• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Why I Quit My Dream Job at Ubisoft" (blog post from former AC: Syndicate developer)

Cleve

Not sure what I'm supposed to get out of this blog post?

It's a guy's blog post about his experiences in the industry, and what brought him to where he is now. It's not supposed to be something critical or deep.

He's not even strongly critical of Ubisoft, he's just relating his story. What were you expecting out of it?

DesuNe

Honestly surprised at the manner in which the production is passed about. I suppose it's just ignorance but I always thought it was kept with one team. No wonder bigger games are riddled with small issues, they just get overlooked as passed about.

I knew it was tough for devs but that's a really hard environment to thrive in. I'd like to hear about development in other studios.

Ted

It's a guy's blog post about his experiences in the industry, and what brought him to where he is now. It's not supposed to be something critical or deep.

He's not even strongly critical of Ubisoft, he's just relating his story. What were you expecting out of it?

I don't really know.

Seeing it here in gaming I expected something casting a critical light on x, y or z working practice in the games development industry. ;)

It reads like a diary piece. And there's nothing wrong with that, I just *ahem* don't understand *ahem* wasting time reflecting on past experiences with a large, much better known company, publicly on your studio site when you are already waist deep in your new exciting endeavor? Surely that should be the focus of your passion and creativity six days before your first game as a new company is launched?...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not sure what I'm supposed to get out of this blog post?

This Maxime chap didn't end up liking his career at a big corporate and therefore left to try and make it on their own. Is this the entire point of the piece? What in here is news?
Who said it was "news"?

I'm not really sure why I should care about the job satisfaction of this single individual when this is broadly the reality each and every day for millions and millions of hard working people across the globe?

I'm sure writing it was suitably cathartic and I guess it's a decent enough way to get your new studio name into the press but even after reading the Kotaku piece for context I still don't get what the actual point is for me the reader?
It's interesting for many people (apparently not you) to see an inside look at how many AAA games are made and what it's like working on such projects. It might serve as a cautionary tale for those who think working on AAA games is glamorous and cool, or it can just be an interesting story. If you don't think it is, well, okay... not sure why you'd post about that. I could easily ask you, "what am I supposed to get out of your posts in this thread?"

dLMN8R

It's weird seeing people react to something by trying to figure out what they should be outraged about.

And then, when they can't muster up some faux outrage over some stupid bullshit, they question why the article exists at all.

M3d10n

This "Hollywood-ification"of development is the reason I don't get excited about the prospect of working on one of these massive studios, even while my friends keep telling me I am more than enough qualified to apply for them.

Top Bottom