• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favourite memories of Satoru Iwata?

Jaruru

Will be the introduction of Wii controller (Wiimote) for me
Single handed, swinging around with maximum freedom to play games. It was stunning

Neiteio

At the request and suggestion of Neiteio, I'm going to copy/paste something from one of our PMs.

I've had a lifelong relationship with Nintendo. For the first fifteen years of my life they were, very strictly, the only games I played. My parents hated video games and discouraged my indulgence. They felt it came at the expense of "healthier" pursuits. So my gaming became something I did, to use your word, sheepishly. I didn't like to play with other people, or let my parents know I was playing. Many a time I would quickly pause my games, turn off my TV, and pretend to be doing something else when any kind of spectator drew near.

Playing video games was very stressful, and difficult, but my passion and interest remained. Because video games made me so happy. Even if I had to squint in the dark to see my Pokémon on my muted Game Boy, my connection with Nintendo was inseverable and defining,

As I got older it became harder to feel that same joy. My appetite changed. I wanted to play different games. And I did. But Nintendo's influence on me remained, as did my soft spot for their properties, which is why Super Smash Bros is... crucially important to me. It's a special place to be with old friends.

Iwata both was and wasn't Nintendo. More than anything, he seemed to know what Nintendo was. It was the company that brought me all that joy as a child. It was the company that made me imagine and explore and discover my own sense of individual creativity. Nintendo was the color on the pages of my youth.

And even if I eventually outgrew that, somewhat, Iwata was watching the company and making sure it never lost sight of its one goal: bringing people like me happiness.

I'm still struggling a great deal to communicate what I'm feeling. The words feel far away from me. If you had asked me yesterday what I thought of Iwata I would have said I liked him. I would have said I thought he was unwaveringly earnest and I respected that.

It's been, like, two hours. But if you asked me now, I would struggle to express how much I miss him.

I've said a lot of nothing here. I'm hammering this out on my iPhone, which is not conducive to fluid expression.

Iwata was an icon of everything I grew up with. His passing is like a family member I stopped calling and now I regret the time we've lost.

This all just feel so weird. You don't know what you got, you know?
I'm glad you decided to share. Incredibly beautiful. I'm sure many people here have been similarly affected, but you captured that feeling so perfectly.

L Thammy

There are a ton I could bring up. If I remember correctly, there was one was when he was working with Shigesato Itoi on Mother. Itoi's quote:

"When we were working on games called MOTHER, I decided who I wanted to team up with because one person had said, 'Programmers aren’t allowed to say ‘no’.' Basically, that programmers can’t say, 'We can’t do that,' to any ideas we would come up with. After hearing this from one of the programmers – who happens to be the president of Nintendo now – I said, 'Oh?! I can just tell you to do whatever I want?” To which he responded, 'Of course. That IS your job, after all, Mr. Itoi.' He told me, 'Only at the very end, as a last resort, should one say, ‘We can’t do that.’ Having him say that made everything so much easier on me."

botty

Banned
Giving Sakurai a lot of creative freedom and time to develop some of Nintendo's most successful and acclaimed games.

Really great guy.

Griss

You want a Revolution?

Well, we've got one.

BaUteqD.jpg

The GDC Speech is more emotional and captures his legacy better, but for a sheer moment this is the one right here. It was so spectacular, and I remember thinking
"You can't call a product the 'revolution', because it could never live up to the name." I specifically remember thinking that as I sat there in a cold room in Ireland just after my Grandmother had passed.

Well, Iwata. I was wrong. You did it.

kunonabi

Truly this. The Wii really was the thing that got me back into console gaming.

I was drifting away from gaming myself and it was the Wii launch with Wii Sports/Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy that reignited my passion for video games. It's my favorite Nintendo console and I'm so happy that Iwata and Nintendo were willing to take a risk and go in such a different direction with it. Iwata has always sort of mirrored my views on games and in an industry that has moved in a direction I have no real wish to follow it was always comforting to see Iwata battle for the ideals that I've always supported.

emb

The thing that impacted me most was probably his contribution to Melee. I'm sure it's been posted here already, and I probably have some details wrong. The way I understood it, he basically came into the project in the later stages and put in a ton of work to make it through crunch time, and keep everything on schedule. On one level, that's inspiring to me as a programmer. That kind of excellence, work ethic, and commitment is exemplary.

On another level, Melee has been a huge part of my life. I was so hyped for it when it came out, it was the sequel to my dream game. I bought it before I could get a Cube (because that was a Christmas present). It stayed a go to for weekend get togethers/sleep overs throughout my early adolescence. In high school, it started to mold my social life; I started hanging out with friends BECAUSE they liked that game. In college, and all those years up to now, I've been going to tournaments. Friends from the local Smash scene are almost like an extended family.

Never mind all the great Directs and Iwata Asks. I always loved at E3 and later in the Directs, when Iwata would start a speech. His accent was so endearing, and the Direct gesture was amazing. He went beyond a businessman at a press conference, all the way to becoming a character in his own right.

Falcs

Banned
WTF??? I just clicked this thread and got confused why people were talking about him in past tense.. then I went back to the OT and saw the "Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away" thread.

:(

Converse

Banned
I have very many fond memories of Satoru Iwata, though I was never lucky enough to meet him. It's too difficult to choose just one, though I particularly loved hearing stories of his early days with HAL and his contributions to the Mother series. Every Iwata Asks made me feel warm -- just to know that the leader of such a large company took the time out to insightfully discuss the creative process was a comforting thought. In general, I will remember Iwata as a man who valued creativity over corporatism, and I pray that Nintendo will continue to honor that philosophy.

Because it'll be more beautiful than anything else I could share, I will share Shigesato Itoi's brief writings about Mr. Iwata upon the announcement of his death. These come from Mr. Itoi's Twitter, translated by Cheesemeister.

Shigesato Itoi said:
Extinguish all the lamps in the world
Make a pitch-black night
With that powerlessness
Can you please just do that for me?

Mr. Itoi went on to say, "What I said about extinguishing lamps was in regards to the very bright Saturday. Now, I think that Iwata-san would say, 'Don't make it dark, but live and enjoy today to its fullest.' Of course, I will do so."

emb

A couple of old Iwata pictures I had saved from GAF years ago:

ZWd61uA.jpg

uM2GrUd.png

The first one in particular, seems like it used to come up every year around E3, and I would always hope for it to come true. The later plays off of the bomb idea, and it probably struck me enough to save just since I love Zelda.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A couple of old Iwata pictures I had saved from GAF years ago:

ZWd61uA.jpg

uM2GrUd.png

The first one in particular, seems like it used to come up every year around E3, and I would always hope for it to come true. The later plays off of the bomb idea, and it probably struck me enough to save just since I love Zelda.

Oh man.. Just thinking of "Iwata Drop the Bomb" memes is bringing Interstellar style grin/tears to my face.

Mariolee

I think my favorite memory is actually when GAF banded together to make a card for him when he was in the hospital initially.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Nintendo E3 press conferences last decade always stuck out for me, especially the ones where we were first introduced to Reggie and the Wii/Revolution.

His GDC keynote where he warned about the devaluing of gaming.

Pretty prophetic.

People thought he was just being a greedy CEO due to those points.

I remember the reception wasn't great on GAF, but if Japan just goes down to F2P hell, that's a huge loss for gaming.

Could you link to that? I'd love to see/hear it.

Forkball

I can't find the video (maybe some E3), but one of my favorite quotes from him is talking about how Kirby changed from pink to white when Dream Land came to America. "They thought I wouldn't notice, but I did." I always found that amusing.

He was a great spokesman for the company, but of course his true legacy is behind the scenes. From his programming wizardry to his contributions that led to Nintendo being dominant in the Wii/DS era, it's incredible to think of how many games he oversaw in his tenure with Nintendo. I still remember when I first read that he would be Nintendo's new president. I was legitimately excited. HAL's president is now president of Nintendo? HAL WHICH BROUGHT US SMASH BROS? YES. There were a lot of controversial decisions during his run, but we are all going to remember him for how he influenced and brought happiness to us all.

When he said in the link between worlds iwata asks that the 1000 second cucco minigame was the ultimate challenge and i beat it after 2 hours of trying
Thx iwata

I can't find the video (maybe some E3), but one of my favorite quotes from him is talking about how Kirby changed from pink to white when Dream Land came to America. "They thought I wouldn't notice, but I did." I always found that amusing.

Fun note: Iwata insisted on the "This is how you draw Kirby" thing in Kirby's Adventure. He wanted kids to be able to start drawing characters and then move on to designing their own characters.

If you look at the famous picture

CJwK9qsVAAIZVFU.jpg:large

And then think about the instructions

First you draw a circle.
And then you dot the eyes.
Add a great big smile.
And presto, it's Kirby!

You realize that was exactly how he learned to draw him. Badly, but still.

Codeblue

Honestly, I think "Iwata Asks" will stand as my favorite part of his legacy. Nintendo is not known for transparency. That the president of the company would take time and talk about the fascinating development process for games that would turn out to be some of my all time favorites was nothing short of incredible and I'm really thankful for that initiative.

Also, damn did I love Balloon Trip.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He made Earthbound work.
He ported the Battle system of Pokemon Stadium to the N64 with no documents to help him whatsoever.
He compressed the code of Pokemon Gold and Silver enough so that GameFreak could now include Kanto.
He debugged Super Smash Bros. Melee by himself so it could release on time for the launch of the GameCube.

"On my business card, I'm a corporate president. In my mind, I'm a game developer. But in my heart, I'm a gamer."
"You want a Revolution. Well, we got one." *Pulls out Nintendo's next home system out of his goddamn pocket."
"Who's your daddy?"

Ive been crying on and off since finding out, and now im crying again at this post, god fucking dammit!

KRaZyAmmo

I think my favorite Iwata moment has to be the Nintendo direct (at e3?) where he battles Reggie doing the ORAORAORAORAORAORA!

The Nintendo directs, Iwata always made it seem like he was actuall there with us and giving everyone the information they wanted. He left such a great legacy.

Top Bottom