• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Corgis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMizzlin

They seem wonderful. My girlfriend and I are going to get one and name him Amadeus the Regent. It's really the only appropriate name.

Ferrio

Banned
Only one dog rivals corgi....the dorgi.
7bAGzIL.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I was sold until the shedding part.
They shed like crazy, but they're worth it. Love my corgi. She sings when I get home, always sits beside me when I'm feeling down and... whenever someone says "Get Erik" she runs over to her kong and brutalizes it. I'm not sure about that last part. :-\

LeksiW

Neo Member
Well, I have never posted to Neogaf before, but I have been reading these forums for many years. My Pembroke Corgi has a full tail and she is highly intelligent and energetic and healthy. Her name is Crumpet, she just turned 3 and I love her too much for words:

IMG_20140308_171234.jpg

She loves giving her belly. She also will play with all her toys by herself or whomever is around to amuse her:

WjwnHw2.jpg

And she has achieved a very high level of photo-bombing:

0gXm94z.jpg

The above picture is Crumpet with a docked Pembroke I dog-sat for some neighbors. I helped the big guy lose some weight during our 12 days together and the parents have maintained a healthier lifestyle for their Pembroke since then. His energy levels are high for a 10 year old. =)

I also have some videos of Crumpet being her silly, cute self: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkvAWaMgYaoEZGEbSe0c6QqjL3W3VjExn

She does shed a lot but I have never regretted bringing her home. They are gentle, easily trainable, loving dogs with big hearts in sturdy, small bodies.

LeksiW

Neo Member
Just adding an old pic of our old dog. He was the smartest dog I have known and lived to be 18.
ressu4qj62.jpg

Wow! That is an adorable picture of you as a kid with your best friend ^^ Corgis typically live 12-15 years, so 18 is amazing. That's like an extra 12-24 human years.
(According to recent calculations it is 10 years per year for the first two years, and then 4 years each subsequent year for dog to human age conversions.)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They're cute :3 but not amazing.

Wouldn't be my first choice for a dog or even in the top 5.

So what are corgis built like? what's their fur texture like? Are they muscular tough potato sacks, or squishy sacks? Do they easily get odory?

The lack of any neighbor having a corgi around here legit bums me out :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what are corgis built like? what's their fur texture like? Are they muscular tough potato sacks, or squishy sacks? Do they easily get odory?

They're solid dogs. Depends how fat they are though.

My family has Siberian Huskies, but Corgis are super cute.

I'm a fan of all dogs pretty much. Dogs are just great. All breeds are cute in their own way. I will go in any GAF thread celebrating dogs.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

They can easily get fat if you let them, but mine is pretty lean/solid. Her fur is super soft though, she basically feels like a real life stuffed bear. She doesn't really smell bad at all, and generally looks quite clean (only needs a bath if she plays out in the mud or after being left in boarding), I think that is one of the plusses of all the shedding she does.

Just a little word of warning, if anyone is seriously thinking about getting one. They are herding dogs, and as such, they go through a nipping faze when they are young. So prepare for that, I can see it getting out of hand if you don't deal with it properly and with patience. My wife was a little overwhelmed for a while, but our little one eventually grew out of it and she is now the most amazing dog ever.

Grisby

Well, I have never posted to Neogaf before, but I have been reading these forums for many years. My Pembroke Corgi has a full tail and she is highly intelligent and energetic and healthy. Her name is Crumpet, she just turned 3 and I love her too much for words:

IMG_20140308_171234.jpg

She loves giving her belly. She also will play with all her toys by herself or whomever is around to amuse her:

WjwnHw2.jpg

And she has achieved a very high level of photo-bombing:

0gXm94z.jpg

The above picture is Crumpet with a docked Pembroke I dog-sat for some neighbors. I helped the big guy lose some weight during our 12 days together and the parents have maintained a healthier lifestyle for their Pembroke since then. His energy levels are high for a 10 year old. =)

I also have some videos of Crumpet being her silly, cute self: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkvAWaMgYaoEZGEbSe0c6QqjL3W3VjExn

She does shed a lot but I have never regretted bringing her home. They are gentle, easily trainable, loving dogs with big hearts in sturdy, small bodies.
Aw, probably the most adorable first post I've seen. Crumpet is a pretty awesome dog name too.

I've been meaning to get another dog for some time now and I've decided to make it a corgi. The shedding part doesn't concern me so much as my last dog, a Britney Spaniel, gave off fur like no tomorrow. Just means using a brush more.

There's a website/tumblr deal I like to visit about a corgi named Corgnelius. Some funny pictures on there.

daemonic

Banned
This thread inspired me to look into Corgi-Huskies. I always wanted a Husky but they're too large for my place and I don't have enough space to provide for them. This mix would be perfect.

Mr. Hyde

My girlfriend and I have a long haired male Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a female American Eskimo. They're hilarious together. The Eskimo is the dominant one and enjoys humping his head when they're playing. I
Almost died laughing the first time that happened.

My parents have a tricolored corgi and a tricolor shiba inu. Lovely dogs.

SBH

Wow! That is an adorable picture of you as a kid with your best friend ^^ Corgis typically live 12-15 years, so 18 is amazing. That's like an extra 12-24 human years.
(According to recent calculations it is 10 years per year for the first two years, and then 4 years each subsequent year for dog to human age conversions.)

Thanks, the old man was tough. My last dog was a German Shepherd who died when he was 13 and half. According to this calculator he was 108. Cannot select Corgi as a breed apparently, so I have to trust your calculations.

Protag

Banned
They're such strange looking dogs.

corgi-dog-cardigan-welsh-herding-dogs_29485.jpg

I mean, they have such large normal sized heads, with stumpy little bodies.

Why were they bred this way? What kind of use could a corgi be? I mean, I guess they're kind of cute. But still...

I dunno, something about them disturbs me. I both find them adorable and kind of intimidating. I can't process them

What a weird post, you make them sound like an alien race

They're beautiful dogs, and theyre so so cute

Clydefrog

So many gaffers own corgis!! aaahhhh I NEED ONE

how do you guys handle the excessive shedding? do you have to brush them constantly? do you vacuum your entire house daily?

So many gaffers own corgis!! aaahhhh I NEED ONE

how do you guys handle the excessive shedding? do you have to brush them constantly? do you vacuum your entire house daily?
My place isn't that big so it's rather easy to clean but it always helps if I brush her regularly. That undercoat fluff will get everywhere if you don't brush it out. I had gotten lazy with her for a little while there and the fluff balls were begging to be removed. The undercoat near her butt started to pop through the top coat. It's basically just soft, white hair in clumps and it comes out rather easily. If you let it go though, it will be covering your stuff. I really need to get one of those deep cleaning furminator brushes.

Raistlin

They're such strange looking dogs.

corgi-dog-cardigan-welsh-herding-dogs_29485.jpg

I mean, they have such large normal sized heads, with stumpy little bodies.

Why were they bred this way? What kind of use could a corgi be? I mean, I guess they're kind of cute. But still...

That's the actual answer for most modern breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom