• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for Blizzard/What would you like to see from Blizzard after Overwatch?

arimanius

I want Diablo 3 expansion that adds in the necromancer. Then either WC 4 or a a WC reboot that fixes all the horrible lore stuff WoW did.

Arkam

Would love to see them tackle a genre of game that is currently not very popular. Their last three new IPs (Heroes, HS & OverWatch) were all their take on the most popular gaming trends (LOL, Magic & COD/BF/CS/FPS). That is great and all (no sarcasm) but how about proving your talent by blazing some new trails and open up some markets.

Berordn

I want Diablo 3 expansion that adds in the necromancer. Then either WC 4 or a a WC reboot that fixes all the horrible lore stuff WoW did.

They doubled down on WoW lore with Chronicle rewriting most of the race's origin stories and the motivation behind the Legion, so that's not happening soon.

Rektash

Whilst acknowledging your personal opinions, I would have to disagree on the "take no risks" approach.

Starcraft was a big risk - it was a non-3D RTs at a time when everyone said that was mandatory.

What? Blizzard knew they could make bank with that kind of strategy game. They already did exactly that with Warcraft and Warcraft 2. Blizzard had loads of experience with strategy games at that point in time and there was a big market for these games. There was nothing risky about Starcraft. I don't see how deciding against 3d was any kind of risk. While the industry was slowly gravitating toward 3d, saying 2d RTS didn't sell anymore in 1998 would be completly false. Case in point: Age of Empires, Total Annihilation and countless other 2d RTS that released around 1998.

WC3 was a big risk - they made the game about heroes, and opened up the modding scene in a way no other RTs had done. Not sure if people remember,. but there were huge outcries about WC3 because of the hero and item aspect. People really thought it would ruin the game as it made it less of an RTS and wa sa big jump away from WC2.

While I agree that Warcraft 3 did loads of new, interesting stuff and is probably one of the more interesting games Blizzard have released so far, it still was the third entry in a well established and beloved franchise in a popular genre. So again, I don't think the game was all that much of a risk as it was expected to sell through franchise recognition alone.

WoW was a huge risk - at the time, Everquest was the market leader, with 450K subs, and everyone thought that was about a big as a western MMO would get. Numerous games had challenged Everquest and failed, so Blizzard pumping tons of cash into the game and redefining the entire MMO genre at the time was a huge risk (again, the transition from EQ to WoW was as big as the shift to full 3D MMOs. they made SO many fundamental changes to the model in a thousand little and big ways).

But everyone jumped on the MMO bandwagon back then. No one thought Everqest was as big as MMOs would get. Everyone was banking on MMOs to get bigger. Blizzard was one of the many and they pulled it off best.

Heck, Overwatch is a risk - Blizzard have never made a game anything like it before, it's a completely new IP. Going into an already established genre where you have zero experience and being able to make a game that so clearly has a lot of people's attention is a fairly impressive mark of quality.

The only new franchise Blizzard has released in the past 20 years. Everything else has been Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. And even then Overwatch looks exactly like you'd expect a SciFi AAA Blizzard game to look like artistically speaking. Same old comic look they go for in every game they release nowdays. It pains me Blizzard just can't get out of their comfort zone.

Blizzard have never rested on their laurels, and are more willing than other companies to try new things - and to cancel them when they don't work out. The idea that they are the Michael Bay of gaming is a bit silly, because objectively they have utterly defined modern gaming for millions upon millions of people, changing and owning three genres (RTs, MMO, Action RPG) in a way that makes every other game that has followed them in some way a copy. Warcraft, Diablo and starcraft are huge brands *because* of Blizzard making amazing games and continuing to support them years beyond anyone else.

Now, I didn't say Blizzard was the Michael Bay of developers. That would be indeed silly as I have said, Blizzard is more than capable of making competent, well polished games.

gatti-man

I'd like blizzard to remember its roots and start making cutting edge games again. I'd also like them to abandon the WoW art style for something different. Make anything but start taking chances again. Get away from the safe moves.

Honestly I'd like them to make a space MMO like a mix between EVE and world of Warcraft. But that's just me.

Maledict

I think a Myth style game based on Warcraft could be interesting; no base building, just focus on tactical (small) squad based warfare.
One of the reasons I say this is because if they're going to make a new WCIV I expect it to be an evolution of WCIII.
I'd rather see something back to basics, with emphasis on the action/tactics.

This what was Warcraft 3 was originally. 5 races, no real base building, much more focused on small scale fights with heroes. They ended up canning that idea because they just couldn't make it that fun, and they found it limited them in what they could do design wise.

mcfrank

I'd like blizzard to remember its roots and start making cutting edge games again. I'd also like them to abandon the WoW art style for something different. Make anything but start taking chances again. Get away from the safe moves.

Honestly I'd like them to make a space MMO like a mix between EVE and world of Warcraft. But that's just me.

Safe moves? I feel like Blizzard has been at its most experimental recently. Rather than just crank out sequels they made a new IP FPS and a collectable card game. Those both seem like risks to me.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
WarCraft 4.

Or, they stick to maintaining Overwatch, HearthStone, Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft for awhile.

I thought about it but I can't really come up with anything that would really excite me.

Diablo 4, maybe? This time with a bit more effort put into the story. I dunno, either way it wouldn't see the light of day for many years with Diablo 3 still being supported.

Warcraft 4 is probably more deserved, but I have no idea where they'd start off with the story or if they'd just ignore WoW all together.

I want World of Warcraft 2.

But I have a feeling Blizzard is never going to make another MMO. Compare the costs of creating and supporting a MMO compared to those of Hearthstone. Hearthstone also makes a lot more money than that MMO would make. Who in their right mind would approve another MMO when its clear that smaller projects like Hearthstone are the way to go.

Realistically though, I would have to guess the next "thing" coming from Blizzard is going to be WC3+WC3:FT Remaster(Remake? ~ probably not). Especially considering the upcoming Blizzcon also represents Blizzards 25th anniversary. What a better way to celebrate that than re-release possibly their most important game ever made. I also hope the next Diablo project is D4 and not another expansion. Although I wouldn't mind an expansion, I just want a full scale game more.

Trickster

Soooo just a new expansion to WoW?
What is supposed to change in WoW 2?

We're not getting a WoW2 obviously. But this reasoning is just...what?

Guess we never needed warcraft 2 or 3, they should have just been warcraft 1 expansions?

Or diablo 2 and 3?

Or any sequel ever

old

While hearthstone is a great mobile game, I want to see them dive into the mobile arena with a full fledged mobile game.

Perhaps their take on Clash Royale or maybe their own unique creation.

Artdayne

Safe moves? I feel like Blizzard has been at its most experimental recently. Rather than just crank out sequels they made a new IP FPS and a collectable card game. Those both seem like risks to me.

Hearthstone was very low risk. They had something like 2 people working on it. HOTS was low risk, they chose a game using familiar Blizzard characters in the most popular genre in the world. Also, Overwatch was created from their failed MMO, Titan. So they didn't have to build everything from scratch in that game. Titan was a risk, because it was an MMO and that's a very risky genre but I'm not sure that any of their recent projects that they completed were all that risky.

Gorger

Soooo just a new expansion to WoW?
What is supposed to change in WoW 2?

Some suggestions

*Completely redone graphic overhaul to match what's current for this generation.
*Less cartoony, more gritty.
*New classes
*Improved and more engaging combat.
*More story driven, and less repetitive quests with full voice acting and cutscenes
*A whole new world to explore at the size of Azeroth
*Everyone starts over completely fresh
*Should be released after Warcraft 4 which will push the story forward and set the foundation for WoW 2

Muzicfreq

Banned
Some suggestions

*Completely redone graphic overhaul to match what's current for this generation.
*Less cartoony, more gritty.
*New classes
*Improved and more engaging combat.
*More story driven, and less repetitive quests with full voice acting and cutscenes
*A whole new world to explore at the size of Azeroth
*Everyone starts over completely fresh
*Should be released after Warcraft 4 which will push the story forward and set the foundation for WoW 2

Sounds like an expansion

Finaj

Why? What's wrong with the cartoony style? It holds up fairly well, gives it character, makes it stand out a bit more, as opposed to just looking generic.

Indeed. MMO's with a realistic style seem to get more ugly looking as time goes on (Ex. EQ2, GW2).

Zunja

I'd love for after WoW is gone or sometime later them to make a pseudo-mmo. Like Division or Destiny. It could be set in the Starcraft world but I think Blizzard could do it well. Heck even something like a mon-hunter. Just a neat kinda mmo from them would have me hooked.

Falcker

Sounds like an expansion

Not in the slightest.

WOW expansions are just fresh coats of paint on top of a rust covered car. They desperately need a full on reset to get rid of a decade of mistakes they are incapable of fixing due to the nature of a game made 11 years ago.

Berordn

Not in the slightest.

WOW expansions are just fresh coats of paint on top of a rust covered car. They desperately need a full on reset to get rid of a decade of mistakes they are incapable of fixing due to the nature of a game made 11 years ago.

They drastically revise, scrap and create new mechanics every expansion and make major overhauls to the engine.

It's a radically different game than it was 11 years ago.

Matthew23

Warcraft IV by a mile.

I've seen a couple posts wanting Diablo to be made to work better on modern systems which I think is great but anyone who is interested in this should download the Belzebub mod. It adds 1080p, faster movement in town (if desired) waypoints, and many more changes. Looks and plays beautifully on Windows 10.

Would also love a Diablo 4 but ditch the fantasy tone for horror like the original title had.

All I will say is that especially the stories of their games seem far more derivative today, and tend to bore the hell out of me. The characters in WC2, WC3, SC1 were far more interesting than those in games that have come out since. The overall tone and atmosphere of the Diablo 1 and 2 contrasts IMO sharply with D3. Everything they put out today feels like it has gone through several thousand focus tests before being released. Characters are dull and uninspired. The tone and atmosphere of a game like D3, is I think more cartoony, in order to appeal to more people.

Anyways that's fine if you disagree with me on this. I don't think you are wrong about them always "perfecting existing" genres. Their games have always been polished and well done, and that quality has stayed consistent. It's basically all the other stuff -- story, art, atmosphere, that has gotten more safe, because as they've gotten bigger they've gotten less risk averse. That's my perception anyways.

I didn't agree with your first post but I think this is pretty close to the mark. I find the stories in their older titles a lot more fun than what we've seen lately. There is much more writing and dialog in games like D3 and SC2 but they're nowhere near as interesting as their predecessors. I find myself waiting for cutscenes to end now where before I hung on every bit of story and lore older titles offered. I'm sure part of it is me being older, but the stories now come off as bloated and take themselves too serious.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Either Warcraft IV or a new MMO since I believe they are the only ones left who can make a good MMO to revitalize the genre. The Genre is held up by WoW, FFXIV (which is a poor man's WoW) and a bunch of F2P. MMO in the Diablo Universe would be awesome.

Overwatch was created from their failed MMO, Titan.

Whats the source on this one? I remember reading that they were planning on making Titan something else than a MMO, but I wasn't aware it was OW!?

This is really interesting, it would explain the very high quality of the gameplay and character desing the game has, even though the relative development time (from announcement to release) is fairly short.

On the subject. I wouldnt mind the doing something very different for a change, brong that Blizzard-magic to a new genre... Perhaps do a reboot of Rock'n Roll Racing... (And also bring them to HOTS already... Damn you lazy devs ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-HwvYjLLg

3 part series, they talk about it in there.

Thanks!

Edit: it was good 3 part show! Good stuff! Thanks!

-MD-

Whats the source on this one? I remember reading that they were planning on making Titan something else than a MMO, but I wasn't aware it was OW!?

This is really interesting, it would explain the very high quality of the gameplay and character desing the game has, even though the relative development time (from announcement to release) is fairly short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-HwvYjLLg

3 part series, they talk about it in there.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'd take Diablo expansion or Diablo 4, still play with friends almost nightly still. Game is just alot of fun.

And of course Warcraft 4....

TheYanger

They drastically revise, scrap and create new mechanics every expansion and make major overhauls to the engine.

It's a radically different game than it was 11 years ago.

I mean, you're not wrong, and I think to try and deride it as 'fresh coat of paint' is incredibly derisive, but if they made a NEW MMO they could do so much more. The very very basic elements of wow can't really be changed without making it a different game, which would be stupid. A new game would give them a chance to do something crazy and surprising.

Berordn

I mean, you're not wrong, and I think to try and deride it as 'fresh coat of paint' is incredibly derisive, but if they made a NEW MMO they could do so much more. The very very basic elements of wow can't really be changed without making it a different game, which would be stupid. A new game would give them a chance to do something crazy and surprising.

I don't disagree if we're talking a whole new MMO, the genre's open to a whole lot of ideas just waiting to be epxlored.

But I don't think anything valuable is gained from scrapping WoW for a hypothetical WoW 2.

Speely

Banned
I would like to see Titan committed to again in a way that builds upon the mechanics that Overwatch has established. A reset and re-realization that utilizes better solutions for high-load networked play that will be ostensibly-available

Think a MMO based upon ability loadouts that are more customizable but still play like OW. Set in the OW universe.

(Is Overwatch going to be acronymized that way? Would be funny since it's just WoW minus a W.)

Instro

I'm expecting D4 next. They've clearly been hiring for it, or another expansion at least. It's their only existing franchise that isn't on the downturn. I don't think they'll be doing any traditional MMO any time soon, if ever, and the RTS genre is circling the toilet these days. New IP, or existing IP in new ways make sense as well.

Top Bottom