• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console had the best version of street fighter II?

BokehKing

Banned
There was a shady bar near my house with a SFII machine in a dark corner in which Zangief could fly through the screen throwing hadoukens with yoga flames coming out of his shins. I think that was the best version.

EDIT:
J/K ofc
I loved those...
Mid air sonic booms
Crouching sagat tiger shots in mid air.
Mid air and electric blanka..

Yet if someone picked dhaslim and did a yoga flame the machine would reboot lol

My vote is for SNES version, sega's 6 button controller just wasn't doing it for me, and it looked nicer on SNES imo
For Xmas my dad built me an arcade cabinet, paid God knows how much for a SNES arcade stick (had an circle gate too!)

VARIA

I'd go with the Virtual Boy release:

siqNLcu.jpg

Probably this
20869_front.jpg

-unless you mean baseline II, then I have to think about it for a few minutes :D

EDIT:Snes version of SF II Turbo gets my vote but I also enjoyed the 3DO version of Super

I remember playing this at my friends house and I had to use the select button for punching or something.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Pretty sure the Street Fighter Collection version on PSOne is arcade perfect. I own it. But the loading times are fucking atrocious.

Lol at people saying SNES.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't the PS2 have both Original and Alpha Collections which was finally arcade perfect?
But back in the 90's? 3DO was the only arcade perfect one but dat pad....

jerry1594

I'm sorry, but no ps1 2d fighting game port is arcade perfect. Only Saturn had those.
Yet Street Fighter Collection on saturn is worse than ps1.
Am I forgetting something? I don't recall there being a Street Fighter II collection on PS2. There's Hyper which was included in the Anniversary Collection.
Either you're thinking of ps1, or Capcom classics vol. 2 which has super turbo on it.

Pretty sure the Street Fighter Collection version on PSOne is arcade perfect. I own it. But the loading times are fucking atrocious.

Lol at people saying SNES.

Exactly. And I also agree with you with those saying SNES. Like... seriously? Game was missing a bunch of animation frames, looked pretty bad, hit boxes were all over the place, etc. No... just... no.

The way I've played them, to me the best versions are these:

World Warrior: Street Fighter Collection

Dash: Street Fighter Collection

Hyper Fighting: either Street Fighter Collection or the release on Xbox Live Arcade for the 360

Super: lol, who the hell plays this game, it's probably the worst Street Fighter II game

Super Turbo: Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge for the Dreamcast, although of course it's not arcade perfect. But it really is the best home version of Super Turbo, hands down. This game is the base for HD Remix.

RyudBoy

I can never go back to playing a 2D sprite based Street Fighter again. Shit just doesn't feel right.

On topic, Super Turbo on 3DO was the best (even with the missing parallax scrolling).

Son Of D

C64 of course.

Street_Fighter_II_-_1992_-_U.S._Gold_Ltd..jpg

No but really, even if not arcade perfect, you can't go wrong with most home versions (SNES, Genesis, TG16, 3DO, etc,)

I can barely make out what's meant to be Ryu but I can't even see where Ken is meant to be.

CO_Andy

Pretty sure Hyper SF2 is the best since it's just Super Turbo but with all the character variations from the series.

Agent X

I don't believe anyone's mentioned it yet in this thread, but I'd like to give a special mention to Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded for PSP. It contains excellent ports of SF2, SF2 Champion Edition, and SF2 Hyper Fighting (along with many other great early Capcom games).

I believe they're actually ported from the PS1 versions, so they're not quite arcade perfect, but they are very close. (Score display at the top of the screen is the most noticeable difference.) You can choose the original CPS1 music or the "arranged" soundtrack (the soundtrack introduced with the 3DO version of SSF2T). You can also choose three different displays: 1:1 pixels with no scaling (black border on all four sides), full screen stretched to all borders, or 4:3 full screen (which stretches vertically to the PSP top and bottom borders, but actually condenses slightly horizontally due to the original image being not actually 4:3 ratio).

The game is compatible with PS Vita and PSTV, and is a real joy to play on both of those systems. It looks beautiful on the Vita's crisp display with vibrant colors, and the PSTV lets you enjoy the game on a modern HDTV. It's not available on the PS Store on those systems, so you'll have to have a PS3 to download the game and perform the transfer.

ReyVGM

Wasn't the 3DO version pretty bad gameplay wise?

No, the 3DS SSF2T is pretty much the only 3DO game that received high scores from magazines back in the day.
The bad thing was the controller, but I seem to remember something about you being able to hook up a SNES or 6-button Genesis controller?

ElTopo

Banned
Emulation. Pretty much every console version had issues. Aside from that, HD Remix has the most accurate version (gameplay-wise) for ST aside from the HD backgrounds.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I never played the gb version of sf2 but did own mortal kombat and it was terrible. It may look nice in pictures but the frame rate was for shit

SF2 GB had an awful framerate, yeah. Interestingly enough, despite its name, the game was based in SSF2.

One might think that the Gameboy was shit for fighters, but Takara did a really nice job with some of their Neo-Geo ports and Toshinden.

petran79

Banned
i remember the ms-dos version of ST was the best, fastest and smoothest version till the arrival of the dreamcast
Picture and color quality in svga monitors was stellar

Hasney

I can barely make out what's meant to be Ryu but I can't even see where Ken is meant to be.

Ryu is on the right jumping, that red mess on the left is Ken who was literally a palette change. It was Ryu in red gear.

SOURCE: I owned that damn version before upgrading to the Amiga version, which is also shitty for different reasons.

EDIT: I also owned the original Street Fighter...

street_fighter_3.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There was a shady bar near my house with a SFII machine in a dark corner in which Zangief could fly through the screen throwing hadoukens with yoga flames coming out of his shins. I think that was the best version.

EDIT:
J/K ofc
Could've fooled me into thinking it was the rainbow edition

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm sorry, but no ps1 2d fighting game port is arcade perfect. Only Saturn had those.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Saturn guy, but I never owned the Collection on Saturn. Did it come out? I have the PSOne version. Seemed perfect to me. Outside the disgusting loading times.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I used to love Special Champion Edition on the Megadrive. It had the standard, champion and turbo versions of the game. I believe it was also the first SF game on the Megadrive.

Orcastar

I have fond memories of playing the Amiga 500 version of Street Fighter 2 when I was a kid. You had to swap disks after every match and the game was a joy to control with a one button joystick.

I have no idea how I ever managed to enjoy it.

graybot

SF 2 on SNES for sure

I remember the megadrive version. It was so bad and made me realise I needed to buy a SNES

Top Bottom