• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are female comedians disliked more than male comedians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There a pretty good theory that women are generally not as good at comedy because they are generally not socialized to be good at comedy. Men are expected to be charming, sociable, relatable and jovial in order to woo women.....while women are just generally trained to accept and enjoy this behavior out of men. They rarely have to be the one who charms and entertains a potential suitor. Men are trained for comedy as soon as puberty hits, women are expected to be a mostly passive and supportive audience.

The interesting flip side of this is that it's why lesbians tend to be solid comedians. They are used to having to be funny to charm women.
Yup.

Sounds sexist but makes sense.

Crud

Banned
Do women on GAF ever feel just straight hated? I mean not 1 female make some of yall laugh? Only men can 100% of the time?

FiggyCal

Banned
Well, that brings up a question: do people not like female comedians because of their supposed lack of skill, or because they know they're women?

I honestly think its the latter. Where people hear that female comedians are less funny and so they go and watch women doing stand up with the idea that they're not as funny as men. There are some genuinely hilarious stand up acts like, Bonnie McFarlane, Chelsea Handler and others mentioned in this thread.

Tenebrous

Do women on GAF ever feel just straight hated? I mean not 1 female make some of yall laugh?Only men can 100% of the time?

I've never laughed at a female standup. Ever. I've watched quite a few (although none in person), and I've not come close to laughing... Then again, 99% of the male standups I watch on TV nowadays are equally as shit.

Condom

I think there are just too few, making the average suck in comparison. I find them too forced and not that relatable.

Besides that I was thinking that as a male I would naturally find males more funny, weird that even females can't enjoy their gender's equivalent as much. How much of that is really true has to be researched though.

JDSN

Banned
Yeah sorry, while I love some movie/TV of the roles from comedians like Chelsea Peretti, Bamford Susie Essman (best part of Curb.btw), etc, I just cant stand their stand up and lord knows I tried.

Edit: Oh yeah, Joan Rivers is amazing.

Women are told they can't be funny, so most stop trying as much at about age six. It's all a power play, derived partly from how much more pleasure women get from laughter than men do.

Do women on GAF ever feel just straight hated? I mean not 1 female make some of yall laugh?Only men can 100% of the time?

Written jokes are different. You don't have to consciously acknowledge it was a female who wrote it and subconsciously be super sexist about it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
janeane garofalo is the only one that comes to mind as being actually funny.

Other stand ups usually resort to the usual jokes we've hurt a thousand times. About shopping, lazy men, their vibrators, their period, babies, and marriage.

Africanus

I feel perhaps certain people simply need to expand their television/stand-up viewing beyond their own country or what they have viewed before.

I don't believe this thread was made in intentional malice, and it would be nice to offer recommendations of female comedians one liked, as others have.

For me, this thread has been educational as I am unawares of people in comedy in general.

PSqueak

Banned
Surprised by the consensus. I've definitely laughed at female comedians. Kristen Schaal is the first to come to mind, probably because she's everywhere. Although I guess it says something that the other female characters on Bob's Burgers are played by men.

I dunno what's the excuse for Linda, but Tina originally was going to be a boy, as per the pilot, and had the exact same voice, which incredibly works pretty well for either sex.

I used to like stand up but now I can't stand it anymore. Male or female. But to this though I think there are some great female comedians, and some great male ones.

But I doubt Dane Cook (who sucks) would have ever even become remotely famous though if he was a woman with his comedic style.

dalin80

Banned
For example, a male comedian may have a better support group, better criticism, more opportunities to practice, perform, and refine his humour on average than a female comedian. Which would explain why women would have their jokes '"fall flat" more often than men.

As long as you have friends then you have the same opportunities to practice and get support and most clubs that do comedy nights are so desperate for performers that you could be a cyborg and you could on stage just be reading out Christmas cracker jokes so there are plenty of opportunities to perform regardless of your sex.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
This is strange, because in the black community I'd say there are plenty of respected female comedians. Mo'Nique, Sammore, Cheryl Underwood were all pretty respected. They don't do much comedy these days though.

but they all hit the same glass ceiling though

black comediennes that have made it "far" i can think of is Wanda Sykes, Aisha Tyler and.... i dunno

rexor0717

In my experience I find female comedians to be less funny on average, but I really enjoyed Chelsea Peretti's One of the Greats on Netflix. There are plenty of female comedians that I've enjoyed, but rarely evoke the same level of laughs that many male comedians do.

Takuan

There are a lot of funny women out there, but I can't think of a female stand up whose work I've enjoyed enough to seek out more. There could very well be a fundamental man/woman thing going on that explains it. I doubt it'd make any difference if someone was able to tell me why this is, but I'd be interested to read it.

FiggyCal

Banned
I used to like stand up but now I can't stand it anymore. Male or female. But to this though I think there are some great female comedians, and some great male ones.

But I doubt Dane Cook (who sucks) would have ever even become remotely famous though if he was a woman with his comedic style.

If Dane Cook was a woman, he wouldn't be able to make those hilarious erect penis jokes he's known for. Surely there's one woman that has a funnier act than he does.

Not in stand up. I chuckle sometimes. For example i think amy schumer is funny on her show and movies but i think her stand up is dreadful.

aly

No. I mean stand up wise I find most comedians unfunny and thinking about even less female stand up comedians funny. One reason being that there is just less of them. My favorite female comedians tend to be actresses and writers like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I also like Aisha Tyler as long as its not her hosting a Ubisoft Press Conference.

This is how I felt watching Whose Line. All the women SUCKED.

I figure the majority men make up of the show just had better chemistry. But I also find that male humour is more brash while women either arent crass enough or just not funny, or cant mix well with the guys because they lack the overwhelming presence.

You can see it with aisha as hostess too. I think the guys being guys are just not comfortable to make any demeaning jokes to Aisha, despite the fact that she's been a good hostess to the show.

Dont really watch much stand up to judge, but I think audience has a lot to do with it too. Maybe women comics struggle to appeal to a majority male audience. Has there ever been comedy shows with a majority female audience and female comic?

royalan

I think a potential issue here is that female comedians tend to tell jokes from a feminine perspective, especially when the topic is sex, and men are typically trained to relate to a feminine perspective,

If Dane Cook was a woman, he wouldn't be able to make those hilarious erect penis jokes he's known for. Surely there's one woman that has a funnier act than he does.

Well that's my point about that.

And oh yes there are plenty of women comedians that are better than him. I was just saying that women comedians are a lot less gimmicky I guess.

Cipherr

Wut?

The_Queens_of_Comedy_DVD.jpg

I remember hacking up a lung watching both the Kings and Queens of comedy tapes. Now granted that was a LONG ass time ago, but it was fine.

Takuan

This is how I felt watching Whose Line. All the women SUCKED.

I figure the majority men make up of the show just had better chemistry. But I also find that male humour is more brash while women either arent crass enough or just not funny, or cant mix well with the guys because they lack the overwhelming presence.

You can see it with aisha as hostess too. I think the guys being guys are just not comfortable to make any demeaning jokes to Aisha, despite the fact that she's been a good hostess to the show.

Dont really watch much stand up to judge, but I think audience has a lot to do with it too. Maybe women comics struggle to appeal to a majority male audience. Has there ever been comedy shows with a majority female audience and female comic?
I think Kathy Griffin's demo is mostly female. She's a pretty big act among stand ups in general.

99% of comedians are terrible. Women make up a very small portion of comedians. I'm not against the idea we just haven't had enough time yet to find a good one.

Either you've actively avoided the majority of female comics, or the idea of a woman making you laugh is so threatening to your masculinity that you won't allow it to happen. Both are pretty sexist, to be frank.

99% of comedians are terrible. Women make up a very small portion of comedians. I'm not against the idea we just haven't had enough time yet to find a good one.

And why do you think that is? Who do you think is discouraging so many women from trying to be funny or go into comedy?

There have been a few decent female comics, but in general they just aren't as good. My theory for why that is is that to be attractive females just have to be physically beautiful. That's all it takes to attract most men. But males typically need to have something else going on, so a lot of them resort to humor and develop it from a young age.

Ultima_5

There's a few I really like. I think amy schumer recently is really solid. She talks alot about sex stuff, but I look forward to hearing her branch out eventually.

Oersted

I don't think it's "female comedians" - I mean, some of the biggest comedians around today are women. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Melissa McCarthy... they just tend to be actresses and writers as opposed to stand-up comics.

Probably just due to historical pressure - stand-up comedy just feels "masculine" for some reason, and most female stand-up acts feel "forced," probably for those same reasons.

McCarthy has ridicolous hate here.

dalin80

Banned
Either you've actively avoided the majority of female comics, or the idea of a woman making you laugh is so threatening to your masculinity that you won't allow it to happen. Both are pretty sexist, to be frank.

Or he has simply yet to see one that has matched his tastes...

But no can't be that! Must be sexism!

Auctopus

Talk about a flammable title, OP.

I don't think I've ever seen a stand-up comedienne that's made me laugh. In the UK, we have Miranda Hart who is fucking awful. It's nothing to do with her being a woman, it's cause her comedy is dated and relies on her being an idiot. There's a Pakistani comedienne that only makes jokes about being Pakistani, this isn't really a bad thing but I don't relate to any of it.

I like Amy Poehler and Kate McKinnon.

Women are told they can't be funny, so most stop trying as much at about age six.

This is interesting actually: women seem to value guys who can make them laugh, but I dont imagine guys consciously value that quality.

I imagine girls growing up also dont try to be funny because humour requires some self deprecation, which girls may be too afraid to do, because they arent expected to be critical of things that may be flaws in themselves or other women

Girls are more conscious of weight, image, and fitting roles of being a women, so maybe that contributes to it too. I feel guys are more open to self deprecating humour with each other and other women, as it's expected that guys can be self deprecating while women arent.

I dont know, just guessing. Sort of like how boys who fart have a big laugh or suffer some embarrassment, but girls of course never fart ever. That kind of humour does sound developed through gender roles.

And why do you think that is? Who do you think is discouraging so many women from trying to be funny or go into comedy?
I think most comedians are miserable assholes and losers to be honest. All they have is their humor. Women can fall back on a lot more stuff than someone that looks and acts like Louis CK.

Most female standup comedians are bad, that's why they aren't liked as much.

Now what causes a higher percentage of female comedians to be worse than males? I have no clue.

entremet

Joan Rivers was amazing.

Of the current crop I like Schumer and Whitney Cummings.

People gotta remember that it takes a special kind of woman to do stand up and deal with hecklers, getting called names of all kinds, working seedy clubs with dudes looking for action at all time.

Whitney Cummings said she would be called "cunt" in public. Jokingly, of course, but it's still jarring coming from a stranger.

That's just a lot of hassle for any young female comic trying to break through.

When you factor that, there's a reason why they are less female comics.

She would be a fun person to have this silly drunken conversation with at a party, but as stand up comedy, it was really difficult to watch. I stopped it early.

I found this You tube comment hilarious even if I don't completely agree with it:
"Female comedians are awesome at comedy shows like this, you get a piss break, a cigarette, order another round of drinks and make it back just in time to see her awkwardly walk away."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom