• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where were you the first time time you heard Duel of Fates from Star Wars Episode 1

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

It's hands down the best Star Wars song. I was I think 11 at the time. Midnight releases weren't a common thing back then, so only 1 theater in town was doing it. My dad won tickets off the radio to the premier and we stood for hours in line outside the theater before the screening.

That song left an impact on me, as a kid. Definitely a highlight.

DKehoe

My gran got a pirated VHS of it. A really shitty bootleg copy. During the submarine chase in Naboo you couldn't see anything going on in the background so I had no idea what was chasing them. That was the first way I saw it, then a little bit later I saw it in the cinema.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think I was in the gym and that first trailer with the song dropped on TV.

That is such an odd cultural touchstone to consider though, compared to 9/11, the challenger explosion, going into Iraq in GW1, or some other event.

I have a vivid memory of hearing that Brandon Lee died while in the cafeteria. Strange how memory works and what it keeps around.

ManaByte

When the soundtrack released before the movie and the track list spoiled Qui-Gon’s death for everyone.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
In the theater. Crying when Darth Maul died.

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Nah ah

Lies No GIF

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I was a young kid at the time and Darth Maul was so cool. Double bladed lightsaber! Spikey head! Sith!

Remember it has been nearly 25 years since that movie game out.

Ahh I see. My sincere condolences for your loss.

Yeah time flies....

I was like 11.

I started working at that age but i was still a child.

Do people already drive cars at 11 years old over there in holland?

No used to be 18. It's 16 now i think. I don't know.

Jinzo Prime

It's hands down the best Star Wars song. I was I think 11 at the time. Midnight releases weren't a common thing back then, so only 1 theater in town was doing it. My dad won tickets off the radio to the premier and we stood for hours in line outside the theater before the screening.

It's a perfect piece of music, John Williams is the greatest film composer of all time.

It's hands down the best Star Wars song.

Absolutely not.

It's not even the best prequel song let alone the best Star Wars song. Hell, even Rey's Theme from the sequel trilogy is better. It's hands down the most overrated Star Wars song.

Watching nerds cream their pants because Disney threw it in the Kenobi trailer for no reason pretty much sums up why the franchise is in the gutter.

NecrosaroIII

Absolutely not.

It's not even the best prequel song let alone the best Star Wars song. Hell, even Rey's Theme from the sequel trilogy is better. It's hands down the most overrated Star Wars song.

Watching nerds cream their pants because Disney threw it in the Kenobi trailer for no reason pretty much sums up why the franchise is in the gutter.
Rey's theme is the only good Sequel Trilogy piece, and it's pretty decent, but it's mid tier at best.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Tl;dr what even is that? I loved star wars as a kid. I remember my dad taking to us too see it. I must have been 5 or 10

Trunx81

The soundtrack released before the movie came into theaters in Europe. Tracks 15 and 16 spoilered the whole ending. Thanks for that, John Williams!

15."Qui-Gon's Noble End"3:48
16."The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral"

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In the cinema in 1999.

Interesting that this thread came about because I was thinking about this song recently. My friend has it on a certain playlist and it blew my mind. Perhaps I'll create a thread about it tomorrow.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was in the UK and my auntie got me a VHS rip that was surprisingly good quality before it even released over here. But the song never really resonated with me, when I was 9 I loved Jar Jar and Darth Maul. Now I can't stand either but shout out to Ahmed Best. The man got the redemption he deserved.

NecrosaroIII

I was in the UK and my auntie got me a VHS rip that was surprisingly good quality before it even released over here. But the song never really resonated with me, when I was 9 I loved Jar Jar and Darth Maul. Now I can't stand either but shout out to Ahmed Best. The man got the redemption he deserved.
Whats wrong with Darth Maul :(

NecrosaroIII

I don't personally hate him like I do Boba Fett but he's just the ultimate jobber. That bit in the Rebels show when Obi-Wan beats him again and he nearly starts crying. Wtf.
It would have been cool if he was a recurring villain in the prequels. Some shadow agent rival of Obi Wan's

Nope, I love them with episode II being my favorite SW movie.
I love everything about this movie, awkward romance included. That sense of adventure, man! So much cool stuff is packed in just a little over 2 hours without credits.
Duel of the Fates also plays when Anakin is searching for his mother:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
When I saw Episode 1 in the theater. I don't remember any of the details. Which is fine since I hate all the prequels.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can't remember where I first heard it but it might have been MTV. I think they played a special video of it. It's one of the best themes ever in Star Wars.

Vestal

Gold Member
The first time I heard the song was on either MTV or VH1 prior to the movie release.

It is the most "main stream" of the Star Wars music.. I mean it had its own music video playing on MTV and VH1... There were mix cuts made of it on radio stations.. DJ's were mixing it in at all the major dance clubs. Personally its in my top 10 Star Wars songs and Top 20 Williams songs.(Nostalgia probably plays a factor in some of my choices)

I don't think people remember how absolutely INSANE the atmosphere was around this movie. I was 20 when it came out, and it was the first time I had ever seen a theater start cheering during a movie trailer... People would go to movies just to watch the trailer... It was the first "EVENT" movie of my generation.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely not.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Gp1

Am I the only one who liked Star Wars episode 1-3?
EP. 1 and 2 are very weak besides one cool scene or another but at least they move the story forward.

EP.3 on the other hand, even with all of its problems, is awesome. Probably the best Star wars movie after the original trilogy.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
EP. 1 and 2 are very weak besides one cool scene or another but at least they move the story forward.

EP.3 on the other hand, even with all of its problems, is awesome. Probably the best Star wars movie after the original trilogy.

EP1-3 at least have strong and honestly brilliant world building. They feel like a fully fleshed world, evne if everyone talks like 3 year olds.

The biggest problem with the ST is nothing feels like a universe. It all feels disconnected.

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom