• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks - Playstation 4 includes hUMA technology

MercuryLS

Banned
THE_LEGEND_OF_HUMA_1299528447P.jpg

neeeerd.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
hUMA - Heterogeneous Unified Memory Access

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/hsa10.pdf

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/04/30/amd-huma-heterogeneous-unified-memory-acces/

"HUMA is essentially just a bit of branding that refers to the single memory address space the company's upcoming HSA APUs will be using. It harks back to the Unified Memory Access nomenclature of early multicore CPUs - where each CPU core started to share the same memory - adding in heterogeneous in reference to HSA.

HSA isn't just an AMD project, though, it is centred around the HSA Foundation "whose goal is to make it easyto program for parallel computing." The foundation includes such other high profile members as ARM, Qualcomm and Samsung.

The arrival of HSA is still some way off, with the first AMD chips set to use the architecture expected to arrive early next year. However, the PlayStation 4 is expected to feature an HSA type processor, so we'll see some indication of what we can look forward to when that console arrives in Q4 this year."

HSA-HUMA-04.jpg

HSA-HUMA.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
this is the 3rd thread I've read on it....and I still don't have a clue to what it is. #TruthFact
That's our own fault then. The hUMA threads I've read all had concise explanations by members (sometimes quoted in the OP) that explained what hUMA is and why people think it could be a big deal, if adopted.

demolitio

This doesn't sound as good as "secret sauce" still. No, seriously, I heard secret sauce brought up again in the X1 tech thread which blew my mind that people could naively believe that takes away any differences between consoles.

Whether or not the differences matter is the question and we all know Sony's studios will make sure people know there's a difference so it comes down to third-party games. I actually wish these consoles were even so games can be pushed as far as possible. :(

seems likes its going to be like this gen all over. Multiplats will have negligible differences while Sony first party will look half a generation ahead of everything else.

roMonster

More efficient use of GPGPU for calculating stuff. This here is an example of GPGPU-accelerated fur simulation (proprietary to NVIDIA, but it's valid as a general example):

(before/after)

furz6yt5.gif

Also, the interaction between CPU/GPU is more efficient, for instance, the exchange of display lists (rendering instructions).

Makes me wonder about the people saying the PS4 will just have 'a few extra effects' over the xbox1 version of multiplats and that will be that. What if something like this is the effect thats cut...

Top Bottom