• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 Review Thread - Make Cyber-Love not Cyber-War

King_Moc

Banned
Thought he was known to be critical, if not elitist

Surprised an ubi sequel got his blood running.

Nah, he's opinionated for sure, but he's definitely not elitist. He complains about Ubisoft all the time, but when they release a good game he'll review it well. Similarly, he's not afraid to destroy a game in a review if he doesn't like it, regardless of who it's from. He's got integrity, I'd say.

Memory

This had almost dropped off my radar thanks to some amazing games hitting in a flurry, these good reviews have put it back on the list.

IGN.... Why even bother.

Skux

This is nuts. I felt the sequel would be improved but I didn't think the reviews would be this glowing.

marmoka

Banned
Great scores overall (except IGN). I got convinced to get the game, but I will wait for an edition that includes all season pass content.

Added to Wishlist!

ZeroX03

Banned
So IGN's isn't even really a 6.5, sounds like the score will go up and I believe it's confirmed we're getting (another) day one patch before wide release.

The rest seem like slam dunks.

jayu26

I get a different impression from the noise level threads here on GAF.

More quiet than the OG, but still not "silent".
Look the size of that thread. You hve to realize that on internet people are more inclined to post when there is a problem rather than lack of one. If it was wide spread problem that thread would be huge. There are plenty, even in thread, who have been surprised by how quite (or silent, whichever word you want to use) their Pro is.

DKHF

I know review in progress but IGN is 6.5 and everyone else is 9? What's going on?
He's giving it that score under the assumption people really care about the game's multiplayer which has had major technical issues. I guess other reviewers are assuming multiplayer is less important to people and/or that the multiplayer issues will be fixed via a day one patch (as Polygon says) so not letting it detract as much.

Bugs, frame rate problems ? I read a lot of people writing that in the other thread. If a game gets high scores despite those problems, reviews become useless.

Lucifon

Isn't a day 1 patch due today or tomorrow?

If so, maybe some negaties aren't valid any more?

Should be today really, game is going to start hitting regions in the next few hours. Who knows though but Ubi seem to have told press they should have the online things fixed by launch so...

He's giving it that score under the assumption people really care about the game's multiplayer which has had major technical issues. I guess other reviewers are assuming multiplayer is less important to people and/or that the multiplayer issues will be fixed via a day one patch (as Polygon says) so not letting it detract as much.

FWIW on my end, like I said in my Polygon review, the multiplayer is fun but inessential. Even if it was completely non-functional, I don't think it would lower my estimation of the game much. If you're SUPER into what Watch Dogs 2 has to offer on multiplayer and that's a core reason you're buying the game, take that into account however.

Bugs, frame rate problems ? I read a lot of people writing that in the other thread. If a game gets high scores despite those problems, reviews become useless.

Mentioned the framerate issues in my review. They were infrequent and far from game-breaking for me, but definitely annoying.

GlamFM

Banned
I don't see any score there.

yG115LZ.png

EDIT - Oh, I get it - the stars are still white.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-14-watch-dogs-2-online-is-broken-what-works-and-what-doesnt

In my experience, any attempt to play with other people left the game chugging at around 10fps until I quit and restarted - although the frequency this occurred varied among the Eurogamer team.

But while Ubisoft describes the issue as affecting the game's seamless online only - where players can suddenly appear in your game to hack or help you - the game's multiplayer servers are more affected than you might think.

Co-op gameplay does work - this is where you send a direct request to a friend to join you and you can play together. We tested this just now.

Online sessions with random co-op partners do not work - these are the purple icons on your map, for activity types such as taking over gang hideouts, freeing DedSec prisoners and the like.

You'll first see a message that Ubisoft servers are searching for other players nearby, then in your region, then finally globally. And then it will fail to connect.

J@hranimo

Banned
A Jim Sterling 9/10 is all that is needed to be said.

Might get this around the holiday!

Edit: or whenever the PC release happens.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Watch Dogs 2 is the perfect sequel. It takes everything that made the first game unique and original, and expands on all of it. Everything is better, from the hacking, to the story, the setting and the variety of content. Watch Dogs 2 is far from being just more of the same. An apt comparison could be the jump from the first Assassins Creed game to Assassins Creed 2. While the first was a promising yet clunky new idea, the sequel delivered on that idea and turned it into one of the most iconic series of the last decade. With Watch Dogs 2, Ubisoft is well on its way to recreating that same magic.

No way , i cant play a open world like watch dog 2 with a ultra arcade car gameplay... No way ...

I hate that , i hate that choice ... Ultra bad physic and gameplay...

Mik2121

What the hell are those IGN review in process? Haha that's an incredibly stupid concept, but somehow I'm not surprised it comes from IGN.

Turnstyle

Independent - 4/5

Watch Dogs 2 could have very easily been just another open world game that did things by numbers, but it’s clear that this is a game made by a passionate team, and their sense of sheer fun bleeds through into the world at almost every turn, creating a genuinely innovative and rewarding experience.

I wait for reviews on games I have doubt in. I liked watch dogs but gave up half way thru because it felt like a slog. Fuck im actually considering picking this up. Maybe I'll wait for the inevitable GameStop giftcards my girlfriends parents get me every year.

Fliesen

Jimquisition 9/10 for a "Ubisoft Open World game"?

must be exquisitly crafted, then.

#iconic

must.not.pull.trigger.
must.wait.till.christmas.

Mifec

Dang just read Jim's review. Good job Ubi, especially on the story and presentation parts. Too bad you killed off Christy Mack and replaced her with the new uggo.

Top Bottom