• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita is slowly becoming indie Heaven and I love it.

Malice215

I have yet to touch any of the indie games that are on my PC, but I play them constantly on my Vita. It's the perfect handheld for them.

Indies are nice, but I want more retail stuff with a decent budget like Tearaway and Gravity Rush 2. Ah well, at least Sony seems eager to localise a lot of the weird/niche Japanese games, so that helps. It's nice to be able to look forward to Toukiden and Over My Dead Body 2.

Interestingly enough the ones you named, haven't been $1 yet. La-Mulana's gone on sale a few times, down to $3-7, and Rogue Legacy & Spelunky had 10-20% for pre-order & release, maybe %50-75 during the summer sale (can't remember)... but they haven't made their way into Humble Bundles yet.

Tohsaka

Indies are nice, but I want more retail stuff with a decent budget like Tearaway and Gravity Rush 2. Ah well, at least Sony seems eager to localise a lot of the weird/niche Japanese games, so that helps. It's nice to be able to look forward to Toukiden and Over My Dead Body 2.

As far as I know, they haven't said anything about Over My Dead Body 2 being localized. I know yosp tweeted about it, but that doesn't really mean anything.

As far as I know, they haven't said anything about Over My Dead Body 2 being localized. I know yosp tweeted about it, but that doesn't really mean anything.

That's what I thought too, had me googling for an announcement.

I really hope it happens though.

I really enjoy the indie games I buy on the Vita a lot more than on my PC, they really fit the pick up and play thing handhelds are built for.

Also I've bought quite a few indie games during steam sales but I never touched them due to not having the patience to sit around and play a platformer or puzzle game but they seem to fit well when I'm up and about. Also with the glut of indie games on humble bundles and steam lately, having the few that release on the Vita helps zero in on what I should check out and give my attention too rather than being overwhelmed with the amount of titles available on steam.

Ah gotcha, you definitely got me to at least check the game out.....would be nice to have a PSM sale to show off some of these games

There was a six week period not long after PSM launched where they were giving away a free game every week. I can't remember what all I got.

A very visible "everything is 50 cents" PSM sale would be pretty great, even though I think I own everything I want... they'd have to remove the 100 app limit before getting that aggressive.

I think a lot of people, even Vita owners, don't even know PSM exists... and it's not even in some countries.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have yet to touch any of the indie games that are on my PC, but I play them constantly on my Vita. It's the perfect handheld for them.

I do touch my indies on PC but the ability to have cross save and cross buy/play is huge for Vita/PS3/PS4.

i love it. i may not buy them all upon release, but building up the library is nice. i'm looking forward to a bunch once they go sub 10$.

i guess thats one of the differences for me between larger produced games and indies. there arent many I feel the need to day one....though on the flip side since they are less expensive i can see more snatching them up on release day.

they really are just perfect for a mainly "digital" system.

B.O.O.M

Yeah for now I am enjoying it a lot. A nice selection of fun indie titles + several solid exclusive titles like KZ merc, Tearaway, Ys etc

Copenap

Though 2 out of the 3 games you've mentioned I indeed already bought on pc I totally agree and if the Vita support is further increasing and we'll see simultanous releases on the Vita I would grab the Vita version for most genres even if I have to pay a premium.

For my total Vita joy I'd just need some RPGs in addition to the indies and I would be 100% satisfied.

Mr.Ock

OP, don't forget Binding Of Isaac (Rebirth)! If you haven't played it yet (but you probably have), you'll love it!

I love it too. I owned a large # of indies on Steam but those games I rarely played on PC for one reason or another. I really think the indie games work better in handheld form and I've double dipped on a number of titles and for new titles i'm actually holding off on steam versions to get the Cross buy PS/Vita versions.

I can't wait for the floodgates to open with the PS4/Vita

Alfredo

The Vita is almost my ideal handheld. " Between the success of stuff like XBLA and the iOS App Store, I've wanted a handheld with tons of great downloadable games with TRADITIONAL controls.

Only problems are those damn memory card prices...and potentially that "preparing download" bug or whatever it was. Have they fixed that yet?

OP, don't forget Binding Of Isaac (Rebirth)! If you haven't played it yet (but you probably have), you'll love it!

Even if you have played Binding of Isaac, Rebirth is is being rebuilt from the ground up in a new engine and pixel art style with a lot of improvements, and bringing a new expansion pack's worth of content with it.

KLonso

I've found myself holding out on buying indie games that I know will come to vita, even if I have to pay more. Did that for Spelunky, Hotline Miami and I'm doing it for Fez and Rogue Legacy. Heck, I even own Dustforce on Steam, but I've decided to wait until I get the vita version to play it.

legacyzero

Banned
Good HEAVENS, give me that Minecraft!

Also, I can't wait for Rogue Legacy. Gonna buy that quick as hell. The game is addictive.

sajj316

Though 2 out of the 3 games you've mentioned I indeed already bought on pc I totally agree and if the Vita support is further increasing and we'll see simultanous releases on the Vita I would grab the Vita version for most genres even if I have to pay a premium.

For my total Vita joy I'd just need some RPGs in addition to the indies and I would be 100% satisfied.

It has Persona 4 Golden and Ys: Memories of Celceta (coming soon) in the US. Also,
Atelier Totori Plus. Not a traditional RGP but you also have Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey (soon to Ace), Toukiden, Valhalla Knights 3, Demon Gaze. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention for your SRPG needs.

If they ever localize Tales of Innocence R or Tales of Hearts R ..

Would like more RPGs though ..

I am digging that for sure, but still quite a few of the titles are a bit older that i've already had the pleasure of playing, but still its what i love to play, and if it continues this way i'll be smiling.

sirap

I double dipped on Rayman Origins and Legends. Playing it on a huge ass monitor is nice, but man everything is much more fun played on the Vita.

I'm even starting to play AAA PC games on my shield, makes the two titans I have an overkill :p

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I've doubled dipped on tons of games I've already owned on Steam or 360. I don't turn on my 360 and I don't play games I can play with a controller on my PC. Every game I've doubled dipped on the Vita for is actually the best version too.

Just like how people stick to Steam even if the game is being sold without DRM or for a cheaper price somewhere else, I do the same with Playstation. It's just a better fit, and at some point, the small premium will more worth it than it is already with Remote Play and all that.

Drek

I did too, but I guess they can't play their PC in the subway / toilets / bus / beach...

Nevermind that the Vita's OLED is perfect for indie graphics and that most of them play significantly better on the Vita's controls than any PC alternative (as it'd D-pad is far superior to pretty much any native PC option), and that it's mere seconds from power on to gaming on Vita versus a boot, loading of steam, likely update for Steam, and then loading of the game for PC based play. This when most indie titles lend themselves exceptionally well to short bursts of play.

I'm at this point probably a PC gamer more than anything else and I still prefer indies on Vita by a country mile.

Copenap

It has Persona 4 Golden and Ys: Memories of Celceta (coming soon) in the US. Also,
Atelier Totori Plus. Not a traditional RGP but you also have Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey (soon to Ace), Toukiden, Valhalla Knights 3, Demon Gaze. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention for your SRPG needs.

If they ever localize Tales of Innocence R or Tales of Hearts R ..

Would like more RPGs though ..
Oh, I meant for the future as in if from now on we only get Indies and RPGs that's all I could ever ask for. But quite some games on that list I haven't even touched yet.

Derrick01

Banned
Do you only play exclusives on a system?

What else am I going to play on Vita? It's not exactly swimming in 3rd party content. The only ports it gets are inferior PS3/PC ports and I'm certainly not playing those on Vita. Why would I? I would be subjecting myself to a worse version of a game just to stop one of my machines from becoming a paperweight.

But Golden Abyss and Wipeout 2048 were launch titles!?!

I'm not sure what you mean there. I was talking about Killzone, which to be honest I do not have that much of an urge to play with Shadow Fall coming around the corner.

Ouren

Ah gotcha, you definitely got me to at least check the game out.....would be nice to have a PSM sale to show off some of these games

Yea!

It's hard though apparently, because it's a "different store" than the PSN one, you'll notice that on the SEN site your PSM purchases don't appear. Also, PSM games are simply not searchable, etc.

It's a real problem, and has to do with the fact that PSM is a partnership between Sony Mobile and Playstation.

But thanks! I hope you'll take a look at our game, as well as some other ones (super crate box, 10x8, Rymdkapsel, Chiebura)

My friend who doesn't play indie games at all loves them now because of them being on his Vita and being cheap. He friggin' loved Guacamelee.

i bought la mulana on wii... kinda regret it at this point since vita is portable but as i bought cave story on wii i had to buy it there...

braves01

Banned
It's cool and good for the platform, but not really a strong incentive to spend $200+memory stick for games you can already play (or have already played) elsewhere much more cheaply.

sn00zer

Indy games are just more suited for handheld....when I sit at a tv Im looking for a sort of "big" experience...I dont want to say "movie-like", but big....on my Vita though Im much more willing to play more arcadey games/puzzle games/ 2d platformers

Top Bottom