• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a possible Microsoft answer to Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild?

Sydle

But that's a damn shame if true. Playground has proven itself i'd say by now, time for MS to take a risk now. Ah well.

Playground has proven they can deliver high quality games on a tight schedule consistently. They seem to be exactly the kind of partner MS would take a risk with.

dreamfall

Well, it's a very good question. We don't really have any news on big titles, and meanwhile the impressive catalog of Japanese games keeps growing on the PS4 alongside Horizon while Nintendo arguably has one of the best open world titles ever created.

I think they're betting on Red Dead Redemption 3 being played at the highest quality on the Scorpio (before it releases on PC). But I also think Sony got the marketing deal, so it's a bit problematic. Maybe Crackdown 3?

Damn - give us anything.

Wedzi

Banned
Its been the same for years.

Xbox has the best exclusive racing and shooter franchise.

Playstation and Nintendo has everything else

I think that's part of the problem. Last generation shooters were definitely skewed towards the 360 with Halo and Gears being huge staples. But now there's way more competition with Destiny, Titanfall 2, Overwatch, Doom, R6 Siege, and of course Call of Duty. There's plenty of shooter to go around on PlayStation these days. Then add in the declining success of racing games and Microsoft's bet on shooters and racers has seemingly faded from a lot of gamers minds.

I saw some extended demos played by Kamiya himself. It looked very interesting to me. It didn't pan out but I had a lot of faith during development. I'm still positive that, given the time to make it as they wanted, it would have been special.

The game was in development for 3+ years before getting canned though. Seems more likely to have been a troubled development process that had spiraled out of control.

IMO it was Sunset Overdrive. That game was fantastic in many ways and featured a sense of verticality that was pretty close to the one that BOTW is rightfully being lauded for.

That is pretty damning... :/

By the way I am also not sure Scalebound would have been the hit/system seller that many believe it was/could've been. If Microsoft had faith in the game they would've seen the development through, even through rougher times.

It is, but I think there's little room for arguing against the fact that MS dropped the ball when it comes to in-house developed games - especially when considering the genre variety the PS4 has been getting.

I think a full-blown Fable successor and a more polished ReCore could have really filled some of the more severe gaps.

KORNdoggy

This thread defines the current psychology of the Xbox division: play catch up. Match the competition. Repeat what Sony tried did last generation or even 2 generations ago. All miserable failures of strategizing.

It's sad and such a far cry from the launch hype of the OG Xbox. That was something to envy.

The current Xbox is not. Fixing that is not a simple solution, and it's not going to take place because of Sea of Thieves and Cuphead releasing one year. This problem of Xbox resting on their laurels started mid-gen with Xbox 360. It's going to take equally as long, and a hell of a lot more work, to reverse that.

I think that is missing from what people understand here, is how far behind they really are right now.

this is also true. look at what sony had to do to claw back some good will for the PS3. they introduced the PS+ program of "free" games every month. they doubled down on their exclusive output to lure in more consumers. the had to make deep discounts to the consoles ridiculous launch price and they already had a free online system. they gave people reasons to want a PS3. MS is in a similar position now. only they both offer the "free" game incentive, they now both charge for online play, they both cost about the same...MS need to really push for exclusives like sony did last gen. and in the case of scorpio, need to be cheap enough that price doesn't factor in the way the PS3's was extortionate.

sam777

Regardless of which was better, the success of UC4 dwarfs RoTR. RoTR did near nothing to boost the appeal of Xbone while UC4 is a major selling point for PS4.

True. MS needs to create more single player driven IP but from what Shinobi has said before it does not look like they are going to.

leeh

Is this a strawman? I've never used the term before, but I think this is a strawman. Of course Scalebound was not highly-acclaimed, because a product that has not been played by the press or the public cannot be acclaimed. Again, Kamiya is one of the most successful and consistent Japanese directors ever, and despite its couple of weak showings the assumption is that he would have delivered a good game.
You used the term in your previous post, as-in, they cancelled a highly-acclaimed game.

It didn't look like the game would of competed with Horizon/Zelda at all. Those are god-tier titles.

I was not trying to get into a list war of this exclusive on x plaform beats or kills this other one on the other. If you found Forza Horizon great, that's great.

My point was more broad as in I don't think Microsoft has a software answer to the quality and quantity of first party exclusives Sony and Nintendo have and will put out there. That is regardless of my (or your) personal taste, trying to look at it from an objective perspective, what impact this software will have sales wise and in terms of brand perception. And I think in these terms Microsoft has very very little.

As someone who only has a Xbox One this gen, this is true and anyone who says otherwise need to take their fanboy glasses off.

That being said, Forza Horizon 3 does own and the only reason why I got the Xbox One in the first place (aside from Sony/PD taking too damn long with Gran Turismo).

Wedzi

Banned
True. MS needs to create more single player driven IP but from what Shinobi has said before it does not look like they are going to.

It's why we probably need to start focusing on what potential 2nd party relationships Microsoft either has or can foster rather than looking inward. Because if MS is going to fund a new single player driven IP (old or new) it's not coming from an existing first party.

It's why we probably need to start focusing on what potential 2nd party relationships Microsoft either has or can foster rather than looking inward.

That isn't the point though. That's like your parents clothing and feeding you when you're a 30 year old adult. At some point you gotta get out there and do shit on your own.

modsbox

This crackdown 3 video is pretty cool. Sure this is why its going to be a Scorpio release
https://youtu.be/EWANLy9TjRc

Wow, I had a way different reaction to that video. They call it 'gameplay' but it's really the protagonist shooting at a building for 15 minutes with a few non-reactive enemies walking around.

The fact that we haven't seen any footage of the game since then is really concerning. I'm hoping it's so they can blow us out of the water at E3 and convince us to buy a Scorpio, but seriously they've been completely dark on this title for 18 months now.

For something that essentially has to ship in November it's hard not to be worried. Perhaps it's Phil learning that they teased a bunch of titles way too early in the past so they're keeping a lid on it.

All I know is I want Crackdown 3 to be awesome. 2 was such a letdown after 1 which was darn near my favorite 360 title. Played it to death in spite of its flaws because it was just so much fun.

Rodelero

Unlike pro where it was basically the same set up as the other consoles but more gpu power, Scorpio has an incredibly substantial memory bandwidth that will allow more gpu processes be sent. Also having 4GB of more ram changes a lot. From objects rendered in a scene, physics, level of detail, ultra high res textures, post processing effects it does a lot. Games on pro are basically PS4 games in high res. Scorpio will actually be capable of ultra high assets seen in pc games that makes a difference. Battlefield 1 on pc is a leap over pro with way more tesselation, higher res textures, etc

If you genuinely believe that the gap between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro is subtle enough to mean that games on the Pro are merely 'PS4 games in high res', but the gap between the PS4 Pro and Scorpio is so enormous to mean that it will match up to high end contemporary PC games, I feel sorry for you. Mark my words, the differences will be subtle and iterative, because that's all the specs will allow for especially when you remember that games developed for Scorpio will necessarily be built for feature parity with the Xbox One. Expecting a larger gap than exists between the PS4 and the Xbox One is naive. If you consider that to be a chasm, then fine, but I think most people know it's a fairly subtle difference in most games. The most likely thing is for Scorpio's power to be used to push 4K, verse the Pro utilising tricks like checkerboard rendering to hit that resolution. This isn't just going to be a subtle difference, it's going to be a difference most people don't even have the right screens to see.

Either way, Microsoft should not be planning on countering actual games with hardware.

Phil, just greenlight and fund a single player, all out Fable. That's it. It's a lay up.

Tease it far out. Have regularly updated Dev diaries so we have a constant slow burn of excitement for its release. Concept Art, etc.

Hire back some of the old Lionhead's staff and bring them on board.

I'll buy back into Xbox again and other people will.

Edit: Don't make it F2P, MMO lite, PVP MT gold mine. Just make it a balls out, high production value Fable with some Cooperative elements. Boom. I am in.

Markoman

Expect the difference this time is about a whole Playstation 4s worth so there's that.

??? What are you trying to say here? In 2013 the difference between X1 and PS4 was 2 PS3 ducktaped together. Didn't stop 26-27m people from buying the system until now.

rbenchley

Did people think Scalebound looked that good.

Scalebound may have looked rough, but it was pretty high anticipated for two big reasons:

1. Scarcity of RPG/action adventure games on the Xbox One. Microsoft seems to have put all of their eggs into the Halo/Gears/Forza basket, so gamers were really looking forward to a big platform exclusive outside one of those franchises (especially considering how multi-platform games have consistently looked and played better on the PS4).

2. Pedigree. Kamiya was the director for a lot of really well-regarded games: Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Okami, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, and Viewtiful Joe.

It's not a tragedy that Scalebound fell apart, but it is a bit of a bummer. The only reason I bought my Xbox One S was because Sony dropped the ball on Ultra BluRay support for the PS4 Pro. I played a little bit of Battlefield and Fallout 4 as they came with the console, but I haven't purchased any games made specifically for the platform. Backwards compatibility is neat, but mostly the console is just the there so I can enjoy my copies of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and John Wick in glorious 4K.

That isn't the point though. That's like your parents clothing and feeding you when you're a 30 year old adult. At some point you gotta get out there and do shit on your own.

Different business viewpoints and strategies. Nothing to do with beinga teenager and having to do your own shit, lol.

I have said it before but MS needs to start rebuilding there IP strength .
They have not made a big new IP in a good while and there old ones are dying .
HZD a new IP will most likely out sell all there games but halo went all said and done WW.

Different business viewpoints and strategies. Nothing to do with beinga teenager and having to do your own shit, lol.

They're relying on 2nd/3rd parties to bring new and exciting things to the console rather than letting 1st parties take a shot at it.

They need to let 1st parties make new stuff.

this is also true. look at what sony had to do to claw back some good will for the PS3. they introduced the PS+ program of "free" games every month. they doubled down on their exclusive output to lure in more consumers. the had to make deep discounts to the consoles ridiculous launch price and they already had a free online system. they gave people reasons to want a PS3. MS is in a similar position now. only they both offer the "free" game incentive, they now both charge for online play, they both cost about the same...MS need to really push for exclusives like sony did last gen. and in the case of scorpio, need to be cheap enough that price doesn't factor in the way the PS3's was extortionate.
MS is pushing services like Game Pass and EA Access. Overall, MS is making a more consumer friendly ecosystem than Sony with the aforementioned services, a stronger value proposition with GwG, play anywhere, backwards compatibility; and Scorpio seems to just reinforce that service based approach.

They still need to invest more in games but not necesarilly repeat what Sony did last gen throwing everything to see what stick.

spannicus

When will ppl stop saying like Scorpio is a new console

" Going to be a Scorpio release"...

No duh!! It's going to be on xbone too and all games on xbone can be played on Scorpio (& vice versa) ..
Who the fuck said scorpio is a new console? I said releasing when scorpio does. Crackdown 3 will release when Scorpio does. Nowhere did i say it was a new console or did i say it will be exclusive to scorpio.
Fuck outta here. You dont have to explain to me, im well versed in how all this shit plays out.

Shiggy

Looks like we have the answer:

screenshot2017-03-22albu00.png

Wedzi

Banned

I'm just trying to be realistic here lol We can talk about how MS needs better first party studios all god damn day till E3 when it'll become even more obvious they just don't give a fuck, it's not gonna happen. The only chance MS has to make a quality single player or story driven game is through somebody else. Shame the Obsidian deal fell through.

Sydle

Wow, I had a way different reaction to that video. They call it 'gameplay' but it's really the protagonist shooting at a building for 15 minutes with a few non-reactive enemies walking around.

The fact that we haven't seen any footage of the game since then is really concerning. I'm hoping its so they can blow us out of the water at E3 and convince us to buy a Scorpio, but seriously they've been completely dark on this title for 18 months now.

For something that essentially has to ship in November it's hard not to be worried. Perhaps its Phil learning that they teased a bunch of titles way too early in the past so they're keeping a lid on it.

All I know is I want Crackdown 3 to be awesome. 2 was such a letdown after 1 which was darn near my favorite 360 title. Played it to death in spite of its flaws because it was just so much fun.

That was the MP mode, all characters on screen were player controlled, and they were specifically showing off the destruction capabilities and explaining how the player world is affected (e.g., you can create your own doorways or line of sight anywhere, bring down entire buildings, hit gaslines to increase damage, etc).

Scalebound may have looked rough, but it was pretty high anticipated for two big reasons:

1. Scarcity of RPG/action adventure games on the Xbox One. Microsoft seems to have put all of their eggs into the Halo/Gears/Forza basket, so gamers were really looking forward to a big platform exclusive outside one of those franchises (especially considering how multi-platform games have consistently looked and played better on the PS4).

2. Pedigree. Kamiya was the director for a lot of really well-regarded games: Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Okami, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, and Viewtiful Joe.

It's not a tragedy that Scalebound fell apart, but it is a bit of a bummer. The only reason I bought my Xbox One S was because Sony dropped the ball on Ultra BluRay support for the PS4 Pro. I played a little bit of Battlefield and Fallout 4 as they came with the console, but I haven't purchased any games made specifically for the platform. Backwards compatibility is neat, but mostly the console is just the there so I can enjoy my copies of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and John Wick in glorious 4K.

Highly anticipated by who? The threads here before it was cancelled were lucky to get a handful of pages and there was very little buzz socially.

spannicus

That was the MP mode, all characters on screen were player controlled, and they were specifically showing off the destruction capabilities and explaining how the player world is affected (e.g., you can create your own doorways or line of sight anywhere, bring down entire buildings, hit gaslines to increase damage, etc).
Still impressive none the less. Coupled with decent gameplay and story should be an awesome game. What other game is doing this on this level?

Top Bottom