• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome @Majornelson to NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Exactly, but Sony are dividing their focus. "We'll support TV here, and handheld gaming here, and PS4 here" whereas Xbox are in a position where they can say "We've got the Xbox One, and we can support Microsoft devices with Xbox properties. Our focus is in this one, all-encompassing device".

I understand what you are saying with options, but if you divide your customer base enough it's going to be difficult to support any one area. 'PSVita TV owners, PS4 owners, PS4 owners with PS Eye cameras, PS Vita owners' whereas the Xbox division has their focus squarely on 'Xbox One owners' in the coming future. It's just different ways of doing things, but I just thought it was interesting that the PS4 gets billed as more gamer focused, which I suppose is true, but these other devices sort of negate that.

Every single tv/movie option on the PS Vita TV can be done with the PS4. There's really no splitting anything.

It's pretty much like the rumored Xbox model with no slot drive and a focus on multimedia that ended up getting cut.

Zephyrus

Banned
Reading some of your posts i'm not feeling at all what you just said lol
*smirks*

you really think I like microsoft?

Have no shame or fear in saying I don't like and will NEVER support a company that treats it's consumers like the most idiotic cattle out there.

Jimrpg

Is this the Hello MajorNelson thread?

MajorNelson - I used to listen to your podcast (back in like 2006)? The first couple of years of the 360 were like the golden years. Just about every game on the system was better for the 360 than the PS3 so it was a no brainer. It also meant that I bought Xbox Live Gold for three years (even though I played Live maybe about one game a year). But the OS was snappy and colourful, and I really loved Xbox Live Arcade. Microsoft was showing Nintendo and Sony how to do console gaming.

But then the games stopped coming, we got Fable 2 and then 3, GOW 2 and then 3, Forza 2,3,4 and it was just churning out the same games over and over. Yes I understand that new IPs are developed at the start of the console cycle, but the last few years of the 360 were pretty dire in terms of first party content... there was still quite a lot of third party stuff like Elder Scrolls, COD and AC, but nothing besides Halo or Forza was coming out for the xbox.

Then where I think Xbox really lost its way was the development of Kinect and getting into motion gaming. From the outset, its really not what I the hardcore gamer is interested in. How can you think hardcore gamers want to wave their arms in a game, for a party game yes, but how do you do it for games we enjoy like Halo/ElderScrolls/Skyrim/DMC/COD, it just not possible, yet you somehow tried to sell it like it was the second coming of motion controls. And of course people bought it. That's great if you are looking at it from a business perspective, but im quite sure I won't be buying anything with Kinect attached (unless I see some genuinely innovative software and I'm not just buying on potential).

Of course I also think that Xbox Live is grossly overvalued at $50 a month especially when matched with the Playstation Plus offering. Whether the games are effectively rental, thats not really the point, at least they are giving the gamer something of value for the $50. And that it stretches over their portable console and the previous and next gen console is also a great offering. I purchased a Vita based on Plus alone.

I can go on about how Xbox has taken a great number of missteps in the last few years but before this gets too long and waste your time, I just want to give you my thoughts on how I think Microsoft could win me back as a consumer. Also I don't proclaim to tell you anything you didn't know, I'm sure you are way ahead of the people on Neogaf.

1. Getting a variety of games is important. Not everyone wants to play first person shooters or western fantasty games. What about horror, adventure games, strategy games, platform games, 2D games, horizontal/vertical shooters, fighting games list goes on. Get those third parties involved by lowering the red tape - get an ecosystem sorted out like Apple. I see you have removed some of the red tape over Xbox Live Arcade for indie developers and that's great, but lower the bar even more to ensure there's a great variety of games on the system.

2. Make or obtain games for hardcore gamers like Street Fighter or Dark Souls. No I'm not talking about Killer Instinct. I can count on one hand the number of good fighting games created by Western developers. It the hardcore games that create forum posts and feedback and chat and hence free PR for games.

3. If you're going to do TV, make it so its not just about switching back and forth between channels. Give me something compelling that I've never seen before, not just stats for an NFL game, thats cool but that's not really pushing the boundaries, thats a nice to have.

4. Stop promoting Skype on xbox... i can do skype on my smart TV or on the computer. It's just not what this gamer wants to see.

5. Kinect - already said my piece about Kinect but something else I want to say - if it really is just for interactive ads, i will be very disappointed.

6. Xbox Live - if you're going to charge for it, you better add some games to the service. Otherwise it would be a good move to stop charging for it, but Im sure you are enjoying the revenue too much to do otherwise. Surely it can't be too hard to offer some Xbox Live Arcade games for free on Xbox Live or heavily discounted.

7. Your DRM plan was massively flawed, not only in its execution but also in its messaging. To the average gamer, it was Steam, but the weird rules made it sound like Microsoft were scamming them. The family sharing plan seemed bizarre and counter intuitive, but then when Microsoft hit the panic button, suddenly the family sharing plan was the saviour.

All you had to do with your DRM console was say its like Steam and then consumers would have thought, 'ok I like Steam its not that bad, but you first had Adam Orth rile up all the hardcore gamers, and then you hit the panic button and your messaging was horrible.' Coupled with Sony mocking you openly in press conferences to loud ovations, it was a fucking disaster. Hate to be blunt and tell you what you know, but it was cringeworthy.

Obviously you are moving on from that and there's no point crying over spilt milk.

So to summarise, bring back the glory of the first few years of the 360 (without the RROD), compelling new software for hardcore gamers over a range of genres, fun small titles on xbox live arcade, forget about kinect cause its a deadend and put hardcore gamers first.

PS my apologies if I seem harsh.

T.O.P

Banned
*smirks*

you really think I like microsoft?

Have no shame or fear in saying I don't like and will NEVER support a company that treats it's consumers like the most idiotic cattle out there.

i was actually saying the total opposite but okay?

don't talk about of balancing things out when you just want to shit on something wich is what people called out others for

@sorry doublepost

Alienous

How do they negate that PS4 is gamer focused? Every one of those devices has its own focus. What does one device focus on have nothing to do with the other devices.

I suppose what I meant is that "It negates the idea that Sony's attention, on their gaming side, is focused on gamers".

Every single tv/movie option on the PS Vita TV can be done with the PS4. There's really no splitting anything.

It's pretty much like the rumored Xbox model with no slot drive and a focus on multimedia that ended up getting cut.

Yeah, you're right, I forgot about that Xbox model. But, again, it emphasizes the focus on a single product. It's just an angle that I never really considered in this 'console war'.

Major Nelson

Neo Member
Now that I've had my coffee and a few minutes to do more reading on the Sony news-allow me to amend my comment: They're doing some interesting stuff with the Vita. I am curious where they'll go with this in terms of experiences.

SHADES

the only possible answer is ditch kinect and launch a 349 dollar/euro xbox one.

I think that's the obvious one that everyone wants, but I'm consigned to that not happening & even if it did I think it's too much of a 180.

I was thinking along the lines of 6/12months of XBL thrown in or maybe an extra controller etc not this " hey if you've already pre ordered in certain countries you might get a free FIFA download code" to me there was too many variables surrounding that offer to make it appealing.

Now that I've had my coffee and a few minutes to do more reading on the Sony news-allow me to amend my comment: They're doing some interesting stuff with the Vita. I am curious where they'll go with this in terms of experiences.

Major:

As a PR rep for Microsoft do you ever get tired of having to do the PR speak? You're much more likable, endearing even when you speak from the heart with honesty as you have done here the last 24 hours. I've been quite the critic of yours over the last five months or so but I applaud your efforts so far on GAF.

Copenap

Exactly, but Sony are dividing their focus. "We'll support TV here, and handheld gaming here, and PS4 here" whereas Xbox are in a position where they can say "We've got the Xbox One, and we can support Microsoft devices with Xbox properties. Our focus is in this one, all-encompassing device".

I understand what you are saying with options, but if you divide your customer base enough it's going to be difficult to support any one area. 'PSVita TV owners, PS4 owners, PS4 owners with PS Eye cameras, PS Vita owners' whereas the Xbox division has their focus squarely on 'Xbox One owners' in the coming future. It's just different ways of doing things, but I just thought it was interesting that the PS4 gets billed as more gamer focused, which I suppose is true, but these other devices sort of negate that.
I see, that's what you meant. You have a point, I do think however that handheld and home console gaming should be seen as two individual sectors and I would say the Vita TV is then a logical way to connect these two.

Anyways, there are other threads for this discussion:)

Peeete

I don't know I'm no native English speaker either but I believe when people say 'ok then' they don't just mean to say 'ok'. They mean to make something look stupid. That's different from saying 'I don't like it', which I wouldn't have thought would be arrogant.

It kind of reminds me the comment after the PS4 reveal. 'revealing a console without showing it? That's one approach'. He also didn't just mean to say it's an approach, he meant to say it's stupid. Not sure if this was Major Nelson though, it's just another example what I mean by arrogant.

Raiden

Banned
Hey Major if you care to answer this. What did you tink of Conan O'brien when you met him at E3? Did they say what he was going to do and be like before the interview? Or did he just come in not scripted at all.

It was pretty funny though.

Orca

I suppose what I meant is that "It negates the idea that Sony's attention, on their gaming side, is focused on gamers".

Like chubigan said though, all those options are on the PS4...so saying it's entirely 'game focused' is a bit disingenuous. It's going to be an all in one platform for games, TV, movies, and music - just like the Xbox One, the PS3, the Xbox 360, etc...

I'm pretty sure they won't pull a 180 on what they announced...

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Alright, I'll throw a question into the mix:

When will we get a full rundown on what providers and what level of compatibility we'll get with regards to the TV passthru on Xbox one (Canada too, please.)?

Also, will Xbox one have to be ON at all times to watch my Satellite box through it? Seems like an unnecessary extra power drain if I don't necessarily want/need Kinect on 24/7...

Also, welcome Larry :)

I think it's stupid and I have no idea why anyone would want that.

But I do want Deep Down.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Question for Major Nelson:

Is the power button on the Xbox One easy to accidentally press? It looks like it'll be similar to the open tray button on the 360 where merely brushing against it will open the tray.

What do you think of this?

zowryhb.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looking forward to more of this insightful analysis.

"Interesting stuff..."

"Experiences..."

Jesus Christ. Stop with this shite. It's going to get annoying as fuck if folks are going to pick and pull every single thing he says apart.

mekes

Welcome to the site Larry.

I've seen Titanfall but I'm not a fan of FPS games. Based on that, what other X1 game would you ask me if I've seen?

Can I just say I loved you in the unboxing Xbox One video. You made it sound really seductive. Also I hope that Voodoo Vince avatar is a hint for something...

Major Nelson

Neo Member

Is the power button on the Xbox One easy to accidentally press? It looks like it'll be similar to the open tray button on the 360 where merely brushing against it will open the tray.
The sensitivity of the button is still being tweaked, the console I have is not final so I can't say for certain yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do things like this add anything? Its not even funny.

If this thread can be a praise fest then it can also serve as a mechanism for criticisms. As I said earlier, the fence will swing both ways. At this point, the welcoming part of the thread has served its purpose.

ascii42

Heh, yeah. My cat frequently opened the disc drive to my roommate's 360 while he was playing it.

jbug617

Banned
Major Nelson any plans for TGS? Seems like Xbox One is not getting a lot of support of Japanese games that might come over to the US for PS4.

If this thread can be a praise fest then it can also serve as a mechanism for criticisms. As I said earlier, the fence will swing both ways. At this point, the welcoming part of the thread has served its purpose.

I completely agree! That post wasn't criticism though, it was stupid and unnecessary.

fantomena

To Major Nelson:

Why not just let free/Silver members see ads and when you have Gold, the ads are being removed? And why put apps like Netflix behind the paywall?

Z_Y

What do you think of this?

zowryhb.gif

I used to look forward to the day that those in my generation who grew up with games would mature and the hobby would not looked down upon as a "kid" thing.

Then I realized that the bottom age of this audience segment is going to be a static number.

Sadness ever since.

Ephemeris

Welcome Major.

I think I've met him a couple times at some launches in NYC (halo 3 being the most memorable). Oh, right outside of E3 as I was just about to head in too lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom