• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: The Dying Man Who Found Hope in 'Breath of the Wild'

• Thread starter Deleted member 465307
  • Start date
Fuck, I'm holding back tears at work. Playing Zelda with my siblings is one of my fondest memories growing up. I can't imagine what it would be like losing one of my brothers or sister like that. I think there would be certain games that I wouldn't be able to play ever again. Rest in peace, Gabe.

I was kinda bummed Nintendo only let him get to play for 30 minutes but they did at least give him a tour and a bunch of freebies. Did I miss who the poster was signed by? It'd be incredible if it was Miyamoto and Aunouma.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Wow. This made me cry. I hope they have games in heaven and he gets to play this game and any others to come. R.I.P.

BiggNife

Definitely made me tear up a little bit, but I'm happy he at least got to play it. Sometimes the video game community isn't so bad.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This... this guy could be me. He was the same age I am.

... I need to go to a clinic and get a full check up. I never got one.

Jimrpg

Yes great article from Patrick.

He made it to the Switch press conference but man would have been nice to make it to Zelda release. Damn.

God damn. I felt for him so much when they talked about his medical condition and weight gain. To see your body get out of your control and yet still have such an uplifting attitude.

Fuck me man.

He should have made it. :(

Nepenthe

It's amazing the impact media like video games can have on someone's quality of life. Good on Nintendo for allowing him to play it early, and here's hoping he experiences the full thing with his brother in spirit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It would be wonderful if anyone that's making the game's OT dedicated the OT to Gabe, to appreciate just how important Zelda is to him. Like, Breath of the Wild |OT| <Insert Gabe Appreciation> here or something.

It's the least we can do to such a dedicated fellow fan of the game who loved the series with all his soul but wasn't fortunate enough to experience it with us.

Vinnk

Tears.

Reminds me of something in my life.

A friend of mine was a big Shenmue fan. He played through the first game several times and was pumped about the second, which he was following online, when he unexpectedly passed away from meningitis. He was only 22.

Now whenever I hear about Shenmue 3 a little part of me still feels so sad that he never got to see the series end.

Buying a PS4 and will be playing it in his honor.

It's been pretty dang clear that during the time Gabe visited the Redmond offices people like Nate and Bill and others involved in localizing were playing a near final build. This story would've been on another level if they let him truly loose within the game for a full day. Mak him sign some NDAs or whatever

oh well. I'll be thinking of Gabe when I jump in head first next month, and will also be making DAMN sure I'm wearing my helmet while cycling in NYC

RIP Gabe.

I know how it is having a close family member suffer with an illness, but not for 27 years. Im sure most of us will be thinking of him when we get our hands on the game.

Its incredible to think about the impact that these games can have on the lives of everyone that has played and enjoyed them.

Noitshado

Man this gave me some deep feels. Especially because of the title of the game Breath of the Wild. You can literally feel his desire of wanting to take a breath of the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs

It reminds me of the Kiwi animation I ran into a long time out of random. I was not ready for that. Life and living it is precious. Thx for the reminder Gabe and hope you got to live your life to the fullest.

Kyonashi

I'm really glad we have Waypoint for articles like this, the podcast is great too. Very solid addition to games journalism.

And most people have said it already but yeah, that passage about him being excited to make it to release day was utterly heartbreaking. I'm really glad Gabe got to play the game.

- J - D -

Wow. I'm so glad I got to know even a small bit about him. Thanks for sharing.

We're all so damn fragile. Hold onto to the things you love for as long as you can have them.

Lucifon

Tragic but heartwarming story. Knowing how that trailer made me feel I can only imagine how Gabe felt watching it. RIP :(

It would be wonderful if anyone that's making the game's OT dedicated the OT to Gabe, to appreciate just how important Zelda is to him. Like, Breath of the Wild |OT| <Insert Gabe Appreciation> here or something.

It's the least we can do to such a dedicated fellow fan of the game who loved the series with all his soul but wasn't fortunate enough to experience it with us.
I support this notion.

RIP Gabe.

Very happy that Nintendo went out of their way after the Reddit story blew up and gave him the opportunity to play the game. It's a real shame that he passed away. :(

Cuburt

Oh man...

After reading that last sentence of the article, I had a thought. If Gabe played through Twilight Princess HD, his brother can play with his Wolf Link in BotW to have Gabe play along side him in the game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm sure myself and many others will be thinking about him when playing the game, which I think he would very much enjoy considering how much he loved the series.

Slighty off-topic: I have only discovered Waypoint recently, and it has fast become my favourite gaming website/podcast out there right now.

m4st4

I was unexpectedly moved while watching that glorious trailer for the first time and can only imagine how he felt watching it. Incredibly touching story and a true testament to the power of gaming.

Terrell

My best to his family and loved ones during this trying time.

As well, kudos to Waypoint/Vice for a fantastic article that honors the man behind the story and the entertainment medium we shared an appreciation of with him.

maxcriden

Wonderful idea. I think it's Dawg making the OT, I'll PM him.

Top Bottom