• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When questioned, are you a Feminist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was catching up with some podcasts I usually listen to as I'm writing this uni paper and I stumbled upon this question. On the podcast Why Oh Why, she surveyed some men in New York to see their views. Most people she talked to were liberal.

She asked them about feminist issues, but when it came down to asking them if they would label themselves as feminist's, they all would stagger and say no.

So I come to you Gaf. If posed the same question, how would you respond?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, although the only time the word feminist comes up is when someone is complaining about them.

Like the above.

dreams

Yes, though I can't fault POC or LGBT+ who hesitate to use the label. Feminism must be intersectional or there is no point.

Depends on the person asking. If its a known liberal than yes but if its some average person, which tend to have the wrong notions about what feminism is, then I'd say I'm an equalist (which is what feminism is but without the misconceptions).

Yes.

Anyone who says other wise has two options.

1. They are confused by what it means.

2. They are an asshole.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Well I don't shave my armpits, so I guess I am.

And seriously, I would say I am, but that I'm also against abortions. For some reason some people find that it contrasts feminism.

digdug2k

Probably not, because I've got no idea what the word fucking means any more and I'm not gonna slap a label on myself I don't understand. Maybe an IDK if I actually like whoever is asking, and then a follow up to ask a specific question if they actually have one.

Permanently A

I don't think I would. I'm not educated enough on the subject to claim myself a feminist, I can't really defend or espouse feminist ideals. However on the basic stuff that I do understand, like equal pay and equal opportunity I of course support.

Yes.

Anyone who says other wise has two options.

1. They are confused by what it means.

2. They are an asshole.

This is the type of bullshit that turned the concept of feminism (and a lot of other social stances btw) into something toxic that people would rather avoid.

You are perfectly allowed to have dissenting views. Thinking you have to absolutely be pure black and white on issues gets nothong done.

Kurdel

Banned
Depends on the person asking. If its a known liberal than yes but if its some average person, which tend to have the wrong notions about what feminism is, then I'd say I'm an equalist (which is what feminism is but without the misconceptions)..

Who gives a shit what other people may think of you?

You don't have to protect their feelings.

Xe4

Banned
Sure, why not. I believe in equality for all people women included, and am willing to fight for that. Ergo, I'm a feminist. There are lots of different labels to describe that view on the world, and feminist is one of them.
I don't know if I'd describe myself as a feminist when I meet someone or whatever, but if the question comes up, I'd answer yes.

Sinfamy

An ideological movement with no governing body is meaningless to me, anyone can misconstrue and misrepresent it.

Not even the most active feminist activists can come to agreement on what it actually means and what they stand for, and pretending it's only about gender equality is disingenuous, it goes far beyond that.

I will fight against gender discrimination wherever it exists, but the world needs more nuance on this subject, for some it's really black and white.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_movements_and_ideologies

I'll be honest, I don't really understand what it means to be a feminist besides cutting your hair short and dying it purple.

I'm all for equal rights for everyone though, including men's rights. Basically anyone being mistreated, I'm in your corner.

Knox

Yes, but I'll probably also bring up the fact that it's a politically charged term that means different things to different people.

Who gives a shit what other people may think of you?

You don't have to protect their feelings.

Well I do, I'm not a confrontational person, I'm not gonna be unbrainwashing years worth of negative propaganda about feminism when I can say I believe everyone is equal and basically get across the same message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom