• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Eh, speculation. App could just be part of the online sub. Free trial is launching while the online is still free. Thread title is jumping the gun imo. Not to say the app wouldn't be an additional charge but that seems too dumb even for Nintendo when everyone would just use discord.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can see why Nintendo are not including the communication features within the hardware. They don't want children being exposed to vulgar language and content and they probably don't want those features taking up the very limited resources of the hardware. We all have a smartphone next to us 24/7 so it makes sense. I'm sure Miiverse will be moved to the smart app too.

I imagine you just pay a monthly fee and then you get access to online play, voice chat, Miiverse etc. Nintendo is not going to make users pay for multiple different companion apps. All these features were introduced under the umbrella of Nintendo Online Service, they are not separate products.

Nozem

This just exemplifies Nintendo being terrible at online stuff.

I can see why Nintendo are not including the communication features within the hardware. They don't want children being exposed to vulgar language and content and they probably don't want those features taking up the very limited resources of the hardware. We all have a smartphone next to us 24/7 so it makes sense.

That's what parental controls are for.

jeemer

this is embarrassing and hints that nintendo still have a really poor grasp of what's needed with regard to a modern online infrastructure on consoles.

the only possible reasoning I can see behind this is that since it removes the chat from being on console, they are less concerned about people being abusive or offensive. since it won't technically be in-game it lets them keep their family friendly image.

So phone app going to connect to Switch and do the online chat/lobby stuff on the console behalf.

Outsourcing to the maximum!

I guess this is the draw-back of the rumored 0.8GB of RAM saved for the OS.

If they really had no OS overhead to do matchmaking and voice chat I can only shudder to think how the UI runs.

What happens if someone calls during gameplay? Hopefully it won't interrupt and everything will remain smooth.

That's funny, but your phone probably has enough RAM to multitask a phone call and a browser if you bought it in the last 4 or 5 years.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can see why Nintendo are not including the communication features within the hardware. They don't want children being exposed to vulgar language and content and they probably don't want those features taking up the very limited resources of the hardware. We all have a smartphone next to us 24/7 so it makes sense.

I'm sure Miiverse will be moved to the smart app too.

That and it is something you could utilize docked on the TV or on the go since it is a phone. Still seems weird not to be on the console itself if true.

"A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017" is incredibly specific wording.

You're kidding me, right?

For such incredibly specific wording, someone must have really fucked up when people are reading "There will be a version of our app that's temporarily free and limited as such!"

when that shit obviously means

"The app is coming, it's free (just to be clear), and it's subject to limitation, because it's a new app tethered to a developing online platform"

and that someone who fucked up?
I'm not sure it's Nintendo.
at least not in this context, LMAO.

We still don't know whether or not the system itself supports voice chat or lobby organization. So this thread is FUD

majik13

Wait what?? You need to pay for online mp AND the app for voice chat? Am I reading correctly?

This is fucking insane if true.

Editted: Oh never mind then the app is part of the online service. But still insane we need a phone to chat (duh?)

So, this thread has no new information then?

No,prob just part of the sub fee

Aikidoka

But no voice chat will be available til summer? Or is that just a free trial to coincide with Splatoon and get people to subscribe?

This is so backwards.

I can see why Nintendo are not including the communication features within the hardware. They don't want children being exposed to vulgar language and content and they probably don't want those features taking up the very limited resources of the hardware. We all have a smartphone next to us 24/7 so it makes sense. I'm sure Miiverse will be moved to the smart app too.

I imagine you just pay a monthly fee and then you get access to online play, voice chat, Miiverse etc. Nintendo is not going to make users pay for multiple different companion apps. All these features were introduced under the umbrella of Nintendo Onkie Service, they are not separate products.

Almost every kid out there has a smartphone...

Hip Hop

Already off to a great start by not offering a free pack in mic.

You really are gonna usher in a great community like that.

If they really had no OS overhead to do matchmaking and voice chat I can only shudder to think how the UI runs.

That's funny, but your phone probably has enough RAM to multitask a phone call and a browser if you bought it in the last 4 or 5 years.

I dunno... If someone calls while I'm chatting with friends in Discord it interrupts it and then I have to log off and back on Discord after.

We really shouldn't be making threads with definitive sounding titles when the entire contents are whether or not it's accurate or not. We have no idea if this is a companion app and this functionality is on the device or not

But it does sound worrying...

But no voice chat will be available til summer? Or is that just a free trial to coincide with Splatoon and get people to subscribe?

Are there even any online games available before summer and Splatoon? Which, I might add, probably won't have voice chat anyway.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That and it is something you could utilize docked on the TV or on the go since it is a phone. Still seems weird not to be on the console itself if true.

It would be very awkward to use these features in docked mode as there is no touchscreen available, it's not like the Wii U and 3DS where the second screen was always available. Posting on Miiverse with a joypad would be a chore.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm going to say the Switch won't do voice chat without the app. If it could, why would I use my phone to be the voice chat client?
An app for the system is fine, but voice chat?

They can't be that dumb, right?

Kathian

Banned

I don't think any games support it until...Well actually people will never use this anyway on a Nintendo console!

Neku89

I get why are they doing this (little kids and whatnot), but it's still easily the most stupid thing about the whole Switch debacle.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You're kidding me, right?

For such incredibly specific wording, someone must have really fucked up when people are reading "There will be a version of our app that's temporarily free and limited as such!"

when that shit obviously means

"The app is coming, it's free (just to be clear), and it's subject to limitation, because it's a new app tethered to a developing online platform"

and that someone who fucked up?
I'm not sure it's Nintendo.
at least not in this context, LMAO.

We still don't know whether or not the system itself supports voice chat or lobby organization. So this thread is FUD

Free limited apps on mobile devices are usually locked with features not available. The last part is mostly true, Nintendo hasn't shown anything about that at all but is okay with giving out this information that is relatively confusing compared to the norm.

When discussing online play specifics like friend appointments and voice chat capabilities of the switch, they only mentioned the app.

This is that amazing suplemental computing patent brought to life. The one where people thought they would hook the Switch up to their PC to turn it into a monster.

Instead what they meant was connecting your Switch to your phone to enable online voice chat via dial up lmao!

Zemm

from the Splatoon page - Sounds like all voice chat will be through a smart phone only. Utter madness

Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.

Jesus fucking christ.

Pre-order cancelled. It's a meme, I know, but if this is accurate, it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

God I'm bummed...

Free limited apps on mobile devices are usually locked with features not available. The last part is mostly true, Nintendo hasn't shown anything about that at all but is okay with giving out this information that is relatively confusing compared to the norm.

I'm saying that I think the word 'limited' is being used here NOT in this context -

"limited functionality for free users, while premium users get the whole suite"

but in this context

"limited functionality as a result of the ongoing development of the online platform"

Gregtis

I guess I'm in the minority here, but assuming seamless integration, this seems cool to me.

- gaming can't be interrupted by notifications or have performance affected by background tasks.
- phone is better for sending text messages than the tablet-like Switch.
- already have my phone with me at all times so little downside.
- on voice chat: to me it is similar to using my cell phone on a conference call even though the meeting software (such as GoToMeeting) has an audio option through my computer. More reliable and doesn't take valuable system resources.
- opens up possibilities for other second screen stuff.

Top Bottom