• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most racist thing you've encountered in a video game itself (not real ppl)

RRockman

Banned
Something about Ganondorfs depiction in Ocarina of Time always bugged me the wrong way. It always seem like the game was racist against Arabic, viewing them as the bad guys against the nation of Hyrule. Even Zelda herself says she doesn't trust him but doesn't give any specifications why.

Indeed that was tone deaf. While he does have that permanent evil grin stuck on his face and that is what would tip everyone off, Zelda says it in a way that really makes you think she has some rude misconceptions about people.

Looks like it. Is this a series? I want to read more.

manly guys doing manly things

pakkit

Banned
Being the white savior in Far Cry 3. Fuck that game's story.

This is a misreading of the story. You're meant to be loathesome, and you're meant to be an ignorant douchebag, and you're meant to have this savior complex without any understanding of the island's underlying nuance and story.

2016-04-18.jpg

I thought the same exact thing with that post.

Nzyme32

I'm not sure if Racist is the right word but the most uncomfortable I've felt is with Resident Evil 5 and the spear throwing people. Everything about it feels wrong

SomTervo

latest

Played by
latest
Pretty sure some studies have found that there's a big overlap where you can't tell the difference in voice tones. Considering its just voice and movement that's captured, not image, i think this is ok.

We know for a fact the game's creative team tore themselves up over it too.

This is a misreading of the story. You're meant to be loathesome, and you're meant to be an ignorant douchebag, and you're meant to have this savior complex without any understanding of the island's underlying nuance and story.

Please post something from the game itself (not your summary of it) that indicates its being subversive. Because I don't remember it that way at all.

patchday

Eve Online always made me wonder if the devs are racist because all the Black folks (Minmatar faction) were slaves in the lore. Not sure if they fixed it by now but they also gave all Minmatar high Charisma and low Intelligence base stats. They always felt racist and offensive af too me

I cant think of a single game more blatant then Eve

Clunker

Please post something from the game itself (not your summary of it) that indicates its being subversive. Because I don't remember it that way at all.
I remember some post-release posturing by either the game's writer or someone else from the dev team saying something akin to this, but it always struck me as a saving-face spin move to try and handwave away the super-obvious white savior aspect of FC3.

Expect something similar when Far Cry 5 comes out and Ubi attempts to talk out of both sides of their mouths when the game invariably fumbles on how it handles race, class, and other social variables of its U.S.-militia based game. :/

I remember some post-release posturing by either the game's writer or someone else from the dev team saying something akin to this, but it always struck me as a saving-face spin move to try and handwave away the super-obvious white savior aspect of FC3.

/

That's what I'm thinking. What a lot of people don't seem to get is that irony/satire/subversion have to be indicated in the text in some way. Being racist/sexist/etc is not itself evidence of subversion at all.

KonradLaw

/

I think that what makes it work in FC3 is that Citra is using Brody the whole time. Outsiders get roped in as suckers to fight and die for natives. In essence the myth of white savior is exploited by Citra

necrosis

has anyone mentioned heavy rain

there are like 2 (two) people of color in the game. one is a murderer and the other is a drug-dealing strip club owner

👌

Shellshock Nam 67..

That game just rubbed me the wrong way. I mean i get its a war game.. But actually blowing limbs off people and having sex with the locals.. Seemed a bit extreme

pakkit

Banned

Sure thing. Here's an interview on Kill Screen with the writer. There are plenty of instances and examples that show what he was trying to do. As far as an in-text example, I think the giant "fuck you" of you an ending that you get if you decide to stay on the island and win the woman is a clear show that this is subversion.

Here some quotes from the interview:

"[FC3] is not a satire, because for me satire is ironically keeping yourself distant from immersion. But I think it walks the line between those; it’s a meta-commentary of videogames. So it’s talking about not just shooters, but videogames as a whole, and what we’ve turned a blind eye to in videogames. Videogames have all these tropes that they use again and again because they’re easy to design for. I tried to do something where we take those tropes and we subvert them so that they become revealed. We’re revealing what’s weird about these tropes, and also we’re trying to explore them from a fresh perspective."

Now, whether or not you think the subversion was successful is a separate conversation entirely. But I think it's pretty clear that the writer wrote Jason as a douchebag's escapist fantasy from the get-go.

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member

I know the writer has said this was the original intent, but hoo boy is it poorly written regardless. Author's intent doesn't magically make a story better.

And it still doesn't excuse how awful and nonsensical the "Bad Ending" is. Citra's actions come off as pretty racist even if they were intended to be satire.

Platy

Barrett legit has like the best lines in that game.

I can see arguments of barret not being racist stereotype.

I don't see any defense about how you can count in one hand the black characters (including npcs) in the game.
Like is Barret the last black dude ? Is FF7 set in a post-nazi victory world ?

I am glad that FF7 remake seems to change that at least

cordy

Banned
Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever he showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.
1291556-sazhairsmilechoco.jpg
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

LordKasual

Banned
I can see arguments of barret not being racist stereotype.

I don't see any defense about how you can count in one hand the black characters (including npcs) in the game.

I mean it's 1997 Japan, i don't really know what one could expect.

Like is Barret the last black dude ? Is FF7 set in a post-nazi victory world ?

I am glad that FF7 remake seems to change that at least

hqdefault.jpg

I mean i'm not surprised? Square's depiction of black characters has always been pretty great, at least when they do actually pop up. Sazh still remains one of the only consistently "good" things about FFXIII's writing/script.

But again, it's Japan. I don't really know what you would expect concerning racial representation.

I mean in FF7's entire main cast, Barret is the only decidedly "black" guy...and Cid is the only decidedly "White" guy (a dusty, country, chain smoking, spouse abusing mechanic guy) Everyone else is clearly Asian inspired.

Raven117

Pretty sure some studies have found that there's a big overlap where you can't tell the difference in voice tones. Considering its just voice and movement that's captured, not image, i think this is ok.

We know for a fact the game's creative team tore themselves up over it too.

What's more irritating about this is that they didn't actually get a South African voice actress regardless of race. Moreover, while it is not uncommon, a black South African (Nadine) will likely have a Bantu language accent (Zulu or Xhosa), not the Afrikaans accent that Nadine has. Its possible though.

If you know what you are hearing for, you can tell Bailey's voice isn't quite right on the money. She did a decent enough job though.

The South African accent is difficult to nail.

Top Bottom