in. Now you can output at full 4k for the image. This is a new feature.

I've used Play Memories a lot.

Do you have a 4K Projector VPL-VW1000ES?
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?&news_id=450

That was posted in the year 1900, so it can't be that new.

Anyway I agree that this really doesn't say anything about the PS4, we all know Sony have an interest in 4K.

KageMaru

I posted the link you cited weeks ago on NeoGAF and SemiAccurate and got this response:
He's right and at a minimum the memory is likely to be @ 20nm. I also posted sweetvar26 posts that said "Starsha GNB 28nm TSMC" and speculated that GNB was originally from a near future mobile APU @ 20nm that is being modified and used in the PS4 @ 28nm.

It sets a minimum standard if the PS3 can support 4K that the PS4 can match or exceed.

So you expect me to believe some random person on another forum?

Also I think we all already expected 4K picture support in the PS4/720.

PS4 may not have 4K games, but it's definitely supporting 4K movies. I doubt the 720 will.

Look at sony's roadmap for 4K and pretty obvious the PS4 is along that road. :)

Tripolygon

Banned
So you expect me to believe some random person on another forum?

Also I think we all already expected 4K picture support in the PS4/720.

Nope, nobody expects you to believe anything since pretty much everything posted in this thread are all speculations.

KageMaru said:

So what if he is wrong come next year, He never claimed to have some insider knowledge. All he does is speculate from information that are out there.

KageMaru

PS4 may not have 4K games, but it's definitely supporting 4K movies. I doubt the 720 will.

If one supports 4K in any way, it should be trivial for the other to as well. I just see no point in even discussing 4K when it won't have any meaningful impact on the games we will play.

Nope, nobody expects you to believe anything since pretty much everything posted in this thread are all speculations.

So what if he is wrong come next year, He never claimed to have some insider knowledge. All he does is speculate from information that are out there.

I give up. People want to follow him, ask him questions, and act like he actually has a clue what he's speculating about, go right ahead. I don't care for how he misleads people here, that's my main issue.

Tripolygon

Banned
I give up. People want to follow him, ask him questions, and act like he actually has a clue what he's speculating about, go right ahead. I don't care for how he misleads people here, that's my main issue.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You are the intellectual savior trying to save us non-intellectuals from jeff because he doesn't know anything and doesn't understand what he is speculating about. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do you mean he's been misleading people? He's never claimed to have any insider information and has always stated that his posts are speculation. I don't agree with everything he says but he contributes to discussion in this thread and I've learned a lot from his posts.

KageMaru

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You are the intellectual savior trying to save us non-intellectuals from jeff because he doesn't know anything and doesn't understand what he is speculating about. Lol

I really don't get how you formed that impression, but no. There have been multiple people, better informed than myself, who have corrected him in the past just for him to continue with his song and dance.

I'm done though, so there's no need for you to come to his defense.

What do you mean he's been misleading people? He's never claimed to have any insider information and has always stated that his posts are speculation.

Admittedly I worded that poorly. I just see how some hang on his posts or speculation and sometimes I scratch my head. You're right though, I don't think he intentionally misleads people, but what he finds can be way out there.

If one supports 4K in any way, it should be trivial for the other to as well. I just see no point in even discussing 4K when it won't have any meaningful impact on the games we will play.

Yes the 720 could support 4K if MS wanted it to but i don't think they will. Thats just not MS's focus. Look at sony and that's all they breath nowadays.

It won't have an impact next gen but i still believe we will see small PSN titles in that resolution just so sony can they have it and the competition doesn't. You know how they love gimmicks.

But just as everyone else in this thread, im just speculating.

Admittedly I worded that poorly. I just see how some hang on his posts or speculation and sometimes I scratch my head. You're right though, I don't think he intentionally misleads people, but what he finds can be way out there.

Well he does actually find things whether relevent or not. Much less sinister than people like Ideaman from the WiiU speculation thread who was worshipped by the nintendo faithful there and was a big part of why people expected it to be a decent jump over current gen.

StevieP

Banned

Even the GPU chip family in the Wii U can technically do 2k output. Doesn't mean you're going to see it put to use. Certainly for most games we should all expect an absolute cap of 1080p.

Well he does actually find things whether relevent or not. Much less sinister than people like Ideaman from the WiiU speculation thread who was worshipped by the nintendo faithful there and was a big part of why people expected it to be a decent jump over current gen.

IdeaMan said "360+" which is basically what it is when you look at the system as a whole. His details were convoluted in eccentric riddles but his details were also correct.

As far as this thread... No mobile GPUs, no unproven/low quantity lithography, and no 24 ram chip motherboards are probably the directions we should take, no?

Yes the 720 could support 4K if MS wanted it to but i don't think they will. Thats just not MS's focus. Look at sony and that's all they breath nowadays.

It won't have an impact next gen but i still believe we will see small PSN titles in that resolution just so sony can they have it and the competition doesn't. You know how they love gimmicks.

But just as everyone else in this thread, im just speculating.
MS will support 4k movies for sure. Gameplay might just be upscaled stuff tho.

Raistlin

I think I read recently there wasn't an 1080p standard for hdmi at the point where 360 released too.
Either you read wrong or the info was errant. 1080p60 was supported in the HDMI 1.0 spec, which was released at the end of 2002.

Didn't the PS3 have to come out first for it to happen?
No. Sony waited for HDMI 1.3 because they required Dolby True HD/DTS Master Audio for BluRay support (and to a lesser extent, Deep Color ... though that's more of a bullet point than anything).

That's what I mean, 1.2 only had the bandwidth for 1080i, but again I could be wrong. Anyway never mind I'm going off topic.
Yep ... that's wrong.

Raistlin

How much bandwidth would you need to stream a 4K film?
When you say stream, do you mean from an online service or in terms of I/O bandwidth?

For the latter, current estimates of h.265 put it at approximately half the bandwidth of h.264 ... so basically 2x the bandwidth of BD video (4 x the resolution / 2). Of course that's assuming all things are equal which I hope is not the case. I'd like the BD 4k video spec to at least move forward with 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampling, 10-bit color, and support for higher framerates. So maybe 5-6x current BD?

Note: Full speed HDMI 1.3/1.4 already has bandwidth well in excess of what BD video requires. So it's not like they'd need anywhere near that sort of bandwidth increase to actually support the above. I'd have to run the numbers to estimate the required clockrate/bandwidth ... but I'm off to bed.

Top Bottom