• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRFocus: Big Morpheus push at Sony presser, half of their booth devoted to it

Mononoke

Banned
Yep.

Radio didn't replace books.
Cinema didn't replace radio and books.
Tv didn't replace cinema, radio and books.
Video games didn't replace tv, cinema, radio and books.
VR video games won't replace normal video gaes, tv, cinema, radio and books.

Pretty much. It's kind of a weird "I want to stay in the past and refuse all technological advances" mentality. This fear that it will ruin everything they hold near and dear. It's silly. Even Mobile which will have a major impact on things, that's not going to take over all gaming. It's the ol' Rock and Roll is th devil and will ruin music school of thought.

I dunno man. Morpheus is bigger than the goggles, but when you look at how the head strap works, it's a nice counterbalance. it's sort of away from your face, if that makes sense. rather than strapped to your head. If they say bulky it isn't due to weight, maybe they are just looking at the overall thing. It's quite light.

I've only tried Oculus, so I truly appreciate your impressions. I just know for me personally, I don't like to argue factors if I'm not sure of them. So I kept seeing bulky and was thinking weight was an issue or people had complained they were uncomfortable.

dancmc

While I am super excited for the potential of VR; if there is a large portion of the actual press conference dedicated to it; I hope they come up with an interesting way to keep this engaging for those watching the stream

Krejlooc

Banned
So was street luge another one of those stationary experiences? Cause that was far from stationary, at least the in-game aspect.

Street luge does everything I mentioned. It isnt a free roaming experience, its very tailored and on rails to keep the machine from having to work too hard.

ViciousDS

Banned
2K could honestly do some serious shit with their basketball game in VR.....I remember the helmet cam from NFL2K and man that was some fun stuff....hard to play but, I think with tech now a days it wouldn't be as bad. Pulling off a dribble move to break someones ankle in VR or being nate robinson dunking in VR....getting that kind of height from the hop....yes, I'm excited!

creatchee

Pretty much. It's kind of a weird "I want to stay in the past and refuse all technological advances" mentality. This fear that it will ruin everything they hold near and dear. It's silly. Even Mobile which will have a major impact on things, that's not going to take over all gaming.

No. It's a "publishers and developers are making less and less games that don't follow a very specific formula and I would rather see the limited time, energy, and money spent on developing GOOD games that aren't linked to gimmick peripherals rather than immense amounts of all three being spent on something that has a very good chance of not being accepted to the point of mass adoption and support" mentality.

No. It's a "publishers and developers are making less and less games that don't follow a very specific formula and I would rather see the limited time, energy, and money spent on developing GOOD games that aren't linked to gimmick peripherals rather than immense amounts of all three being spent on something that has a very good chance of not being accepted to the point of mass adoption and support" mentality.

tldr i don't wan't vr because of reasons from my butt.

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, PLEASE EXPLAIN TOO ME HOW Playing call of duty with a traditional controller and demo VR is different? Both experiences you're watching the person play. I don't get that how are they going to demo it? well damn just like you watched Ted Price play Resistance. Either way you are a spectator. So stop it with this line of thinking please.

Mononoke

Banned

There will already be less things in general due to cost. You are fighting bogeymen and hypothetical lost tiles you supposedly might have gotten because they spent money on VR titles. That argument is never ending and can be applied to all things. I don't see it as a realistic mentality.

waters10

Neo Member
Since VR is something that has to be experienced, is there anyone that has tried VR, either Oculus, GearVR, Vive or Morpheus, and still call it a fad and not the future of gaming? I still think a lot of people that dismiss VR will change their minds when they experience a good VR implementation of a game genre they love!

I hope sony blow us away with Morpheus!

convo

The Mainstream media that is gonna attend will be excited about this for sure, i think it's the right move to make.

hal9001

Banned
VR is the future. I was a total naysayer but my experience with VR has totally changed my perspective. VR will revolutionise not just gaming but the entire technological landscape.

creatchee

There will already be less things in general due to cost. You are fighting bogeymen and hypothetical lost tiles you supposedly might have gotten because they spent money on VR titles.

Time and money spent on VR is time and money not available to spend on non-VR. There is nothing hypothetical about that.

Seanspeed

Banned
No. It's a "publishers and developers are making less and less games that don't follow a very specific formula
If this is a complaint of yours, then you should support VR.

Cuz if you don't, you're just going to get more of the same. VR failing wouldn't change anything.

Mononoke

Banned
PSY・S;167206129 said:
so many ignorant posts in every single vr thread

i can't

I get why some don't like VR. I like to hear criticisims. But some of these posts I'm having a hard time understanding.

Time and money spent on VR is time and money not available to spend on non-VR. There is nothing hypothetical about that.

It is when you are using it as a catch all and assuming there would be titles you would have gotten, that VR took from you. When you consider the sheer amount of titles made each year, as well as all the titles that end up failing and not being good. I mean it's a silly argument. The amount of titles that could have been yours, is literally chipped away by endless factors.

I'm really trying to understand your point of view.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, PLEASE EXPLAIN TOO ME HOW Playing call of duty with a traditional controller and demo VR is different? Both experiences you're watching the person play. I don't get that how are they going to demo it? well damn just like you watched Ted Price play Resistance. Either way you are a spectator. So stop it with this line of thinking please.

And chances are both of them would be incredibly scripted to boot.

Since VR is something that has to be experienced, is there anyone that has tried VR, either Oculus, GearVR, Vive or Morpheus, and still call it a fad and not the future of gaming? I still think a lot of people that dismiss VR will change their minds when they experience a good VR implementation of a game genre they love!

Tried it at Gamescom. Was great!
Yes, you have to experience it by yourself.
But showing videos of some random VR stuff, or looking at people using it, isn't funny / is boring. So "wasting" too much time at the E3 LIVE Conference for this would be a terrible idea.

Yes, VR is great. But it's not "The future = replacing the current standard of gaming".
Both are great. VR-only would be terrible.

Bsigg12

I've really enjoyed my time with Gear VR and the DK2 of the Rift. The Gear VR shows that mobile VR is possible when the designer puts performance first then creates a fun experience.

The DK2 shows that presence is possible. It has me crazy excited for the Rift consumer version reveal tomorrow.

It's one of those things where demos on a stage may look underwhelming because to someone watching on a TV or monitor to the side, it probably is. However, once you put the headset on and suddenly that becomes you're reality, and your brain buys into that, it becomes an incredible experience.

I honestly can't imagine it being any higher than £199. In fact I'd take a stab in the dark at £149.99 (UK). They've got the chance to corner the VR market and coast on its success for years and they'd be mad not to capitalise on it. An affordable VR system WILL sell PS4s.

Agreed. I think price point will make or break this thing. I think anywhere between 150-199 USD with bundled games OR a PS4/Morpheus bundle and this thing will grow wings and take flight.

Also, I want Ridge Racer as a launch title.

GeoramA

If they're just focusing on exclusives, then I have no problem with this. Hopefully Media Molecule's game will be there, could be the killer-app that sells it.

creatchee

If this is a complaint of yours, then you should support VR.

Cuz if you don't, you're just going to get more of the same. VR failing wouldn't change anything.

But I don't want to strap a helmet on my head to play a game. I have zero desire to do so, regardless of how cool it is. My problem is not with people who like it, but with the resources dumped into it that could make something that I have a better chance of liking.

Yep.

Radio didn't replace books.
Cinema didn't replace radio and books.
Tv didn't replace cinema, radio and books.
Video games didn't replace tv, cinema, radio and books.
VR video games won't replace normal video gaes, tv, cinema, radio and books.
At least we get a look at future Conservative Republican Gaffers :p

Kolx

And people were wondering why would Sony announce UC:Collection and R&C trailer/gameplay before E3. Anything more than 20 mins for Morpheus would kill all the excitement for the conference. We had 5-7 mins for Powers last year and people thought it was 30 mins. SO DON'T FUCK THIS UP!

Ferrio

Banned
So we're at that point in time where gamers are worried about looking like nerds because they're wearing a VR helmet?

And people were wondering why would Sony announce UC:Collection and R&C trailer/gameplay before E3. Anything more than 20 mins for Morpheus would kill all the excitement for the conference. We had 5-7 mins for Powers last year and people thought it was 30 mins. SO DON'T FUCK THIS UP!

yeah because a tv show is the same as a peripheral that can change how we play games.

Mononoke

Banned
But I don't want to strap a helmet on my head to play a game. I have zero desire to do so, regardless of how cool it is. My problem is not with people who like it, but with the resources dumped into it that could make something that I have a better chance of liking.

Resources are dumped all the time into games you won't end up liking. It's a never ending battle if that is your mentality. Again, the sheer amount of tiltes made each year that end up being bad, fail, or games that you don't like, all of those also took resources away from supposed titles you might have liked. (Actually I don't even buy into that argument. Resources were never guaranteed to only be put into titles you like. That's not reality).

It doesn't seem like a realistic approach to me. Basically: no risks should be taken. No genres I don't like should be made. Only titles that I like should be made.

You do know there will be an immense amount of non VR games that you will hate each year. Tons of resources thrown into non VR games you won't play or like.

ironcreed

Banned
You're free to disagree, it just gets old with every VR thread where people come in and just HAVE to talk about how not interested they are in it or how it's just a fad and is going to fail or whatever.

And yes, it has drawbacks. Traveling for vacation has drawbacks, but people put up with any hassle bits because the destination is more than worth it. I don't think it's gonna be nearly as 'drawback-heavy' as many think, either.

Sorry you are sick of hearing from anyone who does not see the promise in this as of yet. But it is a discussion forum and people are going to have their own views.

As for the drawbacks, it all remains to be seen. I just know that there are many like me who are not attracted to spending hundreds more on top of a console for a device that you have to slap on your face, and that also takes you out of your surroundings. When I game, I like to be aware of what is going on around me. Such as if my dog needs to go out or whatever.

On top of expensive pricing for an add on, these are real world problems that will collide with this thing for many folks and I just don't think it is going to take off as fast as many seem to believe. But again, we shall see.

Seanspeed

Banned
Let me guess: you've never even tried VR, right?

Empty

good. i'm not sure how i feel about vr as i've never tried it and don't really understand it but playstation should always be about forcing console gaming into new directions, experimenting, pushing. the ps4 so far is such a boring, conservative vision, pandering instead of capturing imaginations. it sends me to sleep just thinking about it and its bare lineup of the exact same thing but mildly prettier. it's nice to see them finally dreaming a little bit bigger and using their strong market position to do something exciting and a little bit scary.

spekkeh

Banned

Yes?

I think it's pretty cool, and I'm surely going to buy one sooner rather than later, but I don't consider it very convenient and already can see myself getting too tired of it to continue using it for long. I think like imax, caves, wind machines, moving seats and all the other stuff that improves immersion, it's great for festivals and theme parks, but at home my TV is simply good enough and the positives don't outweigh the negatives.

concern™.

i want them to cater only to my tastes.

PulseONE

It's like people think VR means there'll be no more normal games

Hell, even games that SUPPORT VR might not necessarily REQUIRE it!

Wrynnax

Tried it at Gamescom. Was great!
Yes, you have to experience it by yourself.
But showing videos of some random VR stuff, or looking at people using it, isn't funny / is boring. So "wasting" too much time at the E3 LIVE Conference for this would be a terrible idea.

Yes, VR is great. But it's not "The future = replacing the current standard of gaming".
Both are great. VR-only would be terrible.

Didn't they say at PSX last year that Morpheus was on the floor to test out, but they didn't want to show it on stage because it doesn't fit on a stage?
So I'm thinking they'll announce games for it, maybe price and release date but not actually show people on stage with the VR device on. They'll probably just say something along the lines of: All these games are coming and available in oor booth to experience for yourself the power of Playstation Vision!

creatchee

Resources are dumped all the time into games you won't end up liking. It's a never ending battle if that is your mentality. Again, the sheer amount of tiltes made each year that end up being bad, fail, or games that you don't like, all of those also took resources away from supposed titles you might have liked.

It doesn't seem like a realistic approach to me.

I see what you are saying, but there is a large push for VR from multiple companies (big and small) right now. I can accept that not all individual games will suit my fancy, as there are always plenty of options out there. However, when there is this forced push into a paradigm shift that is currently going on with VR, there's going to be a lot of resources from all angles focused on it, trying to become or be part of what they hope is the next big thing.

Top Bottom