• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console had the best version of street fighter II?

5nS6mtR.jpg

The CPS Changer was Capcom's answer to the Neo-Geo AES. Basically a glorified supergun, cartridges were surplus CP System PCBs encased in plastic shells. It was home to arcade-perfect versions of Champion Edition and Hyper Fighting, not to mention Final Fight, Captain Commando, and a scant few others.

Good luck getting your hands on one these days, though.

Ostinatto

The CPS Changer was Capcom's answer to the Neo-Geo AES. Basically a glorified supergun, cartridges were surplus CP System PCBs encased in plastic shells. It was home to arcade-perfect versions of Champion Edition and Hyper Fighting, not to mention Final Fight, Captain Commando, and a scant few others.

Holy shit !! I want this !!!

I'm sad this never took off like Neo Geo did.

The Cowboy

Put me in the same group as the people posting SF2HDRM and PS360.

Love that game, easily my favourite version of SF2 and gutted it was never ported to PC - i would love a version ported to current gen and PC.

lazygecko

I'd go with the Virtual Boy release:

I saw the thread for this a couple of months ago and I was very intrigued. Looking at that direct feed screenshot it looks like the character sprites are pretty much the same resolution as the arcade version?

SF 2 on SNES for sure

I remember the megadrive version. It was so bad and made me realise I needed to buy a SNES

Capcom just shoved out very tokenesque ports based on the SNES code and assets to the Megadrive once it got too big for them to ignore on the international market. Their Japan-centric leadership never had much of a real commitment to the system. Had they put the same amount of effort into it as as SNK did for their 16-bit downports it could have been so much better.

Ban Puncher

Could always plonk down some cash on one of those Consolized CPS2 setups.

OmegaDL50

I can never go back to playing a 2D sprite based Street Fighter again. Shit just doesn't feel right.

On topic, Super Turbo on 3DO was the best (even with the missing parallax scrolling).

Fun Fact: Street Fighter 4 despite looking like a 3D game actually uses 2D hit-boxes for attacks and hit detection. So removing the 3D character models and leaving only the hit zones visible, One would not be able to tell the difference between 2D sprite based Street Fighter or the 2.5D Street Fighter IV, they are mechanically the same at it's core, unlike say something like Street Fighter EX that used 3D hit detection tied to the character models and objects on screen.

Slappers Only

Even with its crappy sound, I've always favored the Special Champion Edition on Genesis because I love playing it with the six-button controller.

RyudBoy

Fun Fact: Street Fighter 4 despite looking like a 3D game actually uses 2D hit-boxes for attacks and hit detection. So removing the 3D character models and leaving only the hit zones visible, One would not be able to tell the difference between 2D sprite based Street Fighter or the 2.5D Street Fighter IV, they are mechanically the same at it's core, unlike say something like Street Fighter EX that used 3D hit detection tied to the character models and objects on screen.

Yeah. It's the frames of animation that makes it feel weird to get back into.

cireza

Always played Super Turbo on Saturn, think it is a great port.

For an early port, my pick would definitely be the Genesis SFII CE, with the 6 buttons controller.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Only $3,392.26!

RobRSG

SF2: SNES
SF2 CE: Megadrive (As Street Fighter 2 - Special Champion Edition)
SF2T: Megadrive (As Street Fighter 2 - Special Champion Edition)
SSF2: SNES
SSF2T: DC (As Super Street Fighter 2 X for Matching Service) or PS2 (As Hyper Street Fighter 2)

petran79

Banned
SF2: SNES
SF2 CE: Megadrive (As Street Fighter 2 - Special Champion Edition)
SF2T: Megadrive (As Street Fighter 2 - Special Champion Edition)
SSF2: SNES
SSF2T: DC (As Super Street Fighter 2 X for Matching Service) or PS2 (As Hyper Street Fighter 2)

I remember playing the Mega Drive version of SSF2: New Challengers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Street_Fighter_II#Super_Nintendo

The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version was released simultaneously with its SNES counterpart in all three regions. Although there are differences between the SNES and Genesis ports, the two versions are almost identical in terms of content. Like the SNES version, the Genesis port supported the XBAND online network (although only for its North American release). The Genesis version was released on a 40 Megabit cartridge, which allowed the inclusions of additional voice clips of the game's announcer which were missing from the SNES version, such as stating the names of the fighters, although the audio quality is not of the same level as the original arcade version. In the Options menu, the player can choose to play the Super Battle mode on "Normal" or "Expert" modes. The latter increases the number of opponents from the arcade version's 12 to all 16 characters. This version has been re-released on the Wii Virtual Console in Japan on November 8, 2011, the PAL region on April 12, 2012, and in North America on April 26, 2012.

There weren't a lot of bad ports of the game. The 16-bit versions all ran at 256x224 and were missing backup animations, but they were still pretty awesome even if they weren't arcade perfect.

Top Bottom