• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for Blizzard/What would you like to see from Blizzard after Overwatch?

Hearthstone's success made Blizzard realize they don't need to do mega monolith projects to be successful and be profitable. I think it's a big reason for the cancellation of Titan and Overwatch being made. PvP sessions based games seem to be their forte atm. I'd like to see Blizzard spin on a approachable for everyone 2D fighter. Wide open space that could work well I think on PC. Fighters need appealing characters and Blizzard have them in spades.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The only correct answer is Warcraft 4.

But only if old Blizzard made it, new Blizzard is too safe, plastic, sanitary, risk adverse, not sure what the word is. Its like they're too good at catering to the masses.

sgjackson

I definitely agree with the theory that Hearthstone's success taught Blizzard the value in taking games with die-hard multiplayer fanbases and streamlining/polishing them conceptually for mass appeal. If I had to guess at genres that would be ripe for that treatment, I'd say fighting games are the big one, and to a lesser extent Monster Hunter or competitive Pokemon.

I'd also say that's a fair amount of time away and they let their new stuff breathe a bit, in the meantime working on putting out content for their current IPs and maybe announcing a few remasters.

valeo

The only correct answer is Warcraft 4.

But only if old Blizzard made it, new Blizzard is too safe, plastic, sanitary, risk adverse, not sure what the word is. Its like they're too good at catering to the masses.

Warcraft didn't used to be 'made for the masses' then? I don't see a huge difference in today's Blizzard to the one who made Warcraft 2 and 3.

I hate when people say this stuff because they never really qualify it with anything real.

Another mmo. Possibly wow 2. It's not going to happen obviously. I'm not sure they can even succeed after what they've done with wow and failing at titan.

This is the worst meme. What was it when Blizzard made a simpler version Dune II and Herzog Zwei using their off-brand Warhammer? Or made a simpler version of EverQuest? You are talking about a company that has had nothing but smash hits for two decades.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Warcraft didn't used to be 'made for the masses' then? I don't see a huge difference in today's Blizzard to the one who made Warcraft 2 and 3.

I hate when people say this stuff because they never really qualify it with anything real.

Okay. I don't have to "qualify" it and even if I wanted to, you don't seem too receptive.

Read my lips - custom games in Overwatch. Just allow players to do whatever the hell they want ala WarCraft III custom games. But if they do allow that, I'm sure this time they will install some kind of failsafe so the second coming of DoTA doesn't slip right through their hands. I bet Blizzard is still kicking themselves over that one.

Based on their handling of SC2 i'm not sure that would happen. It doesn't seem like they want their future games to have mods.

This is the worst meme. What was it when Blizzard made a simpler version Dune II and Herzog Zwei using their off-brand Warhammer? Or made a simpler version of EverQuest? You are talking about a company that has had nothing but smash hits for two decades.

That's the exact Blizzard I want to make Warcraft 4. After WotLK and Diablo 3 time frame they clearly are not the same company they once were.

Yeah they fucked it up for StarCraft II, but DoTA 2 is essentially doing the old custom games thing again. Overwatch would be ripe for that if they were to capitalize.

Brokun

Another mmo. Possibly wow 2. It's not going to happen obviously. I'm not sure they can even succeed after what they've done with wow and failing at titan.

People keep asking for WoW 2 but what does this even mean? Is it just a graphical upgrade? They can do that in the current game, you don't need a whole new MMO for that.

Well considering their amazing cg and the fact warcraft is a film, I kinda wanna see them double down and just make a full tv show/cg movie. I mean all the games beg for the material (well obviously not warcraft because movie) so I don't know, would be cool to me. I don't expect a new IP or genre for awhile, all their games seem to be more "we will update this until the end of time" kinda deals which i'm perfectly fine with. But it makes it hard for requests like this.

Desperately need a new MMO from anyone, the genre is pretty damned stagnant at the moment. Whether it's WOW2 or something original, I'd be down,

MMO is in decline these days. The investment is too damn high for a risky market. There's no high profile mmo development anymore from the West. Only the Korean and Chinese left who are making mmo these days. The western devs are resorting to lower riks projects like moba, multiplayer games and such. Even if there's mmo, they're simplified like Destiny and Division. I believe there'll be no more AAA open world mmo from western developers for unforseeable future.

It's gon b WC4.

good writing

They already have some of my favorite genre titles with Starcraft 2 and D3 but both these are so heavily tarnished by bad writing it's a pity. These Overwatch animation shorts are also like a 9-10/10 animation quality and 3-5/10 writing.

Everything else Blizz is top tier at, so yeh.

I'm afraid, given the ample evidence, that they actually think that their writing is pretty dang decent.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Give me World of Diablo before I die so I can rest in peace.

Strimei

MMO is in decline these days. The investment is too damn high for a risky market. There's no high profile mmo development anymore from the West. Only the Korean and Chinese left who are making mmo these days. The western devs are resorting to lower riks projects like moba, multiplayer games and such. Even if there's mmo, they're simplified like Destiny and Division. I believe there'll be no more AAA open world mmo from western developers for unforseeable future.

Yeah, Blizzard was, in a sense, kinda lucky that Titan ended up crumbling under its own weight and getting Overwatch from its ashes. The MMO landscape has changed quite a bit from when WoW was at its apex.

They'd be wise to not even try to make a WoW 2. It'd cause too many problems (split the resources, possibly kill WoW along with WoW 2 potentially flopping too. Kinda hard to capture lightning in a jar twice)

As to the topic at hand, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of remaster of the original Warcraft trilogy. Don't change the lore or anything, just spruce it up a bit, rerelease them.

I also don't really see a Warcraft 4 happening anytime soon, though it could be set up in the past and explore things like the War of the Ancients, maybe.

Mrbob

Isn't the Warcraft and StarCraft team one and the same? They might be working on Warcraft 4 now with the StarCraft trilogy finished. Overwatch team might get split into those working on post release content and others starting a sequel.

Pompadour

fighting game

I kind of want Blizzard to buy the Street Fighter IP and the team develops the engine. They seem like they'd be able to best execute the F2P model ideal for Street Fighter. A $40 SF6 with a continually updated roster that is potentially free, premium cosmetic items, and the improved matchmaking SFV desperately needs would be ideal.

Artdayne

What's next for them is probably something low risk, something that appeals to the widest audience possible, something that can help supplement the money they've been hemorrhaging in WoW subs for the past several years.

What I would like to see is Warcraft 4, or maybe an action RPG using Warcraft or Starcraft lore, idk.

They can obviously make a good multiplayer FPS, why not a singleplayer one? Make one in the old vein with a level editor that doesn't suck and I'll be there day 1.

Defo don't want a fighting game from them. I'm satisfied with the current fighting games available especially MKX.

I'd like to see Diablo expansion or Diablo 4

Atomski

People keep asking for WoW 2 but what does this even mean? Is it just a graphical upgrade? They can do that in the current game, you don't need a whole new MMO for that.
I want a new MMO from them cause they need to start from scratch. Wow is a big mess now with to many expansions. Plus some mistakes have been done along the way like flying mounts and such.

MGrant

Diablo 4, or a multiplayer twin-stick shooter (think Helljumpers). Something fast, skill-based, and arcadey; WoW is their MMO probably until 2020 at least, and Hearthstone and HotS fulfill their CCG and MOBA quotas, so those genres aren't needed.

Audette

I would love to see them give some love to their classic titles. Expand the access to them, get them on modern PCs and tablets. I consider the blizzard library on a similar level to Nintendo, people will play those games if they rerelease them. More so I would love to get some real Diablo and Warcraft 2 on tablet.

Top Bottom