• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie's visual effects have aged the poorest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

ctrl + F Lawnmower Man

You gotta be kidding me

p91XcHU.gif

Nah think it still works pretty well for the film universe its in. Actually I think it works a bit better now because 90s CG is a bit unnerving to look at.

Son Of D

Actually I think it works a bit better now because 90s CG is a bit unnerving to look at.
I have to agree. There's something about 90s CG that looks more disturbing than modern CG. I haven't seen The Lawnmower Man but that gif actually unnerves me a bit.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Time, resources, financial, physical constraints often prevent the visual effects of some of these films to be fully realized. I'm sure you like your work to be criticized by arm-chair internet experts on your work done under duress, yeah ?

Yeah,all that time and resources spent and it still looks like complete fucking garbage. Unless somebody is calling out individual names of animators then I don't really care what they feel as a whole if they were part of a terrible product and I didn't realize it when I wrote a comment. If there were limitations out of control and they know why it was terrible then it's not an insult. If there weren't any, or if they don't believe their work looks terrible simply because it's their work, they don't deserve to be coddled.

Platy

While I agree that the CG here has "aged", it still holds up better than so many of the other examples in this thread. There was still a lot of careful attention to detail applied to the lighting, animation and positioning of the camera that helps the scene overcome its technical limitations.

The problem is that THE THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE WORST VISUAL EFFECT !
It is about which AGED THE POOREST, this means changed from "OMFG THIS IS PERFECT" to "ok, this is not THAT bad considering what they had" and not changed from "DEAR GOD THAT IS SHIT" to "DEAR GOD THAT IS DATED SHIT" which is 90% of the examples =P

Kinyou

Feels like it would be much harder doing the reverse of this thread (with no puppet animation).
It sort of depends on what kind of definition people have for best. I think the best kind of cgi is usually the one you don't even notice.

But of course is that a bit hard for CGI effects that portray stuff that we know is impossible to exist.

lordxar

I watched Pans Labyrinth not too long ago and it's cgi is pretty bad. Great movie but the cgi reliance takes a bit away. I've also been watching a lot of old school stuff with rubber suits and plastic models and quite honestly I prefer the old stuff. I grew up with Alien, The Thing, War of the Worlds from the 50's and stuff like that. Yea some of it looks cheesy but you can see the craft, the effort that went into making them. Modern cgi based movies can do a lot but it ages fast and doesn't feel authentic. Sure it takes artists and effort but it's not the same vibe. Like someone else mentioned, the creators had to be creative with lighting and scenery, now we just add stuff that's missing with a puter and it looks blatantly obvious a lot of times. I'm of the opinion that if something enhances the movie it's good no matter how shitty it looks. Like the stomach thing in the Thing. Yea it's not great but it delivers. All that cgi in the Star Wars prequels was way too much. So those felt like video games and not epic movies. Hated those when I saw them because of that amongst other reasons but the cgi was overwhelming. Compare that to Babylon 5. The graphics sucked even back in the day but holy shit was that universe alive.

Atlas157

All three Star Wars prequels have aged dreadfully.

I think RotS didn't age nearly as bad as TPM and AotC. Sure those Wookies look pretty bad by today's standards, but some scenes in RotS still look pretty good, like the opening shot.

CorvoSol

Honestly, I thought it looked really good and seemed to fit the Tron world. It only looked out of place in that scene from 1989. Should have kept him in the dark because it did not look good in natural lighting.

I was gobsmacked by the T-800 in Terminator Genesys. Pretty seemless.

I'd've been cool with it had it just been 'CLU is really creepy computer man' but Jeff Bridges' weird cg face during the 1989 scene ruins that.

Like, one of two complaints I had with Tron.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I always expect Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within to look like garbage whenever I saw it on tv/Netflix or what have you but everytime I look at it I go, huh, this actually held up pretty damn well!

Oh jeez another GAF thread shitting on visual effects when you guys don't know anything about the process. Carry on as usual.

I don't know how this phone is made thus I can't say it's shit!

I don't know how this car is made thus I can't say it's shit!

I don't know how this video game is made thus I can't say it's shit!

I don't know how this cereal is made thus I can't say it's shit!

Comparative studies can happen at a surface level. We aren't looking for reason why something is, just that this is bad compared to that.

halfbeast

Banned
Is that the one where the actual surfers are clearly guys with her head superimposed? I've never seen the movie; I just remember reading about it when it came out.

I'm pretty sure it was a girl surfer, would be extra hilarious if it was a dude! (they didn't get the skin color right, though)

Ithil

A hint for those who want to still love the JP1 CG shots
Don't look at the feet
That is not noticeable when in motion.

True, it wouldn't at full speed. Unfortunately that shot is in slow-mo bullet time so it's all you can see.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The rest of Jurassic Park holds up amazingly, that first T-Rex scenes and raptors.
JP aged like fine wine, except for the first dinosaur reveal scene, that brachiosaurus, when you watch it again in HD, it doesn't hold up well.

9gyaeFA.jpg

Nah. I saw the restored release in IMAX a couple years ago and it still looked amazing for something made in 1993.

CLU's face in TRON: Legacy. I mean, the rest of the movie still looks fine.

Clu-tron-legacy-18220429-600-400.jpg

I think even in 2010 people were put off and going "uncanny valley," but it was made extra jarring to me after being surprisingly impressed by Ant-Man 'de-aging' Michael Douglas and even Arnold in Terminator Genisys.

Yah but those were 2015.

NekoFever

I want a Special Edition of Toy Story 1 with updated visuals.
They were updated somewhat for the 3D release and Blu-ray. It was a whole new render with updated shaders and lighting, plus added resolution since the original wasn't 1080p. Not hugely so because they wanted it to still look like Toy Story, but an improvement.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought spawn had some ok cgi in it.

tumblr_nc7ywtp1pg1smfoijo2_400.gif

The cape always looked cool to me too.

God we need a new spawn movie.

Yeah, that still looks pretty good. This, though? They must have ran out of money by the time they got to this.

ZWMuu1Ql.jpg

94TCfhrl.jpg

dogstar

Banned
LORT TTT. The whole Ent's carrying the Hobbit's section looks terrible, it reminds me of poor back-projection from a much older film... like a driving scene where the movement doesn't match the backdrop. In such a good looking film this sticks out like a sore thumb.
mEVStDm.jpg

The Chef

This makes me want to watch it. 5ish rating on IMDB, not good. But I like the idea of a CGI nightmare zone.

I never ever had any interesting in watching this. I remember seeing the movie poster + the title Lawnmower Man and it made me so mad.
I dont even care what the movie is about that is the most idiotic name ever.

Attack of the Clones

yPjV8zn.gif
Why not just get a couple guys in suits in front of a green screen? Unnecessary use of CG is really annoying

It's forgivable in cases like the Matrix sequels where a human actor would be unable to portray some of the stuff happening on screen but stuff like this is just unnecessary

SNURB

I was told the back story for mal.

Company had like a week to do it, so they just mashed up a warewolf from *citation needed* that they were working on, from a previous movie. Warewolf in paris maybe?

They had no time to even animate a mouth.

Something to that efffect. Clearly a rush job, but literally had no time to do it.

Fun fact, the director of this turd was responsible for those shitty CGI direct-to-video Garfield movies.

And Halloween Town High.

Annd those Finding Nemo mockbusters :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom