• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Just ordered the butter fox. The RDS looks good, but it'd be nice to have the space for my external battery.

Just Stating once again, avoid the one I had linked previously. I returned it immediately. Quality just isn't up to the pictures, it's thicker than expected and obviously wont work with the dock.

Quick update on this, as soon as I cut those elastic straps, the fit was much better. I then just put some extra padding in there and stretched it a little. Now everything fits pretty nicely. Not too snug.

Any issues with the triggers being pushed down after cutting the straps?

drotahorror

Ordered the other butterfox case since I'm not big on the smushing of the triggers.

GO9V5yh.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1CRM5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Okada

Got my Butterfox case today and it's perfect.

I can fit the following in the case easily with a bit of room.

Switch Console with Joy-Cons attached.
20 Games
2 Joy-Con Wrist Straps
USB C Cable
Anker PowerCore 20100

jts

...hate me...
I wish I could order the Nintendo Switch official case but it's just completely sold out everywhere I look to here in europe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Butterfox case looks good, except for those weird little feet on the bottom of the case.

jts

...hate me...
I've got an official one and it's not great.

I've read the shortcomings, but I really just want something light, compact, and discrete for daily usage. When I want to pack a bunch of more stuff I'll have a backpack or a suitcase to carry a Pro Controller and whatnot.

Is there any way to get the "Starter Kit" cases by themselves? I really don't need the headphones or the joycon covers so $30 seems kinda meh. Kinda liking the mario icon one if I can't have the Zelda SE case.

Correct me if I am wrong but those are identical in design to the sheikah slate case that comes with BoTW SE but with different art right?

Also I snagged the PDP $15 one on launch just to have something to get by, and it actually is pretty OK for the price, but one thing I was thinking ... what might be a good solution for console + a battery bank? Those Butterfox cases able to hold 30000 mAh batteries?

Totakeke

I feel like an ideal case for me is a compact one that just stores the switch tablet alone, then the joycons separately in a pouch. There's nothing like that yet is there?

I've tried a few and I've got to say the Hori kind of sucks, contrary to popular opinion. Things are loose and rattle around if you don't have enough packed inside to press against the screen (read: bad) and just seems generally over-sized. build quality is decent enough, though.

The official first-party Nintendo one? Generally quite excellent and semi-soft is the way to go for electronics meant to be portable.

An even cheaper and, in my opinion, even better option than the Nintendo one would be a neoprene sleeve. Anybody who has worked with laptop PCs at all in the last decade knows exactly what these are.

The best neoprene sleeve I've been able to find so far is the Cosmos one meant for the AmazonBasics Bluetooth keyboard (currently cleared out by Switch buyers, looks like):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO2AK34/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've got one of those sleeves and it's perfect, if just a hair loose.

japtor

An even cheaper and, in my opinion, even better option than the Nintendo one would be a neoprene sleeve. Anybody who has worked with laptop PCs at all in the last decade knows exactly what these are.

The best neoprene sleeve I've been able to find so far is the Cosmos one meant for the AmazonBasics Bluetooth keyboard (currently cleared out by Switch buyers, looks like):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO2AK34/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've got one of those sleeves and it's perfect, if just a hair loose.
Hah nice. I was looking around the other day for a sleeve but wasn't sure what size to get cause the Switch proportions with joycons attached kinda throws everything thing off vs the usual tablet/laptop. How much can fit in besides the Switch itself? Not a huge deal but it'd be nice to be able to have my second set of joycons in there too.

Edit: looks like there's a decent amount of keyboard carrying cases, I guess the short keyboard ones should all fit decently enough.

Wait, I purchased one. What is the issue ?!

Don't think there is one. I was just watching a video of it on YouTube and it looks like a decent case with cutouts inside for the joycons and the added benefit of no branding on the outside. Think I'm going to order one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So not super related, but what are people using for portable charging/power? I haven't ordered a case because I just realized I'll need something that can help power the system, too. Also, you know, keeping the Joycons on.

Don't think there is one. I was just watching a video of it on YouTube and it looks like a decent case with cutouts inside for the joycons and the added benefit of no branding on the outside. Think I'm going to order one.

It really does look good. I'm tempted to try it over the butterfox because it's all black.

RaidenZR

Just Stating once again, avoid the one I had linked previously. I returned it immediately. Quality just isn't up to the pictures, it's thicker than expected and obviously wont work with the dock.

Quick update on this, as soon as I cut those elastic straps, the fit was much better. I then just put some extra padding in there and stretched it a little. Now everything fits pretty nicely. Not too snug.

I'm interested in this case-- can you show up close exactly what straps or whatever you altered?

Hah nice. I was looking around the other day for a sleeve but wasn't sure what size to get cause the Switch proportions with joycons attached kinda throws everything thing off vs the usual tablet/laptop. How much can fit in besides the Switch itself? Not a huge deal but it'd be nice to be able to have my second set of joycons in there too.

Edit: looks like there's a decent amount of keyboard carrying cases, I guess the short keyboard ones should all fit decently enough.

That specific Cosmos one is interesting as it's actually undersized relative to your usual Apple Magic Keyboard model as the keyboard it's meant for is smaller, plus it's a tight fit on said smaller keyboard. The AmazonBasics case from Cosmos is ~3/4" smaller in both X and Y dimensions than Cosmos' own Apple Keyboard model.

Anybody know of any similarly small neoprene sleeves?

As for what you can get extra in that Cosmos case, there's a mesh pocket on the outside, but eh. If I'm using a sleeve it's usually in a laptop bag where I've got some kind of separate organizer going anyways.

2_372221-2504x1653.jpeg

I bought this case since all the Legend of Zelda cases were sold out. I'm enjoying it so far. looks sleek and feels sturdy so I don't worry about it breaking my switch. I also enjoy the little pouch on top, I use it to carry a cleaning cloth and the wrist strap things for the joy-cons. The only thing I don't like is that I don't have room for the charging cord, but I think a standard usb-c cord will fit in the case pouch, just not the bulky one that came with the system. I highly recommend this case if you're just looking for a simple case that gets the job done.

EDIT: only $20 too.

Great case. Way better than the original Nintendo case which isn't as sturdy as this one. Got the Zelda themed for my son, looks great too.

Mike Golf

Nothing fancy but I got the only one my local GS had when I picked up my pre-order. Very basic, and no pockets for cords or the charger. It does the job, mesh pocket doesn't scratch the screen and it's a snug fit with joycons connected. Will definitely be looking to get a better one in the future, but for $15 it'll do for now.

4ihQGsR.jpg

M3pKbbU.jpg

Mr-Joker

Banned
I brought the Zelda case from Agros.

Honestly it isn't that great as it was a struggle to put the joycon in the case without damaging them or scratching the Switch screen, in the end I decided to use the soft cover that came with the Switch to protect it as I put the joycon in.

Luckily I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not.

BraXzy

The Orzly tempered glass screen protector is supposedly going to turn up tomorrow. Fingers crossed, will leave impressions if it does turn up!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I can't find a good case for switch and the rdp one isn't coming in Stock for over a month in Amazon plus the official one looks shitty as hell. Anything discreet and slim where I can carry the switch and a few games?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Great case. Way better than the original Nintendo case which isn't as sturdy as this one. Got the Zelda themed for my son, looks great too.

This was available at my local Walmart recently. Is it too snug? And can it fit any sort of extra accessories? Or should I look at an alternative for that stuff?

Azriell

I ordered this one for when I have to take the entire thing on the road. This isn't going to happen very often, but we do take a trip every June and I'll be bringing it then. June is close enough that I wanted to go ahead and get the carrying case now. Also, I was burning a bunch of Amazon credit on an SD card, case, and tempered glass, so I figured I would go ahead and get the bag now instead of paying cash for it later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22YAIP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also like that this bag comes with a case. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to replace the case it comes with with a hard case (the reason I keep reading this thread). Even though I'm going to replace the case, I'll be glad to have the case now. I've been taking the Switch out a lot and I'm eager to get a little protection.

This is the case the bag comes with:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
look at all you with your fancy cases, here I am still trying to score switch for myself :(

Azerare

I'm in love with my BOTW special edition sheikah slate case. It has actually amazing build quality. Can hold quite a bit of games and some accessories.

look at all you with your fancy cases, here I am still trying to score switch for myself :(

You will get one. Get a case if you can in the mean time. Accessories are hard to find too it seems. I really wish stores had some cases so I could see them in person.

Nothing fancy but I got the only one my local GS had when I picked up my pre-order. Very basic, and no pockets for cords or the charger. It does the job, mesh pocket doesn't scratch the screen and it's a snug fit with joycons connected. Will definitely be looking to get a better one in the future, but for $15 it'll do for now.

4ihQGsR.jpg

M3pKbbU.jpg

Yep this is exactly what I have. Worth every bit of $15 and not a penny more. It does its job.

2_372221-2504x1653.jpeg

I bought this case since all the Legend of Zelda cases were sold out. I'm enjoying it so far. looks sleek and feels sturdy so I don't worry about it breaking my switch. I also enjoy the little pouch on top, I use it to carry a cleaning cloth and the wrist strap things for the joy-cons. The only thing I don't like is that I don't have room for the charging cord, but I think a standard usb-c cord will fit in the case pouch, just not the bulky one that came with the system. I highly recommend this case if you're just looking for a simple case that gets the job done.

EDIT: only $20 too.

I now have 4 cases for the Switch (I must have a problem) and this is the best of the bunch. Happened to find it at Target today and couldn't be happier about it's build quality.

Very sturdy, just perfect, and so nice looking too. Switch doesn't slide around like it does in the Hori tough case, has more protection than the Official Nintendo case (and not that much larger), and yeah no way I would go out in public with the Zelda special edition case. I thought I would be happy with the Nintendo case, but the way the Joycon sticks kind of "push through" the case, yeah no.

And maybe I am being a total geek, and this is just in addition to all the other positives... but best Nintendo Switch logo placement of them all. Full color emblem in the middle, and a Switch logo zipper attachment. Looks like a first party case. And a handle. This should have been the Official Nintendo case.

ryushe

Anyone find or figure out a good (makeshift) carrying/travel case for the Joy-cons themselves?

I carry the Switch with me, but separated; Switch in one pocket and the Joy-cons in another. I put the Switch in one of my old 3DS cases and would love something similar for the Joy-cons so I can just put them into my pocket without worrying about messing up the sticks or anything.

I ordered this one for when I have to take the entire thing on the road. This isn't going to happen very often, but we do take a trip every June and I'll be bringing it then. June is close enough that I wanted to go ahead and get the carrying case now. Also, I was burning a bunch of Amazon credit on an SD card, case, and tempered glass, so I figured I would go ahead and get the bag now instead of paying cash for it later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22YAIP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I also like that this bag comes with a case. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to replace the case it comes with with a hard case (the reason I keep reading this thread). Even though I'm going to replace the case, I'll be glad to have the case now. I've been taking the Switch out a lot and I'm eager to get a little protection.

This is the case the bag comes with:

Just got this one in the mail. I like it a lot. The messenger bag itself is nice quality, better than some of the images made it look online. The Switch case is nice too, it's super minimalist, fitting the Switch like a glove, but has no room for any accessories or games. I think it will be perfect when I want to throw my Switch in a bag while on the go, but I'm debating whether to also get something like the RDS Industries Game Traveler Deluxe Travel Case, which has space for those things.

Anyone find or figure out a good (makeshift) carrying/travel case for the Joy-cons themselves?

I carry the Switch with me, but separated; Switch in one pocket and the Joy-cons in another. I put the Switch in one of my old 3DS cases and would love something similar for the Joy-cons so I can just put them into my pocket without worrying about messing up the sticks or anything.

I went to DollarTree a couple days ago and bought some little Tupperware-like plastic containers to haul around an extra set of Joy-cons. They were 2 for $1, so I've got my 4 Joy-con wrist straps in the second container. Seems like a decent way to carry them around when needed.

meanspartan

I need this. I can barely carry my 3DS out of it's case without having a heart attack, imagine an exposed screen

I agree, but god damn I had two generations of game boys with exposes screens as I kid I took everywhere (and not particularly gently) and today neither one has a single scratch.

I agree, but god damn I had two generations of game boys with exposes screens as I kid I took everywhere (and not particularly gently) and today neither one has a single scratch.

Yeah me too and I honestly think that the 3DS can handle it, but it just seems a lot more flimsy

Got my RDS case and brought my switch in to work today with it.

The build quality is great and it looks nice. I guess I expected it to be more roomy though. I thought I heard of someone putting a power brick in?

I've got my 2 wrist straps in the zippered pouch, but that pouch is so padded that even just with the 2 straps, it seems really bulky. Do I need to make sure I don't overfill that pouch or risk too much pressure pressing on the screen?

Feels like cramming a lot right over the screen in that pouch while empty space above the joycons goes unused.

Top Bottom