• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's holding mobile gaming back from being widely accepted by "gamers"?

For me personally, there just much better options. Between the 2 handhelds, home consoles, & PC there just isn't time to include another platform. You can't play everything.

Games are too shallow, controls are terrible.

Often true, but it depends on the game. For solitaire type games or match 3 games like Zoo Keeper, a touch screen is far better than d-pad and buttons. Flight Control works better with a touch screen than it ever would with a controller. Just a couple of examples.

However, virtual controls are awful. Mobile game developers need to tailor the game to the device instead of trying to shoehorn another device's experience into it.

Fire Emblem is a 'deep experience' and that can be done (there are probably a ton of well done SRPGs on mobile).

It can be done, but it almost certainly won't. You can't sell a mobile game for $40, and you can't fit Fire Emblem into a sub-$5 game without making some steep compromises (like saddling it with F2P garbage).

Hero

The race to the bottom to get downloads and then the most recent conversion to IAP has completely turned me off from mobile gaming. So much that even when full games actually go free for a weekend or something I rarely bother to get it because I know I will never play it. There can certainly be compelling, great games on mobile but the trash to treasure ratio is horribly skewed even worse than consoles or handhelds.

I'd imagine it would feel pretty abrasive for some to have their points systematically destroyed, in a fashion that they can't really launch a rebuttal argument against.

I know you don't post much but list wars don't prove anything and screenshots don't either.

Wrong! This gets more Wrong as each day passes and mobile platforms rapidly get better technology (Also, deep experiences don't need better technology).

EDIT: Could someone clarify what 'deeper experience' means? Sounds like one of those lame excuse that 'hardcore' gamers use lol? Fire Emblem is a 'deep experience' and that can be done (there are probably a ton of well done SRPGs on mobile).

We've had this discussion before in another thread. Find me 5 original SRPGs on iOS that are on the same caliber of Fire Emblem, which shouldn't be hard because you said there are tons.

Mine has always been the lack of any deep, engaging experiences. The portable MGS games just don't offer the same level of experience/quality of console MGS games. I would like to get to a point that mobile games are capable of delivering full console experiences. And I don't mean just graphics.

I get annoyed with the posters who act like everyone who hates smartphone games is just operating off of a pre-conceived notion or didn't give it a chance.

When I got my first Android phone, I eagerly tried to get into smartphone gaming. I bought several games from different genres. They controlled terribly, I was disappointed and after a while just used my phone for other things. I still had the games, I just never wanted to play them, despite playing games constantly elsewhere. BUT I was told that gaming was so much better on iPhone so when my 2 years came up I got a 4S and tried again. Same result. Despite appearing the nerd, I would much rather play on my Vita/DS than on my phone, and so I just use the phone for Internet stuff.

Now, I'm not saying that I wish smartphone gaming would die, and if others enjoy it, then that's great. But personally I just don't get any enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned from playing games with buttons for 35 years, but I find smartphone games pretty unsatisfying. For me, the portable gaming experience elsewhere is just so much better. Why bother with phone games?

I love my phone, and I love games, but I don't game on my phone.

flak57

I know you don't post much but list wars don't prove anything and screenshots don't either.
That's why there are video links!!!

We've had this discussion before in another thread. Find me 5 original SRPGs on iOS that are on the same caliber of Fire Emblem, which shouldn't be hard because you said there are tons.

Most of the niche Japanese genres like SRPGs are mostly exclusive to Japanese mobile phones (or even the Japanese App Store). Out west it's mostly western devs and a few odds and ends only. A western oriented genre would be RTS/base building games for example, which are scarce on dedicated handhelds.

Not that dedicated handhelds don't win out in most genres though.

Dragmire

I see no reason why everyone should play every game. Everyone has their own tastes. When my mom gets into certain games, I don't say "hey mom, how come you can enjoy Fast Food Frenzy but not Minecraft" or whatever.

But that said, I have tons of android games and love gaming on all sorts of devices. It's really hit and miss with android games but they are by no means all bad. The best ones to me are puzzle-physics games that can be played in short bursts like cut the rope.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
If the mobile dev industry would just settle on a a single uniform, simple, sleek controller attachment for phones, handhelds would probably die.

- People claiming it's some superior future when its basis in popularity is very shallow
- Decent games that aren't poorly controlled ports or Facebook games in disguise
- Buttons
- Buttons
- Buttons

Apple and their horrible app store and lack of quality control is holding mobile gaming back.

It's impossible to make money on the app store now due to apple's approach toward gaming. Everything has to be much smaller in scale.

Adding buttons won't change the budget and scope mobile games get until Apple fixes their platform.

OmahaG8

rings.jpg

Top Bottom