• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game developers confess their hidden tricks at last

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
The few frames of grace in which you can still jump after running off the edge of a platform. Named efter:

5eihPU.gif

So the exact opposite to Mega Man on PC back in the day.

I also remember Sega Tennis (or whatever it was called on Dreamcast), where the AI simply refused to get bagled and raised its skill level whenever it got close.

SomTervo

Most 3D action games make enemies hella passive when you don't have the camera on them. This is to avoid getting hit off screen which was something that was common in early games. Of course you can still get hit off screen but the enemies hit far less.

At higher levels of play this is something that you could abuse.

The only action game I ever found this truly obvious in was God Hand. The enemies are insanely aggressive and high-pressure when they're on screen, then if you get surrounded and turn to fight another enemy, the ones behind the camera will take AGES to attack, even if they're right next to you.

I love God Hand but it's definitely one of the game's most action-immersion breaking features.

A lot of "moving levels" in 3D games actually keep your immediate playspace still the entire time, and just move the environment around you instead. It's usually much easier than redesigning your entire movement system to account for moving geo.

Though apparently, the Uncharted 2 train sequence did not use this trick, and actually did go through the trouble of making it "real": http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-among-friends-how-naughty-dog-built-uncharted-2

Presumably Lost Legacy's
equivalent of that level
is the same. I.e. they actually went to all the work to make you really move through the level. The TLL level is
definitely moving because you can leap from the train to a car and drive along side it then jump back on

What I'm more interested in there is how they make the environment loop if you just stand still forever... because surely it loops. I don't have the time/patience to test it.

kuYuri

I had noticed the critical health thing in Gears of War games. Every time you hit critical health where the omen fills up your screen, it takes way more shots than usual after that to actually kill/down you. As if you get an extra protection shield even though you are at low health. This applies to the campaign only and maybe Horde.

Dazza

These are really fascinating. But I kind of feel like I'm seeing how the magician does the trick and its spoiling the entire magic of playing video games, so excuse me as I go wipe my short term memory

Top Bottom