• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 Review Thread - Make Cyber-Love not Cyber-War

Raxus

I am super excited for this. Ubisoft tends to take flawed first experiences and really refines them for the sequels (AC->AC2)

Can't wait.

Ambient80

Wow, pretty good scores so far! I saw a Twitch stream of the first couple hours I think. The dialogue was lacking, but the gameplay seemed fun.

Moa

Is the pre-load not available for Xbox One?

Can't get it to pop after pre-ordering on Xbox.com

Auctopus

Knew it. The game looked solid from even early gameplay but the Ubi-hate squad on GAF were drowning it out.

I doubt the leap is as big as AC1 to AC2 overall but what I've played throughout the year has been solid.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still on the fence with this one, but these reviews are certainly swaying me. Whenever stealth was an option in a mission in the first game I absolutely loved every second of it, but for the rest of the game I really couldn't stand the missions with driving, shootouts, or just the scripted missions where you would fail immediately if you did one thing out of line. It sounds like the missions are more open-ended here, and that stealth is more viable, which is nice.

While I also thought the first game's story was shitty, it was mostly low-key and only ever got really cringeworthy during a few scenes, but from some of the footage I've seen of this one, like the E3 demo the characters and their designs seem insanely obnoxious and try-hard "hey kids aren't we cool?" which is really off putting.

So far, so good. I have to read through IGN's finished review to see if some of the points he makes warrants the 6.5. Glad to see the majority actually quite likes it and feels it is a step up from the first title.

Turnstyle

from some of the footage I've seen of this one, like the E3 demo the characters and their designs seem insanely obnoxious and try-hard "hey kids aren't we cool?" which is really off putting.

I felt the same as you going in, but it's very well written, and very knowing.

For example, when your character takes a dig at some hipsters, another character quickly points out that he is also a hipster, whether he likes it or not.

All the meme-speak, cultural references, hell, even a trip to a
Burning Man inspired festiva
l are all very tongue in cheek and written with a wry knowing wink to the player.

SJRB

Gold Member
4cvzRua.gif

Redemption.

Karak

While I also thought the first game's story was shitty, it was mostly low-key and only ever got really cringeworthy during a few scenes, but from some of the footage I've seen of this one, like the E3 demo the characters and their designs seem insanely obnoxious and try-hard "hey kids aren't we cool?" which is really off putting.

This one is bad enough that I started putting headphones on when others were around:) Its on purpose cringe for sure though. I even had to point that out in my review. But ya its crowd sourced hip to such an extreme its painful even though that is also supposed to be on purpose.The story is not a highlight:)

For example, when your character takes a dig at some hipsters, another character quickly points out that he is also a hipster, whether he likes it or not.

l are all very tongue in cheek and written with a wry knowing wink to the player.

well that's darn good to hear

JoeNut

I'm really surprised, the first one was really quite bad, and i didn't expect it to get much better.

I wont be buying it new, but i might pick it up down the line

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Is that really much better than the alternative?

"Let's fill our game with epic memes"
"Some people are getting annoyed by that at this point"
"We'll just acknowledge that it's annoying then!"

Dalibor68

Banned
Jim gave it a 9.............FFFFFUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKK

He also gave Fallout 4 a 9,5/10 and Rainbow Six Siege a 6,5/10, so yeah. Not the metric I'd wanna go by.

Did not yet have time to read many of the reviews, what's the status on collectathons / sidequests? Is there quality sidestuff or just the same generic races / hackstations etc like in WD1, Far Cry 4 etc?

Javin98

Banned
Really hoping this scores at least a 90, along with FFXV and The Last Guardian, so a certain vocal minority on GAF can shut up about this gen not having "great games."

Anyway, I liked the first game, but I won't be picking this up anytime soon. I'm already planning to get FFXV and Battlefield 1 in December, so my holiday lineup is already stacked. Interesting to hear that this game has a lot of humour, though. One of my main criticisms of the first game is that it took itself way too seriously.

That ign score seems very far outside the range of the rest. I wonder if it'll see a bump before finalisation, although if they're hoping the multiplayer will elevate it I'm not sure that's the case.

From the rest of the reviews tho it DOES seem like an improvement, but I'm hesitant due to the reviews that said the gameplay was too repetitive.

Hmm.

anddo0

My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk Rated it a Wait for Sale

Tested on PS4, PS4pro, Xbox and XboxS just in case:)

"Not bad at all but with some issues performance wise and also the rote gameplay I don't feel the need to ever return."

Pros
Interesting world
music
Sound
Driving(also as con...ya its odd)

Cons
Rote to the extreme
Story is all over the place
Gameplay bland
Driving(Also a pro...ya its weird)
Multi all over the place(though when it worked it was good fun)

Saw your review earlier..

Everyone seems be gushing over the reviews.. But, what I saw is a 6/7 out of 10 game.
I have the game pre-ordered on PC (which seems the way to go). However, I feel that UBI left a lot on the table. The console versions look like they struggle a lot, it's a real shame the PRO does nothing to improve performance.

For once IGN gets it right.. I feel people really want this game to be good after Watch Dogs 1.. It seems improved, more fun.. But, does little more than that.

My review of #WatchDogs2 10/10 An open world masterpiece set in a lively an vibrant world with something for everyone to enjoy.

Having spent almost 40 hours in the world you can see an feel the team learned from the 1st game. You can upgrade Marcus without touching the story by just roaming. The npc AI in the world is simply amazing as you will find many different types of people milling about with tons of different reactions.

The driving is a step above the 1st game with a great deal of destruction. The world is filled with things to get in whether it be people watching,listening to a great selection of songs on foot, calling gangs on people or police arrestingredients someone.

Visit Oakland an have 4 different gangs having a shootout or take in Pier 39 with its vibrant crowd.

Runs smooth and clean on Pro. Hacking is fun and causing chaos is a good time. Police won't find you if you hide in a good corner or back Alley, throw an individual and make it explodes on npcs an you don't get swarming police on you, you just go about your business.. great police ai..I am loving it...

Turnstyle

Is that really much better than the alternative?

"Let's fill our game with epic memes"
"Some people are getting annoyed by that at this point"
"We'll just acknowledge that it's annoying then!"

Well, Aiden Pearce in the first game was a snooze-fest. The protagonists in WD2 might be over the top caricatures of 'leet haz0rs', but I found them a lot of fun, because they are so ridiculous. I genuinely never found them flat out 'annoying'.

Got to play a few hours last night at a friends house who got it early, it improves in every way over WD1 especially the protaganist, characters, story, setting - bay area is GORGEOUS, I mean the first time you drive over the golden gate.... FUUUUUCK - but the mechanics mostly remain the same. They did add a few new tech toy gadgets which are hella fun to use, like ground and air drones. I played on PS4 (regular, not pro) and while we saw some FPS drop issues at times, zero crashes or anything else.

Driving still really sucks, NPCs are still really dumb, cop AI is terrible, etc, etc. Its got all those "UBI" things like Assassins Creed vision, towers, collectathons, outpost clearing, etc although they at least amped up the zaniness a little bit over typical Ubi games.

If you detest UBI style mechanics (Far Cry, Creed, WD1) you will hate this game. If you are burned out of open world games this one will feel super grindy to you.

However, If you haven't played an open world game in a while and just want to chill out in a big map, wander around, and see emergent craziness from just standing in the middle of a street and watching AI NPC cars dogpile all around you, this is a great game to do it in.

I'm going to wait until a b2g1 sale to pick up my copy (along with dishonored 2) but I thought watch dogs 1 was super boring and think this improves it in every way. A little burned out on open world games though after division, primal, just cause 3, and mafia 3.

My review of #WatchDogs2 10/10 An open world masterpiece set in a lively an vibrant world with something for everyone to enjoy.

Having spent almost 40 hours in the world you can see an feel the team learned from the 1st game. You can upgrade Marcus without touching the story by just roaming. The npc AI in the world is simply amazing as you will find many different types of people milling about with tons of different reactions.

The driving is a step above the 1st game with a great deal of destruction. The world is filled with things to get in whether it be people watching,listening to a great selection of songs on foot, calling gangs on people or police arrestingredients someone.

Visit Oakland an have 4 different gangs having a shootout or take in Pier 39 with its vibrant crowd.

Runs smooth and clean on Pro. Hacking is fun and causing chaos is a good time. Police won't find you if you hide in a good corner or back Alley, throw an individual and make it explodes on npcs an you don't get swarming police on you, you just go about your business.. great police ai..I am loving it...
Homepage: watchdogsforum.net

🙄

Karak

Everyone seems be gushing over the reviews.. But, what I saw is a 6/7 out of 10 game.
I have the game pre-ordered on PC (which seems the way to go). However, I feel that UBI left a lot on the table. The console versions look like they struggle a lot, it's a real shame the PRO does nothing to improve performance.

For once IGN gets it right.. I feel people really want this game to be good after Watch Dogs 1.. It seems improved, more fun.. But, does little more than that.

I dont do numbers but i would say to me its higher than that probably but not super high. Just pretty good overall but not great and most certainly not bad.

ISee

Karaks review made me a bit more hesitant. Good thing the PC version is delayed (never thought I'd say that), gives me more time to wait for more settled impressions once gafs rising hype settles a bit.
Who is reviewing this for EZA btw?

Lucifon

30 hours

The driving sounds like the polar opposite from what I've read

Nice honest review
Watch_Dogs 2 REVIEW - Improvements At A Cost----- By-MrMattyPlays

Driving is fine imo, it's arcadey but fun. I don't play games like this to experience incredible simulation driving, just something that works and is fun.

I've played about 5 hours so far and I'm loving it. It's an improvement over the first in almost every single way, just a lot of fun throughout. Entertaining mechanics, characters and missions. I've barely touched the main story but I've been having a blast doing side stuff and exploring the world. I hope they get the online bits sorted for tomorrow as I'm really looking forward to delving into that stuff.

I've been playing it on the Pro and it looks gorgeous, runs perfectly fine too. I've experienced 1 very noticable fps dip that lasted a few seconds and that's it. Can only assume the major fps issues are definitely some online related issue, as the seamless online stuff hasn't been working when I've been playing.

Karak

Karaks review made me a bit more hesitant. Good thing the PC version is delayed (never thought I'd say that), gives me more time to wait for more settled impressions once gafs rising hype settles a bit.
Who is reviewing this for EZA btw?

Well remember that just means I think its good but not great. Also I review sound music and voice as actual tangible categories and I know a lot of folks don't and since sound have issues and so does some voice performances that brought it down a bit. If others aren't caring or really reviewing that. Then it seems a safe bet.
That doesn't change that I found it less fun than some.

Top Bottom