• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: A black blues musician has a unique hobby: Befriending white supremacists

Status
Not open for further replies.
You kinda added a little more to three words, cris. Not sure where I dismissed you. Was having a laugh at the fact that, lately, when "the middle" or any other term used for it is brought up, it's like a bat signal. I hope it's ok to chuckle at that. Let me know if that's a no no..
Generally when someone takes something I said, laughs at it, and offers no explanation as to why, it comes off as dismissive. My thoughts dismissed with a laugh essentially. Does that make sense?

I'm unclear as to why my reply is connected to "the middle" or as some response to someone mentioning the middle. The point I made was that Davis shouldn't be held up as an example that other POC should follow. Is that "the middle?"

It seems like every year when some white supremacist group does something hateful enough to get news coverage, we get op-eds dedicated to this guy.

Like, stop. It's fucking offensive at this point. It's like low-key blaming white supremacy on the black people who don't go out their way to play the Magical Negro trope for a racist.

Thank you. It's beyond offensive.

It seems like every year when some white supremacist group does something hateful enough to get news coverage, we get op-eds dedicated to this guy.

Like, stop. It's fucking offensive at this point. It's like low-key blaming white supremacy on the black people who don't go out their way to play the Magical Negro trope for a racist.

Thank you.

This guy's message only serves to make racist white people feel better by using his "message" to shame black people. And apparently doesn't even work, to no big surprise.

King's work actually had merit and benefit to the people he was standing up for. This guy is literally standing up for white supremacists

I don't think he's really doing a whole lot in defense of white supremacists, apart from acknowledging they're human, because he's still actively denouncing their views, but I do see where you're coming from, really. Maybe I'm just never really inclined to blame someone for trying.

I just realized I mixed up his name earlier.

Any White people who think my generation is gunna love the hate out of racists, well theyre in for a rude awakening. MLK tried that approach already and you shot him in the head and blew up a church with four little girls.

D i Z

This is some soft-shoe bullshit, and we all know it. Dude isn't converting shit. All he's doing is giving white moderates another tool to blame minorities for work that white moderates refuse to do for themselves.

This guy has been seeing a resurgence of attention lately. I like him and his approach. People are much less likely to blindly hate a whole group of people once they actually know people in that group. It's much more effective than pretending people don't exist.

Yeah i've seen this guy before.
In the end, it's pretty heroic i think.
I wonder why the fuck he would even try. But the results are there and let's hope it spreads like a glorious virus.

Ryaaan14

Banned
A good model to live by imo.

And no I don't mean all black folks should go out and make friends w racists. Ppl should be open to forming friendships w more ppl who may have unsavory opinions of the other. This includes whites to blacks, and every other combo.

Edit: Cos ppl tend to listen to ppl they are friends w more than internet stranger #29384792

Squire

Banned
Yeah. The only reasonable stance here to my mind is:

1. Good on you, guy, for doing what you think you can with the skills and temperament you have to win people over.

2. Shame on you, media, for pushing this as an example for people to follow in place of other forms of pushing for progress.

3. Shame on anyone co-opting his efforts to push some "both sides" narrative or to say that this is what POC should be doing instead of protesting, fighting for policy changes, etc.

If I do have some critical feedback for this guy it's that he shouldn't lend himself for news stories for a while. His interviews are being used by those who he's fighting against.

I mean yeah it's almost like there's something not-so-vaguely opportunistic about him

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This guy has been seeing a resurgence of attention lately. I like him and his approach. People are much less likely to blindly hate a whole group of people once they actually know people in that group. It's much more effective than pretending people don't exist.

In my experience, people are much more likely to simply think the individual they met is an exception or "one of the good ones" and keep on hating the group overall. I've met a lot of racists who claim to have a black friend or know one or two "good Jews" while simultaneously being bigotted shitbags.

TheSun

Gee I'm sure glad they stopped being racist forever.

But I'm not gonna be the same as this dude, sorry to say. I find not dealing with racists to be just as effective, but minus the headaches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A good model to live by imo.

And no I don't mean all black folks should go out and make friends w racists. Ppl should be open to forming friendships w more ppl who may have unsavory opinions of the other. This includes whites to blacks, and every other combo.

Edit: Cos ppl tend to listen to ppl they are friends w more than internet stranger #29384792

More "all sides" nonsense. Stop normalizing hatred and racism as something that is just another opinion that deserves respect.

Caelus

Gee I'm sure glad they stopped being racist forever.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic by this line (I'm sorry! I honestly can't tell sometimes), but I feel like this should be quoted again anyway:

Seems like he just slots into a "one of the good ones" narrative for a few of these folks.

Public shaming needs to be a valid initiative as well, there's no use being patient and friendly if you're not also reinforcing that their views are shitty.

It's so much easier to be a hateful, ignorant motherfucker when you don't actually know any people in the group that you are hating.

SummitAve

Banned
It's so much easier to be a hateful, ignorant motherfucker when you don't actually know any people in the group that you are hating.

I mean that's kind of this guy's whole point. Much of this country has been and continues to be very isolated for a lot of reasons. It takes real work to build those bridges. There is no easy on/off switch.

Exactly. If you get violent towards people, you only fuel their hate. This guy bonds with them over something else that's not about race and in the end, they forget his skin color and they realize that he's just another human being.

Nonsense, lies and White moderate propaganda. If you get violent towards people who want to murder you, it's called self preservation. Plenty of my people ended up swinging from a tree or getting raped in the dead of night because of this insane philosophy.
They met their enemies with a smile and a prayer and their enemy showed them no mercy.

Squire

Banned
I have a pretty generous view of the guy since he's been doing this for decades, but is there some ulterior motive you've noticed?

I don't know, how many years does he need to take interviews from news papers? His Netflix doc not enough?

Like, is the "work" he's doing not fulfilling enough on it's own? He needs to keep putting himself in the spotlight on top of it?

The thing is: I'm honestly not inclined to just automatically give him "Ah, seems like a great guy."

A great guy would share their story, keep doing their part on a micro level, and be conscious of how they might be poisoning the well on a macro level because, as stated, not every could it should approach this issue in this way, and nothing is even showing that the folks that do are really having any real impact. Nazis are marching in the streets. Darryl's stories every year aren't doing anything but allowing the able-bodied moderates that stay home to feel good about staying home. A lot of them won't even be following his example and having these conversations, but they're willing to - or so they tell thensekves - and that gives them peace of mind.

This kind of stuff is not helping in any meaningful way and is a big part of how we got here.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Generally when someone takes something I said, laughs at it, and offers no explanation as to why, it comes off as dismissive. My thoughts dismissed with a laugh essentially. Does that make sense?

I'm unclear as to why my reply is connected to "the middle" or as some response to someone mentioning the middle. The point I made was that Davis shouldn't be held up as an example that other POC should follow. Is that "the middle?"

Not gonna regurgitate what I already said in the quoted. I laughed at the response. Don't take it too personal. Do you..just don't claim dismissal..unless you can prove I wasn't just having a laugh..

Heh..you gonna get pushback..

Nonsense, lies and White moderate propaganda. If you get violent towards people who want to murder you, it's called self preservation. Plenty of my people ended up swinging from a tree or getting raped in the dead of night because of this insane philosophy.
They met their enemies with a smile and a prayer and their enemy showed them no mercy.

Agreed. If any of you here think love and peace is gonna drown out racism and violence and killing towards people of color....you are deluded.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that white supremacists should be killed?

America would be in a better place today if President Grant and Daniel P Upham had finished the job they started and killed off White extremists.
FYI, this quote is coming from a White man from Boston:
Upham on the Klan and other White exremists:"We will wail Hell out of the last one of them. Never allow one of them to return and live here. There is no other way. Nothing but good, healthy, square, honest killing would ever do them any good."

Daingurse

Can't knock the dude for what he's doing, but it wouldn't be me. I have no interest in having a dialogue with someone who hates me solely because I'm black. None. Only kind of confrontation I can honestly see myself having with an overt racist is a violent one. So I make it a point to not interact with people of that ilk.

Ryaaan14

Banned
More "all sides" nonsense. Stop normalizing hatred and racism as something that is just another opinion that deserves respect.

That wasn't even part of what I said tbh. U missed the part where I said ppl will listen if they're friends.

America would be in a better place today if President Grant and Daniel P Upham had finished the job they started and killed off White extremists.
FYI, this quote is coming from a White man from Boston:
Upham on the Klan and other White exremists:"We will wail Hell out of the last one of them. Never allow one of them to return and live here. There is no other way. Nothing but good, healthy, square, honest killing would ever do them any good."

You could kill every last one of these nazi/KKK fucks and you'd still live in a country that was built on systematically controlling your life with the right to murder you and take away your freedom.

Definitely not saying it aint a good idea

Yuck, normalizing human beings by having a conversation with them. Disgusting.

We must excommunicate them from all discussions while ridiculing them at every turn, also we must reject all political moderates who are unwilling to adhere to this all or nothing philosophy. Only then can we truly begin to lose every election.

This guy seems like good people and i dont really care about the "media agenda" of sharing the story, weird to start playing the media conspiracy card

Problem isn't with what the dude is doing. Problem is with the fact that some people tend to try to use this guy to say "See, this is how Black people should deal with the hatred, bigotry, and discrimination they feel on a daily basis! Just turn the other cheek and see it from their side!" When it's not our responsibility to be their ever-humble, ever-patient teacher.

Exactly. If you get violent towards people, you only fuel their hate.

Please read this and stop living in a snow globe:
9780465033102_custom-9232d09ff725b520d76a03d0c6630a975ec4c691-s400-c85.jpg

4657568_3_b936_dylann-roof-le-18-juin_9a1acc047a513ca9c200debd793dccc3.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't even part of what I said tbh. U missed the part where I said ppl will listen if they're friends.

Did you not see that you wrote this?

Ppl should be open to forming friendships w more ppl who may have unsavory opinions of the other. This includes whites to blacks, and every other combo.

This is fucking nonsense when one side are a bunch of hateful racists who want the subjects of their hatred dead. Those aren't just "unsavory opinions."

Enzom21

This thread is starting to be an annual thing huh? Joy.
Can't wait for the same cyclical arguments like we get in the annual blackface thread.

Exactly. If you get violent towards people, you only fuel their hate. This guy bonds with them over something else that's not about race and in the end, they forget his skin color and they realize that he's just another human being.
Violent push back against racism and white supremacy has never worked.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting that white supremacists should be killed?

Oh you're one of those. More concerned with the well-being of racists than you are for the targets of their hate.

This thread is starting to be an annual thing huh? Joy.

Violent push back against racism and white supremacy has never worked.

Oh you're one of those. More concerned with the well-being of racists than you are for the targets of their hate.

Gotta further white supremacy every which way.

You could kill every last one of these nazi/KKK fucks and you'd still live in a country that was built on systematically controlling your life with the right to murder you and take away your freedom.

Definitely not saying it aint a good idea
Black America wouldve been in a much stronger economic position to fight back against that if they'd been allowed to gain capital and participate in elections after the Civil War. (not just the 10 years of Reconstruction) Black Americans barely lived anywhere outside the Southern States until White extremist terror caused a migration of refugees fleeing from the violence. They left behind their properties, businesses and homes.

So not only did these Nazi degenerates murder, rape, and beat, they cost Black America an ungodly amount of material wealth that couldve been passed down through the generations.

Imm0rt4l

How many times is This story gonna pop up? That it keeps appearing has me feeling fucked with. The onus ain't on me teach bigots not to be pieces of shit.

I don't know, how many years does he need to take interviews from news papers? His Netflix doc not enough?

Like, is the "work" he's doing not fulfilling enough on it's own? He needs to keep putting himself in the spotlight on top of it?

The thing is: I'm honestly not inclined to just automatically give him "Ah, seems like a great guy."

A great guy would share their story, keep doing their part on a micro level, and be conscious of how they might be poisoning the well on a macro level because, as stated, not every could it should approach this issue in this way, and nothing is even showing that the folks that do are really having any real impact. Nazis are marching in the streets. Darryl's stories every year aren't doing anything but allowing the able-bodied moderates that stay home to feel good about staying home. A lot of them won't even be following his example and having these conversations, but they're willing to - or so they tell thensekves - and that gives them peace of mind.

This kind of stuff is not helping in any meaningful way and is a big part of how we got here.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Yeah that's reasonable and fair. I'm persuaded to agree.
Not gonna regurgitate what I already said in the quoted. I laughed at the response. Don't take it too personal. Do you..just don't claim dismissal..unless you can prove I wasn't just having a laugh..
Oh I take you at your word. I was explaining why you came off that way and why you didn't make sense to me.

D i Z

How many times is This story gonna pop up? That it keeps appearing has me feeling fucked with. The onus ain't on me teach bigots not to be pieces of shit.

Hate to say it but consider yourself fucked with. This is as deliberate as daylight.

WarLox

That’s when the man, with prompting from his friend, told Davis he was in the KKK.

“I was still naive, so I just laughed at first,” Davis said. “I didn’t believe him until he showed me his Klan card.”

So we are going to skip right over this? I have so many questions.

Why do klan members have a card? What does the card do? Do they get discounts at field & stream? Does that mean theres a database with all the official klan member on it?

Hate to say it but consider yourself fucked with. This is as deliberate as daylight.

That's the thing. Shit gets used as an example how "extremist Blacks" need to take a page from this dude's book cause "this is how you do it".

So we are going to skip right over this? I have so many questions.

Why do klan members have a card? What does the card do? Do they get discounts at field & stream? Does that mean theres a database with all the official klan member on it?

dead2.gif

Peterpan

I mean dude got physically attacked several times and by multiple people at a time. I've read some stuff on it a while back. So no it's not as easy as it sounds, especially when he put himself in danger.

So no this is not a good approach for everyone or anyone and should not be expected as it is by nature dangerous, smh at people who think this is the way it should be done.

Well done to him, it's a difficult thing to do.

That's the thing. Shit gets used as an example how "extremist Blacks" need to take a page from this dude's book cause "this is how you do it".

dead2.gif

Why am I suddenly getting flashbacks to people telling us how to protest???

You know how the media is they love to dictate how we should act. They want black people to be passive but when you do something to a white person they fucking ready to go to war. So yeah this peaceful aint working like people pretend to be. You can't be peaceful to people who want genocide.

Exactly.

Kyzer

Banned
The vagueness of the word is amazing given the long list of members to the human race whose opinion we dont give a fuck about. You know despots, rapists, murderers... or in this case genocidal terrorists.

KKK aren't your run of the mill organization, White Supremacy is not your standard movements as we've seen countless times already in history including more recently Charlottesville.

The fact that you think its perfectly reasonable to communicate with these people shows everyone how far removed from reality you are.

And the fact that you try to make a persausive argument about votes is hilarious, disavowing white supremacists, kkk...ect... is not a political position, its a moral position.

Are you equating me saying this guy should be able to argue with racists all he wants to me arguing against the disavowment of the KKK? Are you also saying the man talking to them doesnt also disavow the KKK? As if arguing against them is an effective endorsement? And also that its unreasonable for him to even talk to them? And yes I called the KKK humans, I only meant it as a technical term...

If the guy wants to argue with the KKK he can, I wouldnt, but I still support his right to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom