• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you don't need game reviews in your life

catbrush

I don't understand people who want a technical fact sheet from a game review. Use analytical thought when reading a review to see how the reviewer's opinion fits with your own tastes. Gaf has got to be one of the worst places to look for "objective" purchasing advice. It's like an echo chamber of overreactions, with the constant white noise of the bandwagon. At least journalists will actually play a game before writing their opinion.

conman

There are undoubtedly good reasons to ignore reviews, but those in the OP are universally terrible reasons.

1) If I wanted a fact sheet, I would just read the publisher's press release.

2) Being more skilled at games doesn't make someone a better reviewer.

3) Everyone has an opinion, but a good professional writer can explain the "how" and the "why" of an opinion better than amateurs.

4) There's no such thing as an "objective" playthrough. People play differently. That's what makes games games. Not to mention that playthrough videos are filled with subjective commentary.

5) Buying games in order to form opinions is not an option for most people. It's also wasteful and silly.

Orca

If people actually read the words in the reviews we might be better off. Even if sometimes the stuff they say in the reviews themselves seem to contradict whatever score or positive they gave it.

It's probably just down to personal opinion. If a review mentions there is some problem that you find important - framerate drops, so-so writing, etc... - then you'd think the score should be low. If the writer doesn't find that issue as important, they wouldn't take as much off the score. So now the score is accurate for them, but 'contradicts' for you.

Hugstable

Banned
I can't speak to why this thread was made today but I can say that this topic has come up on GAF for years. There are plenty of people like me who find reviews to be useless and can't understand why gamers put so much importance on them.

I feel the reason for this is everyone takes reviews too seriously and think that if they agree with it than reviews are good, but once it says something negative about a game they were hyped for they start to hate reviews.

Reviews are supposed to be supplemental, something that gives you info from both the positive and negative so you can better understand whether you are interested in a game or not, and whether it's worth taking the 60$ risk. It's silly to think I can just spend 60$ on a game to figure out whether I'm gonna like the game or not, I'm not rich enough to deal with the hype process that many seem to go through. Reviews and previews help me differeinate information by having multiple sources. When there are reviews, there isn't just 1 or 2 reviews, there are tons with tons of various opinions and information.

RM8

I don't know how anyone can't simply watch some gameplay and decide. Really, it works :p Reviews are completely meaningless to me, or at least scores. I do have some trusted reviewers but even then I don't let them decide for me if a game they don't like looks good to me.

TalOrtRal

You're probably an expert in video games

That section is a really good point. A lot of us have as much or more time into this hobby than a lot of reviewers and have really narrowed down our genres/tastes.

Why should I care about the opinion of people I don't even know?

This I don't really agree with. To me, the thing to do is find your favorite reviewers, the ones whose opinions you generally agree with and whose writing you enjoy. Then that handful of journalists doesn't become someone "I don't even know". You know them and have a reader/writer relationship with them. That's a lot of the enjoyment for me.

I only read reviews for technical information these days. Stuff like bugs at launch is stuff I need to know if I'm going to lay 40 smackers down on a new release, but even reviews aren't covering that shit these days, and they seem to skim over important technical details like that. The rest of the review is just an opinion piece I can happily skim over if I want. Totalbiscuit fills the gap for information about that on PC at least, with his quick looks and port reports.

adj_noun

Is there a site devoted to breaking down and critiquing things like theme, narrative structure, character development, etc. in games?

Closest I can think of is Extra Credits sometimes.

I don't need reviews I just look for information. I want to have an idea of what's in the game and decide for myself whether or not that appeals to me, not hear your opinion about it. Why should that matter to me? You're nothing to me.

I think Giant Bomb have the right idea with reviews. Find someone you know whose opinions you trust. I stopped reading platform specific magazine reviews back in the PS2 era because of the bias they had towards PS2 exclusives even if they weren't any good (Giving Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness a 9 out of 10). I've a few places I trust and know have similar opinions about games as I do and will read all their reviews for games I'm on the fence about.

JPS Kai

Forcing a score to my reviews is the worst part of writing. It feels quite subjective, because it's difficult to tell whether I should grade the game towards others in the genre, other games in the series, or just general accessibility. I try to take myself out of the situation and understand the game as a gamer that's never thought of playing the game before but it doesn't always work out. There are some games that I would love to go back and regrade after reflection.

Hugstable

Banned
Forcing a score to my reviews is the worst part of writing. It feels quite subjective, because it's difficult to tell whether I should grade the game towards others in the genre, other games in the series, or just general accessibility. I try to take myself out of the situation and understand the game as a gamer that's never thought of playing the game before but it doesn't always work out. There are some games that I would love to go back and regrade after reflection.

I agree, scores are pretty useless, and the scores only seem to be used as fan war fodder these days for those who don't like to even read reviews. I really wish more would adopt even Kotaku's Yes or No system.

Slo

Not only do I agree with the OP, but I'll go one step further and say that I'm annoyed by the faux sophistication that some people attach to game reviewers. Like people are swirling brandy in front of a roaring fire and reading the works of Jeff Gerstmann.

Reading GAF OTs has to be the single worst way to tell if a game is good or not.

Generally the OTs are full of hyped up people who are justifying their purchases to the world. Even more so if a game is an exclusive, in which case the OT is beyond useless.
Yes but you can usually filter the overly positive hyperbole with little effort.

If someone says "OMFG Game of the fucking forever!!", its probably a slight exaggeration.

Nothing personal against game reviewers, but they are pretty much useless. Even the best review pales in comparison to the hundreds to thousands of opinions I can gather just here on Neogaf.

Also, since I'm not a sucker I don't preorder games. Since I don't preorder games I don't need an opinion before the game releases. I guess if I was a sucker that preordered games then in that situation I might need some kind of early review that only videogame journalists have access to.

I agree, scores are pretty useless, and the scores only seem to be used as fan war fodder these days for those who don't like to even read reviews. I really wish more would adopt even Kotaku's Yes or No system.
I really wish people would stop saying that people only use scores as confirmation bias or fanboy wars or whatver because the idea is a huge pile of bullshit

Hugstable

Banned
I really wish people would stop saying that people only use scores as confirmation bias or fanboy wars or whatver because the idea is a huge pile of bullshit

Then what else usually happens in review threads? Because alot of the review threads I've seen are pretty much that.

Gaming press has sort of been moving toward a personality based editor system. If you don't like it, it's sort of terrible for you. In the nineties, most reviews were sort of faceless paragraphs that were very unopinionated. Nowadays, you have to know the reviewers and know what they like.

For me, it works out. I'm fully aware of the types of personalities at Gamespot, IGN, and GiantBomb. I know who to look for and what opinions they have. Whatever they don't like I can usually figure out why. It's a lot like asking a friend their opinion on a game.

Now with Live from Playstation ( or twitch or ustream ) and SharePlay there is even less reason to pay attention to reviews. If I want to see how a game looks, ill watch someone else play that is competent at playing the game or play it via SharePlay.

sora87

I've never allowed game reviews to impact my decision to buy a game and never will. You get some that are alright but for the most part I just read it like "...what?" especially stuff from Polygon etc.

JPS Kai

I've never allowed game reviews to impact my decision to buy a game and never will. You get some that are alright but for the most part I just read it like "...what?" especially stuff from Polygon etc.

I'm the other way around. I never would have picked up Valiant Hearts (and soon to be buying This War of Mine) if it wasn't for reading for game reviews beforehand.

I don't know what to think.

I write reviews, even did it "professionally" for a time, but I hardly ever read them. Opinions rarely sell me on games.

I think it's generally a pretty good idea to get more than one account of pretty much anything before making your mind up.

Some opinions may hold more value than others if you know and trust them from previous experience, but it's never a bad thing to consider as many opinions as possible.

Enjoyment of a game is entirely subjective so it's never going to be an exact science. Even if you agree with every review a journo has done in the past, it doesn't mean that you always will.

This does complement my post well!

Wabba

Of course i have to read reviews. In the same way that i watch IMDB before movies i see Metacritic before buying a game. I don't have time to play more then 5-6 games a year so instead of playing them myself i watch reviews and pick the best ones according to what a previously wanted. I don't care if a game got 9.5 or 9.4 but i care if a game got 7.7 instead of 9.5.

Not only do I agree with the OP, but I'll go one step further and say that I'm annoyed by the faux sophistication that some people attach to game reviewers. Like people are swirling brandy in front of a roaring fire and reading the works of Jeff Gerstmann.

Agreed 100%. Game reviews suffer from the same problem as music reviews: enjoyment of a game is subjective enough that reviews can't tell you the only important thing about a game: is it fun? Apart from glaring technical or design flaws, game reviews never tell me anything I want to know.

I really don't understand why some people on this board hold game reviews and reviewers in such high regard. I think a lot of people need validation of their opinions.

Mooreberg

I have stuck with watching game play on GameTrailers, Gamersyde, etc. since 2005. Reviews now are not even telling people when the game is broken. Pretty much worthless.

RibMan

Excellent topic.

For me, it comes down to whether or not I can trust the ability of reviewers to do their job correctly. Unfortunately, the answer to that leans more towards 'No' than 'Yes'. Take one look at the Metacritic pages of the broken games over the past year. If that doesn't tell you that these guys can't do their jobs correctly then nothing ever will.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If people started to ignore game reviews completely and just used forums and youtubers to figure out whether they should purchase a game or not then all you're doing is shifting the power from one set of people to another. Publishers will just put their marketing dollars into buying time on youtubers and flooding forums with viral marketers. These things already happen but it would just be worse.

Reviews are fine, youtubers are fine, forum opinions are fine. Just get the info you need from wherever and make your own decision. Learn to filter out the bullshit.

A lot if games I like seem to review like shit anyway and if I was to purchase games based off of review scores I would have missed out on some of my favorite games.

Most mainstream game media is becoming all tabloidy and clickbaity. I will still read a review or watch some video reviews here and there just for entertainment but I don't let it sway my opinion of a game in the least.

This whole new "next gen" gaming checklist shit is so annoying as well. "It's not open world", "it doesnt do anything new". These expectations people have of what should be in games these days is ridiculous IMO. Like everything needs to innovate or something.

I just like to play games. I know what I like and am willing to try anything. I don't need somebody whos job it is to be critical of something tell me what I might enjoy about something. I'd rather find that out for myself.

It's probably just down to personal opinion. If a review mentions there is some problem that you find important - framerate drops, so-so writing, etc... - then you'd think the score should be low. If the writer doesn't find that issue as important, they wouldn't take as much off the score. So now the score is accurate for them, but 'contradicts' for you.
I agree with what you are saying but I was talking about contradictions made by the reviewer themselves in one review. For example "X is bad and should not be in the game" a paragraph or 2 later "X is great!"

This isn't common though.

Aaron D.

I don't trust game reviews anymore at all after "oscar worthy" GTA IV and NieR game "reviews". Fuck them. They are either paid or have no taste.

Not to single you out, but this personifies my reservations over the whole premise of the OT.

It honestly reads like naive adolescent angst against "The Man". A phase most of us all go through to be sure, that is conversely left behind when we no longer need to stand out by being contrarian.

Professional reviewers aren't the bad guy. I imagine most are completely honest, genuine and do the best they can. You have to have some level of investment & passion for the subject to make a career of it as the wages are generally low and the job market unstable.

I can read a review and still think for myself. And some reviews I will completely disagree with (PC Gamer gave Farming Simulator 15 a 40% and it's my GOTY). But that doesn't mean the system is broken. It only means I need to go in with eyes wide open. No system is entirely perfect.

Throwing out the whole review establishment because of some real or perceived inconsistencies just strikes me as incredibility naive and juvenile. As I said, nothing personal to those who back the OT, just my take.

Melchiah

A lot if games I like seem to review like shit anyway and if I was to purchase games based off of review scores I would have missed out on some of my favorite games.

Most mainstream game media is becoming all tabloidy and clickbaity. I will still read a review or watch some video reviews here and there just for entertainment but I don't let it sway my opinion of a game in the least.

This whole new "next gen" gaming checklist shit is so annoying as well. "It's not open world", "it doesnt do anything new". These expectations people have of what should be in games these days is ridiculous IMO. Like everything needs to innovate or something.

I just like to play games. I know what I like and am willing to try anything. I don't need somebody whos job it is to be critical of something tell me what I might enjoy about something. I'd rather find that out for myself.

It always makes me cringe, when I see a reviewer mention something like that, particularly the open world mantra. New experiences are of course welcome, but I mostly bought a new system for better visuals; same gameplay mechanics I've grown to love dressed in a better form. Truth be told, I can't think of any real innovations in gameplay, that would have been introduced after the PS1 days, apart from the online features, and I'm not really yearning for them either.

Agreed. With all the resources now game reviews are archaic like music reviews became 15 years ago. Like poetry, the only people who appreciate written game reviews are people who want to write written game reviews.

I get it. Reviews aren't perfect, and we all have a game we love that reviewed badly.

But whenever you decide to ignore reviews, the marketers win. Because at the end of the day, that's what the choice is—you buy based on reviews, or you buy based on the game's marketing.

Y'know how we complain the game developers don't prioritize frame-rate or resolution? Isn't funny how those are the two things that don't really show up in Youtube videos? And just generally speaking, Youtube videos will always make the games with better graphics seem better, regardless of how they play.

And similarly, the reason there are so few new video game IP's is because people are much more likely to buy new entries in a series they've enjoyed before, than they to take a chance on something brand new. Unless they base their decisions on reviews.

Agreed. With all the resources now game reviews are archaic like music reviews became 15 years ago. Like poetry, the only people who appreciate written game reviews are people who want to write written game reviews.

Well, the more you know. I had no idea that I wanted to write game reviews.

Redundant.

I just don't believe the conspiracy theories that companies are paying for review scores on the major websites.

Is there any hard evidence of this going on, other than that Gamespot kerfuffle years and years ago? Don't you think we'd be hearing more about if there was?

Top Bottom