• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner reveals Monolith's (FEAR dev) Guardians of Middle-Earth game

Aselith

5 Hobbits vs Saruman, Sauron, Balrog, Smaug and a Nazghul seems pretty fair.

I can't lie though it would be kind of cool if Bilbo goes invisible with the Ring and the Nazhul and Sauron are instantly alerted to his location.

antonz

Reminds me of Ubisoft buying Massive and instead of a new world in conflict we get nothing but them being backup assistance to other teams

Mrbob

Monolith rumored to be working on a NOLF inspired spiritual sequel and an Inception game and now we see a LOTR DOTA game instead. :/

Of course, I highly doubt this is the whole team working on this product so hopefully we'll see something else from them soon enough.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1997 Blood - AWESOME
1998 Get Medieval - Good
1998 Shogo - Good, unique
1998 Blood II - Okay
1999 Gruntz - Never played it
2000 Sanity: Aiken's Artifact - Good
2000 No One Lives Forever - AWESOME
2001 Aliens versus Predator 2 - Good
2002 No One Lives Forever 2 - AWESOME
2003 Tron 2.0 - Good
2003 Contract J.A.C.K. - Never played, got bad reviews
2005 The Matrix Online - A sign that they will fuck with Monolith, heard it was okay but NO THANKS
2005 F.E.A.R. - AWESOME
2005 Condemned - AWESOME
2008 Condemned 2 - AWESOME
2009 F.E.A.R. 2 - Good
2011 F.E.A.R. 3 moved to Day One, preparing to fuck with Monolith
2012 Gotham City Impostors - Officially fucking with Monolith
2012 Guardians of Middle-Earth - Continuing to fuck with Monolith

MonolithAndy

Monolith Productions
Hey folks, worry not - we hear your calls for gameplay footage, and it's coming very, very soon.

Full disclosure: I'm the Community Manager at Monolith.

ArjanN

1997 Blood - AWESOME
1998 Get Medieval - Good
1998 Shogo - Good, unique
1998 Blood II - Okay
1999 Gruntz - Never played it
2000 Sanity: Aiken's Artifact - Good
2000 No One Lives Forever - AWESOME
2001 Aliens versus Predator 2 - Good
2002 No One Lives Forever 2 - AWESOME
2003 Tron 2.0 - Good
2003 Contract J.A.C.K. - Never played, got bad reviews
2005 The Matrix Online - A sign that they will fuck with Monolith, heard it was okay but NO THANKS
2005 F.E.A.R. - AWESOME
2005 Condemned - AWESOME
2008 Condemned 2 - AWESOME
2009 F.E.A.R. 2 - Good
2012 Gotham City Impostors - Officially fucking with Monolith
2012 Guardians of Middle-Earth - Continuing to fuck with Monolith

Gotham City Impostors is actually pretty good. Otherwise I mostly agree.

element

Monolith was never working on F.E.A.R. 3. F.E.A.R. 3 was actually F.E.A.R. 2 originally, as Vivendi owned the name and Monolith owned the characters and was working on Project Origin. When Activision/Vivendi happened, they sold off the F.E.A.R. trademark and development of their F.E.A.R. 2 (F.E.A.R. 3), Project Origin became F.E.A.R. 2, and F.E.A.R. 2 became F.E.A.R. 3. That gets confusing.

Hey folks, worry not - we hear your calls for gameplay footage, and it's coming very, very soon.

Full disclosure: I'm the Community Manager at Monolith.
Hi Andy :D Please kick Dayne.

Mechazawa

F.E.A.R. 2 was Monolith, but not really the same team that made F.E.A.R. The team who made F.E.A.R. next game was Gotham City Impostors.

So...according to you...the "F.E.A.R. team" spent 6 years working on a downloadable $15 game.

Edit: And Gotham City haters back up. That game is fantastic.

Seeing Gollum attack Gandalf and bite him was pretty hilarious.

What a dumb idea for a game, and I hate how they used generic shitty trailer music for this when they had access to one of the GREATEST OSTs of ALL TIME.

Will pass, Lego LOTR seems more promising.

MonolithAndy

Monolith Productions
Any word on how it plays?

What type of game is it?
Yep! It's a MOBA. You'll see more exceptionally soon.

Monolith was never working on F.E.A.R. 3. F.E.A.R. 3 was actually F.E.A.R. 2 originally, as Vivendi owned the name and Monolith owned the characters and was working on Project Origin. When Activision/Vivendi happened, they sold off the F.E.A.R. trademark and development of their F.E.A.R. 2 (F.E.A.R. 3), Project Origin became F.E.A.R. 2, and F.E.A.R. 2 became F.E.A.R. 3. That gets confusing.

Hi Andy :D Please kick Dayne.
The kicking shall be attempted. He does play an awful lot of soccer, so it may not be in my best interest.

Dice

I am not hating on the gameplay design of GCI. I am saying the whole concept is completely absurd and I would much rather have Monolith demonstrating their original creative powers which nearly always resulted in something fresh, incredibly stylish, and solid in gameplay. Building a one-off big-license DD game around some stupid, unnecessary comic relief character in Dark Knight Returns just seems like a disrespectful mis-utilization of what I consider to be one of the most talented developers in the industry. If someone from Monolith wants to step up and say it was all their initiative I'll be here to go "WTF?" but until that happens I can only assume it's the higher ups fucking around with a group they don't rightly appreciate.

P.S. I abhor MOBA games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What the utter fucking Hell is this shit, Monolith? First you ruined the Blood IP, and now you shit all over Tolkien's legendarium with this.. this.. filth. Jesus.

AColdDay

Booooooo....

I shouldn't hate on a game I know next to nothing about, but I am so disappointed that this is Monolith's next project that I can't help it.

BOOOOOOO

Jarlaxle

I like Lord of the Rings. I've always been interested in playing a MOBA and I would prefer to play on one of my consoles.

I'm down to see how this turns out. Obviously I am in the minority.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Booooooo....

I shouldn't hate on a game I know next to nothing about, but I am so disappointed that this is Monolith's next project that I can't help it.

BOOOOOOO

What the utter fucking Hell is this shit, Monolith? First you ruined the Blood IP, and now you shit all over Tolkien's legendarium with this.. this.. filth. Jesus.

lol Here comes Monolith's fan club. One of the few times I've seen a company get hated on for not making another first person shooter.

EYEL1NER

Damn. I saw the thread title and thought "I am having a blast with the cheap copy of War in the North that I just got, I'm game for more LotR!"
Until I saw this:
multiplayer online battle arena game
Don't want.

AColdDay

lol Here comes Monolith's fan club. One of the few times I've seen a company get hated on for not making another first person shooter.

Hey, I'm all for first person shooters as long as they bring original ideas to the table. F.E.A.R. and Call of Duty are nothing alike, and its a bit disheartening to see one of the few creative studios that work in that genre making a licensed online battle arena game.

But, hey I concede that I shouldn't badmouth a game that I know next to nothing about.

Also, what is up with the surge of MOBAs?

gabbo

Yep! It's a MOBA. You'll see more exceptionally soon.

The kicking shall be attempted. He does play an awful lot of soccer, so it may not be in my best interest.

Is this LOTR game is the only thing Monolith is working on? A simple yes/no is all I ask ;)

Poyunch

It's weird that Nintendo is outsourcing their developer. This is the first time they've done this, correct?

injurai

Banned
I can only think that we will soon be leaving this nightmare of a generation, but everyday I wake up and I'm still hear. Perhaps this nightmare is better than the hell that is about to come.

Dice

Also, what is up with the surge of MOBAs?
Existing in pro competitions + One existing from a big name (Valve) = It is now something to try and cash in on

Do not underestimate the senseless copycat mindset of publishers.

Sojgat

XDGbl.jpg

People like this.

but... he looks like such a nice man.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So this is what Monolith's up to.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As a console-primary gamer who has just touched on "MOBA" thanks to Awesomenauts and Super Monday Night Combat... this game sounds like a cool idea.

No matter if there are multiple big profile games like this on PC... we only really have 1 on console. Plenty of room for another. And a downloadable game, even! I personally like hearing that a talented dev is working on something that's NOT another FPS, y'know? I find I spend more and more time with the bitsized, refined downloadable games, and if this turns out to be one, it'll be very welcomed.

Glad to hear we'll see gameplay soon, too. If this all comes together well, I could see the game being a nice change of pace between the other more obvious "big-hits" at years end.

the good news just keep on coming today

If E3 week continues to be like this I just might hit the bottle earlier than expected.

i don't know if this is sarcasm or what but that bit in the hobbit where bilbo fights thorin in the lake-town arena, then gandalf and all the other dwarves join in, that is totally the best bit.

Dice

As a console-primary gamer who has just touched on "MOBA" thanks to Awesomenauts and Super Monday Night Combat... this game sounds like a cool idea.
MOBA is not what you think it is.

Top Bottom