• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulkan 1.2 Spec Released, Adds 23 Proven Extensions into the Core API

thelastword

Banned
Vulkan-1.2.png

The Vulkan 1.2 specification has been released today by the Khronos Group. This release integrates twenty-three proven extensions into the core Vulkan API, mostly developer requested features such as access to new hardware functionality, timeline semaphores for easily managed synchronization; a formal memory model to precisely define the semantics of synchronization and memory operations in different threads; descriptor indexing to enable reuse of descriptor layouts by multiple shaders; deeper support for shaders written in HLSL, and more.

Critically, all graphics cards that already supported previous Vulkan releases are perfectly compatible with Vulkan 1.2. Five GPU vendors have already passed the conformance tests: AMD, ARM, Imagination, Intel, and NVIDIA.

Additionally, the Khronos Group said it will further support the community for Vulkan 1.2 by releasing open source tools, compilers, debuggers (such as the RenderDoc frame capture and debugging tool, the Vulkan conformance test suite, and the Vulkan SDK with support for both the ‘GPU Assisted’ and ‘Best Practices’ validation layers) by the end of this month.

Tom Olson, distinguished engineer at RM and Vulkan working group chair, stated:

Vulkan 1.2 brings together nearly two dozen high-priority features developed over the past two years into one, unified core Vulkan standard, setting a cutting-edge bar for functionality in the industry’s only open GPU API for cross-platform 3D and compute acceleration. Khronos will continue delivering regular Vulkan ecosystem updates with this proven, developer-focused methodology to both meet the needs and expand the horizons of real-world applications.

Indeed, the Khronos Group flaunted Vulkan's increasing industry adoption with a couple of slides that showcase several big games, on both PC/consoles and mobile, using their low-level API. We'll see if this new specification can further entice game developers to use Vulkan.

https://wccftech.com/vulkan-1-2-spec-released-adds-23-proven-extensions-into-the-core-api/

--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to AMD's mantle and it's open standards, Vulkan is now a thing and it's soaring to a 1.2 version...….I think it will become the most popular API for the next generation, it's insanely fast, it's low level and has provided us with some of the highest "frames per second" in games this gen...….Detroit Become Human looks insane under vulkan,,,,with many upcoming titles in the next few years.

Having said that, I had to turn my nose on this statement.....

"Dwight Diercks, senior vice president of software engineering at NVIDIA:

NVIDIA’s Vulkan 1.2 drivers are available today with full functionality for both Windows and Linux. With Vulkan enabling mission-critical applications on NVIDIA GPUs across desktop, embedded and cloud platforms, we’re driving innovative functionality to fuel the growing momentum of this key open standard."

This is so rich…….What a Jagged little pill "isn't it ironic" styled quote.....Alanis Morrissette would be proud....

-----------------------------------
Anyway looking forward to all the future games on Vulkan…..

thelastword

Banned
Thanks for the info. If I build a PC this is probably what I'll use.
Well some of the more striking games visually has been on Vulkan and also some of the most ambitious too……....Doom Eternal is looking bananas, Detroit, Red Dead 2, Metro, No man's sky...….Some people are begging that Star Citizen be ported to Vulkan as an example…….Generally, It's gaining lots of momentum, and with the consoles being AMD based you just know that vulkan on PC will be even more prolific.....

With these improvements on Vulkan, they are just preparing for the new technologies coming through, that will finally be viable on a large scale, like RT will finally be viable since consoles are pushing it and every AMD card launching in 2020 will support RT amongst other technologies like VRS etc......Then there's vulkan VR that's getting a huge boost apart from RT with improved speeds, high framerate, where vulkan is key in delivering...…..An API that's based ground up on performance is key in delivering the highest framerates in Raytraced games at higher resolutions...….I see no reason why a next gen Navi 2.0 GPU will have any issues running Doom Eternal at 4k 60fps with Raytracing or perhaps 4k 120fps with VR.......All I see is massive preparations for the upcoming hardware; Navi 2.0 GPU's, Zen 3, New gen Consoles and PSVR2...…. It would be great to see what we can see in an ambitious handheld like we saw for Vita with the beastly Renoir APU's...….I'm stoked tbh....

Top Bottom