• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm saying that I think the word 'limited' is being used here NOT in this context -

"limited functionality for free users, while premium users get the whole suite"

but in this context

"limited functionality as a result of the ongoing development of the online platform"

I agree that is likely what is going to happen. Same with the free online trial period. Hopefully.

The most important part of the thread is that voiced chat uses a phone.

Mods if they feel the need can remove the paid portion of the title. It is paid for, but with the subscription.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but assuming seamless integration, this seems cool to me.

- gaming can't be interrupted by notifications or have performance affected by background tasks.
- phone is better for sending text messages than the tablet-like Switch.
- already have my phone with me at all times so little downside.
- on voice chat: to me it is similar to using my cell phone on a conference call even though the meeting software (such as GoToMeeting) has an audio option through my computer. More reliable and doesn't take valuable system resources.
- opens up possibilities for other second screen stuff.
Yes, but at that point, why not use something better and free like Discord?

Trojita

You can matchmake with friends with this app and technically to play any online games you'll need to pay the subscription which will give access to the non-limited app when it is released.

So uh, how exactly is this supposed to work when you're carrying it out and about? Headphones plugged into phone, phone on your lap, Switch on top of phone?

My god at the conlusion jumping here. There's obviously going to be a similar app/background voice thing on the console as well. There's been online voice communication on Nintendo consoles since the original DS, jeez. The app is just a way to keep in touch with your Switch friends when you're not on the console.

tmespe

I guess I'm in the minority here, but assuming seamless integration, this seems cool to me.

- gaming can't be interrupted by notifications or have performance affected by background tasks.
- on voice chat: to me it is similar to using my cell phone on a conference call even though the meeting software (such as GoToMeeting) has an audio option through my computer. More reliable and doesn't take valuable system resources.

It has a touch screen. Why would typing on a phone be preferable?

That's funny, but your phone probably has enough RAM to multitask a phone call and a browser if you bought it in the last 4 or 5 years.

Ok, but what if you are like me where my wife and I share a phone since I don't need a smart phone and she does? I won't be able to chat with friends in MP games when she is gone and then when she is here what if someone calls for her while I am playing?

Or what if you can't afford smart phones for all of your kids?

I could list tons of scenarios where this is a problem.

This shouldn't be an issue at all really because it should be native to the console. I really hope this is just poor wording on Nintendo's part and it isn't actually restricted to a flipping separate "smart device."

ozfunghi

I already pay to communicate with others via my phone, Nintendo.

3rd party Nintendo seems a whole lot more likely all of a sudden.

My god at the conlusion jumping here. There's obviously going to be a similar app/background voice thing on the console as well. There's been online voice communication on Nintendo consoles since the original DS, jeez. The app is just a way to keep in touch with your Switch friends when you're not on the console.
This is Nintendo we're dealing with

Trojita

See

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228243504&postcount=89

It's confirmed by the Splatoon team as the way to voice chat in Splatoon 2.

I could see Nintendo seeing the outcry and rushing to make a native app. Not sure if the memory with the OS can take it though.

udivision

That's not what's being said by Nintendo though so they should be more clear.

They've mentioned the companion app, and not any native app so...

rekameohs

Banned
I think you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Gekzee

Banned

One of the major benefits of losing your legs in a car accident is that you no longer have to folk out money on shoes.

I mean, come on man, you're reaching here.

azyless

This can't be real lol. Why not just straight up tell me I need to put my laptop next to me and use Discord ? They've lost it if this is true.

Hydrargyrus

What a shitty service.
What were they thinking??

They should have said: Now, every single Nintendo console has voice chat, thanks to our new app!!

I'm reading the details and still having a bit of trouble understanding.

Damn no wonder they didn't explain on stage. That translator would've had a heart attack trying to explain this.

Or you can use a home telephone to do a "voice chat" with your friend. It's free and doesn't use your phone data.

Terrell

game have an accessory with an interesting description https://www.game.co.uk/en/nintendo-switch-premium-zelda-chat-earbuds-1791650
"Chat Earbuds are designed to work with your Nintendo Switch console"
Could there be some communication problem here

Possibly. It makes one wonder if the smartphone app is just meant to be the matchmaking/voicechat dashboard or remote of sorts while the actual communication routes through the Switch. You already have parental controls shunted off to a smartphone dashboard, so that seems like a remote possibility (pun not intended, but now that I've seen it, the pun is staying).

PS4 and xb1 allow you to disable notifications

PS4 and XB1 have apps that you can send messages through your phone in addition to the console messaging system

Sucks if you have to conserve phone battery, or your phone is dead or lost

What, yeah using my shitty cell phone for voice is much better than my $100+ headset

This is irrelevant

Trojita

The Splatoon page could be read as the phone app gives MORE voice chat options.

but

Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options

They already mention matchmaking earlier in the page. This will just enhance being able to do that like they said, but the voice chat options part is tagged on with an "and allow for voice chat options", which makes it seem like they aren't there natively since they don't mention voice chat anywhere else.

Svafnir

This is insane. It's cool if the app was optional, but it's required for chat and match making? Seems insane.

Maybe it will be easier to do on a phone, but still insane. But the switch for your kid? Gotta get them a phone too so they can play online with their friends...

Ferr986

from the Splatoon page - Sounds like all voice chat will be through a smart phone only. Utter madness

I don't want to say much because it's still early and maybe we miss some info, but IF this is true, this deserves some Xbox One levels of shitstorm.

Online interactions restricted to a smartphone is just.... I just can't describe how stupid it is.

Gregtis

I'm curious to see how the integration works out. If I could click a friend in the app to instantly queue into their next splatoon match on my Switch, for example, that would be cool. I assume Discord doesn't allow that. I've only used Discord a couple times and it seemed pretty basic, but it may do stuff I'm unaware of.

It does get messy when you consider the headphone use case, which another user brought up. So you basically can't do voice chat while wearing headphones for game audio? Weird.

NimbusD

I love it as an option... But to have to use two devices just to use standard online features? The switch is already pushing the definition of portable which is fine, just include the whole functionality in the system itself.

DavidDesu

All this functionality MUST be on the console itself... yet the wording makes it feel like you need a smartphone with this app to make it so... CANNOT BE RIGHT..?

If so it's the most ass backwards thing I've seen in a while. Useful to have all this on a second screen device, but forcing you to use a second screen device when you're already holding a tablet..?! Madness. Hopefully we get clarification very soon.

Effect

This and I imagine this likely migh be part of their mobile push and wouldn't be surprised if the app interacted with the other mobile games and My Nintendo.

This is insane. It's cool if the app was optional, but it's required for chat and match making? Seems insane.

Maybe it will be easier to do on a phone, but still insane. But the switch for your kid? Gotta get them a phone too so they can play online with their friends...

I think the implication here is that Nintendo doesn't want unsupervised kids using voice chat ever with strangers.

Can you chat or check who's online on your smartphone for the other consoles?

The Xbox app lets you see who's online, send and check text messages, and let's you use your phone as a remote. I've never tried to use it for voice or video.

Vena

I'm reading the details and still having a bit of trouble understanding.

Damn no wonder they didn't explain on stage. That translator would've had a heart attack trying to explain this.

You get a Nintendo Network or some such app for your preferred smartdevice of choice. (In general they seem to be pivoting towards a notion of tethering and/or companion functionality between Switch and smart devices.)

App is itself most likely free with limited functionality, and if you pay for the online service you get to use the apps as a Nintendo-Skype/Discord equivalent. And since you're paying for online multiplayer anyway, you may as well use it (is probably their logic).

From there, we'll need to see pricing and what else it offers (aside from the SNES/NES rental and online play). The app itself is probably (like seemingly everything else) going to be able to interact with your preferred social media.

The OS of the Switch itself seems to be very limited/minimalistic, and even then its largely there to function as a portal to social media.

Gregtis

It has a touch screen. Why would typing on a phone be preferable?

I type on my phone all the time and I'm good at it. With the joy cons, is it easy to reach enough of the screen for typing? What about in docked mode, no touch screen then.

I admit the whole app thing makes less sense for the portable use case.

slash3584

So best case scenario is that the phone app just serves as a UI for quick matchmaking and friend chat, but the actual stuff happens in the console?

Top Bottom