• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Spiderman's QTEs/button prompts get a free pass while other games got crucified?

Spinluck

*chuckles* smh

This post is so wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to begin, no offense, but it is. But I'm really curious on one thing, why do you think Uncharted (the trilogy) should get a free pass for its poor gunplay and overall combat? why exactly?

Btw, I'm so glad that ND wasn't thinking like you when creating UC4, because UC4 has significantly overhauled its combat system and gunplay.

I don't think it should get a pass and I was not defending it in my post. Read it again.

Vanquish and Max Payne 3 are literally designed around their combat first and foremost​.

On the flip I might as well complain that Vanished and Max Payne 3 have no puzzles to solve.

Btw, I think UC4 has some solid combat mechanics. Easily the best in the series in that regard. Not sure where you got that I was okaying mediocre combat lmao.

JOKERACN7

I don't think it should get a pass and I was not defending it in my post. Read it again.

Vanquish and Max Payne 3 are literally designed around their combat first and foremost​.

On the flip I might as well complain that Vanished and Max Payne 3 have no puzzles to solve.

Btw, I think UC4 has some solid combat mechanics. Easily the best in the series in that regard. Not sure where you got that I was okaying mediocre combat lmao.

Puzzles in UC series solve themselves, it's not sth to be proud of

You said we shouldn't expect UC to be MP3 or Vanquish, implying that it's okay for it to have a mediocre combat system and gunplay, I'm saying why? because of the puzzles?

Overall, no aspect should be sacrificed in favor of another, all of the elements should be at a good level, I never said that Spider-Man should have a combat system as deep as Bayonetta's, but it should be deep enough to not hurt the overall experience. This sums up my stance and I'm sorry if I wasn't transparent enough.

Angel_DvA

Discussed in the other thread, but the difference is that Uncharted set-pieces just take the regular basic controls and craft chaos around them. The situations are extreme, but you're never doing anything that you couldn't do with the moment-to-moment running, jumping, climbing, swinging, etc.

While here, you're not merely trying to navigate. You'd need to navigate while simultaneously saving people and interacting with objects, through actions beyond what is possible with the regular controls. While also wanting to capture the kind of reflexes and acrobatics that Spidey would perform.

Yeah, this.

fermcr

"Why Spiderman's QTEs/button prompts get a free pass while other games got crucified?"

... because it's perfectly fine Sony exclusives having QTEs. If other games have QTEs then it's bad. /s

Top Bottom