• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White news anchor uses n-word, gets fired, black anchors does same is spared, sues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri

I'm very curious to see how this trial plays out. While I generally understand that the historical background of the word gives it different meanings, depending on who is saying it, if this man was terminated for saying it, while others of a different race weren't, then the the company has applied a policy based only on race. In any other context, applying a policy exclusively to one race would be actionable and discriminatory.

Furyous

What I chose to say to members of MY ETHNIC BACKGROUND is not any of YOUR business. If two people from insert ethnic background choose to say insert word(s) that are a part of their culture to one another then that is fine. When someone uses those words then it's a fireable offense. This isn't up for debate. If anyone has the heart to say it then they accept the social and professional ramifications of those actions.

Of course not, nor should it. If there's a news story about gay marriage on the TV and my friend makes some remark about "fags" I'd feel uncomfortable but if a gay friend used that word I wouldn't have the same reaction.

Agreed, and that was kind of my point. The scenario you mentioned wasn't the best example because it's not really applicable to the n-word when placed in a similar scenario.

why would it be unacceptable for two white people to compare their dieting stories and then say "God, we're still such niggers eh?", that sounds perfectly acceptable!

I think you're joking? I hope you're joking. lol

Just to recap to see if we are on the same page -

nB2pEon.png

Good night and good luck.
fixed.

royalan

Just to recap to see if we are on the same page -

I asked who should use the word nigger. When I asked this, I was challenging your assertion that nigger has truly been transformed into something positive.
In reply you said that black people should use the word nigger.
I pointed out that this is inherently exclusionary.
You said you don't care.
I said then what's the point, because logically, an argument for exclusion seems to be identical to an argument for racism.

Good night and good luck.

Or, it could be respect for a culture that is not your own, or that you don't fully understand.

Like, would you be upset if you weren't invited to participate in any other aspect of another group's culture? Does everything have to be inclusive to you?

Can we get a head count of white people here writing "nigger" or "nigga" in their posts which express disapproval of this guy in the story? Particularly given this portion?

Well, on a very superficial level, it's hard to know whether someone is talking about "nigger" or "nigga" when they say "the n word" or "n*****".

In addition, no one here was using it in a weird, kinda-joking, kinda "finally I can say this word" sense that Burlington did.

Cagey

Banned
What.

Honest question, because I sincerely don't understand this. What is the reason for the distinction between emailing and speaking to the HR person, given the context is identical, and the only difference is the medium. Not even tone or use.

Applied here, you'd expect some white posters lecturing others in this thread here to say n-word in person, while maintaining no issue with typing it out here. Same context.

That sort of logic sure as shit wouldn't fly anywhere I've studied or worked in my life.

Didn't notice this. I'm surprised the lawsuit wasn't just dismissed due to this. Seems like the only defense that FOX needs.

I imagine being signed to a contract but not getting a chance to go on air for that long of a period can be pretty damaging to someones career.

Izuna

Banned
What.

Honest question, because I sincerely don't understand this. What is the reason for the distinction between emailing and speaking to the HR person, given the context is identical, and the only difference is the medium. Not even tone or use.

Applied here, you'd expect some white posters lecturing others in this thread here to say n-word in person, while maintaining no issue with typing it out here. Same context.

That sort of logic sure as shit wouldn't fly anywhere I've studied or worked in my life.

You should try to extrapolate views you don't understand if you want to find a way to understand a line of thought.

What is the difference between writing n-word and nigga? When we both know exactly the intention or meaning of what we are typing?

What.

there is no tone in text. i mean, maybe if you print it... i really don't understand how you are confused at all by this.

Aselith

Saying "the n-word" is some nonsense. Like your grandma saying bullpucky. That bitch means bullshit and we all know it. The guy said it in a context where they were having a discussion about the use of the word. That's hardly anything to go insane and fire him over.

Of

I think the implication is he was asking if white people could finally use the word. At best it's an inappropriate joke, only he then doubled down on it when asked about it later.

Huh, why?

He's in a room full of news people of various races.

"Does this mean we can finally..."

Why would WE refer to white people and not the group of newscasters?

Again, he's talking to a group of mixed race and using we.

The group does not have race in common.

The group does have news casting in common though.

His tone is what matters, but based on the text alone, you can read it two ways

1) does this mean white people can say the word, because the naacp used it once hundred times
Or
2) does this mean we, the news reporters,. can say nigger during the segment because we are reporting on an event where the express topic was the word nigger and bringing attention to the use of that word?

1 is obviously wrong. I see nothing wrong with 2, do you?

Syriel

I'm very curious to see how this trial plays out. While I generally understand that the historical background of the word gives it different meanings, depending on who is saying it, if this man was terminated for saying it, while others of a different race weren't, then the the company has applied a policy based only on race. In any other context, applying a policy exclusively to one race would be actionable and discriminatory.

These two quotes from the story will be the most damaging to Fox:

Surrick wrote in last month’s memorandum that an African American employee who was likewise asked to give an account of the staff meeting “used the epithet several times in the email that he sent” to the station’s management. “He was not disciplined.”

Surrick, in a memorandum published in October, wrote that “[t]he evidence suggests that when Evans intervened, the investigation was largely complete and the final determination made that Plaintiff would be put back on the air.”

Given that Surrick is the judge, I don't think the factual basis of those statements can be questioned. They have likely already been found to be facts of the case.

Izuna

Banned
Saying "the n-word" is some nonsense. Like your grandma saying bullpucky. That bitch means bullshit and we all know it. The guy said it in a context where they were having a discussion about the use of the word. That's hardly anything to go insane and fire him over.

My assumption is that they were trying to tell him to stop saying it, and didn't want to have a discussion on a progressive view of equality. He carried on trying to have the conversation, which was the same reason why he was in the meeting the first place, and such they fired him.

Huh, why?

1) does this mean white people can say the word, because the naacp used it once hundred times
Or
2) does this mean we, the news reporters,. can say nigger during the segment because we are reporting on an event where the express topic was the word nigger and bringing attention to the use of that word?

Since we're doing an examination of language and context, what do you make of the use of "finally"?

vypek

On July 12, 2007, management told Burlington his contract would not be renewed.

Burlington never returned to the station. He was paid through the end of his contract, which expired on Feb 19, 2008

His contract expired so its not quite like firing him.

Since we're doing an examination of language and context, what do you make of the use of "finally"?

For all we know, they'd had a discussion about use of the word in the past and the reporter wanted to know if this specific event finally allowed an end to the censorship by the news station.

But none of us can know that from the article.

The court will though, and it will affect how they rule

Cagey

Banned
there is no tone in text. i mean, maybe if you print it... i really don't understand how you are confused at all by this.
No tone in text? What sort of tone, other than cold fact, would "Yes, sir, I said (insert any word or phrase)" said to an HR person investigating a workplace incident have differentiating it from an email? Glee? Pride? Smug satisfaction that the white dude got to say it again but under the guise of some "just the facts ma'am" shit?

Alright, I get it.

Acting like the nonsensical and illogical is self explanatory, absolving oneself of the need to provide some logical explanation, is one of the staples of OT discussion. Tired shit.

royalan

My assumption is that they were trying to tell him to stop saying it, and didn't want to have a discussion on a progressive view of equality. He carried on trying to have the conversation, which was the same reason why he was in the meeting the first place, and such they fired him.

That's the impression I got from the story as well, that he continued being bullheaded about it when he should have just left it alone, and that's what rubbed people the wrong way.

Reminds me of this scene from the Boondocks.
(actually, it's pretty funny how well this clip fits for this situation)

NH Apache

Banned
If the white judge discusses the word in the courtroom, will he get pulled in by Fox HR?

In all seriousness, this trial would be enjoyable to watch if only to see everyone tippy toe around the word.

No tone in text? What sort of tone, other than cold fact, would "Yes, sir, I said (insert any word or phrase)" said to an HR person investigating a workplace incident have differentiating it from an email? Glee? Pride? Smug satisfaction that the white dude got to say it again but under the guise of some "just the facts ma'am" shit?

Alright, I get it.

Acting like the nonsensical and illogical is self explanatory, absolving oneself of the need to provide some logical explanation, is one of the staples of OT discussion. Tired shit.

it must be tiring, you're so good at it. you must be exhausted!

BajiBoxer

Banned
I don't know if it's because I'm tired or the article was poorly written, but I'm a bit confused about this staff meeting. Depending on how it was going it was either him pushing hard against opposition to be able to say the word in a news story, the meeting was taking forever and he was exasperated, or he was making a really stupid unfunny joke.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired or the article was poorly written, but I'm a bit confused about this staff meeting. Depending on how it was going it was either him pushing hard against opposition to be able to say the word in a news story, the meeting was taking forever and he was exasperated, or he was making a really stupid unfunny joke.

I'm still a little confused, TBH. It sounds like Fox/the station was covering the NAACP's symbolic funeral for "the n-word"?

Frog-fu

Banned
What I chose to say to members of MY ETHNIC BACKGROUND is not any of YOUR business. If two people from insert ethnic background choose to say insert word(s) that are a part of their culture to one another then that is fine. When someone uses those words then it's a fireable offense. This isn't up for debate. If anyone has the heart to say it then they accept the social and professional ramifications of those actions.

It's literally not your business if you use any such language at work, which is what this case is about. It doesn't (and nor should it) matter if you use it when talking to coworkers of the same ethnic background as you. It's curious you don't seem to get this and yet caution against potential professional ramifications.

it's because the article was written based solely on the account of the guy doing the suing and the information detailed in the suit by his lawyers.

Huh, why?

Or

his co-anchor wasn't at the meeting. who is this 'we' that can finally say it?

also....
One of the show’s producers, who is black, exclaimed, “I can’t believe you just said that!”
why can't the producer believe that he just said that? does the producer not have working ears?

wildfire

Banned
The article is pretty good at laying down all the facts.

Usually someone asking what the reporter said is usually an asshole. Even after considering that he went straight to his supervisor, instead of his coworkers, after the meeting about that word; a thoughtful person would understand it's silly to ask that question.

Such a person would know it would create trouble on air and due to its history it would be unprofessional to say it at work just some other common slurs.

He wasn't even fired. Allowing his contract to expire was a classy move on the bosses part. I do roll my eyes at the coworkers for "fearing for their lives by being seen outside with the guy." Get outta here with that nonsense.

The reason he is suing is that the circumstances of why he was fired was to well known and poisoned a career he loved for 20 years. That is understandably a tough pill to swallow and I'm surprised such circumstances could sink a career.

He most likely won't win and shouldn't win.

Beyond that I want to touch on the point people are making on the usage of that word.

Either everyone should stop using it or everyone should be able to use it with consideration.

The whole idea of owning the word fails if you don't allow white people to use it because you are giving the negative connotations behind that word more power by making it taboo.

Due to its long history even if there wasn't this type of backlash for non-black people using it I don't think it's wise for anyone to say it. Even with less baggage than it has now it still is an ugly word and should be seen as unprofessional in a work environment and low class even in a social one.

Nephtis

I sure hope he wins.

Whether they were in the right for firing him -- or allowing his contract to end and not renew it -- doesn't matter.

What matters is that people allowed for that information to go outside of work, and people likely made mention of it to other news stations so they would not hire him. You don't do that sort of shit.

vypek

I sure hope he wins.

Whether they were in the right for firing him -- or allowing his contract to end and not renew it -- doesn't matter.

What matters is that people allowed for that information to go outside of work, and people likely made mention of it to other news stations so they would not hire him. You don't do that sort of shit.

It does matter. He'll need to show proof that is indeed went outside of work (aside from him talking about it). If he can prove that someone from FOX went out and told other stations as well as it being the deciding factor of not being hired -- that may help him. However, this kind of stuff happens in plenty of other fields as well. That is just how a lot of professional fields work. If a doctor somehow refuses to treat patients of particular background then he/she may be let go and its very possible other hospitals would not hire him/her because of it.

Besides, we don't know that this was exclusively the reason his contract was not renewed. An contract not renewed could be for a number of reasons.

Izuna

Banned
It does matter. He'll need to show proof that is indeed went outside of work (aside from him talking about it). If he can prove that someone from FOX went out and told other stations as well as it being the deciding factor of not being hired -- that may help him. However, this kind of stuff happens in plenty of other fields as well. That is just how a lot of professional fields work. If a doctor somehow refuses to treat patients of particular background then he/she may be let go and its very possible other hospitals would not hire him/her because of it.

Besides, we don't know that this was exclusively the reason his contract was not renewed. An contract not renewed could be for a number of reasons.

They should probably get a criminal record for uh, racist neglect, if there wasn't another doctor who was free to take over the patient in my opinion.

Nephtis

I meant that whether they were right in letting him go or not doesn't matter. It's a private issue, and he only made a stupid joke about it. According to the article he passed pretty much every task given to him, and he tried to mend things by apologizing. If they still wanted to let him go, that's fine, as it's their prerogative.

But the fact that any info of that incident went out to the street, effectively blackballing him, is what matters, and that stuff should not be allowed. I doubt he mentioned any of it to people, especially knowing what it would do to his career. Going by what I read on the article, it seems someone made it their goal to make sure the guy doesn't ever go back on air because of that incident. That to me is sue worthy.

vypek

They should probably get a criminal record for uh, racist neglect, if there wasn't another doctor who was free to take over the patient in my opinion.

Who knows. Maybe they would. I'm not sure how things would exactly work out in that situation. It just seems very normal to me that screw ups can follow people and especially so in a professional sense. For instance, if someone is a game dev that constantly fights with your co-workers, I wouldn't expect other companies to hire that person very quickly.

I meant that whether they were right in letting him go or not doesn't matter. It's a private issue, and he only made a stupid joke about it. According to the article he passed pretty much every task given to him, and he tried to mend things by apologizing. If they still wanted to let him go, that's fine, as it's their prerogative.

But the fact that any info of that incident went out to the street, effectively blackballing him, is what matters, and that stuff should not be allowed. I doubt he mentioned any of it to people, especially knowing what it would do to his career. Going by what I read on the article, it seems someone made it their goal to make sure the guy doesn't ever go back on air because of that incident. That to me is sue worthy.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Unfortunately, the incident going to the street is not something that is far fetched. (Assuming someone brought it out before he did). But "only" making a stupid joke can be very costly to someones career. Especially for a person who is somewhat public and recognized. Blackballing him from the industry would probably end up in a different lawsuit, I would think.

If someone truly made it their goal to screw him over, that would be pretty wrong but I'm not sure he can sue about the actual termination. Right?

Izuna

Banned
Who knows. Maybe they would. I'm not sure how things would exactly work out in that situation. It just seems very normal to me that screw ups can follow people and especially so in a professional sense. For instance, if someone is a game dev that constantly fights with your co-workers, I wouldn't expect other companies to hire that person very quickly.

Cases like what you mentioned is a terrible comparison, but brining it back to a land of relevancy, it would be a separate lawsuit he would have to sue them with.

One I very much doubt he would be able to win.

Massive boohoo to him and I'm sure his career was fucked up by it, hypocritical or not I don't see how his work place broke the law not wanting to write him another contract if they didn't like him working there because he was saying nigga.

Syriel

It wasn't just that the contract wasn't renewed. He was visibly held off air while his contract ran out.

According to the judge's own words, he was going to be reinstated to his position, except for his co-worker's continued insistence that he be let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom