• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

I saw some people mention it in here, and on Amazon reviews as well.
Some people are more sensitive than others. Every out of artifical materials produced item will have a funky smell for the first couple days. Just air it out a day or two and enjoy nice protection for a decent price.

RaidenZR

I pulled the trigger on ordering the hard case by Keys Factory from Amazon Japan. I've had KF cases before and they've been pretty good. Plus, it was in stock, so hopefully it ships soon. Wasn't too-too pricey, at $27 after shipping.

Magnus

There a good consensus yet? Definitely need a case. Scared to get anything online because I really need to feel and hold something like that to see if it works for me.

Doorman

Been using the Surge Carry-All case the last few days for bringing my Switch to work (lunch break is just long enough to wolf down some food and then fit in a cup race in Fast RMX). For being a pretty cheap option, the way the system fits into it is really nice, and it includes those small wells on the back-side for the triggers to fit onto meaning the system as a whole is resting flat inside. A few people have mentioned the elastic straps that hold it down--they have a lot of stretch to them and I haven't had any problems in working around them and it helps keep everything where it's supposed to. If anything, the only issue I have with the case now is that the Switch itself rests so comfortably inside that it's actually a little hard to remove it, since there's not a lot of space anywhere to slip a finger around. The only thing I haven't tried checking with it yet is whether the AC adapter fits into the mesh pocket well enough but either way for a "day trip" option I do think it's worth looking into.

Crash331

For what it's worth, I have the Hori case and my coworker has the RDS case. The RDS case is much nicer. I put one on backorder.

NimbusD

Ugh. Yep. My left joycon joystick is sticking to the right ever so slightly and has gotten a lot looser in general since launch. I have a sneaking suspicion it's partially because the hori case doesn't have extra room for the joysticks to not be pressed on when I stuff the case in my jacket pocket each day.

Gonna start looking for a different case that holds the switch in a way that the joycons are completely untouched.

tsumineko

Ugh. Yep. My left joycon joystick is sticking to the right ever so slightly and has gotten a lot looser in general since launch. I have a sneaking suspicion it's partially because the hori case doesn't have extra room for the joysticks to not be pressed on when I stuff the case in my jacket pocket each day.

Gonna start looking for a different case that holds the switch in a way that the joycons are completely untouched.

This is exactly why the official Switch case is junk to me. I bought the RDS case and I'm super happy with it.

jts

...hate me...
Is there a thin soft sleeve for Switch only sans JoyCons?

It was just one of those moments when I chucked my Switch into my jacket pocket and it... fit easily. If I can get it a bit of protection for from keys, coins and others, it's a valid option to transport it that way at least during the winter.

japtor

Is there a thin soft sleeve for Switch only sans JoyCons?

It was just one of those moments when I chucked my Switch into my jacket pocket and it... fit easily. If I can get it a bit of protection for from keys, coins and others, it's a valid option to transport it that way at least during the winter.
If you can't find a Switch one maybe look into something meant for smaller tablets like the 7" Kindle and stuff?

jts

...hate me...
If you can't find a Switch one maybe look into something meant for smaller tablets like the 7" Kindle and stuff?
Yeah, seems very likely I'll find something that suits! Gonna do my research and try to nab something on the cheap :)

Oh btw another cool thing I'd think of getting for the Switch if it exists:

A Pro Controller clip/mount.

RootCause

I love my rds cases. Got the deluxe(Link theme), and the system case for long trips. Very happy with my selection. I still want to get the Blue, and white case (Link tunic) from pdp. Just think it looks amazing.

tebunker

Banned
Sleeve style case.

What do you guys think about something like this as alt case. The smaller one looks like it could hold the tablet part and possibly the joycons separate. All the extra pockets seem good.

It seems like a good solution if you are going to put it in another bag, which I maybbe doing.

If I don't got this route I am going hardcase/tough pouch type of case.

Mbrill82

I bit the bullet and ordered the Waterfield case yesterday. Says it will ship around April 7th.

Now I'm on the hunt for the smallest charger possible so it will also fit the case. But I need a good one that has enough current to charge while I play. Theres one on Amazon from a brand called Pleson I have my eye on. Anyone got any other suggestions?

japtor

Sleeve style case.

What do you guys think about something like this as alt case. The smaller one looks like it could hold the tablet part and possibly the joycons separate. All the extra pockets seem good.

It seems like a good solution if you are going to put it in another bag, which I maybbe doing.

If I don't got this route I am going hardcase/tough pouch type of case.
I think for portable use separate joycons could be a pain in the ass, but for packing and transporting everything it might be alright. Having gotten a sleeve (posted on the last page) I think a big concern is just the thickness (or lack thereof) of laptop cases when you're trying to cram stuff in them. The funky shape of the joycons make things a bit weird.

tebunker

Banned
I think for portable use separate joycons could be a pain in the ass, but for packing and transporting everything it might be alright. Having gotten a sleeve (posted on the last page) I think a big concern is just the thickness (or lack thereof) of laptop cases when you're trying to cram stuff in them. The funky shape of the joycons make things a bit weird.

Yeah thats partially why I am torn. The Butterfox case I am eyeing is built to have joycons off anyway. There is a larger sleeve that could accomodate the system with joycons on but once you get closer to $20 you may as well get a case built for the system. I am more of less trying to decide between a padded sleeve like this for travel or a hardcase. Might go hardcase as a cya.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just received my USB- C cable (6') and Anker Power Supply yesterday. I can squeeze the USB cable in the zippered pouch of the RDS Traveler's case but it's snug. I could stick the Power Adapter in there loosely, but I'm not sure I want to do that. i wish that zippered pouch ran the length of the case.

Flintty

Isn't this supposed to be the same as the other two PDP cases (the plain one and the Mario one)? The plain one has worrisome reviews on Amazon saying it's too tight and the zipper could scratch the Switch. Did you get your Switch yet to test the case?

Finally an update for this. I tried the case for real this week when's i took my Switch away on business. It was a snug fit but this just made it feel safer. I felt like I needed to be really careful putting it in but this was paranoia as I didn't have a screen protector.

Overall I'm really impressed it it; it done the job and looks great. The zipper can't scratch the Switch if you're sensible, the console is in a pouch.

Incidentally I had a parcel waiting when I got back today and it's the Orzly screen protector. I was worried about putting this on, I never use protectors and thought I'd fuck it and it would be terrible. It went in really well and looks and feels natural so there's another recommendation!

Crash331

Can you be more specific? Why is better than the other?

The Hori case is just an empty rectangle that holds the switch and has a cover over the screen that holds 5 cartridges.

The RDS case is actually molded to hold the switch so there is a recessed area for the shoulder buttons so all of the weight doesn't sit on the shoulder buttons. There is also a molded area on the bottom to hold cartridges and possibly wrist straps.The flap the covers the screen is much softer and has more cushion on the RDS and it has a mesh bag with a zipper where it can also hold carts or possibly wrist straps. THe outer shell on the RDS is much stiffer and may actually provide a little crush protection. The hori case would put most of the weight on the switch if anything crushed the case.

Vitacat

The Hori case is just an empty rectangle that holds the switch and has a cover over the screen that holds 5 cartridges.

The RDS case is actually molded to hold the switch so there is a recessed area for the shoulder buttons so all of the weight doesn't sit on the shoulder buttons. There is also a molded area on the bottom to hold cartridges and possibly wrist straps.The flap the covers the screen is much softer and has more cushion on the RDS and it has a mesh bag with a zipper where it can also hold carts or possibly wrist straps. THe outer shell on the RDS is much stiffer and may actually provide a little crush protection. The hori case would put most of the weight on the switch if anything crushed the case.

I can vouch for the above info. I've seen both cases IRL, and bought the RDS. It's muuuuuch better in every way. The Hori is thinner, if that's important to you, but I wouldn't trust it to protect the Switch.

LiK

I can vouch for the above info. I've seen both cases IRL, and bought the RDS. It's muuuuuch better in every way. The Hori is thinner, if that's important to you, but I wouldn't trust it to protect the Switch.

Sold. Gonna cancel Hori and pick up a RDS instead.

tebunker

Banned
Hermitshell case that is coming. I am a little leery bc this company has a history of fake reviews. So I checked put several other products they make and they have some decenr verified purchases.

Seems like they have an issue with their fab that causes the mfg chemical smells to linger longer than is good, but make an overall solid build.

For the price the product looks great. Can store almost everything you want. So I am tempted.

But then I see that rds case everyone is crooning over that i cant find in stock and the butterfox case that'll be in stock and now I have analysis paralysis and I am going to take a break for a bit and make a decision closer to when I actually need to travel with the system.

Butterfox seems to be my go to choice right now as you can get a battery bank and switch both to fit in a hard case that isnt huge.

Id really like to see some real pics instead of promo shots.

My PDP case looks cool but i really worry about the thing being squeezed too tight and damaging the analog sticks.

March 23rd restock.

jacksrb

I feel like the consensus is the RDS case.

And, owning one myself, I don't see how it can get better.

This is what I ended up with and really like it. Not tight on triggers/bumpers, screen is protected, lots of room for the joy sticks.

Not much room for anything else than the joy con straps and ear buds, but the case is really solid and the game case hidey spot is really smart (even though I am going all digital). Smelled funky in the store but I haven't noticed it since then.

Also, great user review/article over at NWR if you are interested.

bobawesome

For $25 this hybrid cover feels extremely cheap. I've read all the impressions and still wanted to get it just for that back protection but ugh.

The molded area at the bottom isn't wide enough or deep enough to hold the wrist straps so I have my wrist straps in the mesh bag. They fit nicely without any issue. My only gripe is the molded sections that hold the cartridge cases don't have a small elastic band to hold them in place when pulling the switch out of the case. I had one fall out in my car which wasn't a big deal but since the cases can potentially hold $240 worth of games I would prefer they be secured in some manner.

The molded area at the bottom isn't wide enough or deep enough to hold the wrist straps so I have my wrist straps in the mesh bag. They fit nicely without any issue. My only gripe is the molded sections that hold the cartridge cases don't have a small elastic band to hold them in place when pulling the switch out of the case. I had one fall out in my car which wasn't a big deal but since the cases can potentially hold $240 worth of games I would prefer they be secured in some manner.

This.
I have it and really like it, but I don't understand the area at the bottom that can't quite fit a wrist strap.
And wish the cart cases were held in place. I may just leave the cart cases at home until i have multiple physical games.

Crash331

This.
I have it and really like it, but I don't understand the area at the bottom that can't quite fit a wrist strap.
And wish the cart cases were held in place. I may just leave the cart cases at home until i have multiple physical games.

I wonder if a small piece of velcro stuck to the case and the cart holder would solve the issue.

Voror

Have the Hori Hard Case which is nice, though I'm very tempted to upgrade to one of the Waterfield ones. Thinking of going with the CitySlicker and word has been good so far. I know someone I can give the Hori case to as well.

How is the Shiekah Slate case from the Zelda Special Edition? Mine is still sealed cause I'm weird but I'm reaaally tempted to open it just for the case.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch, didn't see an answer.

Got the butter fox and I really like it, but I don't dig the shoulder buttons being pushed down all the time.

Anyone have any idea whether or not that could create a problem with those buttons?

Top Bottom