• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the Food in ‘Final Fantasy XV’ Is So Damn Realistic

bomblord1

Banned
Found a cool chart
MC-Poly-635x421.png

1000 is definitely super low poly for a Main Character

LordKasual

Banned
If you can't take someone's fair criticism of a game and its development?

lol

same song and dance in every thread.

Gaf paints a picture of FFXV that not even the worst of the official reviewers of the game would

It's not that I can't take it. I just know where it's coming from and thus know it's pointless to even bother. But it's whatever, people can feel whatever they want to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

The latter part was a bit hyperbole but

The lack of outfits, differing weapon models per weapon, and a bunch of other things is noticeable.

I assume part of what that poster meant was the picking up blue and red lights as items and most aren't very special. It's nothing like opening up a chest.

DC1

The food part of the game represents misdirected wasted effort in retrospect.

They're nothing but glorified stat modifiers.

I would've had the artists & modelers make outfits for the characters instead.Or just do somethibg more worthwhile.

Most players ended up skipping the food cutscenes or eating a handful of dishes over & over again as they do repetitive hunts.

It's always the little things that make me smile. Don't take away my smile.

cackhyena

Guys do you think we could smooth out this Titan segment, it's kind of rough...what's that? The chicken doesn't glisten enough? 10-4.

suzu

The food is one of my favorite things about the game, but they should've worked more on other stuff (like outfits).

wmlk

I really like the attention to detail here. Makes camp and meals and diners feel comforting and worth the wait for the characters.

The food buffs are awesome too. Game changers.

jiggle

The latter part was a bit hyperbole but

The lack of outfits, differing weapon models per weapon, and a bunch of other things is noticeable.

I assume part of what that poster meant was the picking up blue and red lights as items and most aren't very special. It's nothing like opening up a chest.
But I was being literal :(
Like I literally found a blue sparkle in lestallum's trashbins that turned out to be another garbage item

Aon

Found a cool chart
MC-Poly-635x421.png

1000 is definitely super low poly for a Main Character

Absolutely, although in an MMO setting, since there might be 50 'main characters' on screen at one time, they presumably require a lower polycount.

Not that I'm saying 1000 is the right number, as it honestly looks higher than that to me, although it'd be weird if the game's actual creators totally misrepresented it at GDC just to make a point about prioritisation.

Tyaren

Absolutely, although in an MMO setting, since there might be 50 'main characters' on screen at one time, they presumably require a lower polycount.

Not that I'm saying 1000 is the right number, as it honestly looks higher than that to me, although it'd be weird if the game's actual creators totally misrepresented it at GDC just to make a point about prioritisation.

My initial guess of about 20k might have been a bit too generous. Now, after looking at a few more models, I think it's more like 10k-15k per character. Still very far from 1k.
As I already mentioned, the FF artists are very good at making even low polygon models look great. Lightning in FFXIII was made up of about 9k polygons for comparison...

30989081674_4bf7d20b56_o.png

...which was actually pretty low polygon in comparison to other PS3 era character models.
FFXV made a huge jump in polygon count to about 100k for one character:

FFXV_CEDEC-1.jpg

Alone Noctis' hair is made up of 20k polygons. O:
That's like a whole Soul Calibur IV/V character model on his head.

I love seeing people pass on game changing buffs to get a tiny xp boost, especially considering that going from level 50 to 99 takes 15 minutes in the post game.

It's not "tiny" at all. Especially when you're going through the game for the first time. Being able to match the level of an enemy is a lot more important than getting a worthless stat boost. Getting the exp boost allows you to progress the game faster, while camping and eating food results in a lot more grinding for ingredients and exp.

And yeah, 99% of the people who pick up this game aren't thinking "yeah. getting more experience is stupid. I can just use this obscure trick found on the internet to get max level when I reach the end of the game." Seriously, what world are you living in?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Absolutely loved Ignis's cooking. I loved it so much I'd buy a spin-off game that just focuses on the cooking.

Mailbox

It's not "tiny" at all. Especially when you're going through the game for the first time. Being able to match the level of an enemy is a lot more important than getting a worthless stat boost. Getting the exp boost allows you to progress the game faster, while camping and eating food results in a lot more grinding for ingredients and exp.

And yeah, 99% of the people who pick up this game aren't thinking "yeah. getting more experience is stupid. I can just use this obscure trick found on the internet to get max level when I reach the end of the game." Seriously, what world are you living in?

Actually, you're pretty wrong here. I'm doing a level 1 run right now and i have no issues deal with enemies level 29 and sometimes above. this game isn't particularly difficult if you play straight without exp buffs, but can be a pain if you don't food buff yourself (necromancer petrification and naga toad for instance). and if you know where to buy stuff you don't need to grind shit.

honestly i'd say its a much better strategy to go with attack buffs and hp buff or defense buffs than exp buffs and multipliers.

Mailbox

My initial guess of about 20k might have been a bit too generous. Now, after looking at a few more models, I think it's more like 10k-15k per character. Still very far from 1k.
As I already mentioned, the FF artists are very good at making even low polygon models look great. Lightning in FFXIII was made up of about 9k polygons for comparison...

30989081674_4bf7d20b56_o.png

...which was actually pretty low polygon in comparison to other PS3 era character models.
FFXV made a huge jump in polygon count to about 100k for one character:

FFXV_CEDEC-1.jpg

Alone Noctis' hair is made up of 20k polygons. O:
That's like a whole Soul Calibur IV/V character model on his head.

lightning being only 9k polys is crazy

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Something about the food unsettles me. It looks weirdly... rubbery? And the way it wobbles around like jelly is just off.
It's because they used photogrammetry, which unless it's incredibly high quality can produce a very rubbery looking model. So things like liquid are just textures and aren't using any sort of fluid sim at all.
1287803615968818726.gif

Actually, you're pretty wrong here. I'm doing a level 1 run right now and i have no issues deal with enemies level 29 and sometimes above. this game isn't particularly difficult if you play straight without exp buffs, but can be a pain if you don't food buff yourself (necromancer petrification and naga toad for instance). and if you know where to buy stuff you don't need to grind shit.

honestly i'd say its a much better strategy to go with attack buffs and hp buff or defense buffs than exp buffs and multipliers.

I'm really not, it is not realistic for anyone to play this game for the first time and skip out on exp boosts. Also, yeah, you can do a level 1 playthrough because you've already beaten the game and know this games tricks and secrets. A person going through XV for the first time isn't going to waste a night buffing their hp. They are far more enticed by permanent stat increases AND getting more AP points.

mothball

I think it might've just been a simple mistake of translating 万 (10,000) as K.

StereoVsn

I love the food prep in the game and Ignis is my main bro. I mean he cooks, drives me around, buffs the party, heals, and has very hard hitting skills.

That said why would you want to lose hotel experience buffs? For food you can either buy at the right diner or camp right after sleeping (I usually use 1.5 exp buffs till I gather a bit more using magic exp boosts for the more expensive ones).

Bl@de

100% worth it. Playing FFXV always makes me hungry. The food design is simply perfect. I love attention to detail like that. It's something special compared to your typical health items.

Pretty sure the budget of the Onigiris in this game is the entire budget of Gears of War 4. Like damn does that look good. And don't get me started on the cup noodles.

Good thing they had their priorities straightened out and spent such a significant amount of time on an aspect of the game that becomes trivial as soon as you're able to eat at a certain restaurant in a certain city.

Camping also doesn't make sense until you're level-capped, so for most players, that's a significant amount of XP lost just because they wanted to eat Ignis' rubber food.

Pretty sure the budget of the Onigiris in this game is the entire budget of Gears of War 4. Like damn does that look good. And don't get me started on the cup noodles.
Artists don't get paid much.

Top Bottom