• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your PC controller of choice?

Alastor

I left myself a Sixaxis when I sold my broken PS3 back in 2010 and it's working perfectly fine to this day. I don't need any other controller, besides m&k of course.

Recall

Wired 360 controller with the chat pad attached for that extra weight. I like it a lot.

I do have a PS2 controller to USB adapter I used to use, which was ok when games worked with it.

I read the thread and this does not appear to be a universal sentiment.

There are some people with problems, which are solved by downloading the offline/local version. Most people don't have problems with either version.

It's still worth mentioning.
I guess, I just don't see how that can possibly lead anyone into wasting money buying another controller over using one that you already own.

GavinGT

Banned
I guess, I just don't see how that can possibly lead anyone into wasting money buying another controller over using one that you already own.

I wouldn't disagree with that. But OP already has a 360 controller so I think he should just stick with that, unless he finds that dongle that unsightly.

Hylian7

360 controller in general, Dual Shock 3 for anything that needs a D-pad, although I need to get around to messing with those drivers for the Wii U Pro controller, as it basically fixes the major gripe with the 360 controller: the d-pad

Durante

The PS3 controller with a custom (offline) version of Motionjoy.

I play far too many games on PC that need a usable d-pad for the 360 pad to be a serious option (though I do have 2 of those and the PC adapter as well).

Anything requiring an analog pad, I'm likely going to go with a wired 360 pad. It's been good, reliable, and has a strong compatibility rate with basically plug in, and most games can do it.

My personal preference for when I can use anything are my Sega Saturn PC pads. I love it, feels comfy, great for retro and all that good stuff. Only is a bit tricky for when I'm trying to play SFxT and the button config is all picky for the PC. But that's just cause it has less buttons. I like it though.

Hypron

Like so many other people, I use a wired xbox 360 controller (that I also use on my xbox). It's compatible with pretty much any game released this gen that would need it. The wired version is better than the wireless one imo, you don't need to worry about batteries, it's lighter and it has lower input lag. The only downside is the terrible d-pad.

The only games I play using keyboard/mouse are first and third person shooters. I play pretty much everything else using my pad (I don't play strategy games).

+1 for the Xbox 360, i use this for just about all my PC gaming, i even use it for FPS like TF2 coz extended keyboard use kills my hand so i map movement, jump, crouch and a weapon change to the 360 pad and aim with my mouse. Works great for me. As an aside, i can only play as spy with the 360 pad, i haven't dared to try a cross controller option for that class, the thought of learning it scares me!

spcd

I bought the 360 controller for my PC and I had to return it. I was able to put BOTH analog sticks in such a position so that I would be constantly shooting/moving in Geometry Wars. In some cases it would not center properly, the stick would be a fraction to a direction and the game would register this.

This is very annoying. It's impossible to enjoy playing a game with this problem.

Calibration did not solve this problem. Microsoft does not supply decent drivers to configure a deadzone. This is not an issue when the game has an option to configure a deadzone. But not all games have this.

There exists software to counter this problem. If you google: xbox 360 deadzone you will find other people talking about this problem.
http://www.mightorindustries.net/xbox-360-controller-on-windows-alternate-configuration-solutions/
http://mattbrett.com/blog/videogames/2005/configuring-your-xbox-360-controller-for-windows/

I'm sad that I did not discover these articles before I returned my 360 controller. Else I would still be using it.

TL;DR The drivers of the xbox360 controller have no deadzone options

GavinGT

Banned
I bought the 360 controller for my PC and I had to return it. I was able to put BOTH analog sticks in such a position so that I would be constantly shooting/moving in Geometry Wars. In some cases it would not center properly, the stick would be a fraction to a direction and the game would register this.

This is very annoying. It's impossible to enjoy playing a game with this problem.

Calibration did not solve this problem. Microsoft does not supply decent drivers to configure a deadzone. This is not an issue when the game has an option to configure a deadzone. But not all games have this.

There exists software to counter this problem. If you google: xbox 360 deadzone you will find other people talking about this problem.
http://www.mightorindustries.net/xbox-360-controller-on-windows-alternate-configuration-solutions/
http://mattbrett.com/blog/videogames/2005/configuring-your-xbox-360-controller-for-windows/

I'm sad that I did not discover these articles before I returned my 360 controller. Else I would still be using it.

TL;DR The drivers of the xbox360 controller have no deadzone options

Having a friend who owns one of the most popular controller modding companies in the world, I've worked closely with this very issue. In fact, I'm in the midst of updating my controller test software for them in order to incorporate more comprehensive deadzone detection. So I can say with certainty that this issue is relatively rare when it comes to new 360 controllers. It's maybe one out of every thousand controllers that has this problem out of the box, as it's supposed to be tested for and fixed before being shipped to retailers. Basically, if the mechanism that centers the stick doesn't bring it back fully to the desired position, they alter the potentiometer to compensate for this. However, they sometimes do this poorly, and this results in that drag when you go to play a game.

It depends on what I'm playing. I use a 360 controller for everything game where sticks are the primary input. For 2D games, I prefer controllers with a Dual Shock layout.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I use one of my X360 wireless controllers in conjunction with a knock-off wireless receiver and aside from early-gen Ubi games that needed a fix for it to be properly detected (apparently all those millions poured into development couldn't buy five minutes of a programmer's time to add a device id), it's been perfect.

terrisus

wireless-gamepad-f710feature-image.png

Logitech F710.

Wireless and with rumble feature. Nice rubber padding on the back for those sweaty moments, robust springs in the triggers. D-pad can be a little bit iffy at times, but other than that it's a great gamepad.

This, although I keep rumble off, as I always do with all rumble features.

Logitech also made my favorite PS1/PS2 controller, with a real D-pad as opposed to the separate buttons on Sony's controllers.

I'm using Dualshock 3 wih Motioninjoy and a bluetooth dongle for a wireless connection since almost a year and it works perfectly. Can only recommend it.

lunchtoast

Wireless 360 controller. It's all I use for PC gaming. If the game doesn't have controller support, I probably won't play it or wait for a patch.

Wasn't motioninjoy basically a virus?

I use two wired 360 controllers with my PC, they're great. I may get some wireless controllers just for my HTPC setup.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Plain old wired 360 pad. It's comfortable, and pretty much any modern game supports it without needing any extra drivers or programs.

shandy706

I have 6 different PC controllers....

..I always end up using my Wireless 360 one.

If you want something of another brand use a Razer Onza..

54039-razer-onza-box.jpg

..or the Saitek Rumble, which has a switchable pad/joystick for symmetrical or asymmetric play. (it also works on the PS3)

54042-saitek-rumble-pad-box.jpg

Sini

Keyboard and mouse for most games.
X360 wired controller for some sidescrollers and most racing games.

rrs

Usually K/M but I have a 360 wired pad, a USB to PS controller adapter, and a Gravis PS1 pre-analog clone with USB.

friz898

I'm interested in picking up a controller for my laptop - I'm leaning towards the PS3 controller so that I can use Bluetooth and avoid unsightly dongles, but I already have a spare 360 controller I could use.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Another vote for PS3 controller with motion joy. Been using that setup for over a year now. No complaints. Especially since it has "X-box mode" and that works well with console games made for computer like Alan Wake and Ass Creed series.

Plasma

Banned
360 controller, it's nice to just plug it in and have it work. A lot of games that support it even change over the button prompts to match up to a 360 controller as well which is handy.

Top Bottom