• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Matush

Crisis averted!

While the US-page shows this:
0BmlgDg.png

The Japanese site shows this:
1wX4JKA.png

which translates to "Headphone and Mic-Jack - You can connect headphones, a microphone or headphones with integrated microphone"

So Switch can use regular headsets, which are very likely to be used for voice-chat, etc.
I mean it's likely that games will have their own voice chats, but if you want to use party chat with your friends (like on PS4 or XBO) you will probably need to use the phone, which is incredibly stupid.

nekomix

I'm still buying the Switch because Zelda, Mario and No More Heroes but hell no I'm not subscribing that thing like I didn't for MS and Sony like WTF, voice chat only through your phone ?

L.O.R.D

that's cool,however it's going to be banned in saudi arabia,just like line and overwatch chat and many many voice chat services.

What about kids who don't own their own phone?

Edit: hell what about adults who don't. There are a lot of them out there that either can't (their work) or won't.

This is just insane. What if you don't own a smartphone? You'll have to add the cost of whatever device you use, the forced data-plan, and having a clunky weird situation with having a completely separate device to do something that should just exist on the console. If you want the whole experience, you'd have to pay for the console, some sort of smartphone, and the monthly fee.

The console doesn't cost 300, it's going to cost more like 600 plus the monthly data fee.

SystemUser

This is just insane. What if you don't own a smartphone? You'll have to add the cost of whatever device you use, the forced data-plan, and having a clunky weird situation with having a completely separate device to do something that should just exist on the console. If you want the whole experience, you'd have to pay for the console, some sort of smartphone, and the monthly fee.

The console doesn't cost 300, it's going to cost more like 600 plus the monthly data fee.

You are exaggerating a little bit. You can buy an android phone or tablet for less than $50 with no contract. I assume you have home internet and wifi already.

Nintendo has always been horrible with online. The one time played Mario Kart online with family we had to use cellphones to talk it was really dumb and clunky. Now Nintendo is charging for an app to use this horrible functionality?

The_Lump

Banned
Crisis averted!

0BmlgDg.png

1wX4JKA.png

which translates to "Headphone and Mic-Jack - You can connect headphones, a microphone or headphones with integrated microphone"

So Switch can use regular headsets, which are very likely to be used for voice-chat, etc.

Ta-da.

Whatever the App can do, it will be available on the Switch itself in some form. Nintendo just spent a lot of time unifying their online service, they aren't going to split it up again.

My guess; Nintendo knows we are on our phones all the time, and if they want people to use their games socially on-the-go, they can't rely on hoping people will adopt Switch as their primary communication (ie for organising online parties etc). It just won't happen. So they need a gateway app on our phones to get us to turn on Switch.

I see their thinking like this:

- I'm on my phone as always
- I get an app notification to play some Switch
- Can enter chat/organise party from my phone (over 4G or whatever) whilst I find some WiFi
- Find Wi-Fi, Boot up the switch, play online and continue party/chat via Switch.

Of course, if you're sat at home, just do the first 3x steps on your Switch.

That's my theory. Only way this all makes any sense.

ViciousDS

Banned
lol Nintendo does realize that discord is free and works fantastic on mobile devices right guys? Guys!!!!!!

What the hell do they think we've been doing for splatoon GAF.......

_Clash_

Ta-da.

Whatever the App can do, it will be available on the Switch itself in some form. Nintendo just spent a lot of time unifying their online service, they aren't going to split it up again.

My guess; Nintendo knows we are on our phones all the time, and if they want people to use their games socially on-the-go, they can't rely on hoping people will adopt Switch as their primary communication (ie for organising online parties etc). It just won't happen. So they need a gateway app on our phones to get us to turn on Switch.

- Can enter chat/organise party from my phone (over 4G or whatever) whilst I find some WiFi
- Find Wi-Fi, Boot up the switch, play online and continue party/chat via Switch.

Yeah, this sounds right but passing this off as some premium service crap is gob smacking none the less

pswii60

I thought Switch was the portable smart device itself. Why do I need another one for voice chat?

It's like saying "Switch has Netflix*"

*Netflix app available to download on all smart devices

EDIT: Although there may be integrated voice chat too, most likely.

Zhao_Yun

Crisis averted!

0BmlgDg.png

1wX4JKA.png

Am I the only one who is slightly bothered that the audio jack is on the top and not on the bottom?

You are exaggerating a little bit. You can buy an android phone or tablet for less than $50 with no contract. I assume you have home internet and wifi already.

Nintendo has always been horrible with online. The one time played Mario Kart online with family we had to use cellphones to talk it was really dumb and clunky. Now Nintendo is charging for an app to use this horrible functionality?
I figured smart phones, even the lower quality ones, would have cost more than 50 bucks. That definitely makes it a lot less bad. I'm too used to paying a lot of money on high end phones.

FZW

So I have a Lumia 950, and im pretty happy with it.

Im almost sure this app wont be coming to my phone. Whats my alternative Nintendo?

I swear it seems like Nintendo is actively trying convince to me to not buy this thing.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but assuming seamless integration, this seems cool to me.

- gaming can't be interrupted by notifications or have performance affected by background tasks.
- phone is better for sending text messages than the tablet-like Switch.
- already have my phone with me at all times so little downside.
- on voice chat: to me it is similar to using my cell phone on a conference call even though the meeting software (such as GoToMeeting) has an audio option through my computer. More reliable and doesn't take valuable system resources.
- opens up possibilities for other second screen stuff.

Cool so in the middle of a match, someone calls you, you're fucked

Zemm

Crisis averted!

0BmlgDg.png

1wX4JKA.png

What do you do when the Switch is docked? Also horrible position for a headphone socket :/

So there isn't anything like a front-facing microphone as on the Wii U and DS line, from what I'm seeing? I have no interest in voice chat, but this does have ramifications for VC support or future ports of titles that use the feature.

I thought Switch was the portable smart device itself. Why do I need another one for voice chat?

The Switch doesn't have a data connection. If you want to use it away from home, you need a way to get notifications that someone wants to play online.

Am I the only one who is slightly bothered that the audio jack is on the top and not on the bottom?

They expect you to have the device standing up in tablet mode, so it can't be on the bottom. But yes, it's bothersome.

Cool so in the middle of a match, someone calls you, you're fucked

Yes.

xNiallC

Surely it would make far more sense to have a headphone slot on the joy cons, would enable using headphones while in TV mode, wouldn't cover the screen with the wire while using the portable stand, and potentially in-console voice chat if that was possible with memory constraints.

TunaLover

You better have your phone fully charged before gaming sessions, because why use a single device when you can use 2? Right?

The_Lump

Banned
Yeah, this sounds right but passing this off as some premium service crap is gob smacking none the less

Indeed it is. Nintendo gonna Nintendo I guess.
(and Nintendo gonna keep missing big chunks of the market if they don't adapt quicker)

Kaelan

Found another picture of the UI, from warios twitter.

C2EinBfUAAAr7Ua.jpg

Yeah.. definitely not seeing a party chat icon. Probably didn't wanna delay the console and relegated it to the phone..

Crisis averted!

0BmlgDg.png

1wX4JKA.png

Crisis not averted. We don't know shit. When you're docked, then what? Get a long cable? Nintendo isn't this stupid to expect you to sit next to the console and wear a long cable. Trust me when I say this, you all are giving yourself false hope.

This is a technical issue, and this is the current solution. For now, it requires the app. The headphone jack is mostly for when you're not docked and on the go, and need to listen to game audio like a portable device should. That's it.

As of now, OFFICIALLY, you need an app. Plain and simple.

Don't do this to yourself, guys.

Bizazedo

What do you do when the Switch is docked? Also horrible position for a headphone socket :/
Or the socket is just there so one can hear game audio while using the Switch as a handheld and the phone is still required for party chat.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Nintendo Twist: You speak through a mic connected to the Switch, and hear replies out of your phone on the Nintendo app.

Asynchronous voice chat!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ta-da.

Yes. But when has that ever stopped Nintendo.

See having completely separate friend lists for WiiU, 3DS, Miitomo, and Mario Run, even if you link them all to your My Nintendo Account.

Teletraan1

Banned
Like every other LLTP by 10 year feature Nintendo introduces to the world of its fans I am sure it be touted as a superior way of handling voice chat and nintendo has basically turned voice chat on its head with their unique spin on it. Paying for it also ensures a quality product, think of it like a voice chat investment. Nintendo voice chat doesn't lose its value like other voice chats. Plus it is a use for your phone other than playing Super Mario Run and Pokemon Go.

Crisis not averted. We don't know shit. When you're docked, then what? Get a long cable? Nintendo isn't this stupid to expect you to sit next to the console and wear a long cable.Trust me when I say this, you all are giving yourself false hope.

This is a technical issue, and this is the current solution. For now, it requires the app. The headphone jack is mostly for when you're not docked and on the go, and need to listen to game audio like a portable device should. That's it.

As of now, OFFICIALLY, you need an app. Plain and simple.

Don't do this to yourself, guys.
I mean you had to the same thing with the PS3/360 if you wanted to use a wired headset.....

Top Bottom