• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gemüsepizza;46931431 said:
Maybe Microsoft is getting nervous and they start controlled leaking because of those rumors about PS4 being more powerful.

I don't think we're getting controlled leaks at all. Both platforms just sent out newer dev kits with ubdated final targets to a lot more devs than previously had access so people are more likely to leak since it'll be a lot harder to track.

Gemüsepizza;46931431 said:
Maybe Microsoft is getting nervous and they start controlled leaking because of those rumors about PS4 being more powerful.

or they could just make up stuff and it will be just as good.

THE:MILKMAN

I really hope the new info is for Orbis on Monday. I mean we still really have no actual info on Orbis outside of what was in the old devkit and a vague "SoC based dev kit" with no info.

I'll wait patiently and curiously.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really don't get the motivation behind leaking. As long as its incomplete and not about any of the games I'm happy though.

People want information, sites want to be the first with information, and people don't like not being able to give information due to annoying restrictions. Simple as that.

ZaCH3000

Hopes, dreams, fantasies, rationality, comparison and its ramifications, constructive criticism, cynicism, berating, flamebaiting, trolling, multiple interpreting etc.

Explains this thread in a nutshell.

Cool, new news on Monday! If VGLeaks or another site does this every Monday its going to feel like a lonnnnnnng wait until we get an official reveal.

B.O.O.M

I hope VGLeaks article is about both Durango AND Orbis

their last Orbis article had almost no new info. WOuld like ot hear more about the controller, wizard Jizz, camera etc etc

onQ123

on the subject of BC I think Sony can use the same method that they use when recompiling PS2 games to run on the PS3 , & how they can compile the PS3 code to run on the PlayStation Vita & just add a hardware re-compiler chip in the PS4 that can recompile PS3 code to run on the PS4 hardware in real time.

like Jit but instead of doing it in software have a chip that can do this without the CPU taking a hit.

on the subject of BC I think Sony can use the same method that they use when recompiling PS2 games to run on the PS3 , & how they can compile the PS3 code to run on the PlayStation Vita & just add a hardware re-compiler chip in the PS4 that can recompile PS3 code to run on the PS4 hardware in real time.

like Jit but instead of doing it in software have a chip that can do this without the CPU taking a hit.

Compilation doesn't happen in real time. And if it's going to be in there, it'll be software BC. Sony isn't about to add more manufacturing costs to put hardware bc in. They learned their lesson.

onQ123

Compilation doesn't happen in real time. And if it's going to be in there, it'll be software BC. Sony isn't about to add more manufacturing costs to put hardware bc in. They learned their lesson.

JIT Compilation is fast enough in software I'm just saying if they made a hardware chip that could re compile the code in realtime making a PS3 game a PS4 game in real time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
but there is talk of a compute unit to augment the CPU, which theoretically could be CELL or a bunch of SPEs. Unlikely but you never know.

Moosichu

I know its unlikely, but I would by Orbis so much more easily if I knew I could put any PlayStation disc in there and play it. In fact I think HD collections are going to make it more likely to happen because how else are we going to play the current ones?

Ashes

Banned

?

I though it was per game software emulation.

onQ123

?

I though it was per game software emulation.

maybe I should have explained that better, from the PS2 Emulation Patent the PS2 code is being recompiled by the PS3 in software using JIT recompilation to make the PS2 code PS3 code on the fly.

Sony also talked about how they can recompile PS3 Code to run right on the PS Vita.

I'm just saying take what they know about recompiling PS2 code on the PS3 in software & what they know about recompiling PS3 code for PS Vita & use it to make a chip that can do it in real time without the CPU taking a hit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
maybe I should have explained that better, from the PS2 Emulation Patent the PS2 code is being recompiled by the PS3 in software using JIT recompilation to make the PS2 code PS3 code on the fly.

Sony also talked about how they can recompile PS3 Code to run right on the PS Vita.

I'm just saying take what they know about recompiling PS2 code on the PS3 in software & what they know about recompiling PS3 code for PS Vita & use it to make a chip that can do it in real time without the CPU taking a hit.

Even if it isn't possible in real time for PS3, if it is possible to recompile at all, you could patch the games like Xbox 360 did with Xbox titles?

Tratorn

When did they say that? I think there would be way more ps3-ports for vita if that was possible.
Afaik they only said that the tools for vita help a lot to make a ps3-port, but of course the port will take time and effort.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™

So they patented what all the other emulator have been doing for the last 14 years.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
What are the chances that these "leaks" are Sony/Microsoft orchistrated. Dunno it all seems a good way to gaugh public response without revealing the thing. Besides the hype train is also being kickstarted.

What are the chances that these "leaks" are Sony/Microsoft orchistrated. Dunno it all seems a good way to gaugh public response without revealing the thing. Besides the hype train is also being kickstarted.

you have got to be kidding me...especially regarding Sony. They are trying to concentrate on PS3 atm, I doubt they like these leaks. MS might be ok with it since the only exclusive they have left is Gears of war judgement.

when you give shitty devs a dev kit, leaks are bound to occur.

PaulLFC

Probably the VG leaks thing.
I seriously doubt VGLeaks won't have at least something tomorrow. Their entire site is built on leaks and being the first with said leaks, hence the name. If they tease a leak, there's going to be one, otherwise why would they even post the image.

Being a leaks site and teasing a leak only to not have one (unless there's good reason) would just piss people off.

onQ123

When did they say that? I think there would be way more ps3-ports for vita if that was possible.
Afaik they only said that the tools for vita help a lot to make a ps3-port, but of course the port will take time and effort.

I was talking about this

Sony staff demoed a handful of upcoming first-party NGP titles, including Uncharted, Little Deviants and WipEout. The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".

With Sony urging developers to create releases that work across PS3 and NGP, the implications of this are significant. "They want us to do cross-platform," said the source, explaining that the submission process has been streamlined, with only a single submission required for a title on PSN and NGP.

The publisher also moved to reassure developers that the technical hurdles of cross-platform development were being kept as low as possible.

"Any shaders for PS3 stuff will just work," said the source. "We won't have to rewrite. What would have taken two-to-three months before looks like it could take just one-to-two weeks now. The architecture is obviously different, but it's the same development environment."

they made the PS Vita so it can run a lot of the PS3 code. The PS4 shouldn't have a problem running most of the PS3 code & what it can't run they should have a chip that can recompile the code from PS3 code to PS4 code on the fly using the knowledge that they have about running the code on different platforms.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Last Monday:

World Exclusive: Durango unveiled

21 Jan 2013

As we promised during the weekend in the next weeks we will unveil Durango and Orbis. All the technical info you want to know about the next generation machines from Sony and Microsoft. The first one is Durango. In this article we present the system overview with the general (...)

And as some people noticed they post something about Durango, then Orbis, Durango again, etc. So expect Orbis news tomorrow, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed.

ZaCH3000

Didn't we have Orbis news this past Thursday?
I'm guessing it's going to be Durango.

We did, but nothing exciting. Come to think of it, both leaks were rather unsurprising. There was a tweet that claimed tomorrow VGLeaks will release more Orbis info. Who knows. It can be either or for all I care I need more next-gen info!

THE:MILKMAN

Didn't we have Orbis news this past Thursday?
I'm guessing it's going to be Durango.

Yes. But Kotaku beat them to the punch didn't they? If I was them and SuperDaE is their main source, I'd release everything I have.

Of course, VGLeaks could be SuperDaE for all we know.

Top Bottom