• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whitehouse issues statement after Breitbart (Bannon) goes to war with McMasters

I understand that so whenever I get into these debates (mostly here) I try my best to respect the viewpoint of those (usually everyone) that disagrees with me. The real main point here is that Putin and others who see the USA and its influence as a threat aren't going to stop trying to tear it apart. Either we adapt to those threats or we collapse from within. Either way Putin wins.

The real solution, I think, is that we become a more social people. Right now the status quo is:
1) Do not talk religion or politics at work - it's unprofessional.
2) Teachers should be unbiased.
3) News stations should attempt to appear unbiased.

I think all of these things, and more, have to go. We have to encourage open conversation in the social sphere about the facts we are encountering on a daily basis. Because "alternative facts" are not the enemy - isolationism is. The dangerous individuals are not those who are simply exposed to these facts, but those whose worldview is completely controlled by them. The solution to extremism and isolationism is increased general exposure to different perspectives.

I'm a teacher, and I'm not allowed to say anything about anything at school. Hell, two of my schools wouldn't even let teachers mention evolution. This is how future generations become harmed.

h1nch

The real solution, I think, is that we become a more social people. Right now the status quo is:

I think all of these things, and more, have to go. We have to encourage open conversation in the social sphere about the facts we are encountering on a daily basis. Because "alternative facts" are not the enemy - isolationism is. The dangerous individuals are not those who are simply exposed to these facts, but those whose worldview is completely controlled by them. The solution to extremism and isolationism is increased general exposure to different perspectives.

I'm a teacher, and I'm not allowed to say anything about anything at school. Hell, two of my schools wouldn't even let teachers mention evolution. This is how future generations become harmed.

Discussing religion/politics over official work channels is incredibly unprofessional IMO

I don't know really, I feel personally like the problem is actually the opposite in that people have become too social, mostly through the internet. In the olden days if you had an awful opinion or belief you held it inside because it was socially unacceptable for you to explore those beliefs in most communities. In today's modern world though you're only a few clicks a way from finding someone that not only agrees with you but will reinforce you with even worse beliefs and encourage you to recruit others.

Now I don't believe that the answer to that problem in censorship or restricting the rights of people to express those views but we also shouldn't be normalizing those ideas by protecting them as officially as free speech. I'm think there's another answer in there that allows people the freedom of their beliefs while protecting other citizens from the ill effects of those beliefs.

UberTag

If he loses the Breitbart crowd, his approval rating will plummet.
Bannon and Breitbart are propping up his approval something fierce. It'll be bedlam if he kicks Bannon to the curb as the Republican party will feel emboldened that any link to Trump is poison and he'll effectively be damaged goods. And that's before Mueller and crew pounce.

That said, it's not in the financial interests of the Mercers for their horses to go to war with one another.

Discussing religion/politics over official work channels is incredibly unprofessional IMO
This is the attitude that needs to change.

I don't know really, I feel personally like the problem is actually the opposite in that people have become too social, mostly through the internet. In the olden days if you had an awful opinion or belief you held it inside because it was socially unacceptable for you to explore those beliefs in most communities. In today's modern world though you're only a few clicks a way from finding someone that not only agrees with you but will reinforce you with even worse beliefs and encourage you to recruit others.

Now I don't believe that the answer to that problem in censorship or restricting the rights of people to express those views but we also shouldn't be normalizing those ideas by protecting them as officially as free speech. I'm think there's another answer in there that allows people the freedom of their beliefs while protecting other citizens from the ill effects of those beliefs.
I think the word I should have used is factions, and not isolation. We aren't really isolated, but we become part of groups that isolate themselves from other groups - factions. Forcing people to interact outside of their factions is the solution.

I think the word I should have used is factions, and not isolation. We aren't really isolated, but we become part of groups that isolate themselves from other groups - factions. Forcing people to interact outside of their factions is the solution.
If you are unable to effectively work along side co workers due to animosity about political or religious beliefs. It's a major problem. Even before we became so divided it was taboo.

h1nch

I wholeheartedly disagree. See: Google manifesto bro. he openly shared his backwards political views on official internal company channels, and now Google has a shit storm to deal with.

I understand that so whenever I get into these debates (mostly here) I try my best to respect the viewpoint of those (usually everyone) that disagrees with me. The real main point here is that Putin and others who see the USA and its influence as a threat aren't going to stop trying to tear it apart. Either we adapt to those threats or we collapse from within. Either way Putin wins.

Or we can actively fuck with them. That's the next step after the sanctions.

Bannon and Breitbart are propping up his approval something fierce. It'll be bedlam if he kicks Bannon to the curb as the Republican party will feel emboldened that any link to Trump is poison and he'll effectively be damaged goods. And that's before Mueller and crew pounce.

That said, it's not in the financial interests of the Mercers for their horses to go to war with one another.

And I get the impression that Bannon's hands are more or less clean in regards to the Russians. So if he gets dumped I wonder if that has the potential to flip the alt-right base on Trump's collusion with Russia.

Public schools?

Top Bottom