• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are the most well known and influential black people in the gaming industry ?

forrest

formerly nacire
As a former co-worker and friend, I'll add Peet Cooper to the thread. He is currently an Art Director at Riot games, and was formerly a Senior Artist on Diablo 3 and has worked on many other projects in the game industry.

He also co-founded and is the V.P. and Creative Director of Gamers for Good, a non-profit organization that helps Gamers give back by connecting them with charity and service opportunities.

I can't say enough good things about the guy. I'm not sure what levels of influence someone needs to be mentioned in this thread, but his contributions to the industry are far beyond deserving.

Count me in as not having a clue Reggie was black until now, a definitive "today I learned" moment. Reggie's going to be hard to top as most influential, I think.

ITT: there is a huge diversity problem in the games industry.

Yeah, that was obvious even before clicking the thread. :/

Like for example we're celebrating Moonlight as representing a major win for black entertainment in the movie business. Has there ever been a comparable game?

I'm hesitant to say never, but there will never be a comparable game. Not in our lifetime.

Moonlight won because it's one of the things in black people's "lane:" sports/athletics and entertainment.

Literally anything outside of those two umbrellas is an exception/rarity for black people.

Look at this thread, and really look. Ignore all the responses of people with the loosest ties to the industry, and you're left with:

Jerry Lawson (tragically underappreciated)
Reggie Fils-Aime
Jace Hall

Like, remove the word "black" from this title and suddenly you have dozens of names to add.

tumblr_nrr4cuBNoE1rj4u71o1_1437337038_cover.png
But he's a liar tho.

Cels

very few people came to mind besides reggie sadly
i guess there's mark grigsby (Ssgt griggs in MW1, rapped the end song, formerly an animator with IW and now with Respawn), but he's not really that influential

there are people who didn't know reggie fils-aime was black?
i mean look at a photo of him.

reminds me when someone thought i was messing around when we were asked about our favorite black authors and i said alexander dumas.

xvPgop0.jpg

Miguel Percy-Fauntleroy Rossington IV

this is not a thread about greatest frauds in gaming

mclem

It's not 'well known' or 'influential' as such, but on a personal level, my first producer in the industry (on, among other things, the original Sniper Elite) - Emerson Best - was black.

220px-Mike_Pondsmith.jpg

Mike Pondsmith is a boss. This guy has touched a lot of great properties in both the tabletop and video gaming industries (even assisting on the original Ultima), and even spent time teaching game design at digipen.

Yup, I was just about to mention him. He's designing/consulting on Cyberpunk 2077 which now that Numenera and Zelda are here is my most anticipated title by far. I can wait but i'm not happy about it :)

Reggie is the only "well-known" Black person in the industry. If you want this to change, the best way to do that as a consumer is to buy games by Black developers. Most of the Black development community releases games for PC and there are high quality games on Steam that you can buy right now.

Matthew Crump was a childhood friend of mine. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago and he was only in his early 40's. He even had a video game award named after him.

Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation Award

It is given out at SXSW.

He was a great guy.

Malyse

Wow. I figured the gaming industry was white washed, but not to this extent. I really hope we can revisit this topic in the future with more black excellence. The lack of diversity is heartbreaking.

This is why I think indie games are so important.

Y

Off the top of my head, two black developers I can think of are Shaun Escayg (creative director of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) and Ru Weerasuriya (he's Sri Lankan but still, co-founder of Ready at Dawn and director of GoW: CoO and The Order: 1886).

Why would you call a Sri Lankan "black"? There is no relation,they are South asian.

I'm hesitant to say never, but there will never be a comparable game. Not in our lifetime.

Moonlight won because it's one of the things in black people's "lane:" sports/athletics and entertainment.

Literally anything outside of those two umbrellas is an exception/rarity for black people.

Look at this thread, and really look. Ignore all the responses of people with the loosest ties to the industry, and you're left with:

Jerry Lawson (tragically underappreciated)
Reggie Fils-Aime
Jace Hall

Like, remove the word "black" from this title and suddenly you have dozens of names to add.

You ain't lying. I hope I can help with this problem someday.

Mista Koo

Faustek

Fighting Game Communities own...Low Tier God. Hahahahha

1456290556088.png

Come on now. If we're going I to the fgc at least post the OG OG.

sOb9eHo.jpg

Scott Popular of the FRB and also lightning up the mean streets of Tokyo with his sweet dance moves.... Or nipples at everyone's eye lvl XD

But he's a liar tho.

Que? Lied about not being I to Naruto for the past year?

________

This thread is really depressing on so many levels because all I think of is white or Japanese devs.
Only ones I could think of was Mike Pondsmith and that was because his work on cyberpunk and that he is helping CDPR with Cyberpunk 2077.
And yes Reggie, for some reason I still think of him as a bser than a games person.

Rathorial

Wow this thread is so sad, when your naming voice actors & presenters who are famous from other industries (Hollywood) and random game journalists guy gets named, you know the video game industry has very little diversity.

For sure the video game industry lacks diversity, but this thread is also indicative of a similar if not larger problem in the industry...we have more known game journalists, voice actors, celebrities that come in from other industries and youtubers/livestreamers than we do known people who actually MAKE the games.

Seriously, most of the industry celebs we have are designers that have been in the industry for decades like Kojima, Miyamoto, Molyneux, or Schafer. Hell, without John Carmack and Satoru Iwata (RIP) doing earlier in career code-work, I'm pretty sure we'd have no widely known game programmers at all.

The people that do voices or cover games are most of what we get when it comes to celebrities, and without the indie industry using small teams/1-man teams we'd barely have any new blood that is really known by a lot of people within the enthusiast/core gamer subset, much less more casual consumers.

I think when it comes to non-indie developers in the west you don't get to hear names often. You'll only hear of the "auteurs" and more often than not the Japanese ones.

Since the J in JRPG refers to the country this should CRPG.

Yeah, wanted to comment similarly. It's a Cameroonian game, Africa is not a country. I know people aren't often treating it as such in a deliberately bad way but it's important to challenge.

For sure the video game industry lacks diversity, but this thread is also indicative of a similar if not larger problem in the industry...we have more known game journalists, voice actors, celebrities that come in from other industries and youtubers/livestreamers than we do known people who actually MAKE the games.

Seriously, most of the industry celebs we have are designers that have been in the industry for decades like Kojima, Miyamoto, Molyneux, or Schafer. Hell, without John Carmack and Satoru Iwata (RIP) doing earlier in career code-work, I'm pretty sure we'd have no widely known game programmers at all.

The people that do voices or cover games are most of what we get when it comes to celebrities, and without the indie industry using small teams/1-man teams we'd barely have any new blood that is really known by a lot of people within the enthusiast/core gamer subset, much less more casual consumers.

Very true. I know lots of black people working in the industry in the uk, from coding, production etc to marketing and publishing. None of them are gaming "celebrities" though, which is how you get mentioned in this thread. In general you can name very few people from industry, usually they are studio heads/senior producers or voice actors.

Austin Walker (Editor-In-Chief at Waypoint, formerly at Giant Bomb)
rzZ8emS.gif

Charles Webb (Mafia 3 senior writer, former Paste magazine writer)

Mafia 3 is one of the most politically relevant games of our time, so felt worthy to include him. Really touches on a lot of the realities living in the 60s and what is still happening today to fight social injustice. Goes into stuff about MLK Jr, police, race relations, backlash against protesting, that is still happening today like with Black Lives Matter (and the pushback to it). Some of the best storytelling in an open world crime game.

C5BXBDGXUAAHr98.jpg

C5BW_sMXAAA80zq.jpg

C5qf4XWWMAEKzuv.jpg

I think when it comes to non-indie developers in the west you don't get to hear names often. You'll only hear of the "auteurs" and more often than not the Japanese ones.

Since the J in JRPG refers to the country this should CRPG.

Yeah, wanted to comment similarly. It's a Cameroonian game, Africa is not a country. I know people aren't often treating it as such in a deliberately bad way but it's important to challenge.

Well the W in WRPG refers to the West... The W and the J refer to broad stylistic divisions. The Japanese style just happens to broadly correspond to a single country (whereas RPGs made in, say, Canada and RPGs made in the US tend to be more similar to one another hence the "W" moniker).

Kiro'o Games themselves are saying Aurion is an "African fantasy" game.

junpei

I wouldn't call him well know but the first black developer that i was aware of was omar kendall. He was the Lead Game Designer of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. After the game was released Sony cut ties with superbot entertainment and i cant seem to find where he went next .
latest

I know you all mean well, but holy shit, guys. LowTierGod? And all these randos that work in the industry... I wouldn't rank much higher than myself in terms of influence, honestly.

When I said earlier "remove the word black from the title and suddenly you instantly can easily name dozens of people," I'd start that list with like... Miyamoto, Carmack, Iwata, Naka, Kamiya, Kojima, Inafune, Igarashi, Bleszinkski, Zampella, Bushnell, Umehara, Ishiwatari, Mikami, Ikeda... The list starts out packed and just goes on and on and on. If any of those names are unfamiliar to you, google them and you can instantly understand the massive impact they've had on the industry. Either they're behind something industry/genre-defining, or an extremely high quality product (or series).

To see like... random people with jobs in games, or thin ties to the industry (voice actors???) on this list is completely disheartening.

Neither well known nor influential but I think Kiro'o Games deserve a mention as the developers of the first ARPG (African RPG) ever:

yFqr4jB.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207944

Thanks for this. This is the one good thing I've seen come of this thread. I will buy it full price.

Well this thread was a short rollercoaster of emotions.
From "oh no, there's going to be nobody" to "hell yeah, Reggie and Ngai" to "fuck, we're really scrounging for people to call 'industry' members" and then me being sad again.

Thread title was "well known and influential", but now it seems more like merely "who are the black people in the gaming industry?".
A lot of the folks aren't influential, or don't even make games.

BosSin

Lol triforce

triforce_16cover1.0.jpg

It's kinda depressing that this guy can be counted as a black person of note in the gaming community. We need more diverse public facing people in gaming (especially if they are in technical roles).

I don't doubt that developers have a diverse team, it's just that they are all behind the scenes.

Top Bottom