• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner reveals Monolith's (FEAR dev) Guardians of Middle-Earth game

It's weird that Nintendo is outsourcing their developer. This is the first time they've done this, correct?

If you're joking, then good job. XD

If not, then you should probably know there are two companies with the name: Monolith (guys behind FEAR) and Monolith Soft (guys behind Xenoblade). This game is from the first one, not the Nintendo owned second one.

MonolithAndy

Monolith Productions
I am not hating on the gameplay design of GCI. I am saying the whole concept is completely absurd and I would much rather have Monolith demonstrating their original creative powers which nearly always resulted in something fresh, incredibly stylish, and solid in gameplay. Building a one-off big-license DD game around some stupid, unnecessary comic relief character in Dark Knight Returns just seems like a disrespectful mis-utilization of what I consider to be one of the most talented developers in the industry. If someone from Monolith wants to step up and say it was all their initiative I'll be here to go "WTF?" but until that happens I can only assume it's the higher ups fucking around with a group they don't rightly appreciate.

P.S. I abhor MOBA games.

Truthfully, it was 100% our idea. I could speak to it at length but the Art Director on Impostors, David Longo, already has.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ax3j1.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
MOBA is not what you think it is.

Lane pushing, Creeps, nnnoyances by feeders, loads of champion classes to pick from, etc. Awesomenauts was specifically made to be a console-focused MOBA, and most of what makes SMNC different from original MNC is the MOBA based influences.

At it's core, the "genre" focuses on unique central characters, strategy, teamwork, and working with the CPU mini-army.

These are the features / qualities I hope to get out of the game. At their best, these elements scratch some of what I love in Beat'em Ups and Strategy / Action RPGS, all in one, so I find it a pretty nice genre to see different publishers trying to find a personal style within.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well if this is more like SMNC then it could be cool. They strike me as really different things even though they have those core elements. Something like SMNC feels like a development of team deathmatch modes, which were always dominated by CTF. Like CTF and the different modes in CS and TF2, it's another expression of the basic concept of objective-based teamwork in the midst of battle. It's a nice change of pace. Something like DOTA is more like a great way to fuck up RTS and Action RPGs at the same time. It takes every single aspect of gameplay and makes it passive aggressive. It's astoundingly annoying. They are totally different beasts in my mind and I only heard MOBA in reference to DOTA, LoL, HoN, RoI, etc.

Ithil

As a gamer the genre doesn't seem interesting to me. As a LOTR fan the watering down of the series into a silly MOTA game is irksome.

gabbo

The industry has not been kind to the classic Texas based FPS developers.
Monolith is based in Washington.
Andy, is "Guardians" going to be using Jupiter Ex, like Imposters and most recent Monolith titles (assuming you can speak to that)?

My son drag me to play this at PAX and it was surprisingly fun and control really well using Xbox controller. I generally don't care for Dota or LoL type if game but this got me interest.

Top Bottom