• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Sony Studios are most likely to show up at E3?

mrmuty

Neo Member
Hopefully we know what Santa Monica is doing, they've worked in helping small studios with their games (journey and unfinished swan come to mind), people didn't like God of War: Ascencion, personally i thought it was just good enough, but let see what they have up in store, hopefully a new IP.

Hopefully we know what Santa Monica is doing, they've worked in helping small studios with their games (journey and unfinished swan come to mind), people didn't like God of War: Ascencion, personally i thought it was just good enough, but let see what they have up in store, hopefully a new IP.

a new god of war game
confirmed at ps experience

gloriousd

Neo Member
I would love to see Polyphony Digital... but I don't want to set up myself for a disappointment...

The only one I'm 100% sure is Guerilla with Horizon. Only because Shinobi hinted at it.

God of War / Santa Monica are PSX.

TLG (heh) and that mysterious JRPG are TGS.

Media Molecule and Bend are Gamescom.

Kyoufu

They're working on God of War 4. Their new IP was cancelled.

Lemondish

New Ubisoft/Naval/Sega/Soul Calibur (too unspecific, could range from AAA to indie except Soul Calibur)

Could be Ubisoft + Naval and Sega + Soul Calibur.

First makes sense given the AC series. Second sort of doesn't unless we're talking about a fighting game with weapons. Perhaps a subtle reference to a new VF with a twist?

Oh, gods. Verendus must love the knots we twist ourselves into.

Team ICO is going to be there, TLG is going to be there. I can feel it. Something about 2015 just feels special.

It's been five E3s FFS.. ;_;

It's just more pressure on Sony if TLG is another no-show. It already feels like the hullabaloo surrounding the game's troubled and elongated development has reached boiling point by this stage.

Turkoop

Banned
GAF is the most interesting thing about these events now. I've not even witnessed the future, but I'm already bored of E3, GC, TGS etc. So in a way, you're part of what's to be excited for.

You, and every other member of the GAF Universe. Because on GAF, no one ever gives up. And everyone has a right to voice their opinions. Love it or hate, that's what the GAF Universe is all about. That hustle. That loyalty. That respect.
OH verendus you make me cry <3

Is there a general hype thread for Sony at E3 this year, or is this it? I know proper OTs don't get made until closer to event (or release) date any more.

Is there a general hype thread for Sony at E3 this year, or is this it? I know proper OTs don't get made until closer to event (or release) date any more.

It would probably be this thread as people have discussed which third party devs may show something there as well.

Hasn't they been working on horizon 2+ years. I could be wrong but I could have swore they have 2 teams.

There are technically three Guerrilla studios. Two in the Netherlands and Cambridge in the UK. But the second studio in the Netherlands has been working on Horizon since 2010.

I think Horizon is going to blow fucking minds. Guerrilla were already a technical powerhouse, and I can't wait to see what they deliver with a massive open world, forest environments and fucking robot dinosaurs! Really hope it's Sony's big reveal at E3.

Probably all of the ones who haven't been at an E3 yet since those games should be 2 years down the line ready to be announced.

Then I expect all GG, San on top of that.

Third-party wise I see the new Quantic game out.

I think Horizon is going to blow fucking minds. Guerrilla were already a technical powerhouse, and I can't wait to see what they deliver with a massive open world, forest environments and fucking robot dinosaurs! Really hope it's Sony's big reveal at E3.

Hoping for a really cool Horizon reveal. No CGI or in-engine cut scene but gorgeous locations and great action involving those robo dinos.

All I need from Sony besides that is Bloodborne DLC, a stunning UC4 trailer and at least one other cool reveal, be it Media Molecule, Sony Japan or Bend.

God of War 4 please. That would sell more consoles than any other Sony IP.

I think Uncharted is a bigger franchise these days, but a spectacular GoW (hopefully in a new mythology) could definitely be a big pull. I expect an announcement trailer/teaser at best for E3 though. If we're gonna get gameplay this year, it'll probably be at PSX.

Feindflug

I want them to focus on a deep combat system that could rival Japan, without using QTEs. Whether or not Kratos is back, I am sure they can make it work in a new or old setting.

That's not gonna happen, the franchise is known (and loved by many people) for the accessible combat system that relies on the wow factor rather than depth. Why would they change that? the game sells great as it is.

God of War 4 please. That would sell more consoles than any other Sony IP.

I believe SSM have already said they're not going to have anything to show at E3 this year. I expect, at best, we'll have a teaser reveal at PSX this year. I think it's not going to be released until early 2017 though.

I only want a new God of War if it's a new protagonist and a completely new setting.

I agree but I doubt they're going to get rid of Kratos. I fully expect they'll go for a new mythology though - hopefully Norse or Egyptian. My interest will be immeasurably low if they go for ancient Greece yet again.

If Guerilla shows a new IP then i hope it's not that dino robot shit.The concept seems very silly to me.

bad-memory-gif.gif

If Guerilla shows a new IP then i hope it's not that dino robot shit.The concept seems very silly to me.

ZARFDux.gif

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Excited (and hopeful) for Robodinos, Sony Bend's Horror game and Sony Japan's JRPG. Hopefully will get to hear about Quantum Dream and Level 5 stuffs too

ZARFDux.gif

Excited (and hopeful) for Robodinos, Sony Bend's Horror game and Sony Japan's JRPG. Hopefully will get to hear about Quantum Dream and Level 5 stuffs too

It is a silly concept. But that's also what makes it so damn good. It reminds me a lot of older game design where something didn't necessarily have to make sense, it just needed to be fun and look cool.

cheesekao

I believe SSM have already said they're not going to have anything to show at E3 this year. I expect, at best, we'll have a teaser reveal at PSX this year. I think it's not going to be released until early 2017 though.
Well many years ago David Jaffe said that he wasn't going to announce anything at E3 and we all know how that went. Maybe the Jaffe blood in still in SSM in one way or another.

Nah, Horizon sounds potentially ace. I hope it takes off commercially so that Guerrilla or Sony may finally be convinced that Killzone is not a franchise worth spending anymore time or money on. Sorry, but I've played Shadow Fall and Mercenary, and that's enough for me to make up my mind and state that it is borderline miraculous that the series has gone on as long as it has. It is mediocrity defined; so unbelievably average.

So yeah, I hope Horizon blows socks The open-world angle does little to excite me since so many AAA games abide by that structural design now, but a third-person RPG starring a redheaded broad that isn't character-created in a setting replete with giant robot dinosaurs? That's something I can get behind.

Bahlor

ZARFDux.gif

Also very excited for GGs new game. I'm always thinking of those MASK dinosaurs^^

However... does Ready at Dawn count? As I actually really liked The Order 1886 and I'm quite curious if we will see something new like a story dlc.

It is a silly concept. But that's also what makes it so damn good. It reminds me a lot of older game design where something didn't necessarily have to make sense, it just needed to be fun and look cool.

I agree, but then what even makes it a silly concept? I'm forever seeing announcements of new AAA titles on GAF welcomed to collective groans proclaiming how titles aren't original anymore, the settings they're using aren't interesting enough or a combination of the two and more.

Now we have a potential big budget new IP with an unconventional backdrop, and the concept is being dismissed by many as ridiculous? Eh, I don't understand gamers, but I agree that it doesn't need to make sense, it just needs to be fun.

Well many years ago David Jaffe said that he wasn't going to announce anything at E3 and we all know how that went. Maybe the Jaffe blood in still in SSM in one way or another.

Well, Corey Barlog has only been back at the studio since August 2013, so it seems too soon to be able to show anything substantial yet. PSX will be six months after E3 so I think that's a bit more realistic, but I'm not really interested in having 18 months of hype, so I'd probably rather they wait until E3 next year and have a massive gameplay blow-out. I don't think they'll be able to resist at least a teaser this year though. I can totally see a CGI trailer closing either E3 or PSX.

However... does Ready at Dawn count? As I actually really liked The Order 1886 and I'm quite curious if we will see something new like a story dlc.

I suspect any DLC for TO1886 was knocked on the head with the game's poor sales. I really hope Sony green lights a sequel, but both they and RAD need to take it back to the drawing board and rework a lot of the game from the ground up.

Sotha_Sil

Hopefully Guerilla shows up with that sci-fi RPG. I'm curious as to what Bend and Studio Japan are up to. Don't care about the rest.

I have to imagine all three of those will be there considering we haven't seen much from any of the studios since Knack, KZ:SF, and the Uncharted Vita game (sorry can't remember the name).

With Gamescom not taking place anymore (the Conference) im not sure how this will affect Sony´s E3 Show

On the hand, it looks like there will be a massive Third Party Section (Star Wars, COD, AC, MadMax, MGS V, FF or Kingdom Hearts, Batman, Destiny) on the other hand, there are many first party studios left that should present their titles this year (Guerilla Games, Sony Bend, Sony Japan, Polyphoni Digital, Media Molecule, Santa Monica)

Atleast Horizon from Guerilla Games is a given at this momemt

I agree, but then what even makes it a silly concept? I'm forever seeing announcements of new AAA titles on GAF welcomed to collective groans proclaiming how titles aren't original anymore, the settings they're using aren't interesting enough or a combination of the two and more.

Now we have a potential big budget new IP with an unconventional backdrop, and the concept is being dismissed by many as ridiculous? Eh, I don't understand gamers, but I agree that it doesn't need to make sense, it just needs to be fun.
Honestly, I think it just comes down to some people don’t like out there, fantasy/non realistic stories and dismiss them as being silly. You see it a lot in all sci-fi threads and I have never understood it. Yes, it may seem ‘silly’ in our world but the main point is that it isn’t our world, and for us what may seem silly is a fact of every day life in these worlds and wouldn’t be treated as such since it is their norm.

I mean, im sure for the ‘silly’ robo dinosaur hunters they would think sitting around all day, sending messages to random people to complain about things they like would be sill :p

I think it's about time for GG's new IP to shine, my money's on that being showcased finally.

Didn't shinobi say it could have been unveiled last E3, but Sony decided to hold it back so more work could be done for a better impression?

Could be another Bloodborne situation; i.e. the game could have been unveiled @ TGS 2013, it was originally planned for it (hence DemonNite's excited hints & riddles), but Sony held back and waited until E3 2014. The end result was a much more polished looking game.

Restraint. It's a good thing these days.
That's why when TLG is finally shown it will probably melt minds. ;)

Didn't shinobi say it could have been unveiled last E3, but Sony decided to hold it back so more work could be done for a better impression?

Could be another Bloodborne situation; i.e. the game could have been unveiled @ TGS 2013, it was originally planned for it (hence DemonNite's excited hints & riddles), but Sony held back and waited until E3 2014. The end result was a much more polished looking game.

I just hope they actually show the game instead of going lolcloseddoors like with Bloodborne

I just hope they actually show the game instead of going lolcloseddoors like with Bloodborne

Yeah, that was a strange decision. BB was 'unveiled' a mere 9 months prior to release and all it got at Sony's show was a cinematic. Could have been a great opportunity to show the audience some gameplay. Obviously we got that as E3 went on, but the stage was a great opportunity for that IMO.

I understand the importance of 3rd parties, but 30 minutes of Far Cry , AssCreed, etc. just really drags those shows down for me. If HORIZON is unveiled, I really hope they dig into some of the world and gameplay... you know, get people really excited about it beyond just a 1 minute cinematic + logo.
Then again, they'll probably need that precious time during their show for 20 minutes of batmobile footage from Arkham Knight.

Just look at it

60ade0f3jw1eke6j0zwa5epueo.jpg

60ade0f3jw1eke6cw8t7bzfuah.jpg

60ade0f3jw1eke6m65xijuju4e.jpg

I'm not saying that it's silly in a negative way. I like that it's so damn ridiculous. We need more games like it that just decide to embrace what games can be like and just go crazy.

Sesha

I'm gonna say, all of the ones in the OP. I've never thrown out a prediction regarding game studios at E3. Nor for Team Ico, and everybody gets one. I'm using mine. No regrets.

Hopefully Guerilla shows up with that sci-fi RPG. I'm curious as to what Bend and Studio Japan are up to. Don't care about the rest.

I have to imagine all three of those will be there considering we haven't seen much from any of the studios since Knack, KZ:SF, and the Uncharted Vita game (sorry can't remember the name).

Japan Studio's last game(s): Knack (November 2013), Puppeteer (September 2013)
Sony Bend's last game: Uncharted: Golden Abyss (February 2012), Uncharted: Fight for Fortune (December 2012) NB - FfF was most likely a small project and was developed in conjunction with a studio called One Loop Games
Guerrilla's last game: Killzone: Shadow Fall (November 2013), Killzone Mercenary (September 2013)

I think Bend are relatively small, but as it's been over three years since their last game they're probably going to be ready to show something this year (EDIT - when I say 'this year' I don't necessarily mean E3). I imagine Horizon only entered full production after Shadow Fall released, but with 200+ staff working on it for well over 18 months, I think it's definitely going to show up this year, even though I suspect a late 2016 launch. Japan Studio is probably the least predictable development house there, as I don't know how Becker's restructure went, and they've been surprisingly coy even on projects we know about (i.e. Gravity Rush 2).

With Gamescom not taking place anymore (the Conference) im not sure how this will affect Sony´s E3 Show

On the hand, it looks like there will be a massive Third Party Section (Star Wars, COD, AC, MadMax, MGS V, FF or Kingdom Hearts, Batman, Destiny) on the other hand, there are many first party studios left that should present their titles this year (Guerilla Games, Sony Bend, Sony Japan, Polyphoni Digital, Media Molecule, Santa Monica)

Atleast Horizon from Guerilla Games is a given at this momemt

From a coverage point of view I can see Sony giving 80% of their time at E3 to third party games like Metal Gear, Battlefront, Destiny etc, and then going balls deep with first party stuff at PSX. I don't want it to be that way as I'm not interested in seeing marketing deals tie up the conferences at E3, but from a mass-market perspective getting the PS4 associated with all of these brands would definitely be worth their while.

I was really pleased we only had 8 months of hype for Bloodborne, and I hope Sony does this more. It's plenty of time for a full marketing cycle and it doesn't leave us hanging for years at a time like we've seen in the past with BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Crackdown, The Last Guardian etc. I'd like them to move away from doing this with their digital releases too - the likes of Rime, Helldivers and Wild were all revealed way too early. I'd prefer conferences to focus on games that are definitely going to be out in the next 12 months.

Also very excited for GGs new game. I'm always thinking of those MASK dinosaurs^^

Yea, me too. The Order 1886 story DLC and Bloodborne DLC will be sweet

I want them to focus on a deep combat system that could rival Japan, without using QTEs. Whether or not Kratos is back, I am sure they can make it work in a new or old setting.
exactly what i was hoping for. because right now DMC and Bayonetta are dominating the hack and slash scene.

Top Bottom