• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a possible Microsoft answer to Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild?

Electret

Practically speaking, I don't think they have such a thing in the pipeline. At least not something that could be considered in the same vein as Horizon and BoTW. I also think the in-house nature of those games benefited them significantly, so I'd be somewhat skeptical a third-party attempt at an answer would reach the same heights. It's possible.

Fable does seem like a franchise that would lend itself to this type of game.

Realistically? I think Sea of Thieves and/or maybe State of Decay 2 is the closest they'll get to an 'answer'. Both project to have that deep, multi-hour, wide appeal other open world games do. In that sense they're comparable. It seems to me that it's story and single-player experience where they won't compare.

First post nails it.

If you're not being sarcastic, please explain beyond a one sentence answer. Because it doesn't. At all.

Ahasverus

They used to have Fable, a good answer to both.

Now? Well, there's another way to give Xbox gamers a similar experience, and that is the Twitch app, to watch Zelda and Horizon.

Hopefully nothing, there are too many open world games out there right now. They should make sure their existing first party titles are up to scratch. Every series except for Forza has seriously dipped since the Xbox 360 days.

Halo seriously needs to get shelved until they can figure out what it is they are doing with it, bought Halo 5 day one only because of the false advertisement campaign. When the next one comes out it has to be damn good.

The biggest issue I have with MS is them throwing money at 2nd party developers who just work the contracts and are not really invested in the success of the platform itself. Stop this factory conveyor belt studio setup and let the first party studios develop new IP.

Scalebinned.

Halo, Gears and Forza

Something with dudes and guns.

First post nails it.

RIP Scalebound

Like clockwork.

ChouGoku

This shit had me dying
17155972_1663298640352630_6388146929784526977_n.jpg

Dramos

Go ham on a new IP... MSFT has been playing things way to same with Gears, Halo, and Forza. In order to come up with something on par to BotW or Horizon, MSFT needs to stop outsourcing their new IPs to third-party developers and instead assign a new project to either 343 or Coalition.

Having said, I think Insomniac is the only 3rd party dev that did a great job with a new IP. Remedy did a pretty good job too but nothing close to a successful AAA title similar to the games mentioned by OP.

13ruce

Banned
Nintendo and Sony are killing it this year with their first party games and third party to a certain extend for nintendo and great for sony.
Even for PC users it is a fantastic year (more Japanese games release on pc now).

Xbox one not so much feels like a third party machine.
This is one of the best gaming years ever and Microsoft seems absent from it.

How has no one mentioned Sea of Thieves? Open world, borderline MMO. Looks gorgeous, has previewed great, probably out this year.

I didn't like it myself, been in the alpha for a bit This is just my view but from what I've played the game feels like it's intentions are for the streaming craze and of course , to up those Live subs, nothing wrong with that, it's business.

Why not give a 343 or Coalition a crack at something?

They never really had an answer to that lined up by the looks of it even before Scalebound was dropped, it was going to be rather different. That said, Zelda and Horizon aren't that similar either, however MS really need to up their game. As someone who racked about 76k gamerscore on the 360 they've given me zero incentive to stay with them. I'm only interested in Sea of Thieves now that Scalebound is dead, and I'll just buy it on PC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dynomutt

Nintendo and Sony and Steam are killing it this year with their first party games.

Xbox one not so much.
This is one of the best gaming years ever and Microsoft seems absent from it.
Steam as in Valve? Did HL3 release and no one mention it?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Why does there need to be an answer?

MadMod

They don't need an open world. Just a new exclusive single player experience. That isn't cancelled or disappoints.

Floody

I think Sea of Thieves is gonna be pretty good and Crackdown 3 sounds like it could be great if it delivers. Neither mightn't be of the same quality as Horizon or BoTW, but both offer something the PS4 and Switch currently don't.

Hopefully nothing because I think after mass effect I'll be burned out on anymore open world games.

Give me something different and pretty.

hatchx

Banned
Sea of Thieves looks like their potential hit for this year. It looks really cool.

I don't think Sony and Nintendo have an answer for Sea of Thieves do they?

I think the OP just phrases it in a competitive console-Wars way rather than simply asking 'does Microsoft have software in the open-world/adventure category?'
And the answer is no.

I didn't like it myself, been in the alpha for a bit This is just my view but from what I've played the game feels like it's intentions are for the streaming craze and of course , to up those Live subs, nothing wrong with that, it's business.

Why not give a 343 or Coalition a crack at something?

Because even dissapointing Halo or GoW games make MS plenty of money via microtransactions and such.

I think more and more, people need to understand Sony, MS, and even Nintendo are aiming toward very different audoences.

spannicus

Yall and this Microsoft drama lol. I hope they knock it out of the park this e3 so all of these whats Microsoft gonna do threads get a break lol

Top Bottom