• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think Microsoft will react to potentially losing next gen battle?

denshuu

How can you say that after last Thursday?

By actually looking at sales numbers.

3.6 million units in 3 months is not what the word "struggling" means. I'm sorry. If you want to have a conversation about how they plan to attempt to outpace Sony, then that's a valid conversation. To say that they're struggling isn't even close.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
They will abandon home consoles. It's not a growth market and it's hard to make money. I don't think they were very keen on even doing the Xbone.

They were never keen on doing each and every Xbox line. Lots of articles and interviews discussed the apprehension about entering the market with the original Xbox, particularly in earnings periods where it was shown that the division was not as profitable as expected, despite certain success clawing some market share from competitors.

At least with the 360, the company proved genuine enthusiasm and care behind the concept and future outlook. The Xbone however has shown an attitude shift in the management structure for the division that is more vain than the last generation.

slapnuts

Of course some of you may well say the war is already over, but I think only the most ardent MS fan would claim that they are selling more than PS4...

All evidence is now pointing to PS4 pulling away? is NPD reports are accurate, surely no company as big as MS would accept being outsold, I appreciate PS3 did but Sony never had the money to rectify the situation..

I am guessing Titanfall is the big one (I read a lot of people saying it wont make a bit of difference) but we don't know that, as no one can see into the future..

If as some predict Titanfall does not produce a comeback do they go aggressive and at least price match the PS4, as surely that would be a sensible move, as at least then consumers have a straight choice..

As the moment they are the same price, MS arguably would have a good shot, sure it may not be as powerful but then they 'claim' they have the multimedia extras.

So, in summary....when do they act, or could they do the unthinkable and accept being second and just do the spin they come out with each time NPD report

way to early dude...look at PS3 or the much more underpowered Wii last gen...I've learned not to be hasty with anything these days. I do believe PS4 will win..easily but there is no way im conformable with putting final judgement on this, yet.

vrln

Neo Member
As some posters here have already said, everything MS has been doing lately is a response to the PS4. They are playing catch up now.

It´s very bad for the core gaming market if X1 flops as hard as the Wii U. Competition is needed - just look how well the PS4 turned out after the Xbox360 managed to tie or even win (depending on market) the PS3. The moment Sony does not have a competitor anymore is the moment they will start making less investments in their ecosystem...This industry needs at least a few successful platforms.

Riky

$MSFT
I don't think they will make decisions purely on selling less than another console, they will probably make decisions based on the profitability of Xbox One. They have sold consoles faster than the 360 launch, at much better margins and haven't had the reliability problem that early 360 consoles did.

What is probably worrying for them is that they have inventory on shop shelves while the PS4 barely touches a shelf before its sold.

Microsoft's strategy, it seems relies on their console being the 'centrepiece' of a home entertainment system. Every PS4 that is sold dents that aim in a small way as a percentage of those buyers will only buy one console and one console alone.

beast786

Software changes everything. Talk to me in 5 years.

Seeing the 3rd party is always the most selling. And PS4 will have remarkably best version of them all. I say its safe to say you dont have to wait 5 years.

Especially how 360 was treated its last half.

slapnuts

They aren't, because the Bone isn't selling poorly. It's just not outselling the PS4.

Why would you ever think this about Microsoft, of all companies?

nah it is selling poorly man...sure they had great sales for their launch holiday season...but now that the dust settled...they are being outpaced by 2-1 in sales right now and it seems most likely that trend will continue. Why X1 groupies keep saying X1 is selling great is baffling...our gut feelings told us what was happening and last NPD proved that to a T!

They already did.

Xbox*

Seriously?

They will abandon home consoles. It's not a growth market and it's hard to make money. I don't think they were very keen on even doing the Xbone.

They won't, the main MS execs care too much about Xbox to let it go and it isn't like it's completely interfering with the rest of the company.

MS had two other generations of not being in first place as practice. They'll be fine. Really this is the best thing that could have happened to an Xbox fan. It sucks now but the next console will probably go back to the power before all mantra. It should hopefully inspire them to make more new IPs as well since Xbox exclusives can't look better on PS4. As happy as we all are with the PS4, it wouldn't exist as it does without the PS3 setting a bad example early on.

Hopefully this. Also I'm hoping in 2016 (15 year anniversary for Xbox) they release HD versions of a lot of OG Xbox games to play off of nostalgia. Conker Live n Reloaded, Jet Set Radio Future, Midtown Madness 3, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, these were my childhood.

RalchAC

I think the biggest problem Microsoft have is that the 'definitive' editions of games, either games that perform better/look better or have exclusive DLC are favouring the PS4.

Thief is 'linked' to PS4 with exclusive content.
Destiny will be marketed with PS4 heavily and has exclusive content.
Sony always co-market assassins creed.
Sony have a deal with Watchdogs.
Diablo III has exclusive PlayStation content.
Metal Gear Solid V looks/runs better on PS4.
Add in that Sony have a broader range of Indies launching in 2014 with big names like The Witness etc.

Could be a rough year for Microsoft if they don't do something about the price and launch in more territories. If they aren't in the rest of the EU by August then they'll never get Europe back.

From that list, only Destiny and Watch_Dogs matter. I mean, Sony has always co-market AssCreed, most audience is there, things won't be all that different. Thief and Diablo (on consoles. It is a PC centric IP) aren't big sellers. Metal Gear Solid is like FF, a franchise that sells mainly on PS hardware because it's been tied to PS platforms since forever. And indies only appeal to a limited userbase (though it's getting bigger).

Destiny is important because of Bungie (and it looks really good) and Watch_Dogs could easily be this gen Assassin's Creed.

In general I agree with your statements though. I think they'll announce more countries soon since there aren't stock issues any longer. A May / June release window looks likely imo for Tier2 countries. Still, they've lost UK and they could lose US if they don't do something soon. I won't be surprised if they drop Kinnect next fall and drop its price.

MS had two other generations of not being in first place as practice. They'll be fine. Really this is the best thing that could have happened to an Xbox fan. It sucks now but the next console will probably go back to the power before all mantra. It should hopefully inspire them to make more new IPs as well since Xbox exclusives can't look better on PS4. As happy as we all are with the PS4, it wouldn't exist as it does without the PS3 setting a bad example early on.
Very true, MS and Sony competing are good for both of them. Without MS in the picture Sony would still be in the stone age with Nintendo when it came to services and online infrastructure. MS got them to get their butts in gear in those areas. Assuming they don't leave the market, i'm excited to see what MS brings out for their next console. Guarantee it'll be a beast.

Adam182

Banned
nah it is selling poorly man...sure they had great sales for their launch holiday season...but now that the dust settled...they are being outpaced by 2-1 in sales right now and it seems most likely that trend will continue. Why X1 groupies keep saying X1 is selling great is baffling...our gut feelings told us what was happening and last NPD proved that to a T!

So outselling the 360 when it launched is poorly?

The x1 is selling better the 360 was at this time. At a time when the 360 was running with no competition. Not sure how that equals poorly

Sony is almost bankrupt, so it could be that MS is doing nothing and waiting. It is not unlikely that Sonys gaming division will be sold (much like the PC division lately) in the next two years.

Will be interesting to see who will buy it. Could be Nintendo or Microsoft or Apple or Google or Amazon.

Thrillers

Banned
Ultimately M$ will do what they think is best for their business portfolio and when the PS4 is outselling MS 2-1 I'm pretty sure some things will happen in terms of future investment?

But Crucially it's how the MS fans react. I was going to buy a XB1 but when it came down to specs and business practices yada yada I went with the PS4 but after leaving MS all I see now is a sinking ship. Just look at "Titanfall" on this very forum you have people calling that next gen bliss, gorgeous graphics, etc but when "the order" gameplay was released today and those very same people call the graphics sub par. As a gamer I know there is a clear difference between the two in terms of visual fidelity. The difference being a clear demonstration between the power of the ps4 and xb1

MS Fans will never accept defeat even though the conversation has changed. MS fans will tell you that the xb1 is actually outselling the ps4 even when the raw numbers and data are readily available. The fanboy war is dead right now it's just a few shots being sent from those unwilling to give up the fight. MS will face pure embarrassment with every cross gen game released (the witcher/ Watch dogs in the next few months) Lower res and sometimes a lower fps makes me so glad i made the switch.

Let the hate commence...

Sony is almost bankrupt, so it could be that MS is doing nothing and waiting. It is not unlikely that Sonys gaming division will be sold (much like the PC division lately) in the next two years.

Will be interesting to see who will buy it. Could be Nintendo or Microsoft or Apple or Google or Amazon.

AHAHAHA. Okay.

Alot can happen between now and say 5 to 6 years. So this topic maybe a teeny bit premature. Besides I'd worry more about the company with financial difficulties and a great selling product than the company that's stable financially and a good selling product.

jaypah

It will all depend on whether or not their services and subscriptions are making them the kind of money they desire. I don't think they care as much about being #1 in sales. Remember, they were fully prepared to lose every customer that didn't want to connect to the internet. They couldn't have possibly had their eye on being number 1.

Or, after the death of their always online plan they realized that their projections can't be met because they CAN'T control their resale market. In which case they are probably running around frantically trying to figure out how to right the ship without outright buying up every game in sight.

It's either one or the other, lol

There is no real console race. It's just something to keep us fanboys preoccupied and fired up.

MS would be happy to outsell the Xbox 360's first 5 years. Or even stay the same. They're in this game for profit.

Microsoft have bet big on Titanfall shifting Xbox Ones, and based on the hype around the beta it seems to have garnered a lot of interest.

Microsoft won't go anywhere just yet, its a marathon not a sprint and they have a great line-up of games coming.

I won't say its selling great because its not, but for a console at $100 more I don't think its doing badly. 1 NPD month of 140k difference is obviously not a good thing but as I said, they've bet big on Titanfall and would expect any reaction with regards to pricing and so forth to happen after that comes out.

Every console is making a profit, it has Kinect in it, theres several things they can do to adjust the pricing which is what I think the problem is.

Ultimately M$

Is this really necessary?

kitsuneyo

If you consider that Xbone is apparently being sold at a decent profit, you could say they're actually winning. Reasonable numbers, lots of games being sold, must equal the profit MS is in this for right?

Get a jump on the next generation.

Xbox Two coming 2016. It's gonna be bigger, louder, and have access to a time machine. Whenever the Xbox Two's not on your screens, everyone will be asking "Where's the Xbox Two?"

Thrillers

Banned
*EDIT*

See?

If you consider that Xbone is apparently being sold at a decent profit, you could say they're actually winning. Reasonable numbers, lots of games being sold, must equal the profit MS is in this for right?

RRnhhqW.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think the important question is 'when' but 'how'. I don't know if turning all their first party studios into franchise factories was a new idea, but it's an awful one. Similarly, if their response to dwindling revenue streams is to pack more microtransactions into their games, they are only going to alienate the people who might buy the console even further.

If that's the case I'll be thankful when they leave the industry in a few years. Sony might stagnate a bit without competition to keep them on their toes but that's vastly preferable for what MS plan to do if they control the console industry.

People keep saying it's a marathon but I still think Xbone will be fast to bow out of the 'race' and I think sales will crater in the next few months as PS4 builds momentum. By the end of the generation I doubt Xbone will have sold many more than the first Xbox.

RdN

I've very early to think about it.

Last gen.. Until 2009 everybody thought the PS3 was a utter and complete failure. Sony simply couldn't do anything right. It's price was not competitive, there was no games (and the feel that existed didn't sell), the online infrastructure was nothing short of ridiculous. But then they woke up, changed the things that they could, and the system had a new life.

Now, we're only 3 months from both launches. I'm sure MS you do, like Sony did, everything that it can to stay competitive through out the generation.

amar212

If they aren't in the rest of the EU by August then they'll never get Europe back.

It is not like they've ever "had" Europe by any margin.

Outside of UK, Europe (and PAL) were always Sonyland,.

And frankly, with policies where 45% of possibilities of XboxOne are not available for people outside of US - and UK in smaller margin - it is crazy to think anyone will be attracted to buy XboxOne without some crazy, crazy, crazy exclusive or insane low price - which will not happen, because everything is more expensive in Europe than in the rest of the world (sans Brazil).

Get a jump on the next generation.

Xbox Two coming 2016. It's gonna be bigger, louder, and have access to a time machine. Whenever the Xbox Two's not on your screens, everyone will be asking "Where's the Xbox Two?"

If they release another system, which is in doubt, they will definitely try to rush it to market to beat Sony. I'd guess in 3-4 years.

While the ps4 is ahead, it's a long time remaining this gen, and a lot can happen.

I think the ps4 will stay ahead myself, but I can see them selling very well and fitting into a comfortable second place position. I don't see Ms allowing a wii U style sales collapse, even if they have to moneyhat the heck out of developers to keep the games coming.

jaypah

Is this really necessary?

The rest of it was pretty cringy too.

They are only looking at the money. Which may end up sucking for consumers but I'm not sure if MS cares about being #1 if they're projected to make some bank.

OnPoint

Microsoft could turn the Xbone around with a three pronged approach, though they would have to be pretty desperate.

1. Ditch Kinect from the SKU. No one wants it, it drives up price, devs aren't using it.

2. Drop the price. $150, not $100. It would position them below the ps4. This would give them an advantage or force Sony to react.

3. Redo the OS. Anecdotally, everyone I know hates it. I've read a lot of people saying it's confusing.

These three things would effecitvely relaunch the system, provided the games are there.

kinggroin

Banned
Of course some of you may well say the war is already over, but I think only the most ardent MS fan would claim that they are selling more than PS4...

All evidence is now pointing to PS4 pulling away? is NPD reports are accurate, surely no company as big as MS would accept being outsold, I appreciate PS3 did but Sony never had the money to rectify the situation..

I am guessing Titanfall is the big one (I read a lot of people saying it wont make a bit of difference) but we don't know that, as no one can see into the future..

If as some predict Titanfall does not produce a comeback do they go aggressive and at least price match the PS4, as surely that would be a sensible move, as at least then consumers have a straight choice..

As the moment they are the same price, MS arguably would have a good shot, sure it may not be as powerful but then they 'claim' they have the multimedia extras.

So, in summary....when do they act, or could they do the unthinkable and accept being second and just do the spin they come out with each time NPD report

You realize you're saying they will "lose" to Nintendo, right?

kitsuneyo

*EDIT*

See?

Lol... I'm not an MS fan by any stretch, I don't even have an Xbox any more. But it's better to sell 3 million consoles at a healthy profit than 5.5 million at a loss/break even/tiny profit. From MS's perspective they might be happy with the way it's doing so far.

hoos30

Someone should sticky that image of the PS4/XB1/PS3/360 launch window sales to the top of the board. This place is insufferable when people start threads like this without taking a few seconds to look up the history.

Alot can happen between now and say 5 to 6 years. So this topic maybe a teeny bit premature. Besides I'd worry more about the company with financial difficulties and a great selling product than the company that's stable financially and a good selling product.

"Financial difficulties" :)
A nice description for the fact that Sony is almost bankrupt.

I think the console business will change a lot in the next two years. Sony will leave the scene and other companies will fill the gap and potentially buy the PS4.

weeeeezy

Banned
I don't think the important question is 'when' but 'how'. I don't know if turning all their first party studios into franchise factories was a new idea, but it's an awful one. Similarly, if their response to dwindling revenue streams is to pack more microtransactions into their games, they are only going to alienate the people who might buy the console even further.

If that's the case I'll be thankful when they leave the industry in a few years. Sony might stagnate a bit without competition to keep them on their toes but that's vastly preferable for what MS plan to do if they control the console industry.

People keep saying it's a marathon but I still think Xbone will be fast to bow out of the 'race' and I think sales will crater in the next few months as PS4 builds momentum. By the end of the generation I doubt Xbone will have sold many more than the first Xbox.

LOL wut? It's still selling well regardless of how Sony is doing, but make whatever predictions you want if it keeps you happy.

pixlexic

Banned
They just needs great games on their platform that the other guys do not have.

The problem is that it is very hard to do that now days without totally funding them.

Their definitely not losing to Wii U. And as long as its profitable and sell a ton of units (which it will), I don't think it really matters if they don't sell as much as PS4.

w00zey

"Not leading" and "doing poorly" are separate things. Sony is definitely leading and that's not what MS wants but if you think they are doing poorly then I don't think anybody will convince you otherwise.

I guess this is my point as well. So many people here are concerned with who is number 1. While I am sure that companies who aren't their respective number one in a lot of industries strive to be number one, they don't discount the fact of being profitable as the most important thing. Though haven't we seen that xbox isn't profitable without the money from some weird android patent or something?

Either way people need to understand that microsoft will fight to be number one but that being a profitable second place isn't a place they mind being.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It doesn't matter what your competition does so long as you are making a net profit off your own product.

That's the ultimate question. I think there's no way in hell MS wants to lose $100 profit with a price drop. They don't want to sell the XB1 at a loss, in a division that's already heavily scrutinized by stock holders.

I don't see a non-kinect bundle happening either. Not this year anyways. They need to move existing units off the shelves, not introduce a new SKU that will cause current stock to gather even more dust.

I think we're going to see a ton of value-add bundles and services in the next few months, more that are official and not retailer driven, like a free game, an extra controller, a bundle with exclusive game releases, and perhaps the return of the subsidized console like they did with the 360.

There's a lot of stuff happening right now already (Gamestop layaway program, Walmart and Target giftcards and game with purchase, etc.) and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more of that in the months to come. But I think any kind of loss on the hardware, be it with a price drop or having to recall Xbox Ones to repackage them without Kinect, is unacceptable at the moment.

I think we'll see this Christmas how things will look for them in the future. If they take a pounding this Christmas as well they'll have to react, assuming they haven't already removed Kinect and dropped the price.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Don't know, they might try to deceive customers with technological bullshittery, pay media outlets for positive coverage and start to astroturf places like NeoGAF. Not sure if they are already desperate enough for that, though.

I think all of these companies realize that this "console race" is a marathon not a sprint. Give it two or three years and if one is substantially behind or ahead you'll see some change in business strategy, but we are still in the early adopter phase and will be for the next 12 months for sure.

First post wins again. Besides, what defines winning? I guess congrats to Nintendo and their Wii business?

Top Bottom