• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
elrechazao said:
sorry to give contra-advise, but I don't reccomend the KSO for sidewalk running.

Try the Bikala or the Trek sport, both have a bit more padding and tread which I find beneficial for concrete surfaces.

Love my KSO's but extended sidewalk-ing does me in in them.

Took my KSOs out on a 8 mile trail run, stubbed my foot and now they have a hole on the inside edge of the big toe =(. Feels really weird when going slow but I don't really notice when going at a brisker pace. Kinda sad they tore so easy though.

dLMN8R

I've gone on 7-8 mile hikes with the Trek Sports, and 2-3 mile runs before. They work well for concrete running.

Definitely get them in a store. The sizes are tough to match, and you want to buy from a place like REI that will let you do returns no questions asked.

NomarTyme

evilpigking said:
Took my KSOs out on a 8 mile trail run, stubbed my foot and now they have a hole on the inside edge of the big toe =(. Feels really weird when going slow but I don't really notice when going at a brisker pace. Kinda sad they tore so easy though.
Shoe goo.

MAN! I really want the new balance ones though, but my KSO is still working!

scola said:
sorry to give contra-advise, but I don't reccomend the KSO for sidewalk running.

Try the Bikala or the Trek sport, both have a bit more padding and tread which I find beneficial for concrete surfaces.

Love my KSO's but extended sidewalk-ing does me in in them.
I hate the bikila for that reason. Too shoe-y. The whole point of these for me is to protect my feet enough to have a real barefoot experience - I don't want padding or support.

East Lake

BertramCooper said:
Thanks for the recommendations!

Should I buy direct or find a store?
I'd go to a store first to at least find the right size, I wasn't a good fit for the vibram sizing chart, my toes needed quite a lot more room to feel comfortable.

Also the KSO should be fine for sidewalks as long as you adjust your stride and ease into the new running style appropriately. The only downside I've noticed for the KSO is that there's almost no grip on a flat, wet surface, which tends only to be an issue I've had when hiking. Heavy mud be quite slippery too.

Hey all, I'm hoping for a Vibram model suggestion. I've been running in regular training shoes for 20 years now, but I'm really interested in easing in to running with Vibrams.

I just did the Warrior Dash this past weekend, and think those would be great for those races, like the Tough Mudder. So which Vibram model would you guys suggest for training? My routes are a mix of sidewalks and grass.

dLMN8R

doctordoak said:
Hey all, I'm hoping for a Vibram model suggestion. I've been running in regular training shoes for 20 years now, but I'm really interested in easing in to running with Vibrams.

I just did the Warrior Dash this past weekend, and think those would be great for those races, like the Tough Mudder. So which Vibram model would you guys suggest for training? My routes are a mix of sidewalks and grass.
The TrekSport is great for running and light hikes, which is what I have, and would be nice on grass, but if you're into longer distance you might want to pick a model with less tread that's exclusively meant for running.

Foxix Von

Went out with the girlfriend and we snagged a pair of these today together. However, my middle toe is substantially longer than my big toe. It took some fighting but after trying on some pairs I settled on a brown pair of KSO treks which somehow fit like a glove despite my weird toe.

Holy crap these things are COMFY. I almost don't even want to go back to regular shoes. After wearing these for a bit today putting on my old shoes immediately felt strange and foreign, sort of floaty and wrong. Really looking forward to breaking them in some more tomorrow, consider me a believer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to pop in and say that I recently picked up a pair of the basic black model. I had been thinking about getting them for a long time, but didn't want to order online. Yesterday, after work, I happened upon a shop that carried a ton of different Vibram models. I immediately went in to try them on, and 20 minutes later I walked out of the store in my new Vibrams!

I've been doing a lot of barefoot walking around outside since summer began, and these come really close to that feeling, while offering better grip, being somewhat protective and a bit more socially acceptable! I absolutely love them and find that it's hard to go back to normal shoes, now.

Foxix said:
However, my middle toe is substantially longer than my big toe. It took some fighting but after trying on some pairs I settled on a brown pair of KSO treks which somehow fit like a glove despite my weird toe.

Have you tried heating up the rubber for the middle toe (while it's off!) and stretching it?
There's a few websites out there that talk about this but I like this guy's approach:
Morton's Toe Mod for VFF

Also, I've had my KSO's for a few years now. Love them and there's still hardly any wear on them!

Foxix Von

ridethepiggy said:
Have you tried heating up the rubber for the middle toe (while it's off!) and stretching it?
There's a few websites out there that talk about this but I like this guy's approach:
Morton's Toe Mod for VFF

Also, I've had my KSO's for a few years now. Love them and there's still hardly any wear on them!

Considering that I just picked them up today, no I hadn't thought about it. While it seems easy enough, honestly the fit is somehow just about perfect. Where we went they just measured by whichever is the longest toe, and found this particular pair of KSO's that just fit darn near perfect. Actually, I'm not sure if it's intended but the general shape of these things is very "shoe like" in that the middle toe on mine seems ever so slightly longer than the big toe. Not sure how I managed to find a wacky misshapen pair like that but I did!

Foxix said:
Considering that I just picked them up today, no I hadn't thought about it. While it seems easy enough, honestly the fit is somehow just about perfect. Where we went they just measured by whichever is the longest toe, and found this particular pair of KSO's that just fit darn near perfect. Actually, I'm not sure if it's intended but the general shape of these things is very "shoe like" in that the middle toe on mine seems ever so slightly longer than the big toe. Not sure how I managed to find a wacky misshapen pair like that but I did!

Every pair is a bit different!

My fiancee had to change out hers a few times due to some poor construction (at the time, Vibram was getting hit hard with supply problems and manufacturing quality was going downhill) and each time they felt different.

After a few weeks, you'll break'em in and they'll treat you nice. :)

Foxix Von

ridethepiggy said:
Every pair is a bit different!

My fiancee had to change out hers a few times due to some poor construction (at the time, Vibram was getting hit hard with supply problems and manufacturing quality was going downhill) and each time they felt different.

After a few weeks, you'll break'em in and they'll treat you nice. :)

Definitely looking forward to it! Should be good fun and thanks for the heads up about that mod. I'm imagining things will probably only break in and stretch out and get even more comfy but it's good to keep in mind in case something horrible happens with my comfort level.

ridethepiggy said:
What do you primarily use them for? The guy at the store told me if I mainly use it for gym it should last a long time, although he said something like a year or so, which I thought was kinda short. He said if I run outside with them it would be less. He's worn them himself for years so figured he would know.

I noticed mine felt stretched out after a few weeks and I went through a new "adjustment" period getting used to the feel again. They are really easy to get on and off now.

elrechazao said:
I hate the bikila for that reason. Too shoe-y. The whole point of these for me is to protect my feet enough to have a real barefoot experience - I don't want padding or support.

I would second the recommendation of the Biklias if your running on cement. I used the KSO's for the exact reason your stating because I wanted them to be as minimal as possible and I got a couple stress fractures mostly because I was pushing it to hard but also because concrete can be murder on your feet. You can start getting more distance out of the Biklias.

parrotbeak said:
What do you primarily use them for? The guy at the store told me if I mainly use it for gym it should last a long time, although he said something like a year or so, which I thought was kinda short. He said if I run outside with them it would be less. He's worn them himself for years so figured he would know.

I noticed mine felt stretched out after a few weeks and I went through a new "adjustment" period getting used to the feel again. They are really easy to get on and off now.

Mostly just normal day-to-day stuff.

But where I expect the wear is when I take them out to the river and spend a few hours scaling dry rock and walking across shallow rapids. I also cycle but yeah uh...that doesn't wear shoes at all.

I've ridden my motorcycle in them. I run in them from time to time. Play basketball. Pretty much everything except wear them to work because my company considers them "sandals".

One year wear time is pretty short. I researched these things before I bought a pair and found several bloggers who were trail runners who put 500+ miles on it without signs of wear. I'll have poke around and see if I can find any of those sites again.

All things considered. For the $85-ish on a pair of KSO's, 1 year of hard usage would strengthen your lower leg and give you the satisfaction you need to have you returning to your local REI and buying another pair. :p

I wore my KSOs on a very rocky hike yesterday. The rocks actually hurt a little bit because they were sharp, but I felt more confident in them than I would have in shoes, especially on wet rocks. But towards the end of the hike the pads of my feet felt raw and I was worried about blisters. They are fine today though.

Anyway, I ran into people on the hike who weren't familiar with Vibrams and I realized I don't really know how to pronounce it. I've been saying vaibrams, which isn't even how it's spelled.

I have a problem with running on cement in my KSOs as well but I love wearing them for everything else. Once I broke my pair in... I look for excuses not to wear my normal shoes.

parrotbeak said:
Anyway, I ran into people on the hike who weren't familiar with Vibrams and I realized I don't really know how to pronounce it. I've been saying vaibrams, which isn't even how it's spelled.

I call them VFFs for the most part. Saying Vibram (pronounced like you did, I think) usually refers to the rubber company who makes the shoes. FiveFingers is the style.

I've run into people during hikes in Montana wearing the shoes. That always gets a good chuckle. There's almost a sense of community with other VFF-owners.

ridethepiggy said:
I call them VFFs for the most part. Saying Vibram (pronounced like you did, I think) usually refers to the rubber company who makes the shoes. FiveFingers is the style.

I've run into people during hikes in Montana wearing the shoes. That always gets a good chuckle. There's almost a sense of community with other VFF-owners.
I see them so much at the gym that I forget they are unusual. Was kinda fun seeing people's reactions to them yesterday.

The Lamp

So I just bought some Vibram KSO running/fitness style shoes and omg....my movement and balance has never felt this liberated. I got some originally for just starting a training program for running but as I've been wearing them to get used to them (which I didn't really need to, considering how natural they are) they are just sooo comfortable and supporting. My feet and back feel so much better.

I recommend these fully.

I got black/silver ones that almost look like stylish tennis shoes so they don't look so goofy in public, but they still look pretty goofy....but they're just so good I don't wanna take them off.

le sigh

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
anywhere in the uk they sell these things in stores? For the life of me i cant find one D:

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Do they have any outdoor themed shops where you are? Like, where they sell camping equipment and the like? Those kinds of places usually sell Vibrams.

I never thought of that, im sure there are some near good idea.

Ra1den

Huaraches (mexican running sandals) are a good alternative to Vibrams, and they simulate being barefoot better than Vibrams. I bought a kit and made a pair for like 20 bucks.

I've been hiking in my KSOs a lot, and on dry hikes they are fine, but in mud they suck. Very slippery and mud gets inside easily.

I'm thinking any mesh shoe will let mud in so that might be something i have to live with unless I want to go back to heavy waterproof boots. I'm not sure I want that, since VFFs have spoiled me with their lightness and foot feel.

I'll settle for some VFFs that give a bit more traction on muddy slopes. Anyone try Spyridons?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Spyridon-Mens.htm

The colors suck but if they provide grip I might give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom