• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: A black blues musician has a unique hobby: Befriending white supremacists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want this guy and antifa eliminating nazis as much as possible. I believe in stopping nazis by any means necessary, even if it means you unfortunately have some people using unsavory tactics like being nice to them and reforming them instead of punching them in the face.

dsp

This story probably makes white people feel better about inviting over their uncle to Thanksgiving that they know is a klan member while they do nothing to check him on his racism. He just haven't met one of those friendly blacks to befriend him yet.

Lmao how long have you been sitting on that one?

'Cause we all have uncles in the klan.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
He shouldn't stop what he does because racists use it as ammunition. Racists use everything as ammunition, it's not like they're fairly representing BLM, doesn't mean BLM should stop protesting because the media and the_donald trot out every bad example whenever it suits their agenda. Dude has done more to combat racism than I ever have.

Him and... I think the guys name was Matthew - the college friend of the supposed heir of some huge racist empire who convinced him to give that shit up. As much as I value protest, legal battle and generally being angry at injustice, people like them speak to me on a much deeper level than any other kind of activism.

That guy seems cool. He's working hard at his thing. Let him do him.

But his story does feed into the US media's tendency to use "stories" in place of actual policy and changes. He can do his thing, but he's just one guy, and one guy can't make the systemic racism in the US change for the better.
Yeah. The only reasonable stance here to my mind is:

1. Good on you, guy, for doing what you think you can with the skills and temperament you have to win people over.

2. Shame on you, media, for pushing this as an example for people to follow in place of other forms of pushing for progress.

3. Shame on anyone co-opting his efforts to push some "both sides" narrative or to say that this is what POC should be doing instead of protesting, fighting for policy changes, etc.

If I do have some critical feedback for this guy it's that he shouldn't lend himself for news stories for a while. His interviews are being used by those who he's fighting against.

Kyzer

Banned
Yuck, normalizing human beings by having a conversation with them. Disgusting.

We must excommunicate them from all discussions while ridiculing them at every turn, also we must reject all political moderates who are unwilling to adhere to this all or nothing philosophy. Only then can we truly begin to lose every election.

This guy seems like good people and i dont really care about the "media agenda" of sharing the story, weird to start playing the media conspiracy card

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

We must excommunicate them from all discussions while ridiculing them at every turn, also we must reject all political moderates who are unwilling to adhere to this all or nothing philosophy. Only then can we truly begin to lose every election.
"Black people are subhuman and need to die" is just a difference of opinion amirite? Just need to sit down and have a conversation so I can be considered "one of the good ones."

ISOM

We must excommunicate them from all discussions while ridiculing them at every turn, also we must reject all political moderates who are unwilling to adhere to this all or nothing philosophy. Only then can we truly begin to
lose every election.

This guy seems like good people and i dont really care about the "media agenda" of sharing the story, weird to start playing the media conspiracy card

Your gross simplification of the issue doesn't include the fact that not everyone can be this guy. Nor should anyone be expected to be this guy especially minorities. If white people in particular moderates are so concerned with talking to racists and Nazis, they should be the ones doing it.

Ah, clearly you spend time and risk your safety converting racists then.

On one hand I've talked a old roommate of mine out of being a republican. He is firmly moderate now. But on the other I had other roommates that were Trump supporters that wouldn't listen to me no matter what I said and called Barrack Obama a monkey to my face. First time I've ever wanted to punch a guy in a wheelchair. I think some people can be talked to but others just won't listen no matter what.

Either way the focus should be killing white supremacy and fascism with both the pen and the sword.

Kyzer

Banned
"Black people are subhuman and need to die" is just a difference of opinion amirite? Just need to sit down and have a conversation so I can be considered "one of the good ones."

Sounds like a bad idea to me, I wouldnt do it, but if this dude wants to do something so CRAZY as "have a conversation" I think he can do so without it being a notch against his politics. Its not like hes Jimmy Fallon having the Grand Wizard of the KKK on his show, hes a guy choosing to argue with racists.

Your gross simplification of the issue doesn't include the fact that not everyone can be this guy. Nor should anyone be expected to be this guy especially minorities. If white people in particular moderates are so concerned with talking to racists and Nazis, they should be the ones doing it.

Ah, clearly you spend time and risk your safety converting racists then.

I never said that. I dont think talking with Nazis is an effective strategy, my point is that the people who want to not engage the other side and go out of their way to criticize a man for having a conversation and start acting like republicans claiming the media is conspiring to brainwash the public with this story need to get their heads out of their asses

Cyframe

It's great that this man does this, however, people really have misappropriated his work when they tell Black people whose ancestors were lynched by the KKK to follow his example. I don't care about reforming klan members. As far as I'm concerned if white people in this country took accountability he wouldn't even have to do this.

I tried what he did in a lower capacity when I was in a predominately white HS and 9.99 times out of 10 it doesn't work, and the emotional burden isn't worth the effort. His actions are a very small anecdote and his personal work is great but people haven't learned a lesson when they his story and say it should be the standard.

Oscar

I watched a documentary on him on either Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

The bit where BLM members get visibly angry at him was interesting to say the least.

Hallowed

Lmao! With the wave of negativity and assumptions made in this thread by people with chips on their shoulders, I needed a post like. Cheers for that.

Sounds like a bad idea to me, I wouldnt do it, but if this dude wants to do something so CRAZY as "have a conversation" I think he can do so without it being a notch against his politics. Its not like hes Jimmy Fallon having the Grand Wizard of the KKK on his show, hes a guy choosing to argue with racists.

Lmao at you admitting you wouldn't do it after that post.

Have some dignity man

Kwame Rose, a prominent activist in Baltimore, told The Washington Post that when Davis makes friends with avowed racists, he validates their racism.

“What happened in Charlottesville is why we don’t need people collecting KKK robes,” Rose said. “We do not need to give anyone ammunition to celebrate their racist past.”

During a heated exchange in the PBS documentary, called “Accidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race & America,” Rose told Davis, “Stop wasting your time going into people’s houses that don’t love you.”

Davis fired back: “So you believe no one can change?”

“No,” Rose retorted. “I believe you believe the wrong people can change.”

Sounds about right.

It's a shame people have and will twist what Shepherd has done in order to validate racists, because it's pretty goddamn impressive.

This definitely isn't the only path forward, and it doesn't fall on minorities to educate their oppressors
(even though it's abundantly clear they're not going to educate themselves)
but he "Uncle Tom" and "magical negro" labels are disgusting and unfair.

No, it's clear this dude is a tool used against black folks who don't coddle and befriend racists. Same way MLK is used to shame black people today. White people pretend MLK gave one speech, if they read any of his other speeches after "I have a dream", MLK would not be spoken of favorably by white america. Go ahead and look them up.

This story only makes racist white people feel good.

Kyzer

Banned
Lmao at you admitting you wouldn't do it after that post.

Have some dignity man

What ? I dont understand what youre saying. I wouldnt befriend and try to convert the KKK personally but I support this man doing so without thinking its a media conspiracy or that hes a traitor to the liberal cause. Whats the problem

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Just to be clear, are you suggesting that white supremacists should be killed?

And hellraizah comes back because he thinks he found a good both sides strawman.

White supremacy is inherently violent. Nobody is advocating that we round up conservatives or anything like that. We just find it a little suspicious that there seem to be so many people who respond to organized white supremacist terrorism with "but look at these people breaking windows and knocking over trash cans."

Here are a couple quotes to show how white America turned Dr. King's dream into a nightmare...

”The white man does not abide by the law... His police forces are the ultimate mockery of law."

”The thing wrong with America is white racism."

”White America has allowed itself to be indifferent to race prejudice."

”I am sorry to have to say that the vast majority of white Americans are racists, either consciously or unconsciously."

All of these quotes were in 1968. White America didn't listen to Dr. King, and they still don't now. So go out and learn some real history, and stop embracing the white washed version.

http://kingencyclopedia.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_beyond_vietnam/

Didn't call him a magical negro, I referenced a trope.
Alright, my mistake. I don't want to misrepresent your argument, but I've seen the term thrown around before when talking about Davis, so forgive me if it looks like I was jumping to conclusions.
What's disgusting is expecting black people to jump into the fire in order to put it out, and ignore the 3rd degree burns we get along the way.

Befriending racists is not only an unfair thing to expect, not only does it not really work (just ask Dylan Roof's black friend how much his friendship mattered in the end), but it does nothing to address the actual systematic issues that are ACTUALLY the problem.
Completely agree, but I don't think anyone really does expect black people to suddenly start befriending racists. That's what I find admirable about Davis' attempt, though- this shit shouldn't fall on him at all. Most people aren't going to view his methods are being ideal, and any white person waiting for that kind of appeasement was probably a complete racist anyway. I just think it's unfortunate to see someone getting so much shit for trying to change people, misguided though he may be.
No, it's clear this dude is a tool used against black folks who don't coddle and befriend racists. Same way MLK is used to shame black people today. White people pretend MLK gave one speech, if they read any of his other speeches after "I have a dream", MLK would not be spoken of favorably by white america. Go ahead and look them up.

This story only makes racist white people feel good.
I'm only defending Davis here, not what people do with his message.

I'm aware of how MLK's legacy has been whitewashed. Likewise, I wouldn't slam MLK over the way racists manipulate one speech of his.

What ? I dont understand what youre saying. I wouldnt befriend and try to convert the KKK personally but I support this man doing so without thinking its a media conspiracy or that hes a traitor to the liberal cause. Whats the problem

You tried to shit on people for not doing what you yourself won't do with a hilariously reductive and foolish post. The main reason people get annoyed when activism and protesting are decried by moderates who keep trying to tell us we need to have a discussion with racists is because they won't do it, even when it's their own friends and family.

What Davis does is one way but not the only way. Frankly, I wonder how many of the people he's "converted" think "black people are ok" vs "Darryl's ok but the rest of them niggers still ain't shit"

Eidan

Hes been in other stories? Didnt know that... He does look familiar but I wasnt sure if that was because I live in Silver Spring
He does have a mild resemblance to that dude who is always standing on the Panera Bread corner of Georgia and Colesville passing out panthlets saying "God loves you".

Lunar15

Sounds about right.

I uh... hm.

I'd have to think about this one a lot. I agree that people bring this article up to trivialize what's actually going on and dismiss efforts of groups like Antifa. On a macro level, it's never the responsibility of minorities to overturn oppression. But on a micro level, I don't condemn what the guy's doing if it's genuinely working for those around him.

I dunno, though. I have to think about this one a lot.

Do you want me to actually quote every person reacting negatively or are you just trying to shame me for using "Y'all"?

Shame? lol..Nah. It's just a thing that's tired as hell around here. Folks talk like everyone is lockstep on some shit, while clearly coming from a different angle. Folks wanna preach "don't lump" while lumping in the process. That's my point. No more. No less.

Now that THAT is over, not all but..point em out..😃

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yea man maybe the systemic racism in play would just disappear if we had conversations. It's not like we haven't we tried that before...it's absolutely ok to criticize this.

You tried to shit on people for not doing what you yourself won't do with a hilariously reductive and foolish post. The main reason people get annoyed when activism and protesting are decried by moderates who keep trying to tell us we need to have a discussion with racists is because they won't do it, even when it's their own friends and family.

What Davis does is one way but not the only way. Frankly, I wonder how many of the people he's "converted" think "black people are ok" vs "Darryl's ok but the rest of them niggers still ain't shit"
Also this.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

I would hazard a guess and say it's the latter and they still say ignorant ass shit, but just add "... but not you, you're different."

Caelus

In 1996, KKK Imperial Wizard Roger Kelly expressed his respect for Davis even while speaking at a Klan rally in Clairmont, Md., according to CNN.

“I would follow that man to hell and back because I believe in what he stands for,” Kelly said at the time about Davis. “We don’t agree on everything, but at least he respects me to sit down and listen and I respect him.”

Three years later, Kelly quit the Klan and gave Davis his robe.

I'm still amused by this.

Three years later! It took three years of rumination for him to quit the freaking Ku Klux Klan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's fascinating to see into the minds of people on this board and how they think. That's not at all what I'm saying.

But I will always give respect to people that can sort matters out in such a way. The less blood spilled the better.

The world really should have been more open to just talking and befriending the Nazis, right? They were just a bunch of confused hard working lads that needed a calm talking to!

I am not going to hate on this guy for doing his thing, but he should never be held as an example of how others "should" behave in the face of ignorant hatred and racism.

Kyzer

Banned

Just because I wouldnt do something doesnt mean I shit on people that would. Not sure what kind of logic that is..? Also, Im spanish so me doing it would be totally different anyways. Third, in terms of why you would be against the moderates decrying that I get what you're saying, I am not someone who argues that antifa is the same as nazis and stuff like that, and I get why you would think I might be one of those guys but I see the line, Im a slightly different kind of moderate I guess, I am of the opinion that CNN for example is not doing anything wrong by having republicans on (for the most part, they do make mistakes like jeff lord), and that this guy can argue with racists all he wants. I dont think we should excommunicate the entire RNC party and I especially think that political progress, as priority #1, is a game of addition which means reaching across the aisle, working with people you absolutely disagree with on every level, and winning over moderates. Dont mistake this for meaning I dont think Nazis shouldnt be fought, or that we should sit on the sidelines for something like BLM, for example. Im basically arguing against the general principle of not engaging with people you disagree with and rejecting moderates. And you're probably right, this guy is probably not having much of an effect.

He does have a mild resemblance to that dude who is always standing on the Panera Bread corner of Georgia and Colesville passing out panthlets saying "God loves you".

Yooo

Alucrid

Banned

Despite his vow that he would never be photographed with Davis, the former grand klaliff has since posed for a picture. It made Davis's book, of course. "Yeah, Daryl is a friend," he confirms. "He's articulate, intelligent. He relaxed my views – on him, as an individual."

Davis received thank-you notes after making a cash baby gift to one of Doles's former fiancees. Doles's children have met Davis. They like him. But Doles is quick to qualify Davis's generosity: "My children weren't supported by a black man."

Having quit the Klan, Doles plans to enter politics: "I definitely follow the Nazis. National Socialism is my religion. I believe in it and I look for the Fourth Reich."

He says it calmly, matter-of-fact, utterly without irony. Doles's agenda is now set by the National Alliance, founded by William L. Pierce, author of "The Turner Diaries" and inheritor of George Lincoln Rockwell's Nazi following. The alliance's literature embraces "racial cleansing of the land," takes a firm stand against "negroid" jazz and rock music, and, by name, Barry Manilow.

But Doles doesn't mention the implications for his friend, the black musician. Such talk would be impolite and impolitic. "I respect him," the neo-Nazi says. "I'll shake his hand. But I'll take my views to my grave."

Chester Doles vows to take his Klan robes to the grave as well. They are a prize – and a piece of himself – that he will never relinquish to Daryl Davis.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/features/klan.htm

he's still racist too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d727b644a0b_story.html?utm_term=.5c84133e2030

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
So the thing is, I don't have a problem with him taking this approach for himself.

I have a problem with the narrative it creates for moderates* too uncomfortable to deal with racism, that if all oppressed people did this the racism would magically go away.

It's insulting and damaging. It's putting the burden on the oppressed to be nice to their oppressors in the hopes that a tiny percentage might see them as human... instead of on the racists to JUST STOP BEING FUCKING RACIST.

Elaborate and try to persuade me of why you're being dismissive of me here (that's what it came off like to me).

You kinda added a little more to three words, cris. Not sure where I dismissed you. Was having a laugh at the fact that, lately, when "the middle" or any other term used for it is brought up, it's like a bat signal. I hope it's ok to chuckle at that. Let me know if that's a no no..

Alright, my mistake. I don't want to misrepresent your argument, but I've seen the term thrown around before when talking about Shepherd, so forgive me if it looks like I was jumping to conclusions.
Completely agree, but I don't think anyone really does expect black people to suddenly start befriending racists. That's what I find admirable about Shepherd's attempt, though- this shit shouldn't fall on him at all. Most people aren't going to view his methods are being ideal, and any white person waiting for that kind of appeasement was probably a complete racist anyway. I just think it's unfortunate to see someone getting so much shit for trying to change people, misguided though he may be.
I'm only defending Shepherd here, not what people do with his message.

I'm aware of how MLK's legacy has been whitewashed. Likewise, I wouldn't slam MLK over the way racists manipulate one speech of his.

This guy's message only serves to make racist white people feel better by using his "message" to shame black people. And apparently doesn't even work, to no big surprise.

King's work actually had merit and benefit to the people he was standing up for. This guy is literally standing up for white supremacists

Derwind

The vagueness of the word is amazing given the long list of members to the human race whose opinion we dont give a fuck about. You know despots, rapists, murderers... or in this case genocidal terrorists.

KKK aren't your run of the mill organization, White Supremacy is not your standard movements as we've seen countless times already in history including more recently Charlottesville.

The fact that you think its perfectly reasonable to communicate with these people shows everyone how far removed from reality you are.

And the fact that you try to make a persausive argument about votes is hilarious, disavowing white supremacists, kkk...ect... is not a political position, its a moral position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom