• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Vena

For when you're playing on the TV I guess. Does this thing not support headsets for TV play?

I doubt it, smartphone/device fixes both the "talk to thing" problem and the touchscreen for typing problem. That's why they went this way, probably, and a tethered headset leaves you unable to type.

Trying to figure out if, on the go, the console will tackle these on its own, though, as it may well given the jack's capabilities. It can obviously do the touchscreen for typing part.

atr0cious

If you check the online multiplayer sheet Nintendo released, the app is included as part of the subscription service.

8AorVPc.png

so it is free in a sense, cost included in the sub fee (i think)

The way this is broken down, I'm willing to bet the monthly download directly feeds into the exclusive deals, where after getting the chance to play it for a month, you can download it at an exclusive lowered price.

I like everything about this console except Nintendo's perceived monetary value of it and all its features and accessories.

Acidote

It's a good idea. Rather make us all pay for new accessories, we can just use the devices most of us already own in our homes. I am guessing the app will also support pairing with Bluetooth devices.

That's OK as long as it's an additional option (As I'm sure it's going to be) and the console has integrated voice chat too when you connect a communicator to it.

Zyrox

This is so utterly bizarre, even for Nintendo standards. I pray to every deity available that this is just a case of terrible wording and you don't need a fucking Smartphone app to handle voice chat. Like, wtf? This scenario didn't even come to mind when I thought about what could go wrong with Nintendo's online solution, that's how far out there it is.

Vena

The way this is broken down, I'm willing to bet the monthly download directly feeds into the exclusive deals, where after getting the chance to play it for a month, you can download it at an exclusive lowered price.

I like everything about this console except Nintendo's perceived monetary value of it and all its features and accessories.

The "HD Rumble" is probably one of the biggest disconnects between GAF and the tech in this thing. It also explains the rather large Joy-Con prices (if you factor the usual 50-70% overhead profit charge).

Their focus on it makes me almost sure of it.

If its even a pale shadow of some of the tech we have in our lab for this type of feedback (obviously for hundreds of thousands to million+ equipment, obviously), it will not be even remotely cheap.

jwk94

I doubt it, smartphone/device fixes both the "talk to thing" problem and the touchscreen for typing problem. That's why they went this way, probably, and a tethered headset leaves you unable to type.

Trying to figure out if, on the go, the console will tackle these on its own, though, as it may well given the jack's capabilities. It can obviously do the touchscreen for typing part.
But that's so dumb. Then you're playing your game on the TV with those sounds blaring and your friends on speaker phone on your smart device. Or, your holding it up to you ear and trying to play.

Vena

But that's so dumb. Then you're playing your game on the TV with those sounds blaring and your friends on speaker phone on your smart device. Or, your holding it up to you ear and trying to play.

It is indeed peculiar.

I understand the logic. I don't think it works as soundly as it "fits together" though.

ngff02

It doesn't really bother me since I don't use voice chat in games, BUT if the app lets you text chat in games, sign me up. That would be really awesome.

I raid in FFXIV and some of our PS4 players actually raid like this! It boggles my mind.

At any rate, I am going to assume that the system itself supports a wired headset just like the PS4 and this mobile app voice chat is just a bonus feature for people on the go. That said, this is Nintendo, so the worst is always possible!

so why is gaf worrrying so much then? they are just stating an app feature, but they never said that it was the ONLY feature, if im mistaken

Read the entire thread. It's been mentioned in multiple press releases and pages that it's an app function. There's no mention of chatting through the console itself at all.

The headphone jack is in the console, not the controller. This headphone jack is for when you are in docked mode and want to listen to audio. There's no other way Nintendo has explained this. Read the Online subscription chart, it only mentions app. Read Splatoon page, it only mentions chat via app. Everywhere it's chat via app. There's no other explanation. Simple.

Look at the console. How do you expect to chat. By buying a massive 3.5mm cable?? It's not happening. This is Nintendo's stuck-up solution, and knowing Nintendo, this is not even a surprise, and a logical, cheap alternative to their problem.

daviyoung

Banned

You're still supposed to use a headset, except it will be connected to your phone instead of the Switch

Big Nikus

Holy shit... so, no voice chat coming from the console ? FFS I play with headphones, I need all the sound coming from the same source. How they can be so dense is beyond me.
I was hoping a paid subsription would put them on par with their competitors regarding the online service but nope. And it's crazy how everything is more complicated when using Nintendo consoles. Multiple controllers, multiple devices to play with friends, a freaking accessory to play via ethernet, and a shit ton of other accessories... Can it not be simple for once ?

so why is gaf worrrying so much then? they are just stating an app feature, but they never said that it was the ONLY feature, if im mistaken

Because they never explained any of this in the presentation that was supposed to go through every aspect of the Switch. We're only discussing what written on their website and so far it looks very shitty.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I raid in FFXIV and some of our PS4 players actually raid like this! It boggles my mind.

At any rate, I am going to assume that the system itself supports a wired headset just like the PS4 and this mobile app voice chat is just a bonus feature for people on the go. That said, this is Nintendo, so the worst is always possible!

Wired to where when docked?

Imagine pulling the cord by accident and that dock and switch flying.

jwk94

But the ps4 uses the USB or controller port. Aren't the ports on the dock only for charging devices? Does the pro controller have a headphone jack?

Ambition

Are Nintendo run by apes? What's stopping me from using Skype?

oh das rite i gotta pay for a sub now xd

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The OS of the Switch itself seems to be very limited/minimalistic, and even then its largely there to function as a portal to social media.

Nintendo already has their own social network... it's called miiverse, and it is fully integrated with the Wii-U.

But apparently that is gone on the Switch, and we are forced to use a third party device for friending/chatting/sharing screenshots/matchmaking, and we have to PAY for that privilege?

With Nintendo, why does it always seem like it's one step forward, three steps back?

Wired to where when docked?

Imagine pulling the cord by accident and that dock and switch flying.

I guess since I game fairly close to my TV (which I use as a PC monitor as well), that thought hadn't occurred to me. I've done voice chat on the Wii U like that before with my controller docked, but it's not like there were more than 3 games that allowed that.

Still, maybe the Pro Controller has a headphone jack. Anybody have some good angled pics on that bad boy?

I guess since I game fairly close to my TV (which I use as a PC monitor as well), that thought hadn't occurred to me. I've done voice chat on the Wii U like that before with my controller docked, but it's not like there were more than like 3 games that allowed that.

Still, maybe the Pro Controller has a headphone jack. Anybody have some good angled pics on that bad boy?

Why are you doing this to yourself?

DavidDesu

See

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228243504&postcount=89

It's confirmed by the Splatoon team as the way to voice chat in Splatoon 2.

I could see Nintendo seeing the outcry and rushing to make a native app. Not sure if the memory with the OS can take it though.

Imagine if they hadn't planned out to make this happen.... utter utter madness. Seems mental they seem to be relying on their customer's already owned devices to allow some crucial functions to work. Jesus Nintendo... these Japanese grandpas on the board, AND Reggie, need replaced.

Ferr986

It doesn't really bother me since I don't use voice chat in games, BUT if the app lets you text chat in games, sign me up. That would be really awesome.

I mean, that is possible on Xbox One and PS4 already. The problem is that if these functions are also available on the system, not tied on the app only.

Kaelan

Uhhh.

Well, okay, nevermind. Maybe the console CAN do it on its own then. Not sure why it'd have a mic-jack otherwise.

The only conclusion I can come to is the OS is half-baked and Nintendo didn't feel like delaying the console to implement party interfaces and the ability to invite players to game built in. So a stop-gap is this smartphone app will handle the party interfaces, and inviting players to game, though you will see none of this on the system it's self. Possibly in a future update it'll be implemented on the system OS. This is the best case scenario and what I'm hoping is true

Genio88

Now, beyond the fact that from fall 2017 we'll have to pay for this stuff...what in the hell is the meaning of making it available through Smartphone? This is just insane, why couldn't they just integrate that into the console like every normal person would do? Could be the 4GB limitation which prevents the OS from having too much stuff going on on background?
Anyway i guess even this time around Switch will be my Nintendo only console, i already gave up on the "dream" of playing Rocket League, FIFA or Overwatch wherever i want

seriously though, this feature is needed, i get not having the feature on the joy cons, but its gotta have it on the pro controllers and the weird controller thing they give with the console. it is such an easy concept, that everyone does, why did they think they should get away with it

I really hope that this isn't the only way to invite friends or have voice chat. It would be insane. I know that Ninty wants to be more modern with their functionality but they're applying to something that's making something basic a chore. What's next? An app to turn the console on?

As long as there are other options then this is not an issue, so here's hoping.

kIdMuScLe

Lol I could see it now!

Playing online game with buddies
**phone rings while in intense battle **
-gosh darn it mom! I'm in a middle of a game!!!
**clicks to hang up but phone screen clears back to Nintendo app so accidentally exits out of app**
Fuck what the fuck!!!
** struggles to play and get the Nintendo app back on at the same time**

Yup! You done Nintendo fam!

Any idea on if you have to have the app active on your screen to work or will it be able to run in the background?

If I have to have my phone unlocked and on the app for voice chat to work this will pretty much kill this "feature" if you are on the go and have to have your phone active in one hand while trying to hold/play on the Switch on the other.

Kaelan

Lol I could see it now!

Playing online game with buddies
**phone rings while in intense battle **
-gosh darn it mom! I'm in a middle of a game!!!
**clicks to hang up but phone screen clears back to Nintendo app so accidentally exits out of app**
Fuck what the fuck!!!
** struggles to play and get the Nintendo app back on at the same time**

Yup! You done Nintendo fam!

LOL. Man this just sucks. Nintendo really needs to clarify this.

Garou

Crisis averted!

While the US-page shows this:
0BmlgDg.png

The Japanese site shows this:
1wX4JKA.png

which translates to "Headphone and Mic-Jack - You can connect headphones, a microphone or headphones with integrated microphone"

So Switch can use regular headsets, which are very likely to be used for voice-chat, etc.

Top Bottom