• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR hardware will be the one to go with?

I would say PSVR, but I'm not sure if I trust Sony to adequately support a peripheral past the first year or so. Their track record certainly isn't great.

As for Vive and Oculus, everytime someone talks about them they sound like really amazing experiences and a significant step above PSVR. But the software lineup just isn't there yet.

Who am I kidding, I'm probably gonna end up with all three.

This support position is a position that many have not really researched well the PSVR will get tons of support. You don't have to rely on Sony content alone to receive games and experiences. PSVR, Oculus, and Vive are all Using Unity, UE4, and Crytek VR middleware and since the PS4 is synonymous to PC architecture porting is very easy.

THERE ARE 3 COMPANIES MAKING ITS WAY INTO VR THIS YEAR. Not one company begging for MOVE, Kincet support from developers.

taken from gameinformer interview
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=2

Shuei Yoshida

Of course, we have so many developers we have great relationships with – especially the last few years, where our focus has been to support the indie developers. We are such a big fan of small, new novelties and creative games coming from indie communities, and we are working closely with middleware companies like Unity, Unreal, and Crytek. It’s been natural to us to be able to say to these communities that now they have an option to make a VR game. And it’s okay for them to start by making a prototype on PC using Oculus because the Rift was already available to purchase, but as long as they are using middleware like Unreal or Unity, it’s going to be so easy to bring it over to PS VR.

That was before we were able to supply enough PS VR development kits. Now, we can supply in abundance, so some developers may choose to start their development on PS4 for PS VR instead of porting over from PC. Like we support indies who work on PC first for Steam, we have no problem and are very excited to work with developers who are working on any VR experience whether it’s on PC or mobile. We can say that they can move their game to PS VR as well and we’ll support the effort. That’s how we are approaching it.

Of course, we’d like to see our major triple-A publishers to start working on PS VR content as well, and you have seen some efforts and demos released, especially from Japanese publishers like Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega, and Square Enix. That’s great, and I hope more will be done; like Ubisoft was showing Trackmania on PS VR during E3 already. The larger publishers, because of their enormous resources, they tend to wait for the market to mature before they can justify investing on a larger scale, but I’m very optimistic that this will come.

PSVR is a complete non-option (even if I owned PS4 it wouldn't be an option) and Eve Valkyrie is exclusive to Rift on PC, so Rift it is. We'll see where technology and games go from there, but Eve Valkyrie is my #1 interest in VR currently, so Rift is where I'll go.

PSVR is a complete non-option (even if I owned PS4 it wouldn't be an option) and Eve Valkyrie is exclusive to Rift on PC, so Rift it is. We'll see where technology and games go from there, but Eve Valkyrie is my #1 interest in VR currently, so Rift is where I'll go.

I hate to inform you that EVE Valkyrie is also coming to PSVR at launch. It's just a pack in for Oculus. And also it looks pretty damn good on the PSVR.

Lingitiz

This support position is a position that many have not really researched well the PSVR will get tons of support. You don't have to rely on Sony content alone to receive games and experiences. PSVR, Oculus, and Vive are all Using Unity, UE4, and Crytek VR middleware and since the PS4 is synonymous to PC architecture porting is very easy.

I'm looking for first party exclusives to set it apart. The hardware itself is inferior to the two other headsets, so really I want to see first party teams at Sony making actual killer apps. If we end up with another Vita situation where it's mainly an indie device, that doesn't do much for me. I'll opt for a superior experience on one of the other two headsets.

I hate to inform you that EVE Valkyrie is also coming to PSVR at launch. It's just a pack in for Oculus. And also it looks pretty damn good on the PSVR.

He means that it's exclusive to the Oculus and won't be on the Vive.

"I hate to inform you that EVE Valkyrie is also coming to PSVR at launch. It's just a pack in for Oculus. And also it looks pretty damn good on the PSVR."

Note: "Exclusive to Rift on PC." I'll admit I could word that better, but I'm aware that it's going to be available for PSVR as well. There is no universe in which I'd pick PSVR over Rift or Vive.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Star VR will ultimately wind up being the best out of all of them IMO. The super wide FOV alone makes it superior to Rift, Vive and PSVR

http://www.starvr.com/

I'm looking for first party exclusives to set it apart. The hardware itself is inferior to the two other headsets, so really I want to see first party teams at Sony making actual killer apps. If we end up with another Vita situation where it's mainly an indie device, that doesn't do much for me. I'll opt for a superior experience on one of the other two headsets.

He means that it's exclusive to the Oculus and won't be on the Vive.

I never understand this exclusive argument, it falls on def ears everytime I hear people proclaim its a major reason for a purchase.

MaDKaT

I feel like if you've got a PS4, it's a no-brainer to get the PSVR. But I mostly play PC, my computer was far overdue for an upgrade anyway, and is still going to suffice for a few years. 980ti babyyyyyy

Looking forward to getting a good PS4+PSVR bundle in a few years time, though. What a windfall that's going to be. Games all over my face.

I agree. I also see PSVR as the litmus test for VRs viability. Just seems poised better for mass adoption which will be good for Oculus and Vive. Just been itching for a new desktop (been mobile/laptop for 10+ years) and VR is really driving that desire.

Lingitiz

I never understand this exclusive argument, it falls on def ears everytime I hear people proclaim its a major reason for a purchase.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand. The major advantages of the PSVR are accessibility and Sony's backing. But it is also the weaker hardware, so you have the weigh the positives and negatives.

I want to see Sony do what HTC/Valve and Oculus to a lesser extent cannot: leverage their teams and make big budget games that make it worth overlooking the downsides of the PSVR relative to the two other headsets.

Star VR will ultimately wind up being the best out of all of them IMO. The super wide FOV alone makes it superior to Rift, Vive and PSVR

Was reading up on them the other day, though the super fov is cool they have like one game announced so far that they're (Starbreeze) developing internally, a walking dead shooter tie-in, not the most interesting thing for vr imo. Also those that have tried it say it suffers from light smear due to the special ridged lenses used for it, hopefully they can find a way to mitigate that in later iterations cause that kind of artifact would destroy immersion.

Also afaik they have no dedicated input solution yet. Skeptical it'll be up to snuff in the quality and content lineup areas compared to the other hmds. Time will tell.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Getting all of em likely.

Definitely getting the PSVR, and Definiey getting either one or both of the Rift and Vive.that said if the Rift is made obsolete by the Vive or vice versa I will only get one.

Either way I plan on building an absolute monster rig for VR when it launches. Losing myself completely in games like Star Citizen, Elite Horizons, Alien Isolation, and whatever other games are supported at the time.

I also plan on buying Hololens providing it is a decent price.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen that comment about 5 times and no rebuttal.

I already also said that it's s pointless argument. PC people were always going to buy Vive/Rift and the PS is obvious. I'm not sure why this has to be a negative or perceived as such.

PS4 inherently has limited VR support due to the low power nature of the console, and the fact it's a console means there aren't going to be nearly as many indie VR projects popping up. That's not to say there won't be any, just like there are some indie games on consoles, but it's not unsafe to think most are going to be limited to PC.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about VR on PS4. A console just brings too many limitations to the table. But that doesn't mean much coming from me since I don't like consoles in the first place.

(And that's not even getting into questions about compatibility with PS5, I doubt Sony is crazy enough to force people to upgrade their VR set/box with their console, but these are the same people that decided charging for online play was a good idea).

I'm not sure what's hard to understand. The major advantages of the PSVR are accessibility and Sony's backing. But it is also the weaker hardware, so you have the weigh the positives and negatives.

I want to see Sony do what HTC/Valve and Oculus to a lesser extent cannot: leverage their teams and make big budget games that make it worth overlooking the downsides of the PSVR relative to the two other headsets.

I'm talking exclusives as whole, I just don't understand someone buying something based on 1 company providing for the device. It doesn't make since to me.

"I'm only buying this product if the manufacture supports it" If that is your position you will be getting games from Sony 1 game a quarter if that, it makes no since to me at all. Especially when all 3 manufactures are using the same Middleware.

Arulan

The HTC Vive, as far as the information we currently know, appears to offer the best experience. It'll also likely be priced at a premium, but that's the one I'm more than likely to buy.

It beats the others on 1 spec only, and that spec (5K display for large FOV) requires power that almost nobody has. I'd be surprised if they're even planning on selling it to consumers, it seems like something for events. There's a reason the brightest minds in VR aren't going for crazy cutting edge 4K screens. People need to be able to power it. Developers needs to be able to target it.

Bsigg12

PSVR still has Summer Lesson (which I brought up in a thread wrongly last time so I apologize for that) so...yeah.

Summer Lesson was shown at the Vive Developers conference in China last week so it may be coming to PC as well. We all know that mods will make that the worst/best version.

Sinoox

Banned
I'd probably say the Vive, but I don't know if I trust Valve after the Steambox. Oculus already has the most confirmed support, so you couldn't go wrong with one of their headsets.

The PS VR is going to end up like the Move, I just don't think Sony can effectively support more than one platform at once. The limitations of the PS4 are detrimental to its ability to keep up with Steam and Oculus's headsets.

I'll eventually buy 2 headsets but I will buy PSVR first at launch. The lineup Sony ha e for PSVR look more promising right now. If the others take off to be success I'll buy it 2 years down the line.

PSVR

This is the safe bet if you already have a PS4. Due to price and easy of use it will have the largest market share and you will have guaranteed support for games for years to come. You'll also have a good selection of exclusive titles allowing the console to hold its own even if it's PC counterparts can offer up better visuals. However from what I've heard, games like RIGGS hold up surprisingly well.

HTC Vive

This is the riskiest pick. The Vive looks to be the best bet for VR at any expense. It should offer up the best technical overall VR experience although the Rift should surpass it with some hand centered games. It also looks like the Vive will have fewer exclusives. I expect that due to cost the Vive will have the smallest market share of the three. Unless money is no object for you I'd hold off on the Vive.

Oculus Rift

Safe bet if you already own a good gaming PC. The Vive will cut costs by not offering the hand controllers with the base purchase. This will offer up an easier PC VR entry point than the Vive. Oculus also appears to be courting some exclusive development so I would expect it to beat the Vive in this area.

---

I think for someone who is just curious about VR and not totally sold, the best bet would be to get the PSVR and then wait to see how everything else falls out. The PSVR will be both the cheapest solution and the one guaranteed to get support. The lure of the large PSVR install base relative to the others will mean that if at all possible developers will strive to get their game/app to work on the platform. A year or two after purchase you can be assured that the launch day PSVR will still be relevant and the picture on the PC side will be much clearer. If you are still hooked on VR at that time there will be great specialized PC GPU and other hardware specifically designed with VR in mind that you could pick up.

AmyS

I don't think anyone can answer that with much authority, but there was a lot of rye in that last Manhattan, so I feel qualified to give it a go:

The current PSVR is a test run to determine whether PS5 incorporates VR out of the box or not. If PSVR is successful and VR as a whole takes off, then there will be a next gen PSVR either included with or supported at launch by PS5, possibly a 4k panel or something with foveated rendering or both. If PSVR bombs expect nothing. Somewhere in between, maybe a degree of backward compatibility, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of next year's headsets still being actively developed for post-2019.

This is very much like my own thinking on the subject.

Great post, I agree with your thoughts on things hinging on upcoming VR for PS4 and next-gen with PS5 with its own possible next gen, maybe 4K, PSVR.

Arkam

If you want to PLAY VR games in 2016 there is really only one option... PSVR. (And it looks/feels great) Yes it console exclusive (for now at least) but it WILL have games to play.

Everything else looks like it will leave you testing/developing until 2017.

my $.02

Durante

I've had access to seated/standing VR for quite a long time now.

I'm ready for the next step (room-scale), which is what the Vive is specifically designed to provide.

If you want to PLAY VR games in 2016 there is really only one option... PSVR.
What in the flying fuck.

BumRush

I'm getting a psvr because I'm already a big part of the ps ecosystem. I'll spend $300 or whatever on it but I'm not going to build a gaming PC just to play VR.

Saganator

I'm gonna wait until both PSVR and Oculus are out and I'll compare the two. Leaning towards Oculus due it being on the PC. I also want to try one of them out before buying, want to make sure I don't get motion sickness.

BumRush

PSVR

This is the safe bet if you already have a PS4. Due to price and easy of use it will have the largest market share and you will have guaranteed support for games for years to come. You'll also have a good selection of exclusive titles allowing the console to hold its own even if it's PC counterparts can offer up better visuals. However from what I've heard, games like RIGGS hold up surprisingly well.

HTC Vive

This is the riskiest pick. The Vive looks to be the best bet for VR at any expense. It should offer up the best technical overall VR experience although the Rift should surpass it with some hand centered games. It also looks like the Vive will have fewer exclusives. I expect that due to cost the Vive will have the smallest market share of the three. Unless money is no object for you I'd hold off on the Vive.

Oculus Rift

Safe bet if you already own a good gaming PC. The Vive will cut costs by not offering the hand controllers with the base purchase. This will offer up an easier PC VR entry point than the Vive. Oculus also appears to be courting some exclusive development so I would expect it to beat the Vive in this area.

---

I think for someone who is just curious about VR and not totally sold, the best bet would be to get the PSVR and then wait to see how everything else falls out. The PSVR will be both the cheapest solution and the one guaranteed to get support. The lure of the large PSVR install base relative to the others will mean that if at all possible developers will strive to get their game/app to work on the platform. A year or two after purchase you can be assured that the launch day PSVR will still be relevant and the picture on the PC side will be much clearer. If you are still hooked on VR at that time there will be great specialized GPU and other hardware specifically designed with VR in mind that you could pick up.

This is a great post

Sinoox

Banned
If you want to PLAY VR games in 2016 there is really only one option... PSVR. (And it looks/feels great) Yes it console exclusive (for now at least) but it WILL have games to play.

my $.02

No there's definitely more than one option. Oculus has the most support, therefor they are the obvious choice. Sony is only bringing the PSVR to market in case VR takes off, which it won't initially. I really think it'll just end up like the Move or Vita, they aren't going to waste their time with it. Not to mention the hardware of the PS4 limits it and the design of the headset is ridiculous. It also looks like they expect people to buy the Move just to use the thing and Sony is not good with bundles.

my $.02

Black-Girl-Wat.jpg

OneUh8

I'll be getting a PSVR. I don't have a pc to run VR and have no plans to build one. Ps4 and xbox one satisfy my gaming needs. So myou choice is easy :)

SuoGrey

Psvr right out the gate and if drivers don't drop for it then i'll grab the Vive. Currently set on both fronts with a more than capable pc and a ps4. Room might be a problem though..

Would love to jump on PSVR because I don't really have a gaming PC, plus Sony has some great games coming out with PSVR support. If I did have a good enough rig, I would probably jump on the Rift though.

I just hope the PSVR isn't priced ridiculously high. Guess we are just going ot have to wait and see

my $.02
lol what? There are already over 70 games on Steam with VR support (and over 200 with support coming or elsewhere). There are over 1000 VR games/demos on Oculus Share (are those developers just going to stop once the consumer version is out and they can actually sell their stuff?). I've already put hundreds of hours into rift gaming before the consumer version is even out, and not just demos and experiments, meaty games like Elite, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars and you're telling me next year I'll magically have nothing and Sony will have everything? Clueless.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

my $.02

Joke post? You should take a look at the oculus store.

-Horizon-

Yep, when Harada twetted it the thread was already closed.

IHS predictions for VR install base by end of 2016-
From ZhugeEX,

after I saw that they were still the only site to have said it, I just PM'd a mod to lock it down before people got the wrong idea

KTallguy

Banned
I think PSVR, although not as crazy technically as some of the other choices, has the greatest chance of going mainstream:

1. If you have a PS4, it will just work. Other VR solutions need technical knowledge to make sure framerates are high enough. If they aren't, the headset will make you sick.

2. Cost. Building an adequate PC is around 900 dollars. You can get a PS4 with the VR for less than that.

3. Branding. Dare I say that Playstation is a bigger mainstream brand than Oculus or Vive.

I'm buying a PSVR at launch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Take a look at the size of the software library for the Oculus development kits and you'll perhaps understand where some people are coming from in this context.

Basically this. The hardcore PC gamers with a gamer pc are in around the 140 million ranges. And then the various non-gaming applications will really push it towards the non-gamers too. There are already a healthy number of Gear VR users, playing games and watching netflix movies on their devices. I think Gear VR and Oculus Rift will form an Oculus ecosystem which provides the developers a healthy install base for them to sell their contents.

Occam

PSVR seems like a good choice, since I enjoy physical game ownership and already have a PS4, a PS Camera and even several Move controllers. I just haven't decided if I want it at launch. If there are enough must-play titles, then probably yes.

I wonder if people realize, but I think the gap between PC VR and PS VR will be much wider than it is for normal games. Hardware limitations are going to be very tight for VR titles (Even with async timewarp), and the tracking is not as accurate (especially in the hands). The caveat being that the best experiences are going to require the best hardware. To truly be at the high end of the fidelity-gap, you're looking to spend twice as much money. You'll also to have to make the space in your house to have room for movement (but even 3ftsquared space infront of your desk will suffice).

PSVR games are almost completely limited to seated games, though. That's a pretty big dealbreaker for me, were it not for exclusives.

Blastoise

Banned
Facebook better make deals with graphics card companies, because the buy in cost for Oculus is too high. Especially if you don't own a PC.

Top Bottom