• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the Food in ‘Final Fantasy XV’ Is So Damn Realistic

Vex_

Banned
Dunno why i even peek in these threads

as if i don't already know what's going to happen when I see "Final Fantasy XV" in the title lol

This game is just like FF12, in a few years everyone's going to probably love it to death with all the ridiculous hate being thrown around

yup

BigEmil

Maybe for you
56A985A93E02790025

I love in-game food more than some dumb outfits
Need Yakuza 6 in the west asap

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dunno why i even peek in these threads

as if i don't already know what's going to happen when I see "Final Fantasy XV" in the title lol

This game is just like FF12, in a few years everyone's going to probably love it to death with all the ridiculous hate being thrown around

Probably, by then the game will have been fixed*.

LordKasual

Banned
They literally ignored almost every lesson learned from XIV.

I'm genuinely curious....

when people say this...what exactly are they talking about? Specifically?

Because the things that made XIV 1.0 bad and the things that are worth criticizing about FFXV are completely different.

Are people really believing this? Or are they just saying shit to sound extreme?

Tyaren

So let's clarify, the argument is now that you two schmucks understand XIV and how the models took up resources better than someone who worked on it.

That's a new one.
giphy.gif

A Final Fantasy FFXIV character model is not made of just 1000 polygons. That's worse than PS2 level character models.

Balthier (FFXII):
1-141125231057.jpg

1590 polygons.

Penelo (FFXII):
1-141126112001.jpg

1797 polygons.

Trojita

I'm genuinely curious....

when people say this...what exactly are they talking about? Specifically?

Because the things that made XIV 1.0 bad and the things that are worth criticizing about FFXV are completely different.

Are people really believing this? Or are they just saying shit to sound extreme?

Mismanagement of time and resources are a hallmark for both. Unfortunately FFXIV was also the thing that caused the FXIII trilogy that is apparently to blame for much of a the sidelining of Versus/FFXV.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I actually now think differently from what I expected that the high quality of the 3d food of FFXV it's working on its favor with the larger casual audience. It was a good idea. Also for a game fully based on the concept of travelling and camping what's wrong with having food looking so good?

LordKasual

Banned
Mismanagement of time and resources are a hallmark for both. Unfortunately FFXIV was also the thing that caused the FXIII trilogy that is apparently to blame for much of a the sidelining of Versus/FFXV.

What about FFXV was a mismanagement of time and resources?

They pushed out a canned game and an engine at the same time.

Trojita

What about FFXV was a mismanagement of time and resources?

They pushed out a canned game and an engine at the same time.

Where is there to start?

Developing two successive game engines in house that had enormous problems. It's becoming quite clear that licensing well engineered and documented engines is the way to go. Japanese companies didn't want to rely on 3rd party, western, engines because management sees the licensing fee as money lost per unit sold.

FFXV has only really been in development for 3 years. That is 7 years of nothing.

Most of its presentations to the public were a mess. While some demos might have been good for feedback, what was up with the Platinum Demo? The Titan Xbox showing. The Conan thing?

They spent way too much time on how the food looks, that it did remind me of FFXIV 1.0. At least spend some time on outfits.

Why does Kingsglaive and the Audi partnership exist? I can kind of understand why Brotherhood exists, but even that is questionable.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought some sincere love and care was put into the presentation. I loved it. It made me wonder if I could create some of those with similar real world ingredients!

A Final Fantasy FFXIV character model is not made of just 1000 polygons. That's worse than PS2 level character models.
I think you're completely failing to grasp the basics of Yoshida's argument regarding resource load and environment detail and substituting misrepresentations of his argument.

I'd suggest you actually take some time and watch his GDC talk. You might actually learn something about game development.

wiibomb

first time I enter I FF thread in a long time (not entering the OT)... what the hell happened here?

I love the food BTW, it is incredible, although there are sometimes where it goes to the uncanny valley, some very few like the sandwich on the chocobo ranch look like plastic. It mostly looks good, though.

LordKasual

Banned
Where is there to start?

Developing two successive game engines in house that had enormous problems. It's becoming quite clear that licensing well engineered and documented engines is the way to go. Japanese companies didn't want to rely on 3rd party, western, engines because management sees the licensing fee as money lost per unit sold.

FFXV has only really been in development for 3 years. That is 7 years of nothing.

Most of its presentations to the public were a mess. While some demos might have been good for feedback, what was up with the Platinum Demo? The Titan Xbox showing. The Conan thing?

They spent way too much time on how the food looks, that it did remind me of FFXIV 1.0. At least spend some time on outfits.

Why does Kingsglaive and the Audi partnership exist? I can kind of understand why Brotherhood exists, but even that is questionable.

Luminous has taken concepts from western licensed engines, they have mentioned that it was designed with ease of use in mind. Not only did they complete the game with it, the engine itself produces some amazing visuals on console with probably some of the best lighting effects in gaming right now. Certainly the best lighting effects in anything that can call itself "open world". Presentations to the public are not a "mismanagement of time and resources", it's called advertising lol.

The food looks good, just like the player models, the enemies, the environment...I don't see what the issue is. It couldn't have taken them that long to model the food, the way it looks is more a showcase of the game's ability to display material properties well than anything. The other quirky stuff is just Square Enix doing what they do best, being odd. This game reviewed very well, especially when you consider that it's coming directly off the 3 most divisive and faith-breaking Final Fantasy games ever, and the game went through development hell. All things considered, it makes no sense to compare XIV 1.0 to FFXV. XV is ultimately a relic from the same time period as FFXIII and FFXIV, the games born from the practices that created their shortcomings. The fact that people actually like this game despite its obvious flaws....it really makes it sound stupid when people compare XV's development cycle to FFXIV 1.0s. The most telling thing about FFXV's development is going to be whether or not Square uses Luminous Studio for another mainline game, be it FFXVI or something entirely new.

But for a cold-started, next-gen, open-world game from a Japanese studio notorious for complaining about "next gen" development? Nah man this game did well for itself, it could have been so much worse.

pashmilla

Banned
Something about the food unsettles me. It looks weirdly... rubbery? And the way it wobbles around like jelly is just off.

Stencil

I love the food in this game. I find myself seeking out campsites over hotels just so I can see what a new recipe looks like. The only bummer is I'm cheating myself out of exp boosts. Also, on PS4 I've noticed that the texture won't fully pop in until after Ignis has set the food down, which is funny looking.

I think the pointless modeling of the food is where you can easily see how troubled the development process was.

Honestly, why would you ever sleep at camp? The small stat boost is completely worthless in comparison to getting an EXP boost at hotels/inns. Not to mention, the food that is actually worth eating requires the player to waste their time finding very specific ingredients. The entire system is more trouble then its actually worth.

Trojita

Luminous has taken concepts from western licensed engines, they have mentioned that it was designed with ease of use in mind. Not only did they complete the game with it, the engine itself produces some amazing visuals on console with probably some of the best lighting effects in gaming right now. Certainly the best lighting effects in anything that can call itself "open world". Presentations to the public are not a "mismanagement of time and resources", it's called advertising lol.

It's pretty, but so are Unreal games.

They spent years making an engine that was used for ONE game that arrived 10 years after announcement in a hobbled state. Genius investment there.

wikipedia said:
Talking about sharing the engine, Merceron said that he advised the company to avoid sharing between companies or internally between games until the engine had been finalized with the released game: this resulted in Luminous Studio being restricted to what would become Final Fantasy XV during development, while other major next-generation titles would use other outsourced engines

The food looks good, just like the player models, the enemies, the environment...I don't see what the issue is. It couldn't have taken them that long to model the food, the way it looks is more a showcase of the game's ability to display material properties well than anything. The other quirky stuff is just Square Enix doing what they do best, being odd. This game reviewed very well, especially when you consider that it's coming directly off the 3 most divisive and faith-breaking Final Fantasy games ever, and the game went through development hell. All things considered, it makes no sense to compare XIV 1.0 to FFXV. XV is ultimately a relic from the same time period as FFXIII and FFXIV, the games born from the practices that created their shortcomings. The fact that people actually like this game despite its obvious flaws....it really makes it sound stupid when people compare XV's development cycle to FFXIV 1.0s. The most telling thing about FFXV's development is going to be whether or not Square uses Luminous Studio for another mainline game, be it FFXVI or something entirely new.

Modeling stuff isn't cheap and they spent a decent amount of time on the highly detailed food that could have been spent elsewhere. This wastes time and resources on artists, modelers, programmers, and management.

But for a cold-started, next-gen, open-world game from a Japanese studio notorious for complaining about "next gen" development? Nah man this game did well for itself, it could have been so much worse.

For a lot of people it is getting a "You tried" award.

LordKasual

Banned
It's pretty, but so are Unreal games.

They spent years making an engine that was used for ONE game that arrived 10 years after announcement in a hobbled state. Genius investment there.

Again, you can't even say this until we see if they use Luminous for another game. Hell, the XIV ARR team even stated that the engine ARR used was an offshoot from what they were working on with Luminous.

And Square Enix is a large enough company with a unique enough vision for them to justify wanting to just have their own in-house engine. I think Luminous was primarily motivated by Square wanting a visual engine that kind of eases itself closer to the way they do CG movies? I'm not sure, but the look it produces is quite unlike what i've seen on Unreal 4. Which isn't to say it's particularly better, it's just different, and I think the way KH3 looks right now kind of shows why Square would be at its best using its own engine.

But KH3 is definitely going to look amazing one way or another. They could have just dumped their own shit after Crystal Tools failed and spent their time with Luminous getting accustomed to Epic's stuff. But unless Luminous is only ever used for FFXV and its offshoots, I don't think its fair to call it a waste of time.

Modeling stuff isn't cheap and they spent a decent amount of time on the highly detailed food that could have been spent elsewhere. This wastes time and resources on artists, modelers, programmers, and management.

But you can apply that to anything. XV uses PBR, so the process behind them making pretty food can't be all that much different from them making a pretty rock.

And, again, what exactly are you inferring they should have directed the food model time towards...? The characters and enemies certainly aren't lacking any time or effort, and there are tons of them.

For a lot of people it is getting a "You tried" award.

Yeah well, such is game development.

Alot of people here would much rather them go back to making 97' style oldschool turnbased JRPGs. I'm personally glad they moved forward with the series, and that's also a sentiment reflected in the vast majority of the reviews.

I think the pointless modeling of the food is where you can easily see how troubled the development process was.

Honestly, why would you ever sleep at camp? The small stat boost is completely worthless in comparison to getting an EXP boost at hotels/inns. Not to mention, the food that is actually worth eating requires the player to waste their time finding very specific ingredients. The entire system is more trouble then its actually worth.

I love seeing people pass on game changing buffs to get a tiny xp boost, especially considering that going from level 50 to 99 takes 15 minutes in the post game.

PseudoViper

I've said this before and I'll say this again, the food looks better than the game itself.

Wasted resources in my honest opinion, and to be frank, I'm highly disappointed with FFXV. Nothing like I was expecting.

Peroroncino

I'd prefer more costumes/clothes than photorealistic food that jiggles, that s*** only made me hungry while playing at night.

Trojita

LordKasual, there is a reason why Final Fantasy VII:Remake is being made on Unreal.

Trace

Banned
I've said this before and I'll say this again, the food looks better than the game itself.

Wasted resources in my honest opinion, and to be frank, I'm highly disappointed with FFXV. Nothing like I was expecting.

Wasted effort on what? The artists making the food weren't going to be spent on fixing the story instead. And it's not like the game is missing content.

Trace

Banned
Is this where we laugh?

Yes and no. What I meant is that there's a healthy variety of areas and enemies, the story cuts and lack of costumes wouldn't be fixed by throwing more artists at them unless upper management changed priorities. It's pretty obvious that the lack of costumes in the game is not because of lack of artist time, but because they're going to sell a shitload of them as DLC.

jiggle

But you can apply that to anything. XV uses PBR, so the process behind them making pretty food can't be all that much different from them making a pretty rock.

And, again, what exactly are you inferring they should have directed the food model time towards...? The characters and enemies certainly aren't lacking any time or effort, and there are tons of them.
Armors/gear/attire
It's seems so obvious, to me
They created this big ass world
And fill it with garbage for you to find
Like literally having a prince digging through garbage for garbage

vareon

The food in this game is sublime. Best thing in the game.

People are like storing EXP for weeks and then banking them in the 3x hotel. Fuck that. I'm going to camp whenever I see a spot and have my bro Ignis cook his impeccable recipeeh.

themoose5

Neo Member
I had 2 reactions to that article, first that food looked amazing in game. Like really impressively amazing; one of those little touches that adds that much more to the immersion of the game.

My second reaction was that it feels weird that the creators would be bragging about the creation of the in game food when the game's development was so fraught with setbacks, delays, and still came out with issues that will need major patching yet to come. The high fidelity food seems like something you focus on when you have extra resources and the game is already nailed down and amazing. Idk if it's actually the case but it comes off like their priorities were extremely far off during development to have the food be that amazing when the game still needs some major fixing after release.

I still don't want to take anything away from the food models in the game...freaking amazing!

It's also a reminder of development team priorities.

How do you figure? Do you think they went up to Tabata and asked "yo we're running out of dev time, what do we need to finish" and he said "THE FOOD IS PRIORITY NUMBER 1"?

Games are developed in parallel. The food was probably among the first things finished considering they're static models that you can't interact with. The stuff that IS missing is vastly more intricate. More likely than not they ran out of dev time after the food models were done.

bomblord1

Banned
Okay but like... this is what 1000 tris looks like:

maryW.jpg

That thing above doesn't look at ALL like 1000 tris.

Each one of these outlined areas supposed to be a single polygon? Because if so I only count about 250 exposed ones. Even doubling that to account for the other side of the body that's only 500

Trace

Banned
Each one of these outlined areas supposed to be a single polygon? Because if so I only count about 250 exposed ones. Even doubling that to account for the other side of the body that's only 500

A bunch of it is made out of quads tho, and each of those would be 2 tris. So 1000 sounds about right.

Top Bottom