• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Revolution do YOU want?

Tekky

ge-man said:
The REAL revolution would final bring Virtual Reality home at a resonable price. However, this isn't happening soon. So barring that, the next step is motion control devices that still connect to our TVs but allow more intuitive interaction in the game world. I think this is partially where Nintendo wants to do with their whole Revolution agenda--bring control up to speed with next gen tech. It seems like a waste to have such advance graphics, yet still be hitched to controller technology that barely emulates how humans in actually interact in the real world.

The problem with "real world interfaces" is that (a) you're tied to the video screen, and (b) they tend to make you tired.

For instance, let's consider moving around. Right now, you use a stick or buttons to move your character around and turn. A real-world interface would let you walk around. But that runs into the problems I mentioned above.

For another example, consider a fighting game. Right now, you "attack" using various button presses. A real-world interface would let you move your hands around to indicate different attacks. But that would tire you out quite easily. Might be a good idea if exercise is what you want out of a game, though.

What's good about a regular controller is that it gives you something to hold onto, to rest your hands against. You can also rest your hands in your lap while operating the controller. In this manner, it's very ergonomic. Any controller that doesn't let you do this will tire you out easily. In some cases, that's good (exercise), but you don't always want that.

Tekky

Here's an idea of a semi-real-world interface for a game:

Think about the Dance-Dance-Revolution game mat. Now make it virtual. Instead of a big mat, there's just a small box that you put on the floor. It projects out a lit pattern on the floor indicating the various "buttons" that you step on. It's programmable, so you can change the button pattern. It can detect what buttons you step on, of course.

This idea is just combining the DDR mat with this virtual keyboard thingy I saw in the news a while back.

Of course, such an interface will be tiring, since you have to be standing up all the time. It will also make your neck tired, since you need to always look up (at the screen) and down (at the pad). So it's probably not practical. But it's an idea.

Tekky

Tekky said:
Actually, I came up with one idea:

Make it possible for gamers to modify a game, publish their changes for everyone to take advantage of, and earn income for good mods.

You like?

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Norse

Tekky said:
Anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

i hear far cry instincts is supposed to have most of that ability...just the making money portion will be missing I think.

ge-man

I can understand the criticisms I'm getting, but at the end of the day I think it is worthwhile to look at different avenues for control. I'm not usre there are any perfect alternatives, but I do think controllers are limited and will become increasingly more so as other parts of software come up to speed. The funny thing about all of this revolution talk is that people are acting like it's a crime for Nintendo to acutlaly offer something different to consumers. If you don't like what they're doing next gen, you still have MS and Sony to buy stuff from. I don't see why there is so much resistance.

garrickk

If you require that all games must have Zero loading, that might be called a gaming "Revolution" and it's something I could see Nintendo doing.

Sure, there is an initial boot, but after that you could specify that all games must be optimized for streaming data and offer all games with purely seemless environments/levels.

It would require a fast optical drive and a lot of system memory, perhaps with a secondary bank of slower memory? Just a thought.

jedimike

They should go back to what made them famous in the first place...

ROB.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Garrick, it wouldn't really require all that. It would just require creative game design. Once in an area, Metroid Prime didn't load. Unless you looked for it, like a door not opening right away when you shot it.

Same for Wind Waker, come to think of it. If you were watching, you could see each island fade into existence as you moved into a new square and loaded it, but it was another pretty good attempt at creating a seemingly load-free world without having insane hardware.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
BeOnEdge said:
heres my idea of a revolutonary game.

imagine an online world. hundreds of thousands of players. within this world, all genres are combined. you are free to do whatever you want. imagine GTA3 but in the football stadium, you could gather a bunch of people to play a game of football. if i wanted to be a bastard and rush the stadium killing you, fine. but i have to get passed the people who choose to be guards/snipers in the game to keep the peace.

say you wanna street race through the city. jack a car, meet up with others and race. ofcourse you have to weave thru the other cars and peds that are possibly not just NPCs but other REAL players too. tennis? find a court. gangster? rally up other bad asses and go start some crap. eventually other players will band together and try to take u down.

what if the city gets too small? devs build a new neighborhood for you to download and it goes on and on and on. there is time and weather too. now ofcourse as hinted at above, there are pre programmed things like places to buy health, weapons, steal money from etc. maybe a pre programmed police force to keep things KINDA safe, just like in GTA. it could be pure chaos or a utopia.

Its been done. Its called Second Life. An MMO game... look it up.

Psymon

I want simple, but still creative, games. I simply want fun games. That'd be enough for me, I think.

And platforming games. :/

Tekky

Tekky said:
Actually, I came up with one idea:

Make it possible for gamers to modify a game, publish their changes for everyone to take advantage of, and earn income for good mods.

You like?

Norse said:
i hear far cry instincts is supposed to have most of that ability...just the making money portion will be missing I think.

In order for this idea to really take off, though, Nintendo will have to spend a lot of effort in developing game editing systems that are as easy to use as their games are to play. I can't easily imagine what the tools will look like, but it should be possible for a 6-year-old to create new characters and new gameplay.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
You people have no imagination.

Fusebox

Banned
They've got to standardise HD gaming. It should be mandatory under punishment of death that every game support 16:9, at least progressive scan but 1080i where they can, 5.1 sound and custom soundtracks.

jarrod

Banned
Tekky said:
In order for this idea to really take off, though, Nintendo will have to spend a lot of effort in developing game editing systems that are as easy to use as their games are to play. I can't easily imagine what the tools will look like, but it should be possible for a 6-year-old to create new characters and new gameplay.
n20030515e3ninten04.jpg
n20030515e3ninten05.jpg
n20030515e3ninten06.jpg

cvxfreak

I don't want any of this virtual reality crap. I just one great graphics, fun games and some 'within bounds' innovation.

FightyF

Banned
I know, I'm bumping up a really old thread, but I remember this being posted long ago, and rather than posting a new thread, I'll just pop it here.

A true "revolution" would be the jump to VR. As we jumped from 2D to 3D, we can jump from 3D to true 3D visuals.

It would revolutionize the industry, it would be the only thing Nintendo can do, do live up to the name 'Revolution'. Anything short of that, and I'll be dissappointed in them.

If they cant do new franchises, at least upgrade the old ones, they end up being new to newbies and classic stuff to the hardcore ones, for example, where the hell is punch out?Kid Icarus?etc.........if you're not wasting resources in the ips then bring back from the dead the really old ones.......

shuri

Banned
GDJustin said:
Just like the DS, it'll recognize and sense other systems within a certain radius. Think about it, guys. 4 N5s, sitting ANYWHERE in a house, with up to 4 TVs displaying the action. The 16 people can be virtually anywhere, and play. Think about how that would revolutionize multiplayer. Power the things on, and they sense each other. Near-instant setup. Just kart your system over to a friends and you're ready.

The thing is, I'm almost certain that this is an accurate vision of the future, more than it is idle speculation (besides the battery bit).

It's called wireless lan, pc gamers are doing it, and you can already to it on the xbox **

** Ok maybe not in local tcp/ip ;)

DrGAKMAN

Banned
sp0rsk said:
just give me a system that can let me play more games like 4 swords.

Exactly! Give me a lil' screen on each "Revolution" controller standerd and I'll be a happy kid again. Alot of people are trying to think of (crazy glove replacing controller, VR, holograms, etc. ideas even) what the "revolution" will be, but I think a combination of small doable things would be the best. Wireless controllers, touch screen on each, tilt sensor, mic & toggle wheels ALL STANDERD and that'll be a damn-near perfect controller.

Top Bottom